PDA

View Full Version : looking for a swedish metal album

The_jman
07-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey All,
I just bought Soilwork's natural born chaos, and really liked it. I also bought most of sworn to a great divide.
and now I was wondering what band or albums might be similar. I really liked soilwork's combination of screamed vocals/lyrical singing.
someone recommended In flames to me, however they have a ton of albums, so knowing what I liked from soilwork, would I like in flames, and if so which album. I listened to some of the samples from come clarity, but as many know song samples they give you on amazon are short so aren't real good indicators of song quality.
so if anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it. Also are there any other bands I should check out? or, is soilwork unique in their style?
thanks for your help,
J.

P.S. hope my post wasn't too confusing, I wrote it kind of in a hurry, lol.

JRA
07-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Well if you're looking for a band from Sweden there is At The Gates.

Wizzbang11
07-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Dark Funeral all the way.

mankvill
07-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Dark Funeral all the way.

<3333333333333

Spiral_Slave
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I am a huge Soilwork fan, and if you like them check out In Flames. Also from Sweden, and very similar style.

SomewhereInTime72
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Check out something earlier than Come Clarity. Clayman is a good place to start.

Spiral_Slave
07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Check out something earlier than Come Clarity. Clayman is a good place to start.

This.

The_jman
07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
yeah, I listened to a few samples on clayman and wasn't sure, but when I bought a few songs from come clarity, I wasn't really impressed, not like I was with soilwork. Maybe I'll go give clayman another listen.

are all the soilwork albums equally as good?

Spiral_Slave
07-11-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah, I listened to a few samples on clayman and wasn't sure, bought when I bought a few songs from come clarity, I wasn't really impressed, not like I was with soilwork. Maybe I'll go give clayman another listen.

are all the soilwork albums equally as good?

I own all of the Soilwork albums except their first, "Steelbath Suicide" and I would rank them like this.

01. Natural Born Chaos
02. A Predator's Portrait
03. Sworn To A Great Divide
04. Figure Number Five
05. The Chainheart Machine
06. Stabbing The Drama

A Predator's Portrait is fantastic, and if you want another Soilwork album I'd highly recommend that as your next pick but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

DethMaiden
07-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Swedish death metal? It's all about At the Gates, Dismember, and Arch Enemy, in that order.

The_jman
07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I own all of the Soilwork albums except their first, "Steelbath Suicide" and I would rank them like this.

01. Natural Born Chaos
02. A Predator's Portrait
03. Sworn To A Great Divide
04. Figure Number Five
05. The Chainheart Machine
06. Stabbing The Drama

A Predator's Portrait is fantastic, and if you want another Soilwork album I'd highly recommend that as your next pick but you really can't go wrong with any of them.
I too thought natural born chaos was the best, I already have songs from a predator's portrait, sworn to a great divide, and figure number 5, where I have 2 from predator, 2 from figure and half the album of sworn to a great divide, so I think I'll work on completing those albums first.
I wasn't real impressed with stabbing the drama's samples, is it better than it sounds at first listen?, I did see you put it at the bottom of your list. sometimes it irritates me that amazon only gives you like 10 second blerbs

Butcher of Birth
07-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Arch Enemy all the way for me!

And hell... Amon Amarth, you can come too. :rocker:

Spiral_Slave
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I too thought natural born chaos was the best, I already have songs from a predator's portrait, sworn to a great divide, and figure number 5, where I have 2 from predator, 2 from figure and half the album of sworn to a great divide, so I think I'll work on completing those albums first.
I wasn't real impressed with stabbing the drama's samples, is it better than it sounds at first listen?, I did see you put it at the bottom of your list. sometimes it irritates me that amazon only gives you like 10 second blerbs

Yeah I'd say your best bet is to get the rest of the songs from APP and STAGD, then start working on the others. STD is my least favorite, just not as memorable as the others to me.

DethMaiden
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah, Amon Amarth. Get some fucking Amon Amarth, bro!

SomewhereInTime72
07-11-2009, 12:38 PM
It may seem obvious, but Children of Bodom are kinda in this category too, and Hatebreeder is a fantastic album.

(but they're finnish, whoops)

The_jman
07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
It may seem obvious, but Children of Bodom are kinda in this category too, and Hatebreeder is a fantastic album.

(but they're finnish, whoops)
I wasn't as much concerned with the sweedish, I just put that in there cause soilwork was. I was mostly looking for great bands that mix the screamed and clean singing

Spiral_Slave
07-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I wasn't as much concerned with the sweedish, I just put that in there cause soilwork was. I was mostly looking for great bands that mix the screamed and clean singing

Naildown sound like a cross between Children Of Bodom and Soilwork and they use both clean and growling vocals. The album World Domination is bad ass if you're going to check 'em out.

xStructualDefect
07-11-2009, 03:53 PM
swedish death metal hmmm

i cant believe nobody has mentioned Dark Tranquillity yet.
but yaa also Arch Enemy, The Haunted, At The Gates, In Flames(preferably pre-RtR), Amon Amarth, etc.

if you want that type of stuff except made by the finnish def check out Kalmah and Mors Principium Est. Norhters good too.

mankvill
07-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Swedish death metal? It's all about At the Gates, Dismember, and Arch Enemy, in that order.

New Dismember is SO fucking good.

SirLardsAlot
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Wolf.

Probably my favorite Wolf song (which is also off what I think is their best album): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfwUzMfLSA

/end thread.

Butcher of Birth
07-12-2009, 01:14 AM
We shouldn't mention DT. Keep them a hidden jewel ;)

ravenheart
07-12-2009, 05:54 AM
The Haunted

It shouldn't have taken this long for someone to say this. Shame on the rest of you :D

mastodon421
07-12-2009, 06:04 AM
In Flames,Amon Amrath and At The Gates would be my top picks for sweedish death metal.

The_jman
07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks all, I liked the sound of naildown will have to look into it further.
I do enjoy it when there is some lyrical singing, not just the growled vocals.

Div
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
you guys, there arent two e's in swedish

also, to the guys suggesting arch enemy, cut it out, its not nice to troll new members like that.

The_jman
07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Appologise for my spelling, I do have an excuse though...
And why is suggesting arch enemy Trolling?
On a side note, a good family friend played in a band who opened for Arch Enemy once.

ravenheart
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Arch Enemy.

But the 2nd and 3rd albums are the best.

SomewhereInTime72
07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Dark Tranquillity are definitely good, I just realized they haven't been mentioned yet. They do the Melodic Death style really good, and do mix up growls and clean vocals on some of their albums.

The_jman
07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Dark Tranquillity are definitely good, I just realized they haven't been mentioned yet. They do the Melodic Death style really good, and do mix up growls and clean vocals on some of their albums.
Which albums mix up the styles? do you know off the top of your head?

SomewhereInTime72
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Which albums mix up the styles? do you know off the top of your head?
Projector, Haven, and Fiction all have songs that are sung partly or completely 'clean'. Though to be honest, a lot of their best work is purely growled.

The_jman
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

ADD
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
http://fsmat.at/~atrax/Florilegium/Dissection_Storm-of-the-Light-s-Bane_cover.jpg

Derelict
07-14-2009, 06:43 AM
^^^^^

Can't go wrong with Storm of the Light's Bane, or Slaughter of the Soul

Indestructible
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
If you want in flames get

whoracle
clayman and
soundtrack to your escape

SomewhereInTime72
07-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Man, I haven't listened to Dissection in so long, I forgot how much Storm of the Light's Bane was awesome. I think I'll give it another spin today.