PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest -- St. Louis, MO -- July 1st, 2009

Rob
07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
A very good show last night. I though both Priest and Whitesnake were in good form. Priest played the same set as the show in Indy but thought I would post it anyway if nothing else to add the Whitesnake set.

Whitesnake 7:30-8:45
1. Bad Boys
2. Fool For Your Lovin'
3. Love Ain't No Stranger
4. Slow & Easy
5. Lay Down Your Love
6. Guitar Solo Duel
7. Crying in the Rain
8. Is This Love
9. Give Me All Your Love
10. Here I Go Again
11. Still of the Night

Judas Priest 9:15-10:35
1. Rapid Fire
2. Metal Gods
3. Breaking The Law
4. Grinder
5. United
6. You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise
7. Living After Midnight
8. The Rage
9. Steeler
10. The Ripper
11. Prophecy
12. Rock Hard Ride Free
13. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

14. Freewheel Burning
15. Diamonds And Rust
16. You've Got Another Thing Comin'

mankvill
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I shoulda gone!

Queensrychian
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
why can't great bands fill 2 hours anymore? Is it me or are we getting less for our money than we used to? Would it kill a band to give back to the fans and play 2 plus hours. It takes longer to get to a show these days than a band actually plays. I am PISSED OFF.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I did not know that Whitesnake and Priest were co-headlining. A bit dissapointing, must say :(

The Priest set kinda makes up for it though.

rjturtle9
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I did not know that Whitesnake and Priest were co-headlining. A bit dissapointing, must say :(

The Priest set kinda makes up for it though.

if u look at the times, priest's set is actually shorter!!!!

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2009, 03:11 PM
CRYING IN THE RAIN FUCK YES!!

rjturtle9
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
oops my bad, priests set is longer, but only by 5 minutes

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
oops my bad, priests set is longer, but only by 5 minutes

:(

They need a 2:30+ set

rjturtle9
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
:(

They need a 2:30+ set

well i get the fact that maybe not all bands can go 2 hours, but they should at least give us 1:45 like at metal masters. anything less than that is ridiculous for a headliner. and the fact that whitesnake is getting pretty much the exact amount of time is crazy!!! they are support not co-headline. 40 mins will do. an hour tops!!

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
well i get the fact that maybe not all bands can go 2 hours, but they should at least give us 1:45 like at metal masters. anything less than that is ridiculous for a headliner. and the fact that whitesnake is getting pretty much the exact amount of time is crazy!!! they are support not co-headline. 40 mins will do. an hour tops!!

Yea man, Whitesnake are getting way too much time. Give some more to Priest so after British Steel they can pull out some other gems!

SirLardsAlot
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Wish I could go to the show next week on the 11th. But I'm currently on a 2 week vacation from work, my boss wouldn't have been happy if I asked for another day off right when I got back! :(

Sanitarium78
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
why can't great bands fill 2 hours anymore? Is it me or are we getting less for our money than we used to? Would it kill a band to give back to the fans and play 2 plus hours. It takes longer to get to a show these days than a band actually plays. I am PISSED OFF.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been noticing that with a lot of bands in rencent years. I think it's a bit lazy to headline and only do an hour or so. But a lot of time it's not the bands fault either. When you put all these bands on one bill like Ozzfest or Mayhem fest does they give the bands less time to play and I think cuz of that bands have gotten into the mentallity that giving people less than 90 minutes is a headlining set.

I remember my first metal show. Metallica and Guns N Roses with Faith No More opening. FNM got about 45 minutes, Metallica did their usual headline set of over 2 hours and GNR played for 2 and a half hours. Bands need to get back to that. Maybe the economy is not the reason for bands not selling tickets as well as they used to maybe it's cuz fans know they're not gonna get a 2 plus hour headling set like they used to and they just say fuck it.

Sorry for the rant:bliss:

rjturtle9
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been noticing that with a lot of bands in rencent years. I think it's a bit lazy to headline and only do an hour or so. But a lot of time it's not the bands fault either. When you put all these bands on one bill like Ozzfest or Mayhem fest does they give the bands less time to play and I think cuz of that bands have gotten into the mentallity that giving people less than 90 minutes is a headlining set.

I remember my first metal show. Metallica and Guns N Roses with Faith No More opening. FNM got about 45 minutes, Metallica did their usual headline set of over 2 hours and GNR played for 2 and a half hours. Bands need to get back to that. Maybe the economy is not the reason for bands not selling tickets as well as they used to maybe it's cuz fans know they're not gonna get a 2 plus hour headling set like they used to and they just say fuck it.

Sorry for the rant:bliss:

thank god for rush and queensryche!!!

JRA
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Was it the heavy version of Diamonds & Rust?

Sanitarium78
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Deffinately!! Rush is the best band i've ever seen live. I don't get why a band like Priest that's been around just as long and has just as big of a catalog as them doesn't do the "Evening With" concert theme. You give yourself a 30 minute break between sets and that should be good. Plus if Halford needs an extra rest for his voice the band could always jam for like 5 minutes or something. Queensryche and Metallica always give 2 hours or more every show to. It just seems odd to me how all these bands have gotten into doing these short sets now when there's not that many bands on the bill. I can understand if the lineup is stacked but when it's only 2 or 3 bands you can give 2 hours. Like i said before i think it's just lazy on the bands part who do these short headline sets.

Queensrychian
07-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Deffinately!! Rush is the best band i've ever seen live. I don't get why a band like Priest that's been around just as long and has just as big of a catalog as them doesn't do the "Evening With" concert theme. You give yourself a 30 minute break between sets and that should be good. Plus if Halford needs an extra rest for his voice the band could always jam for like 5 minutes or something. Queensryche and Metallica always give 2 hours or more every show to. It just seems odd to me how all these bands have gotten into doing these short sets now when there's not that many bands on the bill. I can understand if the lineup is stacked but when it's only 2 or 3 bands you can give 2 hours. Like i said before i think it's just lazy on the bands part who do these short headline sets.

You got what I am trying to say man!!!! Recently saw Coheed and they played an hour 5 or 10 minutes of songs, then did a 40 minute jam session. I love em but come on. And I saw Motley at the Garden in March, an hour 40 tops! Ah at 90 bucks a seat they owe us more! And I don't mean 3 opening bands, screw opening bands I don't think I have ever gone to a show to see a opening band, with the exception of metallica and queensryche back on the And Justice Tour. (Great Show by the way March 89') I am not a big Bruce Springsteen fan but the guy goes out there and puts on a three hour plus epic.

Queensrychian
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
You got what I am trying to say man!!!! Recently saw Coheed and they played an hour 5 or 10 minutes of songs, then did a 40 minute jam session. I love em but come on. And I saw Motley at the Garden in March, an hour 40 tops! At at 90 bucks a seat they owe us more! And I don't mean 3 opening bands, screw opening bands I don't think I have ever gone to a show to see a opening band, with the exception of metallica and queensryche back on the And Justice Tour. (Great Show by the way March 89') I am not a big Bruce Springsteen fan but the guy goes out there and puts on a three hour plus epic.

mankvill
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
When I saw Priest last year, the set was this:

Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
Metal Gods
Eat Me Alive
Between The Hammer And The Anvil
Devil's Child
Breaking The Law
Hell Patrol
Dissident Aggressor
Angel
The Hellion/Electric Eye
Rock Hard, Ride Free
Painkiller
---
Hell Bent For Leather
The Green Manalishi
You've Got Another Thing Coming

I think they would've thrown in another (Sinner) had fucking Jackyl not gone over by about 20 - 30 minutes. I don't exactly remember how long they played for, but it seemed pretty long.

Sanitarium78
07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
You got what I am trying to say man!!!! Recently saw Coheed and they played an hour 5 or 10 minutes of songs, then did a 40 minute jam session. I love em but come on. And I saw Motley at the Garden in March, an hour 40 tops! At at 90 bucks a seat they owe us more! And I don't mean 3 opening bands, screw opening bands I don't think I have ever gone to a show to see a opening band, with the exception of metallica and queensryche back on the And Justice Tour. (Great Show by the way March 89') I am not a big Bruce Springsteen fan but the guy goes out there and puts on a three hour plus epic.

That's insane that a band would do that long of a jam session nowa days I would've walked out. As for paying 90 bucks to see Motely Crue and being mad they didn't play longer you brought that on yourself. There's only a few bands i'd pay 90 bucks a ticket to see live and Crue isn't one of em. I don't like Springsteen much either but he always plays 3 or 4 hours and doesn't use age as an excuse and play short sets like some fans like to do in defense of why their band doesn't play longer

nxtVH90
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Yea man, Whitesnake are getting way too much time. Give some more to Priest so after British Steel they can pull out some other gems!

Agreed. Whitesnake are a fine band. But priest are much better and should at least get a longer set. If anything, add a couple tracks. Like Painkiller + Hellion/Electric Eye would do the trick. but looks like a great show, overall.

andrew_metalhead
07-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Their kind of music allows for longer sets. You can't expect Maiden or Priest to match those lengths with the age group of their members.

Dimebag_Rusty
07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Their kind of music allows for longer sets. You can't expect Maiden or Priest to match those lengths with the age group of their members.

What the hell are you talking about? Geddy, Alex And Peart are all 55/56 while Iron Maiden are all 52 except Bruce who is 50 and Nicko who is 57. Age doesnt matter.

andrew_metalhead
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Geddy, Alex And Peart are all 55/56 while Iron Maiden are all 52 except Bruce who is 50 and Nicko who is 57. Age doesnt matter.

Age and music style combined.

Maiden33
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I think this tour just should have never happened in the first place. Judas Priest should've done the same set of dates alone so that ignorant Judas Priest fans wouldn't complain about Whitesnake "playing too long" when in reality Priest wouldn't be playing much or any longer alone. And then people like myself who really only wanted to see Whitesnake could just pay $40 and see them front row at a GA venue. See, everyone can be happy.

Maiden33
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Maiden? No. Priest? Yes. The music isn't all that different, but the performances couldn't be any more different. For how much effort Priest seem to put into their live performances these days, they should be playing twice as long. For the way Maiden still performs, an hour and 45 minutes is plenty.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I think this tour just should have never happened in the first place. Judas Priest should've done the same set of dates alone so that ignorant Judas Priest fans wouldn't complain about Whitesnake "playing too long" when in reality Priest wouldn't be playing much or any longer alone. And then people like myself who really only wanted to see Whitesnake could just pay $40 and see them front row at a GA venue. See, everyone can be happy.

Whether Whitesnake are playing too long or not, Priest is most definately playing too little, and that's why there are complaints. Priest can definately play longer, understood that they are playing British Steel in its entirety, but a) that is not the most diffficult of albums to play and b) a break between sets wouldn't be the worst idea.

Maiden33
07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Whether Whitesnake are playing too long or not, Priest is most definately playing too little, and that's why there are complaints. Priest can definately play longer, understood that they are playing British Steel in its entirety, but a) that is not the most diffficult of albums to play and b) a break between sets wouldn't be the worst idea.

My issue is that I hate how people are blaming Priest's set time on Whitesnake, when in reality it probably wouldn't be much or any longer even they were alone or with a lone 30-minute support opener.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
My issue is that I hate how people are blaming Priest's set time on Whitesnake, when in reality it probably wouldn't be much or any longer even they were alone or with a lone 30-minute support opener.

While I agree with you, that doesn't make it right that that's how it would be. They can easily throw in some more songs, make the second set an easy hour or so. I don't know if it's laziness, lacking in being able to play them, I don't know (even though I doubt it's the latter).

I am not complaining in the long term though, the set is pretty good ignoring the length, and I'm really anxious to see it.

Bloodcurse
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Whitesnake should play "Best Years" off the new album.

andrew_metalhead
07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Maiden? No. Priest? Yes. The music isn't all that different, but the performances couldn't be any more different. For how much effort Priest seem to put into their live performances these days, they should be playing twice as long. For the way Maiden still performs, an hour and 45 minutes is plenty.

The other members of Priest are totally fine, but I can't really see Rob Halford singing for 2 hours+ every show of a tour.

TonyD
07-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Halford is 7 years older than Dickinson, and not in as good of shape. The whole band has a few extra years of age and wear.
I don't really care about them running around and throwing their guitars in the air as long as they can execute the music well and fit some synchronized headbanging in the set.
That said, they should be playing at least 90 minutes for what they are charging for tickets.

andrew_metalhead
07-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Halford is 7 years older than Dickinson, and not in as good of shape. The whole band has a few extra years of age and wear.
I don't really care about them running around and throwing their guitars in the air as long as they can execute the music well and fit some synchronized headbanging in the set.
That said, they should be playing at least 90 minutes for what they are charging for tickets.

Agree 100%! \m/

Man .. I paid 140 bucks for the LA show pit ticket! And thats face value!
90 minutes is about right. But when people start comparing their set length with Rush and Queensryche, now THATs not right.

jsheajr
07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm glad I decided to skip out on this tour. I can remember seeing Priest back in the day and they'd play well over 2 hours! I most recently saw them in '05 and they still played a good 2 hour set. I know I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but "British Steel" isn't even in my Top 5 Priest albums. "Breaking The Law" and "Living After Midnight" have been so overplayed and "United" is perhaps their worst song ever! I'd much rather see Priest play "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Hell Bent For Leather", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Painkiller" or "Sin After Sin" in its entirety.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm glad I decided to skip out on this tour. I can remember seeing Priest back in the day and they'd play well over 2 hours! I most recently saw them in '05 and they still played a good 2 hour set. I know I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but "British Steel" isn't even in my Top 5 Priest albums. "Breaking The Law" and "Living After Midnight" have been so overplayed and "United" is perhaps their worst song ever! I'd much rather see Priest play "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Hell Bent For Leather", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Painkiller" or "Sin After Sin" in its entirety.

The only thing I disagree with what you said is United (I personally love that song). Although I completely agree with British Steel not being in my top 5 Priest records. It is a very overrated record and it's doesn't even come close to Painkiller, Sad Wings, Screaming, Defenders, and now I might get flamed, but even Angel of Retribution. British Steel is down there for me, but I will still enjoy it while I can to hear tracks like Rapid Fire and Steeler (and United :snivel:)

es156
07-03-2009, 09:48 AM
For what it's worth, the times that I documented for the sets were:

Whitesnake: 7.35-8.45
Judas Priest: 9.12-10.45

I got to my seat right about 7.30 so I know Whitesnake didn't go on until at least 5 minutes later, or more. I thought there was another opening act before Whitesnake so I was actually surprised when they hit the stage. And I may not have checked the time until Priest actually left the stage, but I would say they were on stage for around 90 minutes. But either way, I could have definitely done without the Whitesnake guitar and drum solos. I am assuming that contractually they are guaranteed a certain amount of time, but I would have preferred a couple more songs from Priest.

JRA
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
The question still stands, bitches...
Was it the heavy version of Diamonds & Rust?

and honestly, I don't know why bands still do individual solos, that shit stopped being cool when the 80's ended.

TonyD
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
The question still stands, bitches...
[Diamond and Rust]
and honestly, I don't know why bands still do individual solos, that shit stopped being cool when the 80's ended.

Yes.
And no, it stopped being cool when Jimmy Page stopped touring.

bennythedog
07-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

I spotted this forum because I wanted to see how WS would alter their setlist now that they're opening for JP. We saw them do a headlining show in Grand Rapids last weekend, which really kicked ass!! David is in fine voice and his lineup featuring Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach and Chris Frazier (who played many years with Steve Vai, but you already knew that!!) is extremely tight. They did pretty much the same songs except they opened with Best Years, played Can You Hear The Wind Blow 3rd after Bad Boys, played an acoustic version of The Deeper The Love, and did not play Fool For Your Loving. In saying that, the current list looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in Chicago on 7/19.

In talking with Doug Aldrich after that show, he said David was working on streamlining the show to about 70 minutes, which coincides with what the previous poster said about the timing of the 2 bands. I agree that the time WS is playing has no effect on how long JP plays. However, I also understand why JP fans would want them to play longer (how can they even play a show without Electric Eye in the set?).

John

JRA
07-05-2009, 10:11 AM
You know, Whitesnake could probably boost their metal cred to the Priest fans a notch by playing Burn or Stormbringer.

girnny777
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Same Judas Priest set in Wallingford, CT

Victim of Changes!!!:rocker:

rjturtle9
07-05-2009, 10:08 PM

true. for the amount of effort maiden puts in their shows, i get all my moneys worth. and im not saying priest should play the 2 and a half hours of the other bands i mentioned, but any band that is headlining should get no less than an 1:45.

rjturtle9
07-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Age and music style combined.

dude that doesn't even mater. rush is almost the age of the priest guys, and they but on a way more energetic show then they do. and i would also think their material is a lot harder to pull off live.

Butcher of Birth
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I Expected more from Priest, as in set-time.

Oh well, looks like I'm still missing this gig... :\

girnny777
07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Judas Priest are selling an awesome Sad Wings Of Destiny shirt on this tour. That was a nice surprise.

Electric/Funeral55
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Judas Priest are selling an awesome Sad Wings Of Destiny shirt on this tour. That was a nice surprise.

Do you remember how much the shirts and ect were and should I keep my out for any other cool designs also?

girnny777
07-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Shirts were $35. They had the Sad Wings shirt, like 3 Biritish Steel Shirts, a Four Horseman shirt that was similar to the one from the Metal Masters Tour and a few other misc pieces of merch.

Electric/Funeral55
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Shirts were $35. They had the Sad Wings shirt, like 3 Biritish Steel Shirts, a Four Horseman shirt that was similar to the one from the Metal Masters Tour and a few other misc pieces of merch.

3 British Steel shirts? Was there any difference between the 3 in terms of design? Oh, and did the 4 horsemen shirt have the tour dates on the back? I wanted to pic that one up last time at Metal Masters but the back had the silly face in black and white on it.

IrritatedTrout
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Found these pics of merch.

http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/attachment.php?attachmentid=66494&stc=1&d=1246895755

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n181/signboy_2k/DSC01270.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n181/signboy_2k/DSC01269.jpg