PDA

View Full Version : Isis -- Cleveland, OH -- June 9th, 2009

petrovar
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Source: Me
Venue: Grog Shop

Unbelievable tight set from these guys. Keelhaul and Pelican were outstanding as well.

Hall of the Dead
20 Minutes/40 Years
Dulcinea
Threshhold of Transformation
Ghost Key
In Fiction
Hand of the Host
Carry
--------
Celestial (The Tower)

Natrlhi
06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Again, nicely done (see also my reply to your post on the Chimaira show the following night).

You are right, the set was extremely tight. Also, I noticed that they played around a little bit with their material - for example, some songs were slower or faster than usual, or the way they almost did like a bossa nova thing on the drums for "In Fiction", or the extra emphasis on keybords for "Ghost Key". They actually made some of their classics sound BETTER. Nice. :blaze:

I would add a few more things here, though. First off, Pelican's set was:

Bliss In Concrete
Embedding the Moss
Ephemeral
Australasia
The Woods (fifteen minutes plus!) :rocker:

Pelican didn't play "Far from Fields" or "Geometry of Murder", which disappointed me a little, but I think it was because of time. The entire show started over an hour late, and my guess is that Pelican took the hit for it. Still, they played for almost an hour, and they absolutely crushed. Especially that epic version of "The Woods" - my neck still hurts from banging my head so hard! :rocker:

The other thing I wanted to mention was that Isis didn't play the second part of Celestial (the part called "Signal Fills the Void") - like they have been doing for the rest of this tour - for a specific reason. The crowd had actually started moshing a great deal during "Hand of the Host". By the time they played "Carry", things were really in high gear. It was somewhat unexpected to see this much moshing at a post-metal show, but not entirely surprising I guess.

After the band had left the stage and the crowd wooed them back for an encore, they launched full-steam into Celestial (The Tower), which absolutely killed. The crowd went nuts (and understandably so), but then things got a bit out of hand and several members of the crowd got shoved up onto the stage (which is only a few feet high at the Grog Shop - a big problem at a show where a huge crowd surge takes place all at once), and some of the band's pedals got momentarily screwed up. I think they reacted pretty quickly and got things fixed up, but then it happened again a few seconds later and a few of the band members just walked off the stage in disgust. Aaron Turner just said something like, "and...that's the end."

It was really unfortunate that that had to happen at an otherwise excellent show. It was somewhat unavoidable, so I'm not really blaming anybody, but it was unfortunate. I hope the band wasn't too pissed.

Other than the shortened set from Pelican and the Encorus Interruptus by Isis, the night was excellent. One of the best shows I have seen in a while. Oh, and Keelhaul were really good, too. They were loud as fuck (as always). Always good to see those guys. They played several songs from their new album, which is due out in July. The closer was especially good - I think it may have been something like "Cruel Shoes", but then I don't know their material all that well.

Nat :horns:

petrovar
06-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I was thinking the same thing with Isis regarding the moshing. I told my buddies that it was my first Isis show and my only live experience of them was on the Clearing the Eye DVD and the crowds were pretty mellow and just rocking out on their own, like I was doing. Then these two drunks started throwing themselves around excessively. (Normally there is no excessive moshing really, but these two assholes were pissing people off).

Ya, it also seemed like Celestial ended abruptly. It was an awesome show overall and I hope they keep coming back

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
d left the stage and the crowd wooed them back for an encore, they launched full-steam into Celestial (The Tower), which absolutely killed. The crowd went nuts (and understandably so), but then things got a bit out of hand and several members of the crowd got shoved up onto the stage (which is only a few feet high at the Grog Shop - a big problem at a show where a huge crowd surge takes place all at once), and some of the band's pedals got momemntarily screwed up. I think they reacted pretty quickly and got things fixed up, but then it happened again a few seconds later and a few of the band members just walked off the stage in disgust. Aaron Turner just said something like, "and...that's the end."

It was really unfortunate that that had to happen at an otherwise excellent show. It was somewhat unavoidable, so I'm not really blaming anybody, but it was unfortunate. I hope the band wasn't too pissed.

Bands pissed at their fans = :lame: