PDA

View Full Version : Priest or Maiden?

jerry1013
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I was watching That Metal Show and they showed a repeat of an early episode and there debate question was who was better - Priest or Maiden?

Simply in your opinions who is a better band Maiden or Priest?

My answer is Iron Maiden slightly over Priest because Maiden has better albums, a higher number of good songs, and IMO better live band.

Maiden33
07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
This is such a common question, which just comes across as a complete joke to me. I get flamed repeatedly for this but I think Priest are overrated. Don't get me wrong, I like them. I like some of their stuff a helluva lot. However Maiden are far and away my favorite band, and no one really comes close in general.

SomewhereInTime72
07-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Maiden definitely, but why choose when you can just say Priest AND Maiden, and you got pretty much the best combo of 2 bands there is. :cool:

Indestructible
07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
MAIDEN.

Judas priest has good songs but some of the 80's songs were just ok. with maiden all their stuff is great. and they should rerecord the non dickinson albums with dickinson. at lear iron maiden and killers

painkiller is great.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
My response remains the same: Iron Maiden.

Priest had some flaws in the 80's, and honestly, Maiden are a much better metal band. Not in terms of my taste, just what they've done for metal and its fans all around the world. I honestly don't even think any band has come as close as they have to maintaining a special bond in metal than any other.

Besides, Maiden are just....Maiden :horns:

Maiden33
07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
When it comes to the facts, and why I've always loved Maiden as a band, it comes down to this:
Iron Maiden are the only band to make it the popularity level they are at without ever having a decent amount of commercial success. They are the working man's metal band. They always did things THEIR way. Not the way of the music industry or the changing trends, but their own way, regardless of consequences. In the 80s it brought them worship, and in the 90s it brought them a fair amount of critical backlash, but the band always has stayed true to itself. It's not to be taken lightly what Maiden have accomplished. To consider there are bands who have had 500x the commercial support and success of Maiden, but are playing to smaller audiences and have been seeing popularity decline over the years, while Maiden are now, in 2009, at the biggest stage they've EVER been. Their career is still peaking from a success standpoint, and for a band who are 30 years into their professional career, they are making music that, remarkably, the bulk of their fanbase can actually get behind and call great for what it is. The past 3 Maiden albums have all been regarded as successes, regardless of individual opinions, and in the opinions of MANY fans, at least one of the past 3 stands up decently well to the band's "classic" material.

Div
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
priest had a few off albums but so did maiden. everything after seventh son to BNW was just "wtf", and as was recently discussed in another thread, BNW had lots of shortcommings. plus i would argue that maiden never wrote a track as groovin as rocka rolla.

mankvill
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Iron Maiden is a great metal band, but Priest is one of the best rock n' roll bands. :horns:

powerslave_85
07-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Priest bore me.

Sinfulsot
07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I gotta pick Priest, but I will give Maiden the props they deserve.

Maiden33
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Priest bore me.

This is honestly kind of where I'm coming from. Especially live, but even a lot of their studio stuff just passes me by. They've had their share of great tracks, but there's so much Priest stuff I can just pass on and not care about.

JRA
07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Such a retarded thread makes me wondered if I wandered into Metal Sludge by accident.

and the best "That Metal Show" debate was Britny Fox vs. Britney Spears.

Maiden33
07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Such a retarded thread makes me wondered if I wandered into Metal Sludge by accident.

Says the person who started the classic thread, "Leave Indestructable Alone" :D

JRA
07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Says the person who started the classic thread, "Leave Indestructable Alone" :D

At least I was standing up for someone as opposed to starting the second oldest debate in all of metal (1st being Metallica or Megadeth lol)

Butcher of Birth
07-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Like Priest, Love Maiden. Gotta Up The Irons.

But honestly, both bands are good, and at the same time very different. Priest deserve respect, and I'm not gonna deny them it. But on a personal Favorite, gotta be Maiden.

Like Jeff said, they are still getting bigger and bigger and they aren't promoted as much as say... Metallica, Megadeth, and Others. They are the biggest band in the world, and it seems to speard 90% by Word of Mouth. That says something from a band 30 years old. 30 Years, and Still kicking? Sure Priest is doing it, but even when they were the ages of the members of Maiden, they never made music as well as them, or even came close to having such amazing live shows.

Overall: Iron Maiden > Judas Priest.

mankvill
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
At least I was standing up for someone blah blah blah

u r gothams white knight

Div
07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
i love both bands with a personal preference of maiden, but some of the stuff posted here makes no sense. maiden is on the upswing of their career? sorry, they peaked with seventh son. they sure arent on the top of their game performance wise. just cause they have more fans doesnt mean a damn thing, its to be expected with the passage of time, metallica has more fans too and noone would argue that theyre better than ever before.

SomewhereInTime72
07-21-2009, 10:44 PM
they sure arent on the top of their game performance wise. .

A lot of people, myself included, are going to disagree with this.

Div
07-21-2009, 10:51 PM
you can disagree, but i was listening to flight 666 and then the studio tracks. you can tell some of the solos are done sloppily and bruce's voice sounds more strained, he has to rely on the echo-effects to make up for that. i dont blame them for aging, but im just trying to be realistic here. some things said in this thread were taken more or less word-for-word from the flight 666 movie :zzz:

mastodon421
07-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Maiden nuff said.

Maiden33
07-22-2009, 08:50 AM
you can disagree, but i was listening to flight 666 and then the studio tracks. you can tell some of the solos are done sloppily and bruce's voice sounds more strained, he has to rely on the echo-effects to make up for that. i dont blame them for aging, but im just trying to be realistic here. some things said in this thread were taken more or less word-for-word from the flight 666 movie :zzz:

Fact: Bruce's vocals on the majority of the Somewhere Back in Time tour were better than a lot of Bruce's live vocals in the "golden years". The difference is that I have always gotten the feeling that Bruce was mediocre back in the day because he just didn't try very hard, whereas now he's giving it his all but just comes up a bit short at times.
And in response to your previous post:
Maiden ARE at their peak from an overall popularity standpoint. Creative peak? No, I don't think anyone here is arguing that they are. But the fact of the matter is that Maiden are more popular know than they've ever been. And while that is true of some other bands, it is not necessarily normal. There are a lot of bands from the 70s and 80s that are still actively touring today who are playing to audiences a bit smaller or a fraction of the size they played to in their "peak" 20 years ago.
And when it comes to the new studio material, there aren't many bands out there that have been around for 30 years who can still make albums that any fans can reasonably argue somewhat measure up to their classic material. I'd be willing to believe that almost every person here ranks at least one of the reunion albums in their personal top half-dozen Maiden albums.

rjturtle9
07-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Maiden Maiden Maiden Maiden Maiden :rocker:

no offense to judas priest, but there is no maiden album that i don't like. and lets see Priest try to sell out the venues that maiden do. they just can't. they have there own planes for Christs sake hahaha

mankvill
07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Fact: Bruce's vocals on the majority of the Somewhere Back in Time tour were better than a lot of Bruce's live vocals in the "golden years".

troof. please see Aces High from the World Slavery tour and again from their last tour.

rjturtle9
07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
troof. please see Aces High from the World Slavery tour and again from their last tour.

igh the version on live after death is scary horrible

DethMaiden
07-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Maiden

/thread

seriously guys

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I've tried to type 3 previous reponses to this thread, and can't. I can't comprehend how stupid such a debate really is.

powerslave_85
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I don't buy it. Of course Bruce is going to sound a little bit off, they've been doing this for 25 years for fuck's sake. He can't hit the mark in some songs, but others sound just as good as they did when they were recorded in the studio (Revelations comes to mind). On the other hand, there are some songs that he's never done very well (I don't think I've ever heard an amazing version of "Number of the Beast"). Overall, I think the stuff on Flight 666 is some of the best live material they've ever recorded.

And I don't know what you're talking about with the solos. Adrian's are always note-for-note.

IrritatedTrout
07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
^ Maybe (most likely) he was talking about Janick's solos. I'll admit he's a bit sloppy but I think he makes up for it with stage presence.

Edit:

For the record my vote goes to Maiden even though both are phenomenal. Priest is in my top 5 favorite bands but Maiden have been my favorite ever since I heard my first Maiden song, Infinite Dreams, back in August '04.

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
^ Maybe (most likely) he was talking about Janick's solos.

Clown would be a more useful asset to the band than Jannick.

mankvill
07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I like Judas Priest more on a single-song basis sometimes, but as the album as a whole, no one touches Maiden.

PowerMaiden
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Judas Priest ?!? :rolleyes:

gime a break

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Nick, answer me something?

You think Priest are boring, fine. But how is it that you think British Steel is their best album? Cos to me, that's their most boring good album.

powerslave_85
07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey Nick, answer me something?

You think Priest are boring, fine. But how is it that you think British Steel is their best album? Cos to me, that's their most boring good album.
When did I ever say that?

powerslave_85
07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Clown would be a more useful asset to the band than Jannick.
Ah, I miss the days of the IMBB when I knew everyone's stance on Janick. It made it easy to ignore the opinions of the anti-Janick crowd.

PowerMaiden
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I for one just started to appreciate him not so long ago, his onstage presence is the thing that bother me the most, but he wrote some amazing songs and latetely I started to enjoy a bit more his solos,

he's up against 2 gods, so it's hard

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Ah, I miss the days of the IMBB when I knew everyone's stance on Janick. It made it easy to ignore the opinions of the anti-Janick crowd.

No one takes my opinion on anything seriously anyway, why start now?

nxtVH90
07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Judas Priest are my favorite band ever. I must stick with them. However, I feel that Maiden are nearly as good. I love them both and would see both whenever they come around.

JRA
07-23-2009, 06:44 AM
When did I ever say that?

A couple years back when I did a Screaming For Vengeance review, I said that You've Got Another was the best hit single they ever put out. But then you said "No that would be Living After Midnight."

I guess I jumped the gun and assumed you were a British Steel man. :eyes:

powerslave_85
07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
No, I just like "Living After Midnight."

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 07:08 AM
No, I just like "Living After Midnight."

I too, thought you said at some point you considered British Steel their best (or one of their best?) albums. Weird.

ImmortalEmperor
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I for one just started to appreciate him not so long ago, his onstage presence is the thing that bother me the most

This past tour was my first time seeing them with Gers and, in my opinion, the guy is a huge poser. Like laugh out loud poser. And no, I'm not a Maiden hater - I've been into them since Piece of Mind and saw them on the Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and SSOASS tours.

But, as to the question of Maiden vs. Priest, I must always side with the Priest.

b_halperin
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Maiden.

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I find the Janick-hate to be hilarious, since the guy has been in the band for almost 20 years now, and has written several fuckawesome songs since he joined. He's not nearly as sloppy live as everyone claims he is, and he doesn't really do anything that's particularly out of place for Maiden. I consider him a defining member of Maiden, and it wouldn't be modern Maiden without him. Ya'll are just crazy and think of him as the "new guy" (a very stupid label at this point) who couldn't fill Adrian's shoes. And he couldn't, but that's why he's a different guy, and not just a replacement.

rjturtle9
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I find the Janick-hate to be hilarious, since the guy has been in the band for almost 20 years now, and has written several fuckawesome songs since he joined. He's not nearly as sloppy live as everyone claims he is, and he doesn't really do anything that's particularly out of place for Maiden. I consider him a defining member of Maiden, and it wouldn't be modern Maiden without him. Ya'll are just crazy and think of him as the "new guy" (a very stupid label at this point) who couldn't fill Adrian's shoes. And he couldn't, but that's why he's a different guy, and not just a replacement.

true true. :blaze:

but damn really 20 years. time flys

Maiden33
07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess I gotta weigh in on Janick now.

I've never liked Janick much, but it's not because of some suppressed dislike for him originally being the replacement for my favorite member of the band (and favorite guitarist out there). I was born the year Janick joined Maiden, and all I've ever know Maiden to be involves Janick in the band. He's as much a "new guy" as anyone else to me.
My dislike of Janick comes from the simple fact that he is a piss-poor live player, and I will hate on anyone who is on the same level of sloppiness. I wish not to detract from Janick's good qualities. The man can write a great song (see: Wasting love, The Ghost of the Navigator, Dance of Death, Bruce's Son of a Gun), and has certainly recorded his share of great solos. However, when it comes to performing his solo's live, he does a terrible job. And I'm not someone who's incredibly anal about live accuracy. For example, Dave will quite often play his solos very differently, but the variations sound good, like he's merely improvising. Janick has a tendency to actually sound bad, like he's missing notes left and right, and his technique gets pretty terrible. I'd probably be more forgiving about this if it didn't seem like he was 100% pre-occupied with acting like a clown. I know, I know, it's about putting on a good show. But the other members of the band manage to put on a great show and still be very true to the studio recordings.
Do yourself a favor and listen to the live material Maiden put out in the 90s. The guitar playing is terrible. The newer live output hides Janick's inaccuracies well by burying him in the mix beneath the two other guitars, but it's still there.
I am a HUGE Maiden fan, they've been my favorite band since I was 12, and my love for them is totally unshakable and unparalleled. I do grow quite tired of people giving me attitude for my criticisms of them, particularly things like Janick. I would complain (and do complain) about anyone else who does similar things in other bands, my behavior isn't just some weird hostility to an "outsider" in my favorite band.

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
He does a bad job with live solos, and that's kind of an irrefutable fact, but I don't HATE the guy. He's goofy and wacky and has a lot of fun up there, and adds something to the live show. Who else would Giant Eddie have so much fun battling? :D

ImmortalEmperor
07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I guess I gotta weigh in on Janick now.

I've never liked Janick much, but it's not because of some suppressed dislike for him originally being the replacement for my favorite member of the band (and favorite guitarist out there). I was born the year Janick joined Maiden, and all I've ever know Maiden to be involves Janick in the band. He's as much a "new guy" as anyone else to me.
My dislike of Janick comes from the simple fact that he is a piss-poor live player, and I will hate on anyone who is on the same level of sloppiness. I wish not to detract from Janick's good qualities. The man can write a great song (see: Wasting love, The Ghost of the Navigator, Dance of Death, Bruce's Son of a Gun), and has certainly recorded his share of great solos. However, when it comes to performing his solo's live, he does a terrible job. And I'm not someone who's incredibly anal about live accuracy. For example, Dave will quite often play his solos very differently, but the variations sound good, like he's merely improvising. Janick has a tendency to actually sound bad, like he's missing notes left and right, and his technique gets pretty terrible. I'd probably be more forgiving about this if it didn't seem like he was 100% pre-occupied with acting like a clown. I know, I know, it's about putting on a good show. But the other members of the band manage to put on a great show and still be very true to the studio recordings.
Do yourself a favor and listen to the live material Maiden put out in the 90s. The guitar playing is terrible. The newer live output hides Janick's inaccuracies well by burying him in the mix beneath the two other guitars, but it's still there.
I am a HUGE Maiden fan, they've been my favorite band since I was 12, and my love for them is totally unshakable and unparalleled. I do grow quite tired of people giving me attitude for my criticisms of them, particularly things like Janick. I would complain (and do complain) about anyone else who does similar things in other bands, my behavior isn't just some weird hostility to an "outsider" in my favorite band.

Well said :light:

Sinfulsot
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I've tried to type 3 previous reponses to this thread, and can't. I can't comprehend how stupid such a debate really is.

it's not so much a debate about who is better, but a deeper examination of the music itself, in this case Maiden and Priest. Since Maiden is mostly everyone's choice hands down, it's more about Maiden than Priest.

rjturtle9
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
it's funny how this thread turned into a Janick thread

Maidenmagic
07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
My username says it all.

PowerMaiden
07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Iron Maiden are not humans, they're gods I tell you

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

TonyD
07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm not gonna get into this again. So...

GnR or Crue?

jerry1013
07-25-2009, 04:42 PM

GnR or Crue?

GnR :party:

ok i don't wanna get into this.....

Katy Perry or Jennifer Lopez?

mankvill
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM

GnR or Crue?

...neither?

The_jman
07-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Maybe cause I've not heard as many versions of maiden songs, but I've never heard one of the guitarests off in the new stuff. however I listened to wasting love from live at donington, and the guitars were not together, and I listened to the samples of fear of the dark from that show and it sounded terrible.

I don't know much priest music so going to have to choose maiden of course

but, if janick plays solos so inaccurately, take dance of death a song he wrote, which solo does he play live? the first second or third? cause they were all done by different guitarests and all sounded good to me.

rjturtle9
07-25-2009, 05:01 PM
GnR :party:

ok i don't wanna get into this.....

J Lo all the way hahahaha

JRA
07-25-2009, 05:15 PM

GnR or Crue?

Man, they kinda cancel each other out in terms of non-musical douchebaggery.

Axl taking almost 2 decades to release an album, combined with the fact that he's 3 hours late to every show has caused me to burn out rather quickly on classic Guns N' Roses.

Nikki Sixx on the other hand, can't seem to shut the fuck up (and he's always been full of shit). I guess if anything Crue's music still holds up to me.

and this is just stupid.

DethMaiden
07-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Guns n' Roses and Katy Perry, respectively. Duh.

The_jman
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Man, they kinda cancel each other out in terms of non-musical douchebaggery.

Axl taking almost 2 decades to release an album, combined with the fact that he's 3 hours late to every show has caused me to burn out rather quickly on classic Guns N' Roses.

Nikki Sixx on the other hand, can't seem to shut the fuck up (and he's always been full of shit). I guess if anything Crue's music still holds up to me.

and this is just stupid.
yes if you ask me both suck... not gnr or crue that is... the other two.

SomewhereInTime72
07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Both GnR and Crue are both okay, but inconsistent bands. However, Appetite For Destruction is the best album either band has put out and is rather fucking awesome, so GnR win for that.

SirLardsAlot
07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
MOTLEY CRUE

jerry1013
07-25-2009, 05:53 PM
ok back to topic here....it seems only me and rjturtle know what we are talking about

J-LO > Katy Perry

:D

The_jman
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
ok back to topic here....it seems only me and rjturtle know what we are talking about

J-LO > Katy Perry

:D
riiiiiiight

Fe Maiden
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
MAIDEN:light:

TonyD
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
...neither?

I don't even really care, I'm just sick of Priest-Maiden, Sabbath-Zeppelin.

Maiden33
07-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't even really care, I'm just sick of Priest-Maiden, Sabbath-Zeppelin.

You forgot Metallica-Megadeth. I feel there are probably more of these out there as well.

b_halperin
07-29-2009, 11:50 PM
You forgot Metallica-Megadeth. I feel there are probably more of these out there as well.

jobros - hannah montana

its complicated stuff :D

Div
07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Kirk or Picard?

JRA
07-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Brent Spiner?

HE USED TO PLAY DATA ON STAR TREK

Ah. I wonder what he's doing right now?

HE'S PROBABLY GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS!

The_jman
07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Kirk or Picard...one of the hardest questions. Both so awsome.

hell, there's even debate among metallica fans, old metallica, or new?

rjturtle9
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Kirk or Picard...one of the hardest questions. Both so awsome.

hell, there's even debate among metallica fans, old metallica, or new?

middle. Load, Reload, and St. Anger!!!

(sic)&disturbed
07-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Brent Spiner?

HE USED TO PLAY DATA ON STAR TREK

Ah. I wonder what he's doing right now?

HE'S PROBABLY GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS!

I seen him on Law & Order awhile back!

TonyD
07-31-2009, 12:13 PM
middle. Load, Reload, and St. Anger!!!

Har har.

markman
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Maiden hands down!!:mad: Priest has some good material but has never gone over the top you know. Maiden is bigger and better in any way, shape or form in this comparison!!!:horns: