PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like Heavy Metal?

USERxMAATxRE
07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
The thread title basically says it all. Heavy metal, death metal, whatever. If your on this site, chances are when you picked a genre of music to like, you strayed away from popular music and chose growls, screams, high-pitch wails, and the like over traditional singing. You might listen to bands like Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, King Diamond, Judas Priest, really anything with death metal vocals or high-pitch falsetto,and the average non-metal listener would describe them as 'unlistenable' because of the vocals. But the average viewer on this site may say these are some of the best metal has to offer. So why listen? Do you tune out the vocals, do you like them, or is it the only type of vocals that usually fits with the music?

And then there's lyrical content. Popular music is the way it is because all the subject matter contains stuff the masses can relate with... We prefer global annihilation, mutilation, burning churches, ect... theres never too many songs describing a new way to kill someone, we find ourselves sitting through 8+ minute songs of ancient egypt in a blender with death metal, and we consider all these things to be awesome, but it isnt too often we can actually relate back to these things.

So why listen at all? Personally, I don't need a reason to justify the music I listen to, but I do get curious why my ears enjoy it so much.

SomewhereInTime72
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I think it's pretty good.

DethMaiden
07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I think Gallhammer covered it pretty well. Here's a few quotes to prove it:

"I think our music come from my heart. It is so pure feelings."

"Speed of blood is a one of my feelings. I need it for survive."

"It has a lot of meanings. I cannot explain in words. So you can construable what you want."

Yeah, basically you can't articulate it, but it's the way it makes you feel that matters.

Div
07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
i think Heavy Metal is a pretty cool guy. eh plays gitar solo and doesnt afraid of anything

Indestructible
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
It means something.Many Many metal bans put thought into the lyrics and music unlike alot of shit that you hear. \

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I think, with a fex exceptions (Ozzy, Dio, Yngwie, etc), most metal bands work, play, and put themselves out as a unit, unlike most pop, country, and hip-hop. I like the idea that there are 3-6 dudes or chicks getting together and making such awesome music.

Aside from that, like everyone else said, it just sounds awesome! And the experience of a 'metal show' is awesome. And there are few genres in which all races, creeds, colors, nationalities, and sexes can get together and have fun.

Indestructible
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I think, with a fex exceptions (Ozzy, Dio, Yngwie, etc), most metal bands work, play, and put themselves out as a unit, unlike most pop, country, and hip-hop. I like the idea that there are 3-6 dudes or chicks getting together and making such awesome music.

Aside from that, like everyone else said, it just sounds awesome! And the experience of a 'metal show' is awesome. And there are few genres in which all races, creeds, colors, nationalities, and sexes can get together and have fun.

whats wrong with dio

JRA
07-15-2009, 12:10 PM
whats wrong with dio

He means solo artists.

I like metal cos of triumphant wailing over riff constructions. Also this:

i think Heavy Metal is a pretty cool guy. eh plays gitar solo and doesnt afraid of anything

USERxMAATxRE
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I think Gallhammer covered it pretty well. Here's a few quotes to prove it:

"It has a lot of meanings. I cannot explain in words. So you can construable what you want."

Yeah, basically you can't articulate it, but it's the way it makes you feel that matters.

I guess it is all about the heart and feelings. As human beings, we have certain primal instincts that we cannot express anymore due to this thing called "society", "order", etc... I guess the music is an outlet for these urges, except it doesn't get you landed in prison for murder, if that makes any sense.

And in case you were wondering, I listen to lots of classic/thrash/death metal, but asides from the concert scene and the internet, I know almost no death metal heads, and start to wonder, how could a genre of music be so good, but at the same time be so unappealing to others?

JRA
07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I guess it is all about the heart and feelings. As human beings, we have certain primal instincts that we cannot express anymore due to this thing called "society", "order", etc... I guess the music is an outlet for these urges, except it doesn't get you landed in prison for murder, if that makes any sense.

Although politicians would claim that kids coming out of metal shows beat-up and bloody is an unforgivable side-effect of metal.

PowerMaiden
07-15-2009, 12:49 PM
because of Iron Maiden

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Although politicians would claim that kids coming out of metal shows beat-up and bloody is an unforgivable side-effect of metal.

I think that although metal, shows, and moshing go against our greatern Western mores, there are definitely mores and norms within metal. In my opinion, beating people up and fighting during a show is not acceptable behavior at a show. Hurting each other, not helping people get up, stuff like that, is not how moshing should work.

Natrlhi
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I like metal because it makes me FEEL something.

It rips my heart out and shows the fucker to me.

It's the same thing with movies that I like. Don't give me popcorn, Hollywood, bubblegum crap. I'm not interested. Give me some fucking SUBSTANCE, please.

I mean, sure - we all have our guilty pleasures where you just have to check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride (e.g., popular bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers or White Stripes - or movies like Dead Again or Transformers), but for the most part I'm looking for something that takes some effort and thought to create...basically, art.

Also, I like metal because it is proof that Satan loves me and wants me to be happy. :dgrin:

USERxMAATxRE
07-15-2009, 12:59 PM

(referring to the US) Politicians care about one thing and one thing only - personal gain. Any politician who has ever bashed metal has only done it because most of the country's voters are going to agree, and in turn vote for them. How about Bob Dole bashing Cannibal Corpse, after never even hearing them...

http://www.tombofthemutilated.net/Bob-Dole-Cannibal-Corpse.html

As for leaving concerts beat up and bloody, dont go in the pit if you can't handle it... unless everyone in the pit is a complete asshole, someone will pick you up when you fall down.. whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger, should we stop playing hockey and boxing while were at it, i mean the pain inflicted in that is much more severe at times, and much more intentional.

I like metal because it makes me FEEL something.

It rips my heart out and shows the fucker to me.

It's the same thing with movies that I like. Don't give me popcorn, Hollywood, bubblegum crap. I'm not interested. Give me some fucking SUBSTANCE, please.

As for the music to movie comparison, alright, we have horror movies in america that the masses just eat up, but take a band like cannibal corpse, which essentialy takes scenes in a horror movie and expresses them musically, and its value to the average american drops significantly. I guess making music for the idea and giving it substance isn't the way it works in this country...

powerslave_85
07-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Because it's something to blow off steam when I have days like today :bouville:

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I have aspirations of being the first heavy metal politician. I want to, in between bands, stand up in front of the crowd at the venue and say "Yah know what, no one gives a shit about any of us. Alot of you are poor, working class, and no one gives a damn about your opinions. To them, we are all miscreants, ignorant, and uneducated. I want to work to meet the needs of metalheads in this country. Work to get better jobs in urban and rural areas, reform the prison system and marijuana laws, and increase funding of the arts, including upstart metal bands and not just kids on pianos and violins."

Yeah.........kind of a pipe dream.

rjturtle9
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I have aspirations of being the first heavy metal politician. I want to, in between bands, stand up in front of the crowd at the venue and say "Yah know what, no one gives a shit about any of us. Alot of you are poor, working class, and no one gives a damn about your opinions. To them, we are all miscreants, ignorant, and uneducated. I want to work to meet the needs of metalheads in this country. Work to get better jobs in urban and rural areas, reform the prison system and marijuana laws, and increase funding of the arts, including upstart metal bands and not just kids on pianos and violins."

vote Childrenofsodom for president :jima:

ADD
07-15-2009, 01:33 PM

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
vote Childrenofsodom for president :jima:

Nah. Just Congressman. Or Senator. On that note though, I think, just looking around at people at shows, and hearing people talk, alot of metalheads, particularly young people, are apathetic to voting and politics. Most people either don't care about politics or do care but don't see a point in voting because they think they can't win or the system is rigged. Thats excluding 'radical' bands that advocate relatively extreme political agendas, such as PETA.

rjturtle9
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Nah. Just Congressman. Or Senator.

ugh. fine :tp:

ravenheart
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
It means something.Many Many metal bans put thought into the lyrics and music unlike alot of shit that you hear. \

Not that many. Let's be honest.

powerslave_85
07-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Agreed.

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Not popular bands, but there are alot of metal bands that do carefully craft their lyrics.

Indestructible
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
The Heavy Metal that I Listen to puts thought into the music and lyrics even the popular bands.

Butcher of Birth
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Because it's strong and has its own world.

What other genre of music out there today has so many festivals, so many artists, and so many fans who support their artists to great lengths? Metal is the only one I can figure.

Metal is not about the trend, the MTV, the VH1, the Rolling Stone cover, the TV Ad, the Billboard Number 1, or the iTunes top download. It's about being there, and living out your life with people you meet on boards, then the shows, then they are your friends, then your family. This saying might be cliche but Metal is a Family. We can love the same bands, hate the same bands, even hate and love everyother band there is, but in the end we all love Metal, and will support Metal, and I love being apart of it.

I love the feeling of haveing 300, to 2,000, even up to 21,000 people in one area, with the same love and interests as me singing, headbanging, jumping, moshing, and crowdsurfing together.

It's hard to put why I like, even love, this music. I watch documentries like "Metal!" and "Flight: 666" and think, "Man... Down my street, across down, in the other county, in the next state, the next country, even the next Continent there is someone just like me".

Metal is global aswell as personal. No matter who you are you either Up The Irons, Bleed BLS, or Rattle Your God-Damn Head.

Oh... IMO ;)

Indestructible
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Also with metal when you hear a new song from a band the band or song doesnt become old and forgotten about after 6 months. you have that song until your dead even if your dead 150 years from now. and you pass all thoes bands and songs on to other people so they are never forgotten about and so they dont die out.

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I think that there are very few genres of music in which your taste in music has such a large influence on your lifestyle, without any real front-runners (nowadays, at least) to dictate fashion or beliefs.

powerslave_85
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Out of all the genres I listen to, lyrics play the least important part in metal.

Indestructible
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Out of all the genres I listen to, lyrics play the least important part in metal.

Lyrics play a big part in songs. well for me. lyrics and music and everything about the song are big and matter

how many bands can create Greatness like this

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/khryzairhys/blackbox.jpg+ the dio and tony martin years
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb232/metallica_fan1231/RideTheLightning.jpghttp://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/Lindsey84_01/master.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/leosayer/Covers/MetallicaJustice.jpg

JRA
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM

I would have to agree, rule #1 in metal is your music must kill everything in sight, and that lyrics are merely a vocal rhythmic counterpart.

If I took metal lyrics seriously, I'd probably hate Gamma Ray.

TonyD
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
It makes my balls tingle.

ADD
07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
rule #1 in metal is your music must kill everything in sight, and that lyrics are merely a vocal rhythmic counterpart.

. The good thing is though sometimes the lyrics are rad which only makes it better, but yea, maybe the best thing about metal is that its riff or fail, simple and true.

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I love when a song comes on, and 3 seconds in you can lock onto that riff/beat/whatever and nod along (headbang, whatever)

powerslave_85
07-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Pretty much. Most of the metal I listen to these days has "growling" vocals (or whatever the fuck you want to call them), so I pay no attention to the lyrics anyways, with the exception of a few bands like Pig Destroyer and Converge. Vocals in metal have always seemed to me as less of a way of conveying an idea than another instrument.

I guess I just prefer lyrics that I can relate to on some level, and I find very little of that in metal.

SomewhereInTime72
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Some bands have awesome lyrics, but most of the time everything sounds so awesome that you care as little about the lyrics as the band does.

Butcher of Birth
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah, if I cared about lyrics the most and only wanted the best lyrics, I wouldn't like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Sonata Artica, Dragonforce, Rhapsody of Fire, Cannibal Corpse, or Devildriver. The lyrics are there, but are usually just silly and just too ridiculous.

"Spare me your tiny talk, kneel down and wash my feet.
Could someone, please, fly you away, out from your misery.
Suck it all in, go ahead and take your daily overdose.
Only do not come and demonstrate me how your mind explodes."

Come on... haha

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Can anyone here tell me what the fuck Holy Diver is about?

JRA
07-15-2009, 10:16 PM

According to Ronnie himself it's supposedly about a messiah.

ADD
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Drugs

Maiden33
07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
You know, you'd think that I would have some profound sort of response to this great question, but I don't. I really don't. I never thought, on this board, that I'd be the one to say this, but I don't know of any defining characteristics of metal music that make me love it. I just do. There are certain techniques and styles and ideas that I like, but they don't just occur in metal, they can occur in various styles of music, they are just prevalent in metal. I'm not going to surprise a lot of people when I say that the majority of the music I listen to isn't the stereotypical heavy, evil, riff-o-rama sorts of metal which some people have really brought up in this thread. In fact there are entire non-metal genres I would rather listen to than a lot of the metal that's out there. That being said I would die for the metal that I love.
But getting back to my initial statement, I have no explanation. It's actually best said like some of those Gibson adds which say: "I can't explain it, but I can play it for you". That's kind of how I feel. If someone asks me to explain what I love or why I love it, I struggle. But I can find you 10,000 examples of what exactly I love, and if you have tastes resembling mine, it speaks for itself.
When it comes to the lifestyle sort of thing, I've always enjoyed the feeling of a brotherhood which only exists in metal. When you go to a show for another kind of music, you don't get that same feeling like the music really means the world to everyone and they are your friends just by that shared love. Maiden concerts are especially great for this. The 2 '08 shows I went to and waited 9 hours outside for really helped my perspective on this. By the time the show comes, you look around and see the dozens of people who you hung out with all day, and you have this common bond and it just makes it so much better. You don't get that with anything else.

This is sort of becoming a babble-fest, since it's 2:38AM and I'm drifting off, but hopefully something I've said makes some sort of sense.

mankvill
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Because it rules.

Indestructible
07-16-2009, 05:49 AM
I didnt realize that people cared so little about the lyrics in a song.

ravenheart
07-16-2009, 06:08 AM
I love metal because all other music is gay :dorky:

Butcher of Birth
07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I didnt realize that people cared so little about the lyrics in a song.

I think we all care, just not enough to put it 1st. I always put music 1st, because what is music without... music? Sure Accapella is fun for awhile, but I can't see Opeth doing it. It would bore me more than they bore me already (hehe :D).

Never the less, I'd day about 45-65% of Metal abdn have really deep down thought out lyrics, even the popular ones ;).

Indestructible
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Everything comes first in a song. lyrics and music and everything that their is in the song you like.

Maiden33
07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
For me, lyrics are like this:

It's not really that important. I like many bands who I feel write very pedestrian lyrics, they're just very unmemorable. However, having great lyrics is a great bonus. I won't usually detract points for bad/mediocre lyrics unless they are pretty extreme, but when bands have great lyrics it just gives them that little bit of an extra edge.

DethMaiden
07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
For me, lyrics are like this:

It's not really that important. I like many bands who I feel write very pedestrian lyrics, they're just very unmemorable. However, having great lyrics is a great bonus. I won't usually detract points for bad/mediocre lyrics unless they are pretty extreme, but when bands have great lyrics it just gives them that little bit of an extra edge.

This.

Also, it's good to see the return of heavy metal exceptionalism. Because you're so steeped in metal, you think that no other genre could ever have comparable attributes. Just so you know, there is a good deal of thoughtfulness but into all music, regardless of genre, so the idea that metal puts more thought into its music and lyrics is laughable.

And this entire thread is senseless because we all love heavy fucking metal because of, as I said before, the way it makes us feel. Trying to pinpoint why that is kills any authenticity of said feelings.

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
And a rap fan could say that all other genres suck and are hollow, and a country fan would say rap sucks and is stupid, and an indie fan could criticize every pop artist for being fake. Whats your point? Of course a bunch of metalheads on a metal message board called Metal Setlists are going to put metal at the top of the list, for reasons legitimate or otherwise.

Indestructible
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I never really thought of why i just like it. its one of the things i have alot of knowledge on

SirLardsAlot
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't.

DethMaiden
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
And a rap fan could say that all other genres suck and are hollow, and a country fan would say rap sucks and is stupid, and an indie fan could criticize every pop artist for being fake. Whats your point? Of course a bunch of metalheads on a metal message board called Metal Setlists are going to put metal at the top of the list, for reasons legitimate or otherwise.

Feel free to put it at the top of the list. I certainly do. But deriding other genres and/or pretending metal is somehow in a sphere of its own is silly, and a little insulting to rappers, jazz drummers, world-class violinists, and Brokencyde.

rjturtle9
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
why i love metal is because it's more than just music to me. it's a lifestyle. almost all the money i make goes toward music in some way or another. it's something that i have really put first in my life. i think everyone in the world needs something to really dedicate their lives to, and for many, it's music. right now at this moment i'm listening to metal. there are sooo many reasons why i prefer metal music more to other types (and i do listen to many other types).

Indestructible
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Metal is most of what i listen to. metal has meaning other genres dont.

SomewhereInTime72
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
and a little insulting to ....... Brokencyde.

Yeah, that bit was intended though.

DethMaiden
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Metal is most of what i listen to. metal has meaning other genres dont.

See, I hate to make my point in opposition to one that is this stupid, but still. Exhibit A, quoted. :tp:

DethMaiden
07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that bit was intended though.

:tongue: Word.

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I like metal because of all the dudes! I love dudes!

rjturtle9
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I like metal because of all the dudes! I love dudes!

i hope you mean the male bonding that you will find with other metalheads as yourself

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
i hope you mean the male bonding that you will find with other metalheads as yourself

Nah. I love that in a crowd of 500, there are maybe 10 or 20 girls, and then the rest is just pure, strong, sweaty dudes! I love dudes! So much! I love being in the most pit and being pushed against each other! I love it! Its so great! I LOVE METAL!

TonyD
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Nah. I love that in a crowd of 500, there are maybe 10 or 20 girls, and then the rest is just pure, strong, sweaty dudes! I love dudes! So much! I love being in the most pit and being pushed against each other! I love it! Its so great! I LOVE METAL!

Yeah Manowar rocks.

TonyD
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Feel free to put it at the top of the list. I certainly do. But deriding other genres and/or pretending metal is somehow in a sphere of its own is silly, and a little insulting to rappers, jazz drummers, world-class violinists, and Brokencyde.

At this point I think it's completely stupid to rank any genre, artist or album because some people forget that when anything is done right, it's art. Favorite and best are two separate entities. Matt Pike is one of my favorite guitar players, but nowhere near the best.
That said, it's hard not to say that anything Led Zeppelin has done isn't better than a Limp Bizkit album. But no one has the right to say Zoso is better than Master of Reality or vise versa.

mankvill
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
See, I hate to make my point in opposition to one that is this stupid, but still. Exhibit A, quoted. :tp:

LEAVE INDESTRUCTIBLE ALONE

rjturtle9
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM

wow dude. just wow

TonyD
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
wow dude. just wow

Hella gay, rite bro?

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
wow dude. just wow

What other genre can you do this in? None! I love when the boys take off their shirts. Sometimes, when we mosh really hard we all fall down on each other. Its great.

Maiden33
07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
What other genre can you do this in? None! I love when the boys take off their shirts. Sometimes, when we mosh really hard we all fall down on each other. Its great.

This is starting to get pretty hilarious.

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM

There's nothing funny about metal. Is this funny to you? http://www.rocktimes.de/gesamt/m/manowar/pics/manowar.jpg

Maiden33
07-16-2009, 10:51 PM
There's nothing funny about metal. Is this funny to you? http://www.rocktimes.de/gesamt/m/manowar/pics/manowar.jpg

Certainly not. That picture just exudes seriousness. I'm actually questioning my sexuality and musical credibility just by looking at it.

rjturtle9
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM

it was hilarious since the first post

Div
07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
ENOUGH ABOUT BROKENCYDE ALREADY

AHHHHHHHHHHH :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mankvill
07-16-2009, 11:16 PM
ENOUGH ABOUT BROKENCYDE ALREADY

AHHHHHHHHHHH :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I actually found their CD's at FYE today.

Huh.

JRA
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
One thing I think about Metal worth mentioning. The fans give more praise for deep cuts than other genres. You're way more likely to hear metal fans talk about how awesome Crionics and Alexander The Great are, but you won't really hear hip hop fans talk about Ham N Eggs or Revolutionary Generation. Most of them only care about whether or not a song is a hit.

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
One thing I think about Metal worth mentioning. The fans give more praise for deep cuts than other genres. You're way more likely to hear metal fans talk about how awesome Crionics and Alexander The Great are, but you won't really hear hip hop fans talk about Ham N Eggs or Revolutionary Generation. Most of them only care about whether or not a song is a hit.

No one is singing Katy Perry B-sides.

JRA
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
No one is singing Katy Perry B-sides.

True, but she plays them live anyway. :tongue:

The_jman
07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I love lots of things about metal. I believe most metal has the ability to make entire good albums rather than just a hit song and a bunch of crap, like many other modern artests. In my opinion anyway. I like how most metal the artests had to work to get to be famous, through building a fan base, they didn't just go on america's got tallent or american idle or something and become famous just cause they beat 30 other people. Don't get me wrong there are other genres who's artests came from less privaleged backgrounds, that's not my point. Its that quality that you know your band had to fight for every step of the way as a unit, not just as a solo artest or by ditching one's band for some kind of reality show (chris daughtry).
I guess I also like metal because I like that metal artests write and play their own music, I respect that, not to mention fake instruments, or bands like pop or hip hop taht use totally cynthasized music pisses me off.
I guess one of the biggest reasons I love metal is, I feel like I belong in metal. As someone who never really found acceptance all through high school, and such, just cause I'm different or seen as being that way. And then I find a genre like rock and metal and they don't give a shit that I can't see, and I'm part of the brotherhood. If I look lost wandering into a bathroom, the metal community don't shun me and let me blunder into people, someone helps me find the flipping sink.

and most of all its like people have said, its the feelings I get, the enjoyment of hearing the skill metal music takes to play.
lyrics don't mean as much to me, unless I want to sing them, which I do for certain bands, they mean a little less to me cause half the time I can't understand them, or just want to listen to how the song flows together.

not sure if I'm articulating myself in the way I wanted, its so hard to put into words.