PDA

View Full Version : Clutch - Strange Cousins From The West

300%_Density
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm in the process of listening right now. What does everyone else think? I will say that the packaging is probably some of the best I've seen for those who purchased this album instead of downloading it. Just curious how everyone else feels about it.

DethMaiden
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I tried to purchase it but they were sold out so I'll pick it up Thursday or Friday depending on when they get the shipment. The music, however, is terrific. Not that I'd expect any less.

SomewhereInTime72
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Listened through it twice now, haven't bought it yet, though its on my list (not at the top though :eek: )... I think it's a solid album, as I'd expect from Clutch. Definitely good, but not in the mindblowing category that I'd put Robot Hive/Exodus or Blast Tyrant. Certainly not a disappointment though.

powerslave_85
07-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I think it's a little disappointing. Musically, the blues-oriented direction they're moving towards is really interesting, but I miss the crazy, high-energy stuff like on Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus. The only songs I really love so far are "50,000 Unstoppable Watts" and "Freakonomics.'

300%_Density
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I haven't quite got a complete full listen yet but I completely agree that it seems to be going more towards the blues side which I'm completely great w/. After last album I went and listened to 5 Horse Johnson and that absolutely blew me away. I don't think it necessarily has any stand out tracks like Blast Tyrant or Beale Street... did but still damn fine. A few tracks that standout to me is "Motherless Child" "The Amazing Kreskin" & "Struck Down". They stood out to me initially but still I'll be giving it several listens. Yet again I can't say enough about how amazing the packaging is. That's generally an after thought to most cd's but this one stands out. Also curious about the opinions on that as well.

DethMaiden
07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I haven't quite got a complete full listen yet but I completely agree that it seems to be going more towards the blues side which I'm completely great w/. After last album I went and listened to 5 Horse Johnson and that absolutely blew me away. I don't think it necessarily has any stand out tracks like Blast Tyrant or Beale Street... did but still damn fine. A few tracks that standout to me is "Motherless Child" "The Amazing Kreskin" & "Struck Down". They stood out to me initially but still I'll be giving it several listens. Yet again I can't say enough about how amazing the packaging is. That's generally an after thought to most cd's but this one stands out. Also curious about the opinions on that as well.

Still haven't seen it but Clutch were FURIOUS about the packaging on the last one - apparently they had a cool digipak planned but DRT released it in a jewel case. That was the main reason why they're doing their records on their own label from now on, they were really pissed off at all the labels they've worked with.

And I think the highlight is "Abraham Lincoln" personally.

300%_Density
07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Still haven't seen it but Clutch were FURIOUS about the packaging on the last one - apparently they had a cool digipak planned but DRT released it in a jewel case. That was the main reason why they're doing their records on their own label from now on, they were really pissed off at all the labels they've worked with.

Hmm. Did not know about the digipack thing w/ DRT for the last album but I'm glad they got mad to do their own label. It's odd b/c generally that isn't how I normally start rating a new album by it's packaging but this was worth mentioning.

Definitley not going to question anyones opinion but I've listened to "Abraham Lincoln" a few times & even heard them play it back in Feb. but I honestly can't get into it. I mean I really want to but it just doesn't do it for me personally but hey if you like it, it's all good. Even Clutch that doesn't move me as much, it will still move me more than 95% that is out there right now. :rocker:

HugeRockStar
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM

That's weird my copy of Beale Street is a digipack.

Haven't bought the new album yet but my faves so far are 50,000 Unstoppable Watts, Struck Down and Abe Lincoln.
I think it's a good album but not as good as the last one. Sadly I didn't think the last one was that great either. I'm not crazy about their direction since Robot Hive but I still think they're one of the best most solid bands out there.

TonyD
07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I will say that the packaging is probably some of the best I've seen for those who purchased this album instead of downloading it.
I downloaded it way before it came out, haven't seen it in store yet. If someone would be so kind to upload a picture of the package I'll probably pick it up at the show or ask my store to order it if they don't have it at the show.

:horns:

DethMaiden
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
That's weird my copy of Beale Street is a digipack.

It's the re-release then because if you bought it the day it came out it was a jewel case, and that was the first time Clutch saw the CD.

Spiral_Slave
07-15-2009, 08:06 AM
It's definitely a good listen but I'm with every one who says it just doesn't grab you like previous Clutch albums. My favorite tracks are "50,000 Unstoppable Watts", "Freakonomics", and "Abraham Lincoln."

Derelict
07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Agree with Spiral, in that if i didn't already dig Clutch, this wouldn't be the album to reel me in (like the self titled, or blast tyrant). It breaks down alot like Beale Street where i really like 6-7 songs, a couple songs are ok, and i could care less for the rest.

Natrlhi
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
It breaks down alot like Beale Street where i really like 6-7 songs, a couple songs are ok, and i could care less for the rest.

Well then there are only one or two songs that you don't like - since there are only ten tracks on the album - so I would say that's a pretty good review! ;)
(and BTW, I think the phrase you were looking for is "couldn't care less")

But seriously - I think it's a damn solid release. Almost every song is really damn decent and either groovy or heavy (or both), so...good stuff.

My personal favorite so far is probably "Struck Down". :rocker: (nice guitar effects in the final minute...)

EDIT: Also likin' "50,000 Unstaoppable Watts" and "Freakonomics".

DethMaiden
07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Clutch have ascended to the Iron Maiden level for me. That is to say, when they release a new album, I like it no matter what because it sounds like them (although Maiden did have NPFTD and Clutch did have Jam Room, both of which are only about half good), and it's almost a certain lock for my year-end top ten. And don't fool yourselves, majority of this board, Iron Maiden are that way for you: AMOLAD wasn't twice as good as everything else put out in 2006, but our poll shook down that way, and Maiden appeared on damn near everyone's list, regardless of what else they had.

I'm not knocking that mindset. I'm just that way with two bands now. :D

Natrlhi
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
The lyrics to "Let A Poor Man Be" are awesome. When some of you young lads get married, you'll appreciate them even more. ;)

When you come knockin’ all in tears, wringin’ hands and genuflectin’
You’ll understand that I am a busy man, and my subjects demand my attention
These walls don’t build themselves, and I am runnin’ out of time
So if ya desire anythin’ else, you had better get in line

Poetry. :D

Derelict
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Well then there are only one or two songs that you don't like - since there are only ten tracks on the album - so I would say that's a pretty good review! ;)

pretty much. And the lyrics and video for 50,000 are pretty funny

ADD
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Only the freaks have all the answers :cool: Way cool album. They turned up the rock :horns:

evildeadjedi
04-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I think the album really sinks in after you see the songs live. Granted I loved "Let a Poor man Be", "Struckdown", "Minotaur", "Motherless Child" and "Metroliner". Last Saturday I heard "Freakanomics" and "Let a Poor man Be" for the first time live and they were great! After hearing Abe Lincoln live again I really like it as well (kinda like Spacegrass '09). Overall the guitar work on this album is excellent Tim finally is letting loose again.