PDA

View Full Version : Walkman VS. iPOD

(sic)&disturbed
06-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I saw this on a blog I was reading and got a kick out of it thought I would share it here! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm Maybe some of you have some fond memories of your Walkman/Portable Cassette player. I know I still have mine its a Sony and it still works but I dont use it anymore!

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Uh....iPod. Hands down.

Derelict
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Man, i remember dubbing cd's on to tapes so that i could listen to them on my walkman, or the tape player in my car...good times

TonyD
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't see what argument they are making for the walkman other than having two headphone jacks.

SomewhereInTime72
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Before I had an iPod, I would use my walkman when my CD player broke! It was fun to carry around on the subway and have people make confused faces at me. :)

Tapes get eaten over time though, so it was never a medium I ever really wanted to commit to.

Indestructible
06-29-2009, 01:57 PM
why would people not go for an ipod or any device that you can carry with you at all times that hold everything you ever listen to

Maiden33
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
why would people not go for an ipod...

Because I hate Apple.

Div
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
mp3 > tapes as far as music is concerned.

but tapes > dvds when it comes to movies (except for not having HD)

Butcher of Birth
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Because I hate Apple.

I second that.

I don't understand the hype for their products, they never work like they say for me. My school's video editing hardware and software is all apple products, but I can make better movies in half the time on Microsoft Movie Maker... shame... such a simple program too.

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
There are MP3 players that aren't made by Ipod.

Maiden33
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
There are MP3 players that aren't made by Ipod.

I realize this, hence why I isolated only part of that statement and responded to it.
Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves is people in my parents' generation who assume that an mp3 player IS an iPod. Like the words can effectively be used interchangeably.

DethMaiden
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I went through portable CD players like crazy from approximately 2000 to 2006. Probably bought and subsequently broke at least ten in that time. I'm now on my second iPod and have been basically 95% satisfied with the product (I'm also a MacBook Pro user now, I suppose, and I love it too). I used a Walkman that was my dad's in college before I started using personal CD players and it is a higher quality piece of machinery than any fucking Discman I've ever bought. That said, who uses cassettes?

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I dont know what that article was about...because it didnt give too many pros of using a walkman.

TonyD
06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I went through portable CD players like crazy from approximately 2000 to 2006. Probably bought and subsequently broke at least ten in that time. I'm now on my second iPod and have been basically 95% satisfied with the product (I'm also a MacBook Pro user now, I suppose, and I love it too). I used a Walkman that was my dad's in college before I started using personal CD players and it is a higher quality piece of machinery than any fucking Discman I've ever bought. That said, who uses cassettes?

No one. Worst music medium other than the 8-track.

powerslave_85
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Walkman, definitely.

Oh, wait. It's not 1993? I'll go with the iPod then.

JuuKun
06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
I went through portable CD players like crazy from approximately 2000 to 2006. Probably bought and subsequently broke at least ten in that time. I'm now on my second iPod and have been basically 95% satisfied with the product

This is my story in a nutshell too. I can't even count how many CD players broke over the years, and I've only ever had one problem with my iPod and that was the headphone jack fucking up last year but I got that fixed.

ADD
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
who uses cassettes?

:agree:

And I prefer iPod's to portable CD players.

Butcher of Birth
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Honestly, the only reason I have an MP3 Player (Zune in my case) is because I have have all my music, but I prefer my CD Player, I like the sound quality. You can't be listening to Dimmu Borgir on a CD, then you can on the slighty compressed to highly compressed MP3 Player Formats.

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
You can't be listening to Dimmu Borgir on a CD, then you can on the slighty compressed to highly compressed MP3 Player Formats.

I don't think the medium is the problem.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Honestly, the only reason I have an MP3 Player (Zune in my case) is because I have have all my music, but I prefer my CD Player, I like the sound quality. You can't be listening to Dimmu Borgir on a CD, then you can on the slighty compressed to highly compressed MP3 Player Formats.

Just rip it at really high quality. 666 kbps should sound evil enough.

Butcher of Birth
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't think the medium is the problem.

haha Nice one ;)

Just rip it at really high quality. 666 kbps should sound evil enough.

That could work, but I still like the overall sound of CD more. Even with good ripping, you can hear compression in mostly the drums with that staticy kinda sound. I hear it a lot when listening to an Mp3 player through a Car Radio AUX Plug.

Indestructible
06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
it always sucks when you drop your ipod or mp3

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 06:50 AM
it always sucks when you drop your ipod or mp3

Yeah. And there are so few places you can take an iPod to fix it. Apple's protectionist policies coupled with their shitty warranty conditions don't help either.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I think it's unfair to rip on portable CD players to the extent that some people do. First of all, I have never had a big problem with going through them at a fast pace. If you buy a decent one, it can last you a long time if you don't abuse it. I know I've had at least 2 or 3 that have lasted several years at a time. Another thing I think people should keep in mind is that the average portable CD player costs what? $30? As opposed to an mp3 player which will run you almost 10x that. It's true that you get what you pay for.
I still just can't fully jump on the mp3 player bandwagon mostly out of principle. I am clinging desperately to the idea that there is still value in loving one album enough to listen to the whole thing. That mentality is dieing unbelievably fast. In most cases when I need to listen to music in a portable format, it doesn't need to last me any longer than an hour, and I have countless albums that can easily occupy that time. I spent 2 days in the hospital 2 months back and listened to just 3 or 4 albums. Sure, I don't have an mp3 player and thus don't have every album I have with me at all times, but I don't feel like it's a big deal.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
I think it's unfair to rip on portable CD players to the extent that some people do. First of all, I have never had a big problem with going through them at a fast pace. If you buy a decent one, it can last you a long time if you don't abuse it. I know I've had at least 2 or 3 that have lasted several years at a time. Another thing I think people should keep in mind is that the average portable CD player costs what? $30? As opposed to an mp3 player which will run you almost 10x that. It's true that you get what you pay for.
I still just can't fully jump on the mp3 player bandwagon mostly out of principle. I am clinging desperately to the idea that there is still value in loving one album enough to listen to the whole thing. That mentality is dieing unbelievably fast. In most cases when I need to listen to music in a portable format, it doesn't need to last me any longer than an hour, and I have countless albums that can easily occupy that time. I spent 2 days in the hospital 2 months back and listened to just 3 or 4 albums. Sure, I don't have an mp3 player and thus don't have every album I have with me at all times, but I don't feel like it's a big deal.

I totally see what you mean, I'm kind of one of those people who lost that too :(. I remember the good old days of listening to one album through and through and really developing a connection with that record, every song and all. Ever since I got an I-Pod and the 5 others that have followed it, assloads of albums and songs have replaced true bonding. Don't get me wrong, even though I've heard 90% of my favorite tracks through the I-Pod years, I will never forget when I bought an album and I put it in my CD player and just ran it through like 10 times straight. Albums like Mezmerize, In Sorte Diaboli, Powerslave, ...And Justice For All....good memories. I know that those records are really out there compared to one another, but those are really one of the many records that I really have such a connection with because I just focused on them and them alone in that moment. I've been trying to do that lately, I'm getting better, even with over 50GB of music and whatnot :lol:

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 08:22 AM
I totally see what you mean, I'm kind of one of those people who lost that too :(. I remember the good old days of listening to one album through and through and really developing a connection with that record, every song and all. Ever since I got an I-Pod and the 5 others that have followed it, assloads of albums and songs have replaced true bonding. Don't get me wrong, even though I've heard 90% of my favorite tracks through the I-Pod years, I will never forget when I bought an album and I put it in my CD player and just ran it through like 10 times straight. Albums like Mezmerize, In Sorte Diaboli, Powerslave, ...And Justice For All....good memories. I know that those records are really out there compared to one another, but those are really one of the many records that I really have such a connection with because I just focused on them and them alone in that moment. I've been trying to do that lately, I'm getting better, even with over 50GB of music and whatnot :lol:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's obviously not that you can't listen to an album normally on an mp3 player, but it's just far less common.
But speaking of albums dominating your life, I know I recommended it to you before, and I'll do so again. Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls" has been totally dominating my personal listening for a full month now. I just can't get enough of it, and I know you said you like Circus Maximus, who are probably the closest band I can think of to compare that album to.

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm not a music elitist, so I don't cling anti-technological nostalgia for the sake of 'the good ole days.'

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's obviously not that you can't listen to an album normally on an mp3 player, but it's just far less common.
But speaking of albums dominating your life, I know I recommended it to you before, and I'll do so again. Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls" has been totally dominating my personal listening for a full month now. I just can't get enough of it, and I know you said you like Circus Maximus, who are probably the closest band I can think of to compare that album to.

Yeah man, I hear ya. Megadeth's "Youthanasia" has been dominating my personal listening, I listened to it three times in a row when picking up my mom from Kennedy Airport :lol:. And to "Mercy Falls", their shi is fucking awesome! I am currently listening to the song "Welcome to the Mercy Falls", mad epic, I definately see the Circus Maximus in them. Good looks on the reccomend :rocker:.

I'm not a music elitist, so I don't cling anti-technological nostalgia for the sake of 'the good ole days.'

Well I ain't no music elitist either, I love I-Pods and I think they are a lot better than CD players or anything else for that matter, but I agree with Maiden33's point that it is just rare to sit down and listen to a record straight and "bond" with it.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 08:52 AM
And to "Mercy Falls", their shi is fucking awesome! I am currently listening to the song "Welcome to the Mercy Falls", mad epic, I definately see the Circus Maximus in them. Good looks on the reccomend :rocker:.

No joke, I have probably listened to Mercy Falls at least 5 times a week for a month or 5-6 weeks now. It's an amazing start-to-finish listen as well. If I would've heard it within last year it would've probably been my #3 album of the year. One of the best albums I've heard in quite a while.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-30-2009, 09:00 AM
No joke, I have probably listened to Mercy Falls at least 5 times a week for a month or 5-6 weeks now. It's an amazing start-to-finish listen as well. If I would've heard it within last year it would've probably been my #3 album of the year. One of the best albums I've heard in quite a while.

That's intense, must be good then. I need to listen to it in its entirety, but from the tracks I've heard it's pretty epic. I'll be sure to rip it sometime and give it the proper "CD" listen. Have you listened to that Magic Kingdom yet?

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
but I agree with Maiden33's point that it is just rare to sit down and listen to a record straight and "bond" with it.

Then do it. Before you sync up your ipod, just listen to the album. Nothing is stopping you from doing it. There is nothing wrong with technology; its just the way you choose to use it.

Derelict
06-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Just got a 32G ipod touch, upgrade from my 30G ipod classic....must say, i'm a big fan. I see why people get such boners over their iphones now.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
That's intense, must be good then. I need to listen to it in its entirety, but from the tracks I've heard it's pretty epic. I'll be sure to rip it sometime and give it the proper "CD" listen. Have you listened to that Magic Kingdom yet?

I have not. The current state of my computer makes it pretty impossible to download anything, watch practically anything, or listen to any sort of clips or streaming stuff online. It's in the back of my mind though.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Then do it. Before you sync up your ipod, just listen to the album. Nothing is stopping you from doing it. There is nothing wrong with technology; its just the way you choose to use it.

But when there's so many albums to listen to, it just gets a bit overwhelming sometimes. I've definately given the "CD listen" to many albums before and after I've synced it with my I-Pod, but with so much new music coming out and the power of downloading, it gets hard to sit down and manage all that music and give them each the time they deserve.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I have not. The current state of my computer makes it pretty impossible to download anything, watch practically anything, or listen to any sort of clips or streaming stuff online. It's in the back of my mind though.

That blows man. Just put it in the front when you get the chance, good stuff :D

DethMaiden
06-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Well, you know, I still have a CD player, but it's a boombox for my room. I listen to my actual CDs every single day. But I think the convenience of an iPod outweighs the magic of albums or whatever. Like Cameron said, why not just listen to a full album in its new digitized, portable format.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
On my iPod, I still generally listen to albums only, with a few exceptions (like if I'm only gonna listen to music for about 15 minutes, I'll throw on a shuffle for some random stuff, or when I go running which I have a playlist for that I change every couple of days.) It's pretty useful to have the option to do both.

Also the songs over albums mentality has always been big among more casual fans of music, now it's just been made easier for them since they can download the song they like instead of buy an album and only like one song off it. I say good for them. :tongue:

Derelict
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I mainly listen to my ipod at work, so I generally put an album on and listen to it all the way through. It's alot easier bringing my ipod in than a case with 1000 cds in it. If i have a party or something, i usually put a playlist together and put it on the docking station, again, which is alot easier than burning multiple cds and changing them out.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Also the songs over albums mentality has always been big among more casual fans of music, now it's just been made easier for them since they can download the song they like instead of buy an album and only like one song off it.

THIS is what's killing the music industry. Not single-handedly, but this is the biggest single factor.

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 09:52 AM
THIS is what's killing the music industry. Not single-handedly, but this is the biggest single factor.

What 'music' industry? Certainly not for bands....the music executives havent had the bands in mind for decades now. As long as people are making the music they like, and I like, then I say fuck the music industries.

In the words of Immortal Technique: "We keeping it live, we keeping it live
burn it off the fucking internet, and bump it outside." If your music is good, it will reach fans...and who cares whether they like one song or 100 songs that you make, the point is that they're still a fan.

And i dont really see how other people's listening habits effect YOU.

Derelict
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
If you want to support a band...buy their T shirt at the show. That money actually goes to them, as opposed to 10 cents split 4 ways for an album sale.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-30-2009, 10:18 AM
It's been a minute with MP3s. I remember when the first MP3 CD players came out (I ended up with a RioVolt SP250 that I later dropped down the stairs...) And I remember when MP3 players first came out. I waited them out for a long time. I got a Zen Micro in 2004 (I think it was) as a gift, but I never really liked it. I resisted iPods for a long time. (I remember when iTunes wasn't available for Windows.) I'm not a fan of Apple and their closed nature as a rule.

But... I love my iPod. I bought it last January (it's a 5.5 generation one). Since I got it, it's spent most of its time connected to my stereo in my car. It's been in my car when it's -10, when it's 100, it's been dropped, beaten, and abused in all the worst ways an MP3 player can be. Yet it still works great, and the screen is in great shape. It connects directly to my car's stereo. It's fast and rarely pauses when I'm skipping through dozens of songs. It connects to my home theater too, and has always worked great playing TV shows or purchased movies (can't rent with the 5.5 gen) through my system.

And now, with iTunes being DRM free... I think the iPod is an even better choice than it was before. I still have my complaints about Apple, but... I have not had a single problem with my iPod in the year and half I've owned it. And I've beaten it to crap and used it literally ever single day since I've bought it. My Zen only made it just over a year (long enough to be out of warranty) before it conked out, unable to start up.

And yeah, Walkmans were cool at the time, but I never much like the Discman I had.

mankvill
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I love my Zune. <3

EvilCheeseWedge
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I love my Zune. <3

One of my friends had (has?) a Zune. I don't really see the appeal. The wireless features would be cool if they weren't so limited. The Zune Marketplace is lamesauce (I hate Microsoft Points with a passion :flame: ) And, it's otherwise unremarkable compared to the iPod, except that, since the iPod is so common, it's very easy to get accessories for it, which is especially nice in situations like connecting to a car stereo, home theater, etc.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-30-2009, 10:32 AM

No way.

If tomorrow you could only buy albums, music sales would plummet.

Everybody would just pirate the songs they want (even more than they already do.)

mankvill
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
One of my friends had (has?) a Zune. I don't really see the appeal. The wireless features would be cool if they weren't so limited. The Zune Marketplace is lamesauce (I hate Microsoft Points with a passion :flame: ) And, it's otherwise unremarkable compared to the iPod, except that, since the iPod is so common, it's very easy to get accessories for it, which is especially nice in situations like connecting to a car stereo, home theater, etc.

I just love it because in the 2 years I've had it, it's never messed up. Whereas my roommate has had to get his iPod fixed 3 times. :party:

mankvill
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
No way.

Everybody would just pirate the songs they want (even more than they already do.)

I actually wrote a paper last semester FOR music piracy, and I found an interesting article which shows research that people who pirate music regularly buy ten times more more albums than people who don't pirate regularly.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I just love it because in the 2 years I've had it, it's never messed up. Whereas my roommate has had to get his iPod fixed 3 times. :party:

Dang, what's he doing to his iPod? Like I've said, I've beaten mine horribly and it's still kickin'.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I actually wrote a paper last semester FOR music piracy, and I found an interesting article which shows research that people who pirate music regularly buy ten times more more albums than people who don't pirate regularly.

I believe that.

First, you have people pirating albums before they come out. They might end up buying it on release, but I'd bet these downloads are still considered "lost sales" - which is such a strange concept. While I'm sure a good chunk of people that pirate music could afford to purchase that music, I'm sure plenty can't. So I'm not so sure about this whole business of "losing sales." I'm sure plenty of people pirate music to "preview" it as well, in which case pirates being buyers of music doesn't at all seem strange to me.

But I really think that if you took the ability to buy just single songs from albums away online, you would have piracy go up. I mean, what if you pirate an album, and enjoy 3 songs on it? Maybe even enjoy them enough to buy those songs, but not the album. Would you just buy the whole album then? I doubt it. You'd buy the three songs. But you take away the ability to do that and what are you going to do... buy the album, or fuck it, and just listen to your pirated copy?

I don't believe that the single greatest thing killing the music industry is the ability to buy only the songs you like instead of entire albums. I don't think there's any evidence that substantiates this, and in fact, I think the evidence would likely point to the opposite... that the ability to buy single songs in addition to the option to buy the album actually increases sales. (Also, it's all probably a moot point as I'm not sure there's evidence that ANYTHING is "killing" the music industry.)

I think it's silly that some people here seem to look down on people that purchase music by songs instead of albums. Shouldn't we be free to consume music in the way that suits us best? And I'm sorry, but buying albums instead of songs doesn't make you a better person.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
No way.

Yeah I was thinking...

Pre-itunes:
"I like this song, maybe I'll pick up the album.... what the fuck $17? I only really like that one song... I'll just use limewire or something for it."

post-itunes:
"I like that song, I think I'll buy it off itunes."

Div
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
the only thing killing the music industry is the music industry itself. $20 for an album? no fucking thank you.

i bought nostradamus last year, i hated the album musically, but it came with a nice little concert ticket. AMOLAD came with a shirt. if they're going to charge upwards of $15 for a cd it better come with SOMETHING. a discount coupon for a live dvd, a wristband, a patch, stickers, something!

but instead of doing that the music industry just tries to bully people with lawsuits and scare them into submission. that just makes me feel all the more justified to go "fuck you" and download it for free. and good luck catching people who use discreet rapidshare links or private torrent trackers.

DethMaiden
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, that's ridiculous. I haven't paid $20 for an album, well, ever. You'll pay that for certain vinyl but I don't buy vinyl, and CDs are $15 if you buy them right away (but typicall only 11 or 12 if you buy them in the first week since everybody does first week sales), and if you wait a while they'll show up online somewhere for dirt cheap (ravenheart will attest to this), or you can rest assured that the music chains will discount the price. I think you're looking for $20 albums so you can bitch about them. Any album that is $19.99 in FYE I'll just go somewhere else and get much cheaper.

powerslave_85
06-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, you're a chump if you pay $20 for a (single disc) CD.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Rather than sit here and argue the trivial points of this, I am just going to copy and paste something I posted on the ProgPower forum a couple weeks ago, but first:
1.I never said that iTunes or legal downloading was somehow killing the music industry. I argued that the one-song mentality of today's music consumer is killing the music industry.
and
2.I'm not an idiot, I know that bands make far more off of everything else than album sales, but there is a necessary evil here. If a bands can't achieve a certain level of success, record labels will not help bands tour and make merchandise and all the other stuff that makes them money. I'm not one of those people that thinks the world would be a better place without record labels, and I think the "industry" side of the music industry is just something that is a necessary evil in order to really make it.

Anyway, here is the statement I posted:
"When it comes to me personally, I don't spend less money on CDs due to illegal downloading, I just put it in the right places. A few years back, before I was heavily into downloading, I spend a lot of money on shitty CDs that didn't deserve to get purchases in the first place, bought just because of the band name or the first song or single was really good, as often happens. Thanks to the amount of downloading I do, I check out much more music than I used to, but I still buy about the same amount. Illegal downloading allows me to weed out the dud releases without paying $15-ish and then having to try to sell them back for half of that. It merely cuts out the bullshit. I'm not hurting the industry collectively by downloading, I'm just giving my money to the artists who most deserve it.

As for the bigger picture, downloading is a big problem, but I don't think it's a big problem because of people like you and me, people on this forum, or people into metal or real music of any kind in general. The problem with illegal downloading (and even legal downloading via iTunes or whatever) is that it feeds the pop consumer-mentality of only caring about one song. The value of a great album has been completely destroyed, because for the consumers of today's popular music, they don't care about the album. They want that one song that they heard on the radio or MTV, so they can put it on their iPod and listen to that song. They don't care about the album, they don't care about the artist. They just want their favorite song that week to be their ringtone, or what have you. This sort of mentality is not new, but it's certainly been growing over the past few years with the increased popularity of downloading in general.
This, more or less, is why the format of CDs is failing like it is these days. I own hundreds of them, and I'm sure there are many around these parts with much bigger collections than I. We still buy CDs. The problem is that there is absolutely no way to convince the general public that it is somehow better supportive or more ethical to pay $17.99 (average FYE price) for a CD, when they can just log onto the computer and get that song for $0.99, or even free. There's no way to do it. Though it certainly wouldn't solve the problem, the record indsustry could do itself a big favor by chopping the price of CDs in half. These days, it's starting to become an outdaed format, but the problem is that prices aren't reflecting that. CDs are still priced in most places as they were 10 years ago. If you could walk into Best Buy or FYE and get the music you wanted for $8.99, things would be much better, and I personally know I'd buy a fuckload more music.
As I said though, it's almost an incurable thing. The next 5 years are going to be an interesting time, that's for sure."

ADD
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
the one-song mentality of today's music consumer is killing the music industry.
"

This is truest thing you've ever opined. The irony is that its the music industry's fault for that one-song mentality, its just catching up with them within the last few years.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the one-song mentality has been a prominent thing for people who aren't hardcore into music period since 1980 when that type of person got past the entire hype that albums had for 15 years before then. It's just finally recently that that type of person has been given a break.

edit: blaming them for killing the music industry is as nonsensical as when gamers rage over "CASUALS!!!!! :mad:" for killing the game industry

ADD
06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
"CASUALS!!!!! :mad:"

:lol: That's hilarious. I still agree with Maiden33 though; ultimately its the consumer's choice, and the A.D.D. generation of today (no pun intended) just can't be fucked to sit down for an hour of their day with an album.

PowerMaiden
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
ahh the good old high school days with Show No Mercy, Live After Death Or Ride The Lightning playing full blast in that walkman ... aaahhhh: priceless

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 04:42 PM
:lol: That's hilarious. I still agree with Maiden33 though; ultimately its the consumer's choice, and the A.D.D. generation of today (no pun intended) just can't be fucked to sit down for an hour of their day with an album.

Yeah. I know tons of people that not only cant listen to albums, but usually change the song their listening to before it's finished. Absolutely ridiculous.

DethMaiden
06-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah. I know tons of people that not only cant listen to albums, but usually change the song their listening to before it's finished. Absolutely ridiculous.

I hate that too, but I don't think the kind of music most everyone on this board is into is made by artists who cater to these people, so it essentially doesn't matter.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I hate that too, but I don't think the kind of music most everyone on this board is into is made by artists who cater to these people, so it essentially doesn't matter.

Well, I like to think that if those people listened to some better music they might eventually learn to pay more attention. ;)

ADD
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Holy shit yes, one of the most annoying and dumbfounding things ever.

Div
06-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I think the one-song mentality has been a prominent thing for people who aren't hardcore into music period since 1980 when that type of person got past the entire hype that albums had for 15 years before then. It's just finally recently that that type of person has been given a break.

edit: blaming them for killing the music industry is as nonsensical as when gamers rage over "CASUALS!!!!! :mad:" for killing the game industry

i agree with this. besides, there is nothing new to this "one song" thing, before the internet people would buy singles. some people just dont care about music as much as others do, nothing you can do about that. lots of people just want to listen to the latest hits or have music to make a playlist to, thats their prerogative.

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
This is truest thing you've ever opined. The irony is that its the music industry's fault for that one-song mentality, its just catching up with them within the last few years.

Do you really think that Rick Astley had any good songs on that record other than Never Gonna Give you Up? Do you think the Baha Men had any good songs other than Who Let the Dogs Out? Music has been one-hit based for a few decades now, and as a consumer I would rather pay .99 cents for the one songs that has any quality, over 13 bucks for cheap plastic.

powerslave_85
06-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, before iTunes and downloading people just wasted their money on a whole album that only had one good song on it. I did that a lot when I was a kid: you have no idea how many crappy one-hit-wonder 90's CDs I bought.

mankvill
06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Do you really think that Rick Astley had any good songs on that record other than Never Gonna Give you Up? Do you think the Baha Men had any good songs other than Who Let the Dogs Out? Music has been one-hit based for a few decades now, and as a consumer I would rather pay .99 cents for the one songs that has any quality, over 13 bucks for cheap plastic.

The song released by the Baha Men after Who Let The Dogs Out was pretty good.

edit: also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsJryWc5XE he's fucking huge in britain

ADD
06-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Good songs? :D

What made music sell in more in 1999 versus today? I dunno, I still stand by my opinion. Don't discount the fact that more people had 'fun money' to blow on a CD back then versus today.

Div
06-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah, before iTunes and downloading people just wasted their money on a whole album that only had one good song on it. I did that a lot when I was a kid: you have no idea how many crappy one-hit-wonder 90's CDs I bought.

you mean you didn't just buy "Now That's What I Call Music: Volume x"

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Smashmouth and LFO were my guilty pleasures.

powerslave_85
06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
you mean you didn't just buy "Now That's What I Call Music: Volume x"
Those didn't start coming out until I was already growing out of that phase. They were too poppy for my tastes anyways.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Do you really think that Rick Astley had any good songs on that record other than Never Gonna Give you Up?

Yeah, actually he had a few good songs. :dorky:Those didn't start coming out until I was already growing out of that phase. They were too poppy for my tastes anyways.

:eyes: Didn't they start coming out in the '80s?

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, actually he had a few good songs. :dorky:

Yeah, I know. Don't Say Goodbye Girl and I'll Bring my Love to You are good, but to the general public, no one cares about anything other than the one-hit.

Maiden33
06-30-2009, 08:53 PM
but to the general public, no one cares about anything other than the one-hit.

That's because the "general public" are stupid and only like the music they are force-fed by the music corporations. That's one big reason pop music pisses me off. Songs don't become hits because they are the best track on an album. They become hits because they are usually engineered from start-to-finish to just be as catchy and substance-less as possible, so that the general public can easily consume it. The only reason people only care about one song on an album is usually because it's the only one they are brainwashed into liking. If you listen to some albums by more single-based artists, there are usually several worthwhile tracks on the album that are not singles. The public doesn't show disinterest in them because they are bad, just because they're not singles. That pisses me off like you can't believe. My own father even thinks like this. That a band's best songs HAVE to be their hits/singles. These are the kinds of people who will go out and buy a greatest hits album and never even think about exploring the artist's full albums.

TonyD
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
That's because the "general public" are stupid and
even think about exploring the artist's full albums.

That's what capitalism breeds. I feel you, but I've stopped caring because I don't have to listen to music played in/around school or mainstream radio much anymore.

Is there any reason it shouldn't be?
Since you're the only one on this board with any kind of record deal maybe you can prove me wrong, but haven't you ever wondered why musicians portray music industry execs. the way they do? A lot goes into making a record not involved with the artist, but is it enough work to earn as big of a cut of the profits as they do?

Smashmouth and LFO were my guilty pleasures.

I'm not much of a fan, but Smashmouth is a legit band.

Div
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM
That's because the "general public" are stupid and only like the music they are force-fed by the music corporations. That's one big reason pop music pisses me off. Songs don't become hits because they are the best track on an album. They become hits because they are usually engineered from start-to-finish to just be as catchy and substance-less as possible, so that the general public can easily consume it. The only reason people only care about one song on an album is usually because it's the only one they are brainwashed into liking. If you listen to some albums by more single-based artists, there are usually several worthwhile tracks on the album that are not singles. The public doesn't show disinterest in them because they are bad, just because they're not singles. That pisses me off like you can't believe. My own father even thinks like this. That a band's best songs HAVE to be their hits/singles. These are the kinds of people who will go out and buy a greatest hits album and never even think about exploring the artist's full albums.

i dont really see this as anything to get upset over. i mean the "general public" is used so often as the enemy in peoples rants, but im sure we all fall into the term "general public" in some aspect of our lives. i bet that on some comic book message board there are people complaining about how stupid the "general public" is and that they only like the force fed comics like batman and superman. my point is, its all just entertainment and what other people do for entertainment isnt worth getting aggravated over. sure there are things that the "general public" should be held accountable for being stupid over, such as politics and literacy... but music? not that big of a deal.

DethMaiden
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, "the public" is a faceless entity that ultimately either doesn't exist or is all that exists.

ChildrenofSodom
07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Did someone here mention how most pop music is constructed in such a way that it is just naturally appealing to the casual person's ear? I mean, in that respect, if you arent a music nerd, then that is what you would listen to most of the time because you're only listening in the car or while jogging or whatever. Its catchy, it makes you feel good, thats it.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
i dont really see this as anything to get upset over. i mean the "general public" is used so often as the enemy in peoples rants, but im sure we all fall into the term "general public" in some aspect of our lives. i bet that on some comic book message board there are people complaining about how stupid the "general public" is and that they only like the force fed comics like batman and superman. my point is, its all just entertainment and what other people do for entertainment isnt worth getting aggravated over. sure there are things that the "general public" should be held accountable for being stupid over, such as politics and literacy... but music? not that big of a deal.

This.

I'll add that I don't think the music industry is "dying" - so why blame the public for a crime that doesn't exist? How often is it said the music industry is dead? How little evidence is there?

It might be changing, but it's not dying.

SomewhereInTime72
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
This.

I'll add that I don't think the music industry is "dying" - so why blame the public for a crime that doesn't exist? How often is it said the music industry is dead? How little evidence is there?

It might be changing, but it's not dying.

I'd say it's more like it's in a transitional phase. Like the storm before the calm.

SirLardsAlot
07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
:eyes: Didn't they start coming out in the '80s?

In the UK, yes. They didn't start in the US til like the late 90s.

DethMaiden
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
In the UK, yes. They didn't start in the US til like the late 90s.

1997 or so I think. I started buying them around Now 3 and stopped by Now 5.

SomewhereInTime72
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
WELL this shows how oriented I was around that time. :eyes:

Sinfulsot
07-02-2009, 07:00 AM
i like how this went from walkman vs iPod to pop music, the music industry, albums vs singles vs the tracks you want for $0.99.

of course, my post might just kill this thread. so my bad in advance.

es156
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
...but im sure we all fall into the term "general public" in some aspect of our lives.

NEVER!

:mad: