PDA

View Full Version : Coalesce - Ox (2009)

Natrlhi
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Lately, there have been a lot of reunions and resurrections, as well as re-awakenings of bands that were dormant for years but perhaps never quite gone. All this was somewhat interesting at first, but lately the fad has begun to become a bit boring. Rather than go on citing the numerous recent examples of this, I would prefer to focus directly on one case where the “fad” has been anything but boring – Coalesce.

Their latest release – the first in ten years – sees this pioneering band blazing all sorts of new territory, and letting fans know in no uncertain terms that, rather than losing their edge over the last decade, they have just been getting smarter and more creative than ever before.

This album is quite simply their best offering yet. Not only is the production absolutely stellar, but Coalesce has honed their signature sound (changing tempos, harsh vocals, odd time signatures, etc.) into something which is quite compelling. Not to mention, they’ve lost absolutely none of their intensity whatsoever – this album is as much of an adrenaline ride as any other they have released.

Plus, there are many interesting twists here as well. Some songs have interesting intros, or lyrics that are almost sung instead of screamed, or even momentary wanderings into other genres such as black metal, sludge and even blues (witness “Wild Ox Moan”)! Coalesce has managed to do something here which is probably very challenging for them, but so rewarding for us - create an album which experiemnts on many levels, but which also retains all of what made their previous material great in the first place - all in one awesome package.

In short, this album is a very welcome return for an extremely talented band which obviously has many more new tricks to dazzle us with, even after an unfortunate decade-long silence.

Highlights:
Wild Ox Moan
The Purveyor of Novelty and Nonsense
In My Wake, For My Own
The Plot Against My Love

Nat :horns:

DethMaiden
06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Listening now. First experience with Coalesce, but I know that people with similar taste in music as myself (you included, Nat) tend to worship at their altar. We shall see. So far, I'm not too in love with the hardcore vocals, but musically this is pretty fucking interesting.

Natrlhi
06-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Listening now. First experience with Coalesce, but I know that people with similar taste in music as myself (you included, Nat) tend to worship at their altar. We shall see. So far, I'm not too in love with the hardcore vocals, but musically this is pretty fucking interesting.

Yeah, Coalesce certainly isn't for everybody. I definitely think this is their best work, though. I've been a fan of theirs since the beginning, but this album is their best yet (IMHO).

Natrlhi
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Addendum to the original post:

The companion EP to this phenomenal album was just released a couple of weeks ago. It is aptly named "Ox EP", and is streaming in its entirety here: http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13534

It is more great stuff, with off-the-charts production value and creative use of alternate instrumentation just like the full-length released earlier this year. If you're looking for something different, check this out. It is really some good stuff if you're into off-the-wall extreme music.

Enjoy,
The Nat :horns:

ADD
11-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Addendum to the original post:

The companion EP to this phenomenal album was just released a couple of weeks ago. It is aptly named "Ox EP", and is streaming in its entirety here: http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13534

It is more great stuff, with off-the-charts production value and creative use of alternate instrumentation just like the full-length released earlier this year. If you're looking for something different, check this out. It is really some good stuff if you're into off-the-wall extreme music.

Enjoy,
The Nat :horns:

Alright, this is my first experience with Coalesce, vocals are kinda OTT in a not good way but the music is cool :horns: Lots of stuff goin on. 'Absent in Death' is where I'm at :cool:

DethMaiden
11-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah, really didn't like this album in the same way I really don't like Converge. Too abrasive and too much emphasis on the horrible vocals. Nothing to sink my teeth into.

Natrlhi
11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, really didn't like this album in the same way I really don't like Converge. Too abrasive and too much emphasis on the horrible vocals. Nothing to sink my teeth into.

Fair enough. The thing that really makes this one for me is how much of an improvement it is over their past catalog of material. Coalesce is definitely an acquired taste, but if you got that taste from their 1990's albums, this is just a stellar surge ahead for these guys. I'm not surprised it ranked so high on Decibel's list - it might be up there pretty high on mine, too - but I expect a lot of folks will just want to pass on this. To each his own. :fist: