PDA

View Full Version : lala.com

DethMaiden
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't know if anyone is familiar with this site, but it is fucking EXCELLENT. Basically, it streams damn near any album you can think of (within reason - being signed is a plus, as is having a little bit of press, but last night I listened to Amesouers, Fen, Slough Feg, and Queensryche on there), and with the artist's permission. If you're like me and you hate interwebz bullshit like torrents and blogsearching for illegal downloads, lala is really nice.

You can play any album once for free, but then if you want to relisten as many times as you want, "web albums" are like 75 cents and you can stream it forever. And it's way faster than waiting for albums to download as mp3s. I recommend it.

overkiller
06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I was kinda wondering how you heard the Amesoeurs and Fen albums in light of your distaste for illegal downloads. :D

DethMaiden
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, haha. I certainly prefer streams to downloads.

SomewhereInTime72
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, haha. I certainly prefer streams to downloads.

I also dislike quality.

DethMaiden
06-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I also dislike quality.

It's actually not your typical stream quality. Since they're also downloadable, they're just basically mp3s posted to the web.

powerslave_85
06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I also dislike quality.
:lol:

I don't like streams because I do most of my listening on the go.

DethMaiden
06-18-2009, 08:32 PM

I don't like streams because I do most of my listening on the go.

Well, I can dig that, especially once you move and have to go fifty miles for running water.

ChildrenofSodom
06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
HA!

ravenheart
06-19-2009, 01:45 AM
I don't like mp3s because they suck... paying for them is such a ridiculous concept to me.

DethMaiden
06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't like mp3s because they suck... paying for them is such a ridiculous concept to me.

See, my iTunes is entirely populated by things I own the CDs of. It's jus a thing I have about music that I won't get into. But lala is kind of my cheat. Not paying, not stealing...just listening to see if I should buy. :D

Maiden33
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm one of like the 15 people left who thinks CDs still rule.

Granted, I download a shitload of music illegally via torrents, but it's not in place of buying CDs, it's in addition to it. When albums I want leak, I download and burn them. Then when they get released, I buy the albums I really liked. The ones I don't wind up costing my the price of a blank disc. I care about music way too much to only check out and have the music I can afford to buy, which these days is incredibly limited due to how broke I am.

Div
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
See, my iTunes is entirely populated by things I own the CDs of. It's jus a thing I have about music that I won't get into. But lala is kind of my cheat. Not paying, not stealing...just listening to see if I should buy. :D

Wait, so you bought the songs on iTunes that you own the CD's of, or you just ripped the CD's to your computer?

-----
Also, on topic, I have 1128 albums on my pc and I only own like 35 of them :D

powerslave_85
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm one of like the 15 people left who thinks CDs still rule.

Granted, I download a shitload of music illegally via torrents, but it's not in place of buying CDs, it's in addition to it. When albums I want leak, I download and burn them. Then when they get released, I buy the albums I really liked. The ones I don't wind up costing my the price of a blank disc. I care about music way too much to only check out and have the music I can afford to buy, which these days is incredibly limited due to how broke I am.
This is pretty much exactly how I am.

ravenheart
06-19-2009, 02:05 PM
This is pretty much exactly how I am.

Me too, except I don't keep the things I intend to buy. And usually, to be honest, the 30-second samples on Amazon or the songs on the band's MySpace are enough for me to make a decision.

DethMaiden
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Wait, so you bought the songs on iTunes that you own the CD's of, or you just ripped the CD's to your computer?

-----
Also, on topic, I have 1128 albums on my pc and I only own like 35 of them :D

Ripped the CDs.

I own every album in my computer, which is currently at 472 albums.

SirLardsAlot
06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
CD's 4 life!

mankvill
06-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I own CD's too. :D

ChildrenofSodom
06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I do all of the above. Buy CDs, buy records, buy tapes, buy MP3s, download, get files from friends, whatever.

If I like it enough, I'll buy the CD (which isn't often) and if I really like it, I will go to their shows and support them where it really matters.

overkiller
06-20-2009, 06:38 AM
None of you fuckers buys vinyl? :hmm:

ChildrenofSodom
06-20-2009, 06:42 AM
I just said I did....

overkiller
06-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Oh, er.. somehow I missed that.

JRA
06-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I will always buy CD's. As for vinyl, let me direct you to Bill Maher:

"New Rule: Stop saying that vinyl's sound better than CD's. I was alive in the 70's you dipshit hipsters. You wanna know how a vinyl sounds? Scratchy. And when your friend tries to throw the bong across the room and it hits the record player your Foghat album is ruined!"

SirLardsAlot
06-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh, er.. somehow I missed that.There's nowhere around here to buy them otherwise I would :(

Actually I've recently heard of a record shop in Franklin that has a very good selection. I wanna head up there.

Div
06-20-2009, 10:13 AM
There's nowhere around here to buy them otherwise I would :(

Actually I've recently heard of a record shop in Franklin that has a very good selection. I wanna head up there.

Fuuuuuck, you mean sussex county actually has stores in it besides walmart and i dont have to drive 50 miles somewhere?

EDIT: did some research, found it, gonna head over there today and see if theyve got anything good. http://www.myspace.com/eyeconikrecordsandapparel
-----------------------
also, i buy vinyls too but only when i have some extra cash to burn (not that often) and its a limited edition one. these guys are my favorite http://www.nightofthevinyldead.com/dueindex.htm

ravenheart
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
None of you fuckers buys vinyl? :hmm:

Absolutely hell no.

rjturtle9
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
i buy vinyls to collect them. never really play them

ADD
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM

"New Rule: Stop saying that vinyl's sound better than CD's. I was alive in the 70's you dipshit hipsters. You wanna know how a vinyl sounds? Scratchy. And when your friend tries to throw the bong across the room and it hits the record player your Foghat album is ruined!"

I prefer buying vinyls for a variety of reasons....

a.) there's usually no more than 10 songs on a record because that's all that will fit, and honestly 8-10 songs (40-50 minutes) of music is the perfect length for an album

b.) it forces you to listen to the whole album more often and it makes you appreciate the artists decision to release the songs in the sequence they are arranged on the album, which is the how the artist meant them to be heard

c.) you have to listen to it in one place/sitting/not distracted and on the go

d.) it's harder to roll a blunt on a CD cover/tiny plastic case

e.) it sounds warmer than a CD (notice "warmer" as in I like the little crackles and the not super compressed sound of those old 70's records, where if you turn up the volume it actually sounds louder than before unlike CDs today where its fucking loud all the time)

f.) artwork looks way better/you can put em up on your wall and have it look tight/bands who put their shit out on vinyl usually pay more attention to the artwork and overall presentation of their music

I still buy cassette tapes too but thats just because they're cheap and I'm a loser.

ravenheart
06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
a.) there's usually no more than 10 songs on a record because that's all that will fit, and honestly 8-10 songs (40-50 minutes) of music is the perfect length for an album

b.) it forces you to listen to the whole album more often and it makes you appreciate the artists decision to release the songs in the sequence they are arranged on the album, which is the how the artist meant them to be heard

c.) you have to listen to it in one place/sitting/not distracted and on the go

d.) it's harder to roll a blunt on a CD cover/tiny plastic case

These are all crap. 2/6 = fail.

ADD
06-20-2009, 05:11 PM
These are all crap. 2/6 = fail.

Well D was kind of a joke but its also true so that's not crap, and unless you have a portable record player you like to take on long walks then C is also a valid argument, so 4/6 = pass :party:

ravenheart
06-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Nope, still crap. I mean crap as in they're shit reasons, not that they aren't true. Although, C can be done with CDs too :p

ADD
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Nope, still crap. I mean crap as in they're shit reasons, not that they aren't true. Although, C can be done with CDs too :p

Yeah and C can also be done at your computer, with an iPod, with an MP3 player, etc. However vinyl is exclusive in that your gonna be in the same room everytime you listen to a record. Everything else has some way it can be utilized on the go. They might seem like shit reasons to you but they're good enough reasons for me that I haven't bought a CD in longer than I can remember but purchase vinyl pretty regularly.

DethMaiden
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't know if this particular debate is worth having because it's really just to each his own and whatever reasons you give yourself are enough to justify what you do since you, the individual, are the only one you have to convince. I use lala, MySpace streams, YouTube clips with full songs, or on rare occasions 30 second clips to decide if I am going to buy an album so I can put it in iTunes. If I do, that's when I start giving third and fourth and fifth listens to an album and decide how to rate it super-accurately. But I typically only buy albums where I get a sense that I'm going to like them more after numerous listens, and I'm getting pretty good at sensing that. Other times, I buy an album because it is by a certain band. Sometimes it bites me in the ass (example: I do not buy Queensryche albums without hearing them first anymore) but typically bands I love are consistent enough that I can buy their shit blindly (Clutch, for example).

ADD
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't know if this particular debate is worth having because it's really just to each his own and whatever reasons you give yourself are enough to justify what you do since you, the individual, are the only one you have to convince.

Well you could say the same thing for people debating music tastes :tongue: Or politics. Or...

DethMaiden
06-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Well you could say the same thing for people debating music tastes :tongue: Or politics. Or...

Haha, true, but I think this is pretty much something that is completely individualized. Through discussing music tastes, I find new things. Through discussing politics, my eyes have occasionally been opened. But...format of music-listening? That comes down to the person 100% I think. :lol:

ADD
06-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Haha, true, but I think this is pretty much something that is completely individualized. Through discussing music tastes, I find new things. Through discussing politics, my eyes have occasionally been opened. But...format of music-listening? That comes down to the person 100% I think. :lol:
Haha aite fasho.

overkiller
06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Vinyl is an entirely different experience from CDs/mp3s/whatever. Better? I don't know, perhaps. But entirely different, and desirable for that reason. I've said this before.

ChildrenofSodom
06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Vinyl is an entirely different experience from CDs/mp3s/whatever. Better? I don't know, perhaps. But entirely different, and desirable for that reason. I've said this before.

I agree. I prefer listening to post-rock/post-metal/experimental/noise on vinyl over any other form. Richer sound....the bands spent alot of time layering the music and making it 'loud', vinyl really captures that. I dont know why or how, but thats just the way it is.

es156
06-20-2009, 08:53 PM

rjturtle9
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM

yup, cd covers work fine with this too :stoned: