Indestructible
06-23-2009, 07:19 AM
the townball room in buffalo NY is a good venu so is the armory in Rochester

makethemsuffer12
06-23-2009, 07:20 AM
PNC Bank Arts Center and Nokia Theater.

mankvill
06-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Inside: Beaumont Club in Kansas City. They just revamped it so it has a huge indoor stage and lots of room to move around and they have some cool pinball machines in the back for when the deathcore bands are playing. ;)

Outside: Crossroads in Kansas City. Big ol' stage in front of a mulched floor with awesome, awesome pizza and drinks. It's surrounded on all sides by buildings and right behind an awesome restraurant that has a walk-up window. :D

Butcher of Birth
06-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Hard Rock Live - Orlando. Great A/C, Good Sound, Good bands, and it's at Universal... So I go to the Parks all day (annual pass ftw :D)

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Definately the Nokia Theatre (NYC) in terms of "small" venues. Great atmosphere, sound is awesome, they actually have a water fountain, and the people there are just chill. Cheap admission too and great quality everywhere! Roseland Ballroom (NYC) is a close second though.

In terms of bigger stadium venues, hands down PNC Bank Arts Center (NJ) beats any. The atmosphere is just epic, and it has a great mix of outdoor and indoor with the roof on the top. The concession stands aren't in the way, the merch stands are accessible and whatnot, and with every show that I've been to there the sound is kickass! It's a shame it's so far from me, but I'd go anyday! Had my best concert experience there, so that's always good :rocker:

makethemsuffer12
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
^ Exactly.

Spiral_Slave
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Hard Rock Live - Orlando. Great A/C, Good Sound, Good bands, and it's at Universal... So I go to the Parks all day (annual pass ftw :D)

What about the strict "no moshing or crowdsurfing" rule? :hecho:

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I hate the Nokia Theatre. :bouville:

Butcher of Birth
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM

I don't take part in either, and really, without it the shows are more enjoyable... Well for me atleast haha

Derelict
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I hate the Nokia Theatre. :bouville:

The sound there is good, but I feel like I'm walking into a mall and someone is trying to sell me something at a kiosk.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
The sound there is good, but I feel like I'm walking into a mall and someone is trying to sell me something at a kiosk.

Yeah, because of the sound, I'd definitely prefer it to something like Webster Hall (such shitty sound usually), but the environment there is pretty awful IMO. The only times where I didn't get slightly annoyed even once were at seated concerts there. :eyes:

makethemsuffer12
06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Ehh, I love Nokia. I can understand the whole "walking into a mall" thing, but I personally like the fact that the place is pretty well kept.

ravenheart
06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
There are a few I like.

Dingwalls, which is in Camden, in London. It's really small, I think the capacity is about 300, but it's tiered. You can get an awesome view wherever you stand, no matter how tall you are (I'm short, so this is a winner with me).

Not been to a huge number of gigs there, but have seen Candlemass, Union and Evergrey there on separate occasions. The sound is always excellent.

Koko, also in Camden, London. Used to be the Camden Palace Theatre, so inside it looks a lot nicer than most gig venues I've been to. Three levels, each with various heights of standing area, and for some reason lounge areas out the back. Again, always a great view. Seen Celtic Frost, Paul Weller and Hammerfall there. Again, always great sound.

Also like the Shepherd's Bush Empire in Shepherd's Bush and used to like the Astoria in central London before it got closed down. Hammersmith Apollo is also usually pretty good, with good sound.

Of the large venues, the O2 Arena in North Greenwich, London is actually really good. They've done a great job with that place after the disaster that was the Milennium Dome. Obviously sitting at the back of the top tier is a pretty useless view, particularly in the end-stage set-up, but I saw Metallica play there twice in a centre-stage configuration and it was superb. I did have lower tier seats for those. And when I saw AC/DC there I had lower tier seats practically on the stage.

SirLardsAlot
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
PNC Bank Arts Center
Agreed.

ADD
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Burnt Ramen in Richmond, I think they got shut down again though. It's just the best place to see any punk or metal show.

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM

How is this a bad thing? I'd consider coming to Florida just to experience it.

Anyway
When it comes to big venues, I haven't been to THAT many, but most indoor arenas and semi-outdoor ampitheaters are pretty much all the same, more or less. I haven't found one I like any more or less than another.

When it comes to smaller venues, I have found far more bad ones than good ones. Crocodile Rock Cafe in Allentown, PA is probably my absolute least favorite, which is unfortunate being that it's the closest venue to me that will book "real" national touring acts on a regular basis. I've seen a few shows there that were solid (WASP, Yngwie Malmsteen), but but most of them are terrible. The headliner's sets get cut due to ridiculous overbooking, and the sound is just atrocious.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Symphony X at Mulcahy's in Wantagh, NY last November, and The Silo in Reading, PA was also fantastic when I saw Firewind. Hell, the venue owner actually gave my friend and I a personal tour for showing up early. BB Kings in NYC can have an atmosphere which is fantastic for some shows, but overall the sound is pretty shitty and most of the venue staff are douches. I have no real problem with the Trocadero in Philly as a venue, but again, the staff sucks. I don't know why clubs hire completely douchey body-builder rejects who just try to intimidate the audience. Most people at the average show aren't out to cause trouble, and I think if the staff would just lighten up, there would be less drama in general. When I saw Edguy in 2007, a friend of mine was thrown out for trying to protect his girlfriend from a crowd-surfer. Shit like that is ridiculous. One thing I love about big venues like PNC or the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ is that the staff are usually actually nice people. Hell, when we saw Maiden in June '08 on the rail, we talked to the staff for a good hour before the show, really friendly guys.

powerslave_85
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Most rail security at big venues is contracted out, isn't it?

I really like The Rialto and The Rock here in Tucson. The Rialto is where most of the national touring acts (the ones that even bother coming here, that is) play. It was recently renovated, and it's really nice now. The Rock is a small club, and it usually doesn't have anyone good playing, but I've seen Rise Against, Against Me!, and Propagandhi there, and it's fantastic for seeing a good band in a small, intimate setting. Best of all, there's no security, so you can stand right up against the stage.

Wizzbang11
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Burnt Ramen in Richmond, I think they got shut down again though. It's just the best place to see any punk or metal show.

Yeah, I believe they did.
For that environment I also enjoy Gilman.

The Warfield was pretty cool, but in a fucking terrible part of town.
The Fillmore is ok I guess, don't like the Grand Ballroom at all.
The Knitting Factory is nice, but I haven't been to many shows in SoCal so I can't really compare it.

I like the Catalyst a lot.

For big shores Shoreline.

powerslave_85
06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I've always wanted to go to Gilman because of all the history. It's like the West Coast CBGBs.

Div
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
PNC bank center would be better if it had a pit area and not just seats.

hard rock cafe in times square was really nice.

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
PNC bank center would be better if it had a pit area and not just seats.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I chose to see Maiden at the Tweeter Center (well, now Susquehanna Bank Center) in Camden instead of going there. It obviously paid off considering we scored pit tickets and wound up front row.

DethMaiden
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm big on Cincinnati's Bogart's. Standard rock club, but the best-run in the state for sure.

And somewhat more locally, Dayton's Dayton Dirt Collective and the now defunct basement venue below Stillwater Photography in Troy are the greatest places to see post-rock/experimental/avant-garde/blahblahblah shows.

ADD
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I believe they did.
For that environment I also enjoy Gilman.

The Knitting Factory is nice, but I haven't been to many shows in SoCal so I can't really compare it.

I like the Catalyst a lot.

For big shores Shoreline.

The Warfield might as well be in Beverly Hills compared to where Burnt Ramen is :lol: Gilman is ok, I'm not the biggest fan but it does have great history and it was cool to play there.

As far as yuppie places like Slims, Fillmore, Grand Ballroom, etc the best one is by far the Great American. Never been to the Catalyst. Shoreline sucks as a venue but I have great memories of shows there, plus its better than Concord Pavilion forsure.

TonyD
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Wat?
It gets worse the closer you get to the Great American.
And what's not to like about the Grand Ballroom other than parking?

As for the "yuppie places", I really like the Fillmore. There is a DJ spinning vinyl at the bar upstairs, old bills everywhere and what's not to like about getting a free one-off poster for shows you pay between $20-35 for?
After that, I'll take the GAMH, Grand Ballroom, Warfield, and Slims, which is the only one that sucks.

Unless it's an all day two-stage deal, I would rather see a fest lineup at one of the arenas than the Shoreline or Concord.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
BB Kings in NYC can have an atmosphere which is fantastic for some shows, but overall the sound is pretty shitty and most of the venue staff are douches. I have no real problem with the Trocadero in Philly as a venue, but again, the staff sucks. I don't know why clubs hire completely douchey body-builder rejects who just try to intimidate the audience. Most people at the average show aren't out to cause trouble, and I think if the staff would just lighten up, there would be less drama in general. When I saw Edguy in 2007, a friend of mine was thrown out for trying to protect his girlfriend from a crowd-surfer. Shit like that is ridiculous. One thing I love about big venues like PNC or the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ is that the staff are usually actually nice people. Hell, when we saw Maiden in June '08 on the rail, we talked to the staff for a good hour before the show, really friendly guys.

I agree completely with this, though some smaller venues have had really nice security at times, in general it's all douchebags. All staff that I've interacted with at larger places (PNC, Nassau Coliseum, Madison Sq. Garden, etc.) have been genuinely nice and helpful and/or trying to sell me a nine dollar hot dog for me to eat during Maiden's set. Jones Beach would be an exception to the great sound/great staff standard for larger venues - it's mediocre in both respects IMO.

Ultimately, I do prefer smaller venues like B.B.Kings and Irving Plaza because of the general trade off of sound and staff quality for intimacy with the band. Usually because in some places the sound trade-off is nonexistent or minimal or only applying to openers, and the general douchey behavior of the staff is usually ignorable unless you specifically get picked on (low odds of that). Except in Nokia, I could go on a huge rant about how many really bad things I have experienced with the staff their (not really the venues fault since I think it's indirect hiring, but still :wtf: ).

This actually reminds me of being in Times Square at 5:45 AM the day before (or rather- of) an Edguy show - WOO CRAZY NYC NIGHTS WOOOO- and suddenly outta nowhere Dirk taps my shoulder and asks if I could point him in the direction of the Marriott. I was sad and embarrassed that I didn't know. :(

JuuKun
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I guess I'd have to say the Upstairs at the Palladium in Worcester, MA. The downstairs stage, which holds around 2000 people total, is usually plagued with sound problems. It's not always TERRIBLE (Had nothing to complain about at At the Gates last year), but there's almost always something wrong atleast during the openers. The upstairs, however, is a small intimate stage which everyone I've talked to agrees has better sound than the downstairs stage.

Lupo's in Providence, RI is another favorite. I've only seen two shows there (Opeth/Dark Tranquillity, and then Gojira opening for Lamb of God), but both times the sound was actually really good. Especially for Opeth and Dark Tranquillity - it's a WORLD of difference between Lupo's and The Palladium's downstairs stage as far as sound goes, but Lupo's doesn't often book metal bands.

Really don't have a favorite outdoor or arena venues, they're all more or less the same around here. Do love myself some Tweeter Center (now the Comcast Center) in Mansfield, MA, though, but that's only cause my mom's friend can walk me up to the lawn for free for some shows...:eyes:

rjturtle9
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM

i hate that at concerts. i don't really take part in either, but if i was in a band, i would want my crowd to go apeshit.

as for my venues, i really like the forum because it's small compared to other arenas. as for smaller places, i really liked the house of blues in san diego, and the wiltern never fails

Wizzbang11
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Wat?

As for the "yuppie places", I really like the Fillmore. There is a DJ spinning vinyl at the bar upstairs, old bills everywhere and what's not to like about getting a free one-off poster for shows you pay between $20-35 for?
After that, I'll take the GAMH, Grand Ballroom, Warfield, and Slims, which is the only one that sucks.

Unless it's an all day two-stage deal, I would rather see a fest lineup at one of the arenas than the Shoreline or Concord.

I know it gets worse, I'm just saying, it's shitty.
I like places to hang out if a band sucks, the ballroom doesn't really have that. Not a fan of the whole place. It aint the worst though.

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
This actually reminds me of being in Times Square at 5:45 AM the day before (or rather- of) an Edguy show - WOO CRAZY NYC NIGHTS WOOOO- and suddenly outta nowhere Dirk taps my shoulder and asks if I could point him in the direction of the Marriott. I was sad and embarrassed that I didn't know. :(

Which year was the Edguy show? Not that it matters, I have seen all 4 shows Edguy have played in NYC to date. I have a very strange allegiance to them as a live act. First show was in-fucking-credible, second was great, third was a bit disappointing, and the fourth they kicked everyone's ass and made Kamelot seem completely weak and uninspired. Met them all multiple times, great and really fun guys. Only band who has ever gotten me to buy the VIP tickets at BB Kings.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Which year was the Edguy show? Not that it matters, I have seen all 4 shows Edguy have played in NYC to date. I have a very strange allegiance to them as a live act. First show was in-fucking-credible, second was great, third was a bit disappointing, and the fourth they kicked everyone's ass and made Kamelot seem completely weak and uninspired. Met them all multiple times, great and really fun guys. Only band who has ever gotten me to buy the VIP tickets at BB Kings.

It was the year before last, I believe, the third one. Sad part was, I couldn't even go to the show because of school. :(

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 09:50 PM
It was the year before last, I believe, the third one. Sad part was, I couldn't even go to the show because of school. :(

Ah, damn. That would have been September 16th, 2007. They're due back in NYC in September. I'll be hitting that one.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah, damn. That would have been September 16th, 2007. They're due back in NYC in September. I'll be hitting that one.

Is it just me, or do power metal bands seem to flood to the northeast US in september/october every year? :eyes:

Div
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Is it just me, or do power metal bands seem to flood to the northeast US in september/october every year? :eyes:

yea. it would seem more appropriate for them to schedule their shows as close to april 1rst as possible.

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Yep. Do you know what else happens in September/October? ProgPower. Hence why they're always in the country.

This September will be insane though. Edguy, Primal Fear, Stratovarius, and Pagans Mind all in New York City within 8 days of eachother.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Yep. Do you know what else happens in September/October? ProgPower. Hence why they're always in the country.

This September will be insane though. Edguy, Primal Fear, Stratovarius, and Pagans Mind all in New York City within 8 days of eachother.

I feel about 200% dumber for not connecting those dots by now. :lol:

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I feel about 200% dumber for not connecting those dots by now. :lol:

Well in all seriousness it doesn't happen together that much, it is just a coincidence. Only the first time I saw Edguy were they here for ProgPower, and thankfully as a result, Tad Morose were their support, making for the best opener-headliner combo I've ever seen. I know Iced Earth, Iron Savior, Riverside, and Jon Oliva's Pain did ProgPower '08 as well as popping up here in the same time frame. Pagans Mind and Primal Fear are doing it this year. Sonata Arctica and Firewind did it last year, Stratovarius did it in 2005, but that's about all the ones I can think of from recent years since I've been heavily following it. It's never the bands that are actually ridiculous rarities, like Royal Hunt this year (GOD DAMN IT), Circus Maximus, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Pink Cream 69, Angra, Thunderstone, and Vision Divine.

I still stick to my claim that any year ProgPower pulls Nocturnal Rites, Vanishing Point, Lord, or Masterplan, I am there, regardless of the rest of the line-up. The sad part is that last year I would've said that about Royal Hunt. :(

TonyD
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I like places to hang out if a band sucks, the ballroom doesn't really have that. Not a fan of the whole place. It aint the worst though.

Was there a separate room open for food and merch when you have been there?

Looks like this should be two threads.

TonyD
06-25-2009, 09:34 PM

Speak of the devil

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_2d382dbca655468993e4c4bcf55768d2.jpg

ADD
06-27-2009, 03:04 AM
HAHA.

if shits hella gay that night ill go to that show cuz its been awhile since Fog Of War played and theyre ok. and by ok i mean they should be touring the US instead of weakass bands like......awwwww 98% of people who get their beer money from playing live music :(

mastodon421
06-27-2009, 06:01 AM
The Palladium In Worcester is pretty sick. It was an old movie theater the sound is good the merch booth is laid out perfect i love it.

The Comcast center is awesome for a big place. The Sound is great and the stage is huge the seating is great. The only bad part is the food is sooooo expensive.

JuuKun
06-27-2009, 06:26 AM
The Palladium In Worcester is pretty sick. It was an old movie theater the sound is good the merch booth is laid out perfect i love it.

Are we going to the same venue? The Palladium has a terrible sound system 80% of the time.

iggyb387
06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
I've always liked going to see show's at BB Kings. The venue is just small enough that no matter where you are in the GA, you're still getting a great view.

IrritatedTrout
07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Jaxx in Springfield, VA (just outside DC) is my favorite small venue of all time. The place looks like a complete dive, nestled between an Afghan kabob restaurant and an Afghan bazaar, but nearly everything about it is perfect. It's in a nice suburb so you avoid going into the city and having to pay for parking, the sound is always great, they (until recently when the economy started to go down hill fast) only book rock/metal acts, the stage is about three feet off the ground with no photo pit and only a small pipe rail seperating the fans from the band. Also, there is zero security. They have 1 bouncer who just sits around the whole time and they have a metal detector at the door that they don't even pay attention to (it goes off and they just tell you not to worry about it lol). Also, the band's buses are just around the corner from the front door so it's easy to meet them if you want.

As for big venues, the Merriweather Post Pavillion is awesome. It is in a ritzy suburb of Baltimore, parking is free (if I remember right, maybe they add it on to the tickets but it's very cheap if they do), security is cool, the stage is realysmall for an ampitheater (I didn't think mummy Eddie would fit last year but it did) plus their metal shows are almost always GA pit (fuck seated pits:mad:). Going to see Judas Priest and Heaven and Hell there next month!

300%_Density
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I've got a few. There was a place in Springfield, MO that was called The Rockwell. Unfortunately it got shut down in '04. For such a small place got alot of National Acts. (Superjoint Ritual, Ministry, SFU, Static-X, Candiria, Machine Head...To Name A Few) Plus my first and only stage dive was @ SJR show.

Currently my fav indoor venue is Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. It's actually registered as some kind of national landmark which is cool and there is a long history of really huge bands that have came up through that building. Always well run and always had good sound.

Outdoor venue would have to be Sandstone Ampitheater in KC. Love how they took out all the reserved seating in the front of the stage and now it costs less for the closer GA seats than reserved seating. Plus when there are crappy bands you can go lay and rest on the lawn!!!!

mastodon421
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Are we going to the same venue? The Palladium has a terrible sound system 80% of the time.

I dont think sound is that bad. The only time it was horrendus was at Rock and Shock last year when Bodom was on it was horrific but normally its alright.

Indestructible
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
The townball room in buffalo ny and the armory in rochester are good places for a metal show

DigMySpanky
05-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Well it's like this, see. The Worcester Palladium is the best venue for volume of metal shows. They have more metal shows than any place in the northeast. For this reason, it is my favorite place on earth. Also, anybody who saw Vital Remains, Nile, Immolation, or a host of others in the Upstairs knows that you cannot replicate this kind of experience anywhere. Period.

As far as overall best venues in terms of facility and sound:
Roseland Ballroom. Saw Primus there twice. The first time was in 04 when they played STSOC for set II. Second time was in 06 I believe. This place has great space and sound. The bar is in the back and gives seperation without missing out on sound. Legendary venue. Check the movie with Chris Walken for a laugh (and a nap).

Staying in NYC, pretty much all of the bowery clubs are great. They know how to run a venue. My favorite is probably terminal 5. Nobody in their right mind would agree with that, but I like the 3 floors and column shape of the place. I like the magnitude of clean bathrooms. The sound is decent.

Irving plaza rounds out my NYC selections. It sounds like they went to heaven, smacked jesus, kicked God's ass, choked out the Holy Spirit guy, and jacked the sound system. It's really good. Anybody who saw Meshuggah/Cynic there knows what I mean. It actually made me mad because the only real way to hear Meshuggah is through a massive system that can handle that low end.

On to Philly. The scumpit of the Northeast. Traffic, ugly women, rude assholes, and home of the Eagles. What could possibly be redeeming about this place? Well there's the Electric Factory. Big ass venue with big sound and awesome bar layout. I've seen several shows here, none of them metal. CKY had their first Halloween show here and that was the most packed I've ever seen any venue. The security here is almost nonexistent. Sweet.

Back up north we have the House of Blues in Boston. Holy shit is this place great. I mean if you can find a better place to see a show, let me know because I don't know any. Note: DO NOT see shows here when the Pink Socks are playing. You will be miserable.

Finally in Connecticut we have Toads Place. Legendary. Small and intimate. The sound here is great and the atmosphere is that of a NYC club. You're almost guaranteed to meet the band here.

For those of you who think the Palladium sucks, you'll be missing that shit when they sell it. Well, maybe not. But I sure will!!!!

Cynicist
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Twisters, in Richmond VA

It's gone now...must have had a capacity of less than 200. It's where I saw my first show, and saw a ton of great acts like Emperor, Iced Earth, Morbid Angel, etc.

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm big on Cincinnati's Bogart's. Standard rock club, but the best-run in the state for sure.

And somewhat more locally, Dayton's Dayton Dirt Collective and the now defunct basement venue below Stillwater Photography in Troy are the greatest places to see post-rock/experimental/avant-garde/blahblahblah shows.

I stand behind my opinion on Bogart's. I'd like to add Reggie's Rock Club in Chicago, even though I've only seen one show there thus far.

And the DDC has now gone the way of Stillwater. :( Fun while it lasted.

undergroundrage
05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
State Theater
St. Pete, FL

Why? It's slightly smaller than the House of Blues, but is an awesome set up and THEY LET YOU GET ON STAGE! I know some people don't care about this but for me, it adds so much energy to the smaller venue shows when you see people jump up there and head bang with the band for a minute. Or in the case of All Shall Perish, they let as many people that could fit on stage for the last song (wage slaves) which is one of my best concert memories. We had a mini pit going on up there :rocker:

I think pretty much all big venues are the same and enjoying them just depends on who you're going to see.

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Currently my fav indoor venue is Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. It's actually registered as some kind of national landmark which is cool and there is a long history of really huge bands that have came up through that building. Always well run and always had good sound.

I haven't been to the Cain's in a long ass time. They haven't booked any good shows at all lately. All the metal shows have been going to The Marquee, even Cannibal Corpse, which was the only show I've been to at The Marquee that was completely packed and had security.

I love The Marquee. The sound is great and I've been there so many times that I'm kind of friends with the dudes who work there. There's no rail unless Nile is playing, but that plastic shit doesn't really count, so I'm always right in front of the bands. You're also pretty much guaranteed to meet any band you want there. All you have to do is walk around to the side/back of the venue. Met Decrepit Birth and Vader inside though.

The Diamond Ballroom and the Coca Cola Bricktown Events Center in Oklahoma City are both great venues as well. The CCBEC has air conditioning that blows on the front few rows! YES.

Maiden33
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
THEY LET YOU GET ON STAGE! I know some people don't care about this but for me, it adds so much energy to the smaller venue shows when you see people jump up there and head bang with the band for a minute. Or in the case of All Shall Perish, they let as many people that could fit on stage for the last song (wage slaves) which is one of my best concert memories. We had a mini pit going on up there :rocker:

If I were a band this would make me want to never play there.

undergroundrage
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
If I were a band this would make me want to never play there.

Believe me, it's regulated. You can't be up there for long and you can't get too close.

But you know I never thought about something. If you're over 21, you can go in and out of the building all show and they don't check you when you come back in. It's almost like they are asking for a Dimebag situation. but I still love the place.

mankvill
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Inside: Beaumont Club in Kansas City. They just revamped it so it has a huge indoor stage and lots of room to move around and they have some cool pinball machines in the back for when the deathcore bands are playing. ;)

Outside: Crossroads in Kansas City. Big ol' stage in front of a mulched floor with awesome, awesome pizza and drinks. It's surrounded on all sides by buildings and right behind an awesome restraurant that has a walk-up window. :D

Update!

There's a place here called the recordBar and it's a kickass bar and grill first and a concert venue second. Seriously, I went to see Weedeater there and they were serving like gourmet shit that looked delicious. And it sounded great.

evildeadjedi
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a few since I have seen lots of shows through the years so I will go by cities in order of best to good

Cleveland, Ohio

The World Famous Agora Theater and Peabody's DownUnder - I have seen so many shows at those two places I probably own part of them by now. Agora has been voted many times the best rock club in the country and best place to see a show in Cleveland.

Honorable mention House of Blues and Grog Shop

These two places can't be more polar opposites and even though I have not seen a bunch of shows at House of Blues it's an extremely nice venue. Grog Shop is somewhat of a dive but they have booked some great bands in the past (including The Melvins in june :) )

Blossom Music Center is in Cuyahoga Falls but is the best outdoor venue in Ohio (even when Polaris/Germain was still doing shows).

Ones I have attended shows at but I despise -
Tower City Amphitheater and Nautica Stage (now under another name) -
Downtown Cleveland traffic during rush hour nuff said. The venues work well for festivals since they are spread out but that's about all.

Columbus, Ohio

LC Pavilion - Best of both worlds an indoor and outdoor venue plus a small venue called the Basements for more underground and local acts.

The Newport Music Hall - Typically, gets some of the best shows in Columbus and I still enjoy seeing shows there even if it can be really close quarters.

Al Rosa Villa - This place used to be one of my favorite venues but since the tragic event back in December 2004 the place is just not the same.

Circus/ Ravari Room/ Skully's/ Ruby Tuesday/ Bernies/ etc

They are more or less bars that have some good shows sometimes.

Note: I didn't mention the Schott or Nationwide the reason being I have only seen one show in the Schott that being ACDC. Overall, it was a fun show but I really don't like arenas for concerts.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Bogarts - Pretty much if a show is not booked for Cleveland then Bogarts gets it just about every time. I have a love/hate relationship with Bogarts I have seen some great shows there in the past (In Flames, Suffocation, High on Fire, COC, Arch Enemy, Slayer, The Misfits, Fu Manchu, GWAR, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, Mastodon, Cult of Luna, Clutch, etc). However, parking sucks and the venue really lacks in the sound department at times (never sit upstairs).

Sudsy Malones - Laundry mat/bar/live music right across the street from Bogarts has gotten some good underground acts like Scissorfight.

Riverbend Amphitheater - Not even sure if it still exists and I have only been there twice and it was an all right venue.

Others

Headliners in Toledo, OH - Very stuffy if the show is on the small stage rather poor sound and stage is about six inches off the ground. They do get some great shows like Clutch. :rocker:

Blue Cat in Bellfointaine, OH - Small place and has is ridiculous metal rail in front of stage that takes away floor space. However, it's not a bad place and I have seen some cool shows including Clutch, Gwar, and Fu Manchu.

Someplace in Youngstown - I don't remember the name it's in a seedy part of town but they occasionally get some decent shows.

Hara Arena in Dayton, OH - Not a bad place for an arena.

daimonos
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a few since I have seen lots of shows through the years so I will go by cities in order of best to good

Cleveland, Ohio

The World Famous Agora Theater and Peabody's DownUnder - I have seen so many shows at those two places I probably own part of them by now. Agora has been voted many times the best rock club in the country and best place to see a show in Cleveland.

Honorable mention House of Blues and Grog Shop

These two places can't be more polar opposites and even though I have not seen a bunch of shows at House of Blues it's an extremely nice venue. Grog Shop is somewhat of a dive but they have booked some great bands in the past (including The Melvins in june :) )

Blossom Music Center is in Cuyahoga Falls but is the best outdoor venue in Ohio (even when Polaris/Germain was still doing shows).

Ones I have attended shows at but I despise -
Tower City Amphitheater and Nautica Stage (now under another name) -
Downtown Cleveland traffic during rush hour nuff said. The venues work well for festivals since they are spread out but that's about all.

Columbus, Ohio

LC Pavilion - Best of both worlds an indoor and outdoor venue plus a small venue called the Basements for more underground and local acts.

The Newport Music Hall - Typically, gets some of the best shows in Columbus and I still enjoy seeing shows there even if it can be really close quarters.

Al Rosa Villa - This place used to be one of my favorite venues but since the tragic event back in December 2004 the place is just not the same.

Circus/ Ravari Room/ Skully's/ Ruby Tuesday/ Bernies/ etc

They are more or less bars that have some good shows sometimes.

Note: I didn't mention the Schott or Nationwide the reason being I have only seen one show in the Schott that being ACDC. Overall, it was a fun show but I really don't like arenas for concerts.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Bogarts - Pretty much if a show is not booked for Cleveland then Bogarts gets it just about every time. I have a love/hate relationship with Bogarts I have seen some great shows there in the past (In Flames, Suffocation, High on Fire, COC, Arch Enemy, Slayer, The Misfits, Fu Manchu, GWAR, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, Mastodon, Cult of Luna, Clutch, etc). However, parking sucks and the venue really lacks in the sound department at times (never sit upstairs).

Sudsy Malones - Laundry mat/bar/live music right across the street from Bogarts has gotten some good underground acts like Scissorfight.

Riverbend Amphitheater - Not even sure if it still exists and I have only been there twice and it was an all right venue.

Others

Headliners in Toledo, OH - Very stuffy if the show is on the small stage rather poor sound and stage is about six inches off the ground. They do get some great shows like Clutch. :rocker:

Blue Cat in Bellfointaine, OH - Small place and has is ridiculous metal rail in front of stage that takes away floor space. However, it's not a bad place and I have seen some cool shows including Clutch, Gwar, and Fu Manchu.

Someplace in Youngstown - I don't remember the name it's in a seedy part of town but they occasionally get some decent shows.

Hara Arena in Dayton, OH - Not a bad place for an arena.

If you can remember the name of the place let me know, because Youngstown is about the same distance as Pittsburgh is from me, so I would like to know what goes on there. :lol:

evildeadjedi
05-06-2010, 12:50 PM
If you can remember the name of the place let me know, because Youngstown is about the same distance as Pittsburgh is from me, so I would like to know what goes on there. :lol:

It's The Cellar in Struthers, OH (which is a like a burb of Youngstown but the opposite think a "skid row").

daimonos
05-06-2010, 02:02 PM
It's The Cellar in Struthers, OH (which is a like a burb of Youngstown but the opposite think a "skid row".

Cool. I'll check that out. Thanks

JuuKun
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
For those of you who think the Palladium sucks, you'll be missing that shit when they sell it. Well, maybe not. But I sure will!!!!

Oh, for sure I'll miss it if/when it gets sold. A lot of shows get booked there, and upstairs is awesome, all I'm saying is that the sound downstairs is awful quite often.

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Wat?

I love Slims, I don't understand why it gets such a bad name. Only downer is the poles on the floor, but I can get over that. It may be my favorite venue in the City, that and Thee Parkside.

I think the sound at Grand Ballroom totally sucks, but the security guys there are always really good guys.

evildeadjedi
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
It's The Cellar in Struthers, OH (which is a like a burb of Youngstown but the opposite think a "skid row").

No problem man! :)

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
No problem man! :)

I don't know how you can stand Blossom and especially the godawful Riverbend while saying you don't like arena shows. Outdoor sound is soooo shitty, and Riverbend is the worst offender I know of.

evildeadjedi
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't know how you can stand Blossom and especially the godawful Riverbend while saying you don't like arena shows. Outdoor sound is soooo shitty, and Riverbend is the worst offender I know of.

I feel Blossom is the best seated outdoor venue in Ohio overall (not strictly based on sound). Riverbend I have only been there twice and it was merely tolerable. I would say it's pretty common knowledge the sound at outdoor shows pale in comparison to indoor. No matter what I always prefer GA club shows to seated arena ones.

How many times have you been to Riverbend?

TonyD
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I love Slims, I don't understand why it gets such a bad name. Only downer is the poles on the floor, but I can get over that. It may be my favorite venue in the City, that and Thee Parkside.

I think the sound at Grand Ballroom totally sucks, but the security guys there are always really good guys.

Slims gets way too packed, the security guards are usually dicks and the sound is spotty.
The sound sucks at the Ballroom when you're up close but it's always been good when I watch from the middle or back.

ADD
05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Slims gets way too packed, the security guards are usually dicks and the sound is spotty.
The sound sucks at the Ballroom when you're up close but it's always been good when I watch from the middle or back.
I agree

Sanitarium78
05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
THE TOWN BALLROOM:

Located in downtown Buffalo,NY it is THE place for not only most metal acts but a lot of musical acts who can't fill the bigger venues. It's a small place so you get a nice intimate concert experience. I've heard a few different numbers but the capacity is somewhere in the 1,200-1,500 range. The place has been there awhile, but it wasn't until about four or five years ago when new management took over that it's become what it is now. The main promoter of the place is the guy who used to promote The Goo Goo Dolls around here before the made it big. So the guy does have some decent connections and gets a solid amount of metal shows to come here now. Metal bands were compeltely ignoring this area for a long time before this place opened. It's really breathed some new life into the live metal scene around here. Which had been nonexistent for awhile. They get bands who haven't been around for a bit and bands who otherwise would just skip us over to come here. The sound system is great and everything is really clear. When it first started the sound was shitty but over the last year or so they've really put some money into it to improve it. The setup is general admission, they have a floor and they also have two levels you can stand on to. With the way it's set up there isn't a bad spot at all to see a show when you're there. I'm deffinately glad a venue like this is in the area now. 95 percent of the shows I see now are at this venue.

DARIEN LAKE PAC:

Located at Darien Lake Amusement Park in Darien Center, NY. It's in the middle of nowhere between Buffalo and Rochester. It's a bit closer to Buffalo though. Even though the location is out where most civilization doesn't exist, it still gets people from a lot of the surrounding areas to come for shows. It's the standard amphitheater set up as far as I know but it's still a great venue. The sound is usually top notch. I don't recall ever having experienced sound problems with any band i've seen there. I've seen a good amount of shows here through the years and it's a great enviroment and has an awesome big show feel to it.

I've been to several other cool venues both here and in other cities but this is gonna go longer than it already is if I get into them all. So i'll stop now.

300%_Density
05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I haven't been to the Cain's in a long ass time. They haven't booked any good shows at all lately. All the metal shows have been going to The Marquee, even Cannibal Corpse, which was the only show I've been to at The Marquee that was completely packed and had security.

I love The Marquee. The sound is great and I've been there so many times that I'm kind of friends with the dudes who work there. There's no rail unless Nile is playing, but that plastic shit doesn't really count, so I'm always right in front of the bands. You're also pretty much guaranteed to meet any band you want there. All you have to do is walk around to the side/back of the venue. Met Decrepit Birth and Vader inside though.

The Diamond Ballroom and the Coca Cola Bricktown Events Center in Oklahoma City are both great venues as well. The CCBEC has air conditioning that blows on the front few rows! YES.

Def agree w/ The Marquee. I believe my original post was before I had ever been to a show there but now I love the Marquee alot more. Don't think I've even been to Cain's since GWAR in November. They do seem to be get alot better shows and it is pretty easy to meet bands. I will say Marquee is the new indoor favorite!!!!

Uncle_Meat1940
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Station 4 in St. Paul, Mn. I went to my first real metal show there and I can say with confidence it's the venue I'm at 7 times out of 10 on average. Soooo many memories. haha

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 06:15 PM
How many times have you been to Riverbend?

Once, and I will not be going back. Saw Rush there and they did their damnedest to ruin it for me. Still...I think the shows I've seen at arenas have been pretty fantastic sound-wise and stage show-wise. I think arenas are the way to go for big bands. Maiden at Air Canada Centre, Megadeth at Nationwide Arena, and Tool and Heaven and Hell (different shows, derp) at US Bank Arena were all awesome.

Dextrimental
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Ambassador in Dublin, great venue, its got a perfect set up, sound is awesome and is jus always a good time. Its closed down for a while, gonna re-open in 2011 hopefully.

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Yeah, it does get quite packed, but I'm not that bothered by it. I've never had a security guard be rude to me, and sound is always seems top notch when I'm there...

I usually am up front at shows, so the Ballroom really sucks for me. Maybe once I become a little lamer I'll enjoy it more ;)

evildeadjedi
05-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Once, and I will not be going back. Saw Rush there and they did their damnedest to ruin it for me. Still...I think the shows I've seen at arenas have been pretty fantastic sound-wise and stage show-wise. I think arenas are the way to go for big bands. Maiden at Air Canada Centre, Megadeth at Nationwide Arena, and Tool and Heaven and Hell (different shows, derp) at US Bank Arena were all awesome.

Hmm that's probably why two shows was enough for me at Riverbend. Where is US Bank Arena?(that's not the one in Cincy is it?) Do remember where you sat at Nationwide for Megadeath?
I have not seen many shows at arenas mostly because I had an aversion to seating at shows. However, now that I'm older and many bands I want to see only play seated indoor arenas or outdoor amphitheaters it's my only choice. I have to admit that even though I was up in the nose bleed section in the Schott for ACDC they put on bad ass show! I certainly see myself doing the same for Rush at Nationwide this August.

DethMaiden
05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Hmm that's probably why two shows was enough for me at Riverbend. Where is US Bank Arena?(that's not the one in Cincy is it?) Do remember where you sat at Nationwide for Megadeath?
I have not seen many shows at arenas mostly because I had an aversion to seating at shows. However, now that I'm older and many bands I want to see only play seated indoor arenas or outdoor amphitheaters it's my only choice. I have to admit that even though I was up in the nose bleed section in the Schott for ACDC they put on bad ass show! I certainly see myself doing the same for Rush at Nationwide this August.

Yeah, US Bank Arena is in Cincy. For Megadeth I was front and center on rail. :fist:

evildeadjedi
05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, US Bank Arena is in Cincy. For Megadeth I was front and center on rail. :fist:
Which level? Or do you actually mean the guard rail in front of the stage?

DethMaiden
05-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Which level? Or do you actually mean the guard rail in front of the stage?

Guard rail. :horns: Got there like 7 hours early. :lol: I used to think that was fun.

MPF
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Station 4, St. Paul, MN

Not so much for sound quality, but I've seen, met and hung out with so many of my favorite bands there:

Iced Earth
King's X
Dredg
Atheist
Sonata Arctica
Mutiny Within
Powerglove
Orange Sky
November's Doom
Destroy Destroy Destroy
RX Bandits
As Tall As Lions

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

evildeadjedi
05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Guard rail. :horns: Got there like 7 hours early. :lol: I used to think that was fun.

Wow that's dedication right there! :party:

DethMaiden
05-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow that's dedication right there! :party:

Yeah, I used to always get to gigs ridiculously early, and I did it for Maiden in Toronto, but nowadays I get there when I get there. Either I get rail by the time the headliner starts or I just deal with the best I can do, which is usually the first three rows or so. It's not worth the hassle of planning your entire day around getting to a show that early, but I used to think being the only one in line was awesome. :lol:

ravenheart
05-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I have several favourites in London.

Scala
Shepherd's Bush Empire
Dingwalls
Astoria (RIP)

Outside of London, erm...

Erm...

Haven't really been to any good ones.

The Forum in Copenhagen - shit
The Garage in Oslo - shit
Night Owl's in Cheltenham - shit
Leas Cliff Hall in Folkstone - shit
The Mill Hall in Rayleigh - should be decent, but never gets used for anything except local pantomimes
Cliffs Pavilion Theatre in Southend - ordinary for a theatre
Stadio Briantio in Monza (Milan) - shit

mastodon421
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh, for sure I'll miss it if/when it gets sold. A lot of shows get booked there, and upstairs is awesome, all I'm saying is that the sound downstairs is awful quite often.

They might sell The Palladium:(

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I used to always get to gigs ridiculously early, and I did it for Maiden in Toronto, but nowadays I get there when I get there. Either I get rail by the time the headliner starts or I just deal with the best I can do, which is usually the first three rows or so. It's not worth the hassle of planning your entire day around getting to a show that early, but I used to think being the only one in line was awesome. :lol:

I have never done that however, I have made my way to the rail plenty of times. Being 6'8 and 290 lbs people typically move out of my way. :D The last time I got the front was up at Headliners in Toledo for Clutch last year. Neil, Dan and Tim were pretty much on top of me since the stage was about 6 inches off the ground. Are you going to the Toledo show in June?

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I have never done that however, I have made my way to the rail plenty of times. Being 6'8 and 290 lbs people typically move out of my way. :D The last time I got the front was up at Headliners in Toledo for Clutch last year. Neil, Dan and Tim were pretty much on top of me since the stage was about 6 inches off the ground. Are you going to the Toledo show in June?

Yeah, I'm going to that show. You're 6'8" though!? I'll probably be able to spot you, good luck with me, I'm 5'10". :lol:

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'm going to that show. You're 6'8" though!? I'll probably be able to spot you, good luck with me, I'm 5'10". :lol:

Exactly, it's not very easy to blend into a crowd at all. :lol:

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Just don't stand in front of me, fucker! I have to see the stage, too! :flame: ;)

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Were you at the Amon Amarth show not too long ago? How about every other fucking show I've been to? Every time there's some guy who could be wearing stilts for all I know in my way.

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Just don't stand in front of me, fucker! I have to see the stage, too! :flame: ;)
I'll let stand on either side of me so your view is not obstructed.

Were you at the Amon Amarth show not too long ago? How about every other fucking show I've been to? Every time there's some guy who could be wearing stilts for all I know in my way.

I wish I have only seen them once. Maybe one of my clones :lol: