PDA

View Full Version : Important

EvilCheeseWedge
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I just bought the Flight 666 DVD and watched the concert.

I liked it, and, Harris editing not withstanding... I thought it was pretty bad ass, and one of the better Iron Maiden performances I've seen.

Also: great set list.

:horns:

That is all.

ChildrenofSodom
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I got my vinyl in today. Still havent seen the DVD though.

SomewhereInTime72
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I am truly amazed by this package.

edit: holy crap that's what she said :eyes:

mankvill
06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I should watch that again sometime...:light:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
I am truly amazed by this package.

edit: holy crap that's what she said :eyes:

:allan:

JRA
06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Steve doesn't direct the concert footage.

Spiral_Slave
06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Yep, it's a great DVD.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Steve doesn't direct the concert footage.

He seriously didn't edit that? (And I'm talking about the concert DVD, just to be clear.)

Well, if he didn't, it felt a lot like Rio/Death on the Road. Maybe not as bad... and I never minded those as much as some people, but still a bit spastic for my tastes.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah Steve definitely didn't direct/edit it. Re-watch Death on the Road and see how much more ridiculous the camera changes on that one are. :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah Steve definitely didn't direct/edit it. Re-watch Death on the Road and see how much more ridiculous the camera changes on that one are. :tongue:

Okay... maybe it isn't as bad. I've never watched the Death on the Road DVD (just some YouTubes of it) and I guess I remembered it as being pretty bad. I could never bring myself to get that DVD, because of how atrocious the band's performance was (I did buy the live CD.)

I have to say though, I think the Flight 666 performance is just... awesome. A huge improvement over Death on the Road. I really enjoyed the concert, the documentary is pretty cool so far (haven't finished that), and I'm actually glad I bought it.

I don't think I've really been this enthusiastic about a Maiden purchase since listening to Dance of Death on its release.

Maiden33
06-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I think Death on the Road is better than Rock In Rio. :eyes:

Maybe it's because I saw the Dance of Death tour and that DVD is a great recreation of that experience. I don't know. I think when the editing is bad on Death on the Road, it is far worse than Rock In Rio, but I think they generally did a better job with only making the really fast camera changes at more intense musical moments. Also, I think the general look and atmosphere of Death on the Road is just better. Very atmospheric lighting and whatnot.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I like the sets, and I like the Dance of Death album (a lot.) But I definitely prefer Rock in Rio. I just thought the performance was very... meh... on Death on the Road. I also thought that some of the Dance of Death songs didn't translate very well live (at least on that performance.)

Death on the Road sounded sloppy in a lot of places to me, contrasted with Flight 666, which has very tight playing imo.

JRA
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Somebody do me a favor: watch Maiden England and tell me how bad the Camera editing on that is. Because that was the first movie that Steve Harris directed.

powerslave_85
06-23-2009, 11:04 AM
The editing on Flight 666 is flawless, I don't see any similarities between that and the past couple of DVDs.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
The editing on Flight 666 is flawless, I don't see any similarities between that and the past couple of DVDs.

I think I know why...

I watched it on my computer (23" LCD) - and was probably sitting too close.

I'll watch it on my TV, and then return here and put my foot in my mouth.

As for Maiden England, I have that on VHS... Haven't watched it in awhile, but I don't remember the editing being... spastic. I think there's a song from it ("Infinite Dreams"?) On Vision of the Beast, I'll have to look... I don't know where my VHS of ME is right now.

ADD
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I have that VHS of Maiden England too and its definitely my favorite live Maiden concert video.

DethMaiden
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
JOURNEY BACK TO THE DARKSIDE

Attaboy, Jimmy. ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
JOURNEY BACK TO THE DARKSIDE

Attaboy, Jimmy. ;)
:lol:

Yeah, I'm back on the dark side...

rjturtle9
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Maiden England is a great show. jut the bad part is that the encores are not there