PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem Festival 2009 -- Burgettstown, PA -- August 1st, 2009

licksandteeches
08-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Venue:Pittsburgh Post Gazette Pavillion
I'm the source

I was there all day and it kicked ass. Better than last year's mayhem fest for sure. Didn't watchManson, Trivium, Mushroomhead, or Lost Chapter because I just don't like those bands. I watched a little bit of God Forbid's set and they're pretty bad ass, I've never seen them live before and I rarely listen to them but damn do they put on a show. I also watched just a little of All That Remains. I've seen them before and they're pretty solid live but I was more concerned with getting a good spot for Behemoth.

Alright the first band of the day was White Chapel. I have one of their cd's and it's pretty good but they were some what of a disappointment live. The drummer seemed sketchy(his double bass was sloppy) and I don't really understand the 3 guitarists but they still were decent. Didn't write down their setlist.
Not the tightest band live-5/10

Second band I fully watched was Job for a Cowboy. This was my 4th time seeing these guys and say what you will about them but they show up to fuck shit up every time I've seem them whether it's at a big show like this or playing some bum fuck club in the Strip. Can't remember the full setlist but they played these songs(in some order)-
Knee Deep
Unfurling a Darkened Gospel
Embtombment of a Machine
Embedded
Altered from Cathechization
Regurgitated Disinformation
I wanted to hear more stuff from Genesis but o well, they were still bad ass as always-8/10

Next up on this stage was Behemoth. I've seen them before in a headlining show and they kicked ass, it was in a church actually, kinda ironic. I was pumped to see these guys again and as soon as I stepped in the pit it was chaos.Here's the list(in order)-
Slaves Shall Serve
At The Left Hand Ov God
Conquer All
Demigod
Ov Fire and The Void
Chant For Ezkaton 2000
I Got Erection
Bad ass setlist for a bad ass band. That new song kicks ass-9/10

And then finally The Black Dahlia Murder went on stage. A lot you people on this site don't like this band, I can't see why. Their music's melodic, heavy, arranged well, and they have a distinctive sound that you immediately know it's them. Plus they're a phenomenal live band,this was my 5th time seeing them and I wasn't disappointed the least. They came out to the Tim and Eric intro song and fucking killed it for half an hour. I got hit in the head by some other dude's head in the pit and it sucked. I eventually saw Trevor and Brian later in the day just walking around the crowd drinking. They're really cool to meet in person and I shoot the shit with 'em every time I see them play. Setlist(In Order)-
Statutory Ape(No ape suit)
Everything Went Black
A Vulgar Picture
Necropolis
Miasma
What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Unhallowed/Funeral Thirst
This band is always good live-9/10

Rounding off the second stages was the almighty Cannibal Corpse. I've seen them once before(also in that church) and what can you say about them, they're death metal legends and they can put on a hell of a show.
Setlist(Might be missing a song but it's in order)-
Evisceration Plague
The Time To Kill Is Now
Unleashing The Bloodthirsty
Fucked With A Knife
Make Them Suffer
Priests Of Sodom
Hammer Smashed Face
Stripped, Raped, and Strangled
It's amazing how tight this band is. Corpsegrinder said something along the lines of "Playing with you're balls at our show is unacceptable. I let the titties slide but if you see one of these people then MAKE THEM SUFFER!" Badass-10/10

Next up was Killswitch Engage and for being a metalcore band, these guys take names and kick ass at their shows. This was my 3rd time seeing them and it was the best performance yet. Howard Jones is an amazing singer and the rest of the band is really tight. The solo Adam D. did throught the last minute or so of Holy Diver was insane. He's one hell of a musician.
Here's the list(in order)-
My Last Serenade
Reckoning
Fixation On Darkness
Rose Of Sharyn(Huge Wall of Death in the lawn on this song)
??????? new song
A Bid Farewell
My Curse
End Of Heartache
Holy Fucking Diver
Killswitch is always a good band live, sucks that i was far away in the lawn though-8/10

And finally I got what I was waiting for... SLAYER!!!. I've always wanted to see these guys, I've heard that they're incredible live and I mean.. come on it's fuckin Slayer. They absolutely blew me away and I was too busy banging my fucking head to write down the setlist. I remember them playing, in no particular order-
Disciple
Jihad
South Of Heaven
Angel Of Death
Dead Skin Mask
Raining Blood
Mandatory Suicide
Slayer gets a 10/10 they were amazing and any chance I get to see them again I'm dropping whatever I'm doing and going to see Slayer fuck it up.

Awesome show all around. I'm gonna post a link with some videos on youtube once I put them up there. Same thing for some pics on flickr. Peace out!!!!

PowerMaiden
08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Long Live Slayer !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mzinn85
08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
i was there, it kicked ass. slayer was the best band.

licksandteeches
08-02-2009, 07:19 AM
here's the link to my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/cibobary8766
and the link to my pictures http://www.photobucket.com/licksandteeches
PEACE

bunghole
08-08-2009, 12:06 AM
was the second stage general admission? The only band I really care about is Behemoth

Butcher of Birth
08-08-2009, 12:59 AM
was the second stage general admission? The only band I really care about is Behemoth

Yes. It's 1st come 1st serve. You get there early you get to the Second Stage Rail 1st. That's how it's been for all these festivals who have this format. No matter what ticket you buy, from Lawn to Pit (for mainstage), the 2nd stage in GA. So if you are only going for a second stage band, I suggest getting a Lawn ticket. That's what I did. I only care about Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse so I bought a lawn ticket, they came out to $38. Hope this helps.

bunghole
08-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes. It's 1st come 1st serve. You get there early you get to the Second Stage Rail 1st. That's how it's been for all these festivals who have this format. No matter what ticket you buy, from Lawn to Pit (for mainstage), the 2nd stage in GA. So if you are only going for a second stage band, I suggest getting a Lawn ticket. That's what I did. I only care about Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse so I bought a lawn ticket, they came out to $38. Hope this helps.

thanks

yeah I only care about those two and Slayer

daimonos
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Next up on this stage was Behemoth. I've seen them before in a headlining show and they kicked ass, it was in a church actually, kinda ironic. I was pumped to see these guys again and as soon as I stepped in the pit it was chaos.Here's the list(in order)-
Slaves Shall Serve
At The Left Hand Ov God
Conquer All
Demigod
Ov Fire and The Void
Chant For Ezkaton 2000
I Got Erection
Bad ass setlist for a bad ass band. That new song kicks ass-9/10

ya gotta love Mr. Smalls lol :rocker:

licksandteeches
12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
ya gotta love Mr. Smalls lol :rocker:

Awesome place for metal bands to play. Behemoth will be there in January again, Devildriver Suffocation and Goatwhore will be there in January also and Black Dahlia Murder is playing there in Mr Smalls. sweetnesss