PDA

View Full Version : Funny People

ChildrenofSodom
07-24-2009, 08:31 PM
So, I'm watching the behind the scenes special and the stand-up segments on Comedy Central, and I am beyond excited. I like Adam Sandler and Leslie Mann, love Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill and and Ken Jeong and Judd Apatow, and RZA from Wu-Tang is in it. Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt helped in the writing process, and there are cameos from TONS of other awesome comedians.

Anyone else gonna see it?

DethMaiden
07-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it's a comedy directed by Judd Appatow so it's basically guaranteed to be golden. Very, very excited, probably going to see it the first night it's out.

This current crew of dudes in comedy is pretty much 110% fucking superior to the 90s Sandler/Spade/Carrey shit that was churned out on a weekly basis, and a lot better than the decent Stiller/Wilson/Ferrell comedies of the first half of this decade.

powerslave_85
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll pass. I like most of those people, but Apatow hiring the same people for every movie is getting old. Plus, this seems like one of those movies that's a lot more dramatic than the previews make it look.

But holy damn, Aubrey Plaza is ridiculously hot with glasses.

SomewhereInTime72
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll probably see it. :D

MunicipalWasted
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Going to see it this Friday...

going to be good.

ADD
07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
This current crew of dudes in comedy is pretty much 110% fucking superior to the 90s Sandler/Spade/Carrey shit that was churned out on a weekly basis, and a lot better than the decent Stiller/Wilson/Ferrell comedies of the first half of this decade.

Big fail. The best comedies since the 90's glory days of Happy Gilmore, Tommy Boy, etc have been Night at the Roxbury, Anchorman, Wedding Crashers, and Old School. I haven't seen a comedy that can compare to any of those since, well since I saw those. Superbad, Pineapple Express an all that shit is just not funny, those actors bore/depress me and there's hardly any good lines.

SirLardsAlot
07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Just a sidenote Addy, A Night at the Roxbury was 1998. Anyway.

Yeah I'm not gonna see this. Sandler is boring and I'm already tired of Apatow/Rogan/Hill. And it's a movie about stand up comedy ... I hate stand up comedy.

TonyD
07-29-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm split about the now vs. 90's stuff. I like most of the Sandler stuff, but can't stand Farley. Stiller/Wilson/Ferrel are always hit and miss. Superbad was WAY overrated. But to me Pineapple Express and The 40 Year Old Virgin are up there with Happy Gilmore and Zoolander.

Also

But holy damn, Aubrey Plaza is ridiculously hot with glasses.
http://blog.zap2it.com/.a/6a00d83451b92469e201156edb0b48970c-800wi
As Dave Mustaine would say, what the fuck is this?

ADD
08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
:lol: @ pic But no way are 40 Year Old Virgin and Pineapple Express anywhere near the class of Happy Gilmore and Zoolander.

ChildrenofSodom
08-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm seeing it tonight.

SomewhereInTime72
08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Happy Gilmore and Zoolander.

Two of the most overrated comedies ever *runs and hides*.

edit: Not that I don't think they're great.

JRA
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Fuck Zoolander and a Night At The Roxbury.

DethMaiden
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Basically all mainstream 90s comedies that aren't Tommy Boy fail in a big way. Seth Rogen and Will Ferrell are the kings right now, just working in very different ways.

Div
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
you wanna see a funny movie? rent mafia or the mask

JRA
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
you wanna see a funny movie? rent mafia or the mask

The Mask fucking owns!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM

powerslave_85
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
As Dave Mustaine would say, what the fuck is this?

:lol: @ pic

Fuck all y'all.

mankvill
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
mafia

holy shit, so funny.

ChildrenofSodom
08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
[FEW TINY SPOILERS]

I did not like the movie. The expectation of laughing, given the cast, actually made it worse. I used to like Adam Sandler movies, the ones being hated on here, and I have never laughed harder at a movie than I have when watching a Seth Rogen and/or Apatow movie. But this was a real let down. The plot was VERY weak, very loosely flowing. The stand up scenes were bad, I hate Adam Sandler when he does weird voices, which is through out the whole film. In EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SCENE YOU COULD SEE THE MIC(s) AND AT ONE POINT I SAW THE ENTIRE BOOM ARM!!! In one scene, you could see the mic attached to the camera, hanging down into the shot. The filming/directing was bad: too many upclose face shots (like in Public Enemies) and the scene with Eminem was ruined because there was a glare on his glasses for most of the time. Just bad camera work all around, including inexplicably back-and-forth rocking for no reason.

The funniest scene is when Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen are the spotlight, which doesn't happen often. Trust me, if you expect to laugh, don't see this movie. I laughed harder at the mic hanging down 4 inches above Rogen's head than I did at any joke. You could tell Rogen and Hill had very little influence on the final product, and I'm not sure where Posehn and Oswalt helped. I read one review where it said 'Apatow's raunchy humor.' This consisted of random unfunny dick and fart jokes. A few were funny, but others were either genuinely stupid or felt out of place. One of the running gags is that Rogen's roommate is in a bad sitcom. And when they show clips, its literally just a bad sitcom. I was expecting totally idiotic, so-stupid-its-funny exaggerated stuff. Nope. Just really dry stuff. I was expecting to see something that made me say "Wow, that is such a bad sitcom. Thats so funny." Instead i thought "hmm...yeah, that isn't a very good show. They're right. I concur."

I don't think that Aubrey Plaza girl is hot, and her character had zero substance. You would have figured the only other female character would have had some memorable qualities about her. Nope. The characterization was so bad that I wasn't able to 'suspend my disbelief' until about 3/5ths of the way into it, and you guys knew how much I wanted to see it.

Like, I don't know why i think this movie is so damn bad. Leslie Mann isn't a very stunning actress, nor is Adam Sandler, and Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill kinda fell into the background. The guest appearances were very cheesily done.

MunicipalWasted
08-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Saw it on release date and

1st half : Very good
2nd half: Not that great.

And sodom, I didn't relise the mics/boomarms...maybe you just have a good eye O.o

SirLardsAlot
08-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Basically all mainstream 90s comedies that aren't Tommy Boy fail in a big way.
Hahah hell yeah.

PS - If you guys haven't seen The Three Amigos, I highly recommend it. It's been one of my favorite movies since I was like 5. It's pure gold hahaha :D

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, that review is worrisome, but I'm going tonight. We'll see how I feel about it.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I went to Movies 5 (a shitty theatre) but that still doesn't explain how mics got into the picture. Did anyone else who saw it notice that?

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I went to Movies 5 (a shitty theatre) but that still doesn't explain how mics got into the picture. Did anyone else who saw it notice that?

I think it was probably intentional given the "live comedy" feel they were going for, but having not seen it I'll reserve judgment.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I think it was probably intentional given the "live comedy" feel they were going for, but having not seen it I'll reserve judgment.

In the club, yes, I would agree. But in the bedroom, kitchen, outside on the patio...I don't think so.

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
In the club, yes, I would agree. But in the bedroom, kitchen, outside on the patio...I don't think so.

That does sound unprofessional at best. :lol:

Note: I didn't end up seeing this movie (or any movie) tonight but I still have to at some point just because I had expectations for it. This year has been fucking shitty for movies, I've only really liked The Hangover and Star Trek, and neither are DVD-purchase worthy. :(

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm holding out for Inglorious Basterds, and maybe GI Joes, District 9, and the Goods (but my hopes aren't high for those). I liked The Hangover, Public Enemies was alright, never saw Star Trek.

Damn. This year does suck.

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Inglourious Basterds needs to be very, very good, because if it isn't, I'm out of movies that I have high expectations for. Then of course in November five good movies that I heard no buzz about will come out fighting for Oscar nods and be among the best movies of the year. It's the Hollywood formula and it's frustating.

That said, this summer does NOT have an Iron Man or a Dark Knight. Summer action movies are supposed to be extremely fun and only Star Trek got it mostly right.

Div
08-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Damn. This year does suck.

MOON

powerslave_85
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
*cough* Hurt Locker *cough*

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
MOON

What?

*cough* Hurt Locker *cough*

IMDb says 2008.

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
The Hangover was probably the best movie I've seen this year. It doesn't feel like a "best movie". :(

IMDb says 2008.

Not for the US it doesn't. :D That one's supposed to be really good, too...

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2009, 06:37 PM
The Hangover was probably the best movie I've seen this year. It doesn't feel like a "best movie". :(

Not for the US it doesn't. :D That one's supposed to be really good, too...

Agreed.

And i heard the Hurt Locker director/producer/whatever was on Colbert Report and it sounded very very interesting.

powerslave_85
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't know, the only movie I was disappointed in was Watchmen. I really liked The Hangover, I Love You Man, Up!, Star Trek, Public Enemies, and Bruno.

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM

This. Although Star Trek comes close. But it doesn't feel like a "best movie" either. Fuck.

Div
08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
What?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009075-moon/

DethMaiden
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009075-moon/

I'll check this out when and if I see the DVD, but I honestly had not even heard of it until you just brought it up.

Div
08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I'll check this out when and if I see the DVD, but I honestly had not even heard of it until you just brought it up.

yeah, it didnt get much attention

(not even here http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10329 :( )

TonyD
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I saw it this weekend, thought it was good. Definitely worth going or renting but not fantastic. The first half or two-thirds were way better than the end, a lot like Bruno.

b_halperin
07-18-2010, 02:46 AM
im late to the party but whatever. saw this yesterday and it was meh.

i read earlier in this thread that Posehn and Patton Oswalt wrote this? I love both of those comedians, so I'd be let down if I find they had a big part in this.

And does anyone else think that Seth Rogen just isn't funny when his skinny? He loses his whole character imo.

The hardest I laughed in this movie was the scenes with the doctor from Poland.

I will say that it wasn't terrible. I watched it all the way through and it didn't feel like that long of a movie.

6/10; if nothing else is on..

ChildrenofSodom
07-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Posehn and Oswalt did 'punch up', where they help the writers, directors, and actors make the movie funnier. It didn't work.

makethemsuffer12
07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
And does anyone else think that Seth Rogen just isn't funny when his skinny? He loses his whole character imo.

Not necessarily. I watched Observe and Report yesterday, where he was arguably at his fattest, and it was pretty bad for the most part. But I guess that will happen to any movie that has the most unlikeable main character you could possibly think of.

But I thought Funny People was good, a little depressing at times, but not a real bad movie by any means.

larvtard
07-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Not a bad movie, but it wasn't funny in the slightest