PDA

View Full Version : Avengers (and Avengers Disassembled)

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
So, Marvel's grand scheme to do individual movies for each Avenger by 2011 and then release a culminating Avengers movie mostly based on Mark Millar's "The Ultimates". Pretty fucking awesome, right? I'm very excited for the whole set of movies, and the first two have been a mixture of fucking amazing (Iron Man) and pretty damn good and way better than the Eric Bana version (The Incredible Hulk).

They just cast Natalie Portman in Thor. That movie, along with Captain America, are the nearest to completion I believe. Then they're gonna do Wasp and Giant Man/Antman movies, and possibly a Nick Fury movie. Iron Man 2 is also in the works.

I'm just not sure they can pull it off and get all the movies done and cast everyone for the Avengers movie by 2011. I mean, they've already got to retain Ed Norton and Robert Downey, Jr. and these guys could be doing whatever the fuck they want. Still, I'm hopeful. This could end up being one of the greatest "series" of all time (if we consider them all to be loosely connected in plot continuity and the fact that the culminating project exists).

Thoughts?

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 06:09 PM
And might I also add that the eventual Avengers movie needs to be rated R and no less than three hours long. There's so much they can do with the story that deserves a legitimate treatment.

ChildrenofSodom
07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I think given the success of Marvel movies so far, and the excitement for future projects, the culminating piece is going to be huge.

I think they need to have cameos from Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Black Panther, and the X-men....and they could have a scene similar to the X-men scenes at the school, where they give fleeting glimpses of Luke Cage, Ms. Marvel, etc.

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 06:22 PM
They're always good about giving the audience little goodies like that since the whole Marvel Universe is connected. I love the Stan Lee cameos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0NsKFJ6gE

SomewhereInTime72
07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
It's a great concept, but I am seriously skeptical given how these recent comic book movies have about a 60:40 good:bad ratio.

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 08:51 PM
It's a great concept, but I am seriously skeptical given how these recent comic book movies have about a 60:40 good:bad ratio.

Iron Man gives me plenty of hope, and if Captain America is as good, I'm satisfied. Those are the two main components of the Avengers (and the two coolest characters in the Marvel Universe probably).

powerslave_85
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
And might I also add that the eventual Avengers movie needs to be rated R and no less than three hours long. There's so much they can do with the story that deserves a legitimate treatment.
After the underperformance of Watchmen at the box office, I don't think studios are going to be eager to release a 3-hour R-rated comic book movie.

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
After the underperformance of Watchmen at the box office, I don't think studios are going to be eager to release a 3-hour R-rated comic book movie.

But here's the thing. There's no "studios" involved anymore; Marvel owns 100% of the process now. They have complete sovereignty, which could mean anything is fair game.

ChildrenofSodom
07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#Film

This says Paramount and Marvel are working together.

DethMaiden
07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(2012_film)#Film

This says Paramount and Marvel are working together.

They're the distributor, but it's an independent Marvel Studios film, along with all this Avengers-related stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Studios#Independent_films

ChildrenofSodom
07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
They work with Merill Lynch? haha

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Iron Man 2 wrapped Principal Photography earlier this week. So it's already in Post-Production. 9-10 Months of Post? Man, this thing is gonna look great!

And I;m very excited to see how the Thor movie pans out, one my favorites.

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm simultaneously more excited and worried about Thor than Captain America. Thor could have a potentially much better movie than Captain America, but in the same way, I have a hunch that Captain America's movie is definitely gonna be good, whereas Thor is easy to ruin.

edit: Captain America is a very average Marvel hero. I don't think he's like one of the better ones (and nowhere near fucking Deadpool!) but he's still better than a chunk of :zzz: heros.

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm simultaneously more excited and worried about Thor than Captain America. Thor could have a potentially much better movie than Captain America, but in the same way, I have a hunch that Captain America's movie is definitely gonna be good, whereas Thor is easy to ruin.

edit: Captain America is a very average Marvel hero. I don't think he's like one of the better ones (and nowhere near fucking Deadpool!) but he's still better than a chunk of :zzz: heros.

Deadpool is in X-Men Origins, albeit badly, and Captain America and Iron Man are the two best Marvel characters, especially because I have a hard-on for when comics get all political and they (along with anything regarding S.H.I.E.L.D.) have the best stories.

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Deadpool is in X-Men Origins, albeit badly, and Captain America and Iron Man are the two best Marvel characters, especially because I have a hard-on for when comics get all political and they (along with anything regarding S.H.I.E.L.D.) have the best stories.

I take it you've read Civil War? :drool:

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I take it you've read Civil War? :drool:

Mmmm. Patriot Act much? That's what needs a fucking movie made of it. Plus superheroes fighting each other is cool. :rocker:

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Mmmm. Patriot Act much? That's what needs a fucking movie made of it. Plus superheroes fighting each other is cool. :rocker:

Yeah, that would be a sick movie. :cool:

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm hoping they do the "disarming Weapon Hulk" Avengers story that has been visited and revisited. Banner goes nuts, the rest of the Avengers give him the antidote, S.H.I.E.L.D. covers up that Banner is Hulk, intrigue ensues.

Div
07-24-2009, 01:31 PM
wasp and antman? i think its safe to say that noone really gives a shit about them. they should skip that and just go with iron man/hulk/thor/cptn A. for the avengers movie. a nick fury movie might be cool, but at this point i really dont care to sit through anymore action films starring samuel l jackson.

also, is fury supposed to be black or white? cause in the game he was white, but you could unlock a retro skin for him where he was black, so im assuming in his original appearance he was black but they changed him to white later on? (sorta like the opposite of what they did with green lantern)

ChildrenofSodom
07-24-2009, 06:41 PM
also, is fury supposed to be black or white? cause in the game he was white, but you could unlock a retro skin for him where he was black, so im assuming in his original appearance he was black but they changed him to white later on? (sorta like the opposite of what they did with green lantern)

Umm...actually, they didn't change Green Lantern's skin color. The Green Lantern you're probably familiar with, named Hal Jordan, was given a ring by a dying alien, a member of the Corps, and then later in life, he had a back up named John Stewart, the black guy. That is the character Cartoon Network used in their Justice League cartoon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ovv-W5pcI) So, in other words, they didn't change his skin color, there are actually numerous Green Lanterns that live all across the universe, different races, species, creatures, whatever.

DethMaiden
07-24-2009, 06:42 PM
wasp and antman? i think its safe to say that noone really gives a shit about them. they should skip that and just go with iron man/hulk/thor/cptn A. for the avengers movie. a nick fury movie might be cool, but at this point i really dont care to sit through anymore action films starring samuel l jackson.

There's actually two Marvel Universes, see. The traditional Marvel Universe and the "Ultimate" Marvel Universe, and in the Ultimate universe he's black but in the traditional one he's white. But the movies seem to be drawing more from the Ultimate universe (without putting Ultimate in any of the names, of course), so it makes sense that Fury is black. Actually, Bryan Hitch who drew The Ultimates got Samuel L. Jackson's permission to draw Nick Fury with him as the model.

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
First off, I should say that I know jack-shit about The Avengers because I don't read comics. I've pieced a few things together here and there from the internet and the way the Iron Man plot is developing, though, and if you ask me, this whole grand idea they have for these Avengers movies won't work. It might be okay for the first couple of filmes, but after a while it's gonna involve a LOT of characters, most of whom your average person has never heard of, and people (including me) are going to stop caring. Sure, it'll be great for hardcore comic fans, but only if they can keep up the quality for all nine (!!!) movies. Can you think of any film franchise that went to nine films without eventually ending up in the straight-to-DVD pile?

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
First off, I should say that I know jack-shit about The Avengers because I don't read comics. I've pieced a few things together here and there from the internet and the way the Iron Man plot is developing, though, and if you ask me, this whole grand idea they have for these Avengers movies won't work. It might be okay for the first couple of filmes, but after a while it's gonna involve a LOT of characters, most of whom your average person has never heard of, and people (including me) are going to stop caring. Sure, it'll be great for hardcore comic fans, but only if they can keep up the quality for all nine (!!!) movies. Can you think of any film franchise that went to nine films without eventually ending up in the straight-to-DVD pile?

They won't really be movies in a series though. Iron Man and Iron Man 2 are in a series; The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor will stand alone, and Avengers will be a culmination starring all of the characters from those.

Now, if they decide to make sequels to Avengers (and I'm sure they will), it might get ridiculous.

JRA
05-09-2010, 12:48 PM
For me the biggest problem would be the villain they are going to team up to fight. Having the four team up for no real reason would be entertaining for about 10 minutes, as opposed to a 2+ hour movie. The biggest reason why "Dark Knight" worked so well was because the Joker was such a terrifying villain. Who the hell are Iron Man, Thor, Captain American and [insert 4th avenger here] going to fight? Dr. Doom? Galactus? Yea because they worked so well the first time.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
For me the biggest problem would be the villain they are going to team up to fight. Having the four team up for no real reason would be entertaining for about 10 minutes, as opposed to a 2+ hour movie. The biggest reason why "Dark Knight" worked so well was because the Joker was such a terrifying villain. Who the hell are Iron Man, Thor, Captain American and [insert 4th avenger here] going to fight? Dr. Doom? Galactus? Yea because they worked so well the first time.

It might be a "disarming rampaging Hulk" story. That or a reimagined Dr. Doom.

JRA
05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
It might be a "disarming rampaging Hulk" story.

Ehhhh. I hope not, that would kinda suck.