View Full Version : Tony Martin to tour US for 'Headless Cross' anniversary

ravenheart
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Tony Martin - vocals
Rolf Munkees - guitar
Jamie Mallender - bass
Danny Needham - drums
Geoff Nicholls - keyboards

"Yesterday they confirmed that all visa applications were under way and that means we're definitely on our way.

Everything that's out there up till today has been speculation, but if you wanna start talkin' about it you can say you heard it for real from me.

The band is gonna have an advertising tag of Headless Cross. Its really the TONY MARTIN BAND, and that's what we entered the states as. But the promoter has got itchy fingers. I think and decided its better to use the album title. I'm not entirely happy with it just because...., but I decided to run with it .

So the idea is to commemorate 20 years since Headless Cross and I can reveal that some of the songs have never been done live before like 'Black Moon'; it's a really complex track but we're gonna bring it to the stage and show it off. Also we've just left behind the anniversary of Eternal Idol, so there's gonna be some more off that album too like 'Born To Lose'.

Looking forward to getting out there and seeing what response we get.

I have to say its been a hard slog with negotiations and getting visas and stuff so we come at very short notice and hope to be with you guys in just under three weeks from now!!!

We aren't able to bring with us much in the way of visual stuff just because there is so little time to get it all together so, its just the songs. Me and well I hope you guys!!! Dates are becoming published and that was a little premature cause some of them didn't have confirmation but from now there will be and so if you find something near you its almost certain to be real.

We're out there until the end of August."

ravenheart
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Man I hope we get a show here too.

Maiden33
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Just saw this myself. Incredible news. I am so there. I LOVE Tony Martin-Sabbath.

andrew_metalhead
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh man I was just about to post this :lol:

Fuck yeah I'm there whenever the LA area show is!! :rocker: :rocker:

andrew_metalhead
06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Just saw this myself. Incredible news. I am so there. I LOVE Tony Martin-Sabbath.

I see you're going to see Over the Rainbow .. any idea if they'll be adding more dates?? They're doing just 6 dates for the whole of US! No California :(

JuuKun
06-16-2009, 04:28 PM

This is pretty much how I feel.

Back when I was first getting into Metal, a few of the first purchases I made were a few Black Sabbath CDs. One of these was a compilation, which happened to be strictly Martin-era Sabbath, so Headless Cross actually ended up being one of the first Sabbath songs I ever heard.

This is really awesome news, I hope there's a date near me. I'm totally there.

ravenheart
06-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Agreed all round. 'Headless Cross' is my favourite Sabbath album, by any lineup

Maiden33
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
:fist:

I'm just curious as to when they're going to start announcing dates. If the tour is really supposed to happen in July/August, they should really get going.

ravenheart
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM
What they should really be doing is touring England first. English band, English singer, and you lot didn't give a fuck about that album when it came out anyway ;)

andrew_metalhead
06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
What they should really be doing is touring England first. English band, English singer, and you lot didn't give a fuck about that album when it came out anyway ;)
:lol: :lol:

Maiden33
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM

I'm sorry, I was being conceived around that time. :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Tony Martin didn't sound good singing those songs live in 1989, I can't imagine it's going to be much better twenty years later. Still, I'd consider seeing this if it was somewhere close.

Maiden33
06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Tony Martin didn't sound good singing those songs live in 1989, I can't imagine it's going to be much better twenty years later. Still, I'd consider seeing this if it was somewhere close.

I've seen live footage, I don't recall anything wrong with the vocals.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I've seen live footage, I don't recall anything wrong with the vocals.

Check again...

Or check the audio from the last two Sabbath tours with Martin ;)

ravenheart
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM

He sounded fine singing those songs. It was the Ozzy and Dio songs that didn't suit him very well.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
He sounded fine singing those songs. It was the Ozzy and Dio songs that didn't suit him very well.

I think he sounded okay... Although "Headless Cross" on Cross Purposes Live is :hecho: I get it, he was "sick" - although the rest of the songs in that performance aren't quite that bad.

I think the problem with the Ozzy/Dio stuff is that his voice just lacks... character. Yes, he can hit the notes, and do all the technical stuff, but he just sounds... generic... singing that stuff. Frankly, like what'd you expect from a cover band. Although I do appreciate that he would tackle material such as "Symptom of the Universe" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." And there were other problems with the later Sabbath line-ups. (Like those fucking keyboards... Christ, why does Geoff think "Children of the Grave" needs keyboards!?)

I used to really dig Tony Martin, but over the years... eh. Pretty much Cross Purposes is the only album with his vocals that I really enjoy. Although his latest solo album has a few decent tracks...

But man, reading that interview where he talks about how he used "power words" that people don't normally use in lyrics for the lyrics on Headless Cross... I don't even know... :hecho:

andrew_metalhead
07-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Dates:

Jul 10 2009 ARCATA THEATRE Arcata, California
Jul 11 2009 ROUGE VALLEY MX TRACK Medford, Oregon
Jul 17 2009 TBA Riverside, California
Jul 18 2009 VENUE OF SCOTTSDALE Scottsdale, Arizona
Jul 23 2009 TBA Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 25 2009 ROCK THEATRE Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Jul 31 2009 THE WEDGE Austintown, Ohio
Aug 1 2009 PURPLE MOON Flint, Michigan
Aug 4 2009 BLONDIEíS Detroit, Michigan
Aug 5 2009 PHOENIX CONCERT CENTER Toronto, Ontario
Aug 6 2009 TBA North Bay, Ontario
Aug 7 2009 TBA Ottowa, Ontario
Aug 7 2009 THE BRONSON CENTRE Ottowa, Ontario
Aug 8 2009 THEATRE TELUS Montreal, Quebec
Aug 9 2009 TBA Quebec, Quebec
Aug 12 2009 TBA Buffalo, New York
Aug 13 2009 PEPSI-COLA ROADHOUSE Burgettstown, Pennsylvania
Aug 14 2009 TBA Bristol, Tennessee
Aug 15 2009 COFFEE CREEK MUSIC COMPLEX Marlow, Oklahoma
Aug 20 2009 WILD BILLíS Duluth, Georgia
Aug 24 2009 TBA Tampa, Florida
Aug 25 2009 TBA Jacksonville, Florida
Aug 29 2009 SOUTH FLORIDA CONFERENCE, CONVENTION & PERFORMING ARTS CENTER Margate, Florida

ChildrenofSodom
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Where the fuck is Austintown, Ohio? East of Cleveland?

Indestructible
07-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Dates:
Aug 12 2009 TBA Buffalo, New York

Thats where i live and proboly very little people will show up.barley anyone here knows who tony martin is.

JuuKun
07-01-2009, 08:08 AM
So, after doing the math, the closest dates are either one of the Quebec ones, or Buffalo.

Wish I could do it, but I won't take the drive myself and don't have anyone to do it with because none of the people I go to shows with would think a 6 or 7 hour drive to see Tony Martin is worth it.

Spiral_Slave
07-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I'll be hitting up the TBA Tampa date. :party:

es156
07-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Hopefully there are more dates to be released. Surely they will play Chicago, at least.

Maiden33
07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
WTF. Nothing in New Jersey, eastern PA, or New York City/long Island area? What the fuck. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

andrew_metalhead
07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
WTF. Nothing in New Jersey, eastern PA, or New York City/long Island area? What the fuck. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Yeah. Would have liked a show closer to the LA area too :/ Now I've to ask around for a ride from LA to Riverside.

Maiden33
07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll be hitting up the TBA Tampa date. :party:

Seriously, I'm thinking about coming down there for that. The closest show to here is almost SIX hours away. Due to the lack of interest among friends and the fact that I'd have to get a hotel and spend a fuckload on gas, I'm pretty much better off flying, provided I could stay with you.

TonyD
07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like some genius routed this tour. What makes anyone think there are fans of Tony Martin in Arcata?

IrritatedTrout
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Two dates in Oklahoma but nothing in the VA/MD/DC area. Not that I could go but no LA or NYC? What the hell? Almost looks like the person who routed this wants this tour to be a bust.

Derelict
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
This is a very strangely routed tour...I haven't heard of alot of these cities.

es156
07-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Two dates in Oklahoma but nothing in the VA/MD/DC area. Not that I could go but no LA or NYC? What the hell? Almost looks like the person who routed this wants this tour to be a bust.

No LA, NYC or Chicago. There have to be more dates pending. Seriously.

Maiden33
07-03-2009, 09:02 AM
No LA, NYC or Chicago. There have to be more dates pending. Seriously.

Unfortunately I'm doubting it. The schedule is fairly tightly packed already. Not a lot of room to logically stick in more dates.
This is just terrible all around. They're skipping the ENTIRE North-eastern area of the country. They're playing twice as many shows as I expected, but in tons of cities I never would've expected, and skipping entire areas I figured were absolutely certain.
The thing that most upsets me is that this tour is going to fail. There's no way around it now. I'm honestly scared to find out how many people will be at a number of these shows. And then this will be it. The tour will fail and he/they will never come back. This was an incredible idea but it will fail miserably.

gilpdawg
07-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Where the fuck is Austintown, Ohio? East of Cleveland?
Youngstown area.

andrew_metalhead
07-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Dates for the first 3 shows have been changed :

Jul 11 2009 ARCATA THEATRE Arcata, California
Jul 12 2009 ROUGE VALLEY MX TRACK Medford, Oregon
Jul 13 2009 Cine Space Hollywood, California

Sweet. I'll go to the Hollywood show. Now I don't need to beg for a ride to Riverside :D

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Man whoever booked these dates/organized the tour is a moron.

andrew_metalhead
07-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Man whoever booked these dates/organized the tour is a moron.

For sure. But I'll be happy as long as the shows are not cancelled! :D

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-05-2009, 07:54 AM
For sure. But I'll be happy as long as the shows are not cancelled! :D

I'll be happy if he comes around somewhere near the Tri-State :(

IrritatedTrout
07-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes! Tony Martin is coming to VA! Check the tour myspace, a few of the dates have been changed around. It's starting to look like a real tour now!

Maiden33
07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Playing Jaxx and it's 21+. You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Is Tony Martin TRYING to emotionally punch me in the face?

Does anyone know of any loopholes I might be able to find to get into that show?

IrritatedTrout
07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Note: Parents, you are allowed to bring your under 21 children to 21+ shows as long as you are responsible for them. Kids, if you would like to see a 21 and over show, you must have a parent with you.

I'm only 19 but I'm going. Something tells me they don't enforce 21+ at all because they don't enforce any rules at Jaxx. Hell, I set off the metal detector everytime I go and none of the employees ever say a word to me or anyone else. If all else fails I'll ask some older guy in line to say he's my dad. lol

Maiden33
07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I've heard about them not enforcing anything and being incredibly relaxed there before. I've never been there, but am strongly considering it for this show. I'm 18. I have no problem driving nearly 4 hours, it's just that driving 4 hours and then taking the risk of not being able to get in is kind of intimidating.

andrew_metalhead
07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Tour cancelled :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This from Tony Martin's myspace bulletin

"My dear Friends... I just found out that the promoter has cancelled the US tour planned for July /August.

We are so dissapointed.

Just to let you know we will make a statement on it as soon as we can but for now This is just to let you know the bad news.

All US shows are cancelled.

TM"

Indestructible
07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
i want him to come to buffalo just to see how many people actually show up

Maiden33
07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I actually think this is good news, and the right call. This tour was so horribly planned that I think canceling it is better than having it fail as miserably as it would have. This was a great idea, but they need to book the tour 3-6 months in advance, only play 15 or so of the RIGHT cities, and promote the living shit out of it.

TonyD
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Wow.

IrritatedTrout
07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
:snivel:

Damn.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Fail.

Derelict
07-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I've heard about them not enforcing anything and being incredibly relaxed there before. I've never been there, but am strongly considering it for this show. I'm 18. I have no problem driving nearly 4 hours, it's just that driving 4 hours and then taking the risk of not being able to get in is kind of intimidating.

I know its moot now, but I've always had my ID checked there.