PDA

View Full Version : Slayer -- Hollywood, CA -- August 12th, 1988

ijwthstd
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Okay I know this show happened before a lot of people here were even born but just came across this and thought I would post it.

I vaguely remember hearing of some ticketless fans rioting, can anyone share any more info on that?

SLAYER
HOLLYWOOD,CA:HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM
8/12/88

01. South Of Heaven
02. Raining Blood
03. Silent Scream
04. At Dawn They Sleep
05. Read Between The Lies
06. Fight Til Death
07. Mandatory Suicide
08. Kill Again
09. Behind The Crooked Cross
10. Postmortem
11. Reborn
12. Die By The Sword
13. Altar Of Sacrifice
14. Jesus Saves
15. Chemical Warfare
16. Ghosts Of War
-----
17. Spill The Blood
18. Live Undead
19. Angel Of Death

Spiral_Slave
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow that would've been a sick show.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
God damned I'm jealous. That is one hell of a fucking set.

maidenpriest
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
wow... i wish i couldve seen that

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
ok kiddies here was the lowdown on that show and riot before during and after the gig

slayer danzig and masi all played and goldenvoice the promoter oversold it bigtime
me a buddy and 2 hot and I mean hot chicks dropped a hit of acid and headed over to the show when we got there the line was long as hell but the chicks helped us get through a lot of it when we got inside it was packed and masi was onstage ( sort of an Yngwie clone) we thought how can all those people fit inside well by the time danzig hit he stage the place was crammed and the fire marshall closed the doors and the pit rocked and many many fights went down when slayer hit the stage it was so hott inside and we were tripping good slyer killed that night an we left on the last song or so went out on to sunset blvd on a friday night and there were no cars at all and helicopters in the sky with search lights we thought we were too high but then a large group of riot cops started heading down towards the venue from vine st and we got the hell out of there got home and my buddys dad was yelling how kids today cant do anything right ha ha classic metal night for sure

TheAncientMariner666
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I love how people use every opportunity they get to seem "cool."

At least we have proof of what acid does to communication skills. And intelligence, for that matter.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
When I saw them headline in Dallas in November of 88' (with Motorhead and Overkill), they cut their set short because some douchebag threw a metal rod of some sort on stage that either hit or almost hit Tom Araya. He said something to the effect of "if one of you guys gets hurt, it's our responsibility, but if we get hurt on stage, no one is held responsible" and "if you saw who threw the object at us, beat the shit out of them." They played Spill the blood and then left. No encores.

ijwthstd
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Goldenvoice oversell a show? The hell you say.

Thanks for the info!

Derelict
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
ok kiddies here was the lowdown on that show and riot before during and after the gig

slayer danzig and masi all played and goldenvoice the promoter oversold it bigtime
me a buddy and 2 hot and I mean hot chicks dropped a hit of acid and headed over to the show when we got there the line was long as hell but the chicks helped us get through a lot of it when we got inside it was packed and masi was onstage ( sort of an Yngwie clone) we thought how can all those people fit inside well by the time danzig hit he stage the place was crammed and the fire marshall closed the doors and the pit rocked and many many fights went down when slayer hit the stage it was so hott inside and we were tripping good slyer killed that night an we left on the last song or so went out on to sunset blvd on a friday night and there were no cars at all and helicopters in the sky with search lights we thought we were too high but then a large group of riot cops started heading down towards the venue from vine st and we got the hell out of there got home and my buddys dad was yelling how kids today cant do anything right ha ha classic metal night for sure

did you drop another tab of acid before typing this?

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
of course not I only do that on weekends ( the time you stay home alone dreaming u had a life)

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
that was a cool story now I think about it what ones you got ???

the guy asked what happened so I told him and you bothered to read it nothing to do with being cool it was a long time ago and thas how it was back then when shows were a little different than today

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
ancient dont be such a bozo just telling what happened as I think the author asked for us to do. sorryit wasnt up to your high standards I know you are far superior to all of us on here trying to be cool as you maybe Ill see you at testament tomorrow ( I see your from cali) Ill look for the puss in the back drinking diet coke if I miss you come ask for me in the VIP derek well see who's " cool" then

rjturtle9
06-10-2009, 07:52 PM
wow only 5 posts and i already dislike this douche. :tp:

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 07:52 PM
wow u go back and have after thougts too???? wow you are a fancy writer obviously I can communicate as you keep replying ha ha pretty sad Im the best you can rip on isnt it

kngdymond
06-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I had forgotten how lame the internet chat guys are thanks for reminding me any guy named turtle is just downright lame

rjturtle9
06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I had forgotten how lame the internet chat guys are thanks for reminding me any guy named turtle is just downright lame

i have never forgotten how lame acid abusers were. u leave like 7 posts and u think your all that. wow man, anyone who tries to start shit on a forum is lame by my books. oh well, i guess your pathetic life is soo shitty that nobody gives u the time of day anywhere else. keep looking for the attention you desperately need.

SomewhereInTime72
06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Calm down, kiddies.

eyekantspele
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Im looking forward to seeing Slayer later this month with Megadeth and Machine Head all on the same bill!

jhdeity
06-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Personally I think this site needs WAY more stories like KNG's. If you didn't live through that era you don't know. Concerts back then were all about the experience and crowds were way cooler then. Many more hot girls and partying. These days you'll never see a group of 4 girls going to a Slayer show but back then it was the norm. Personally I can't think of a worst band to trip to but I respect the intent and laugh at haters.

This tour was my 1st time seeing Slayer and the last time they would ever play clubs for a reason. People could have died. I remember as soon as Danzig ended I grabbed 2 beers and barreled up to the front of the stage. I was willing to fight anyone who tried to take my spot and I had no idea what was about to happen.

As soon as Slayer came on everyone in the back started pushing up. I was at a place called Network in Pasadena, MD with a stage that is less than 2 feet off the ground. I was in the very front row less than a foot from Tom Araya and I was being crushed. I literally had to pull as hard as I could to get my legs up on stage before they were amputated. I was sitting indian style between 2 monitors between King and Araya and when a bouncer tried to clear me and I went apeshit. I fought to be there and I wasn't leaving.

It was incredible to be that close to them and hearing music that I had worshipped but never heard live. I remember screaming every word and shaking Tom's hand after songs several times. At this point, this was the highlight of my life. My legs were cramping but at least I wasn't being crushed.

My last clear memory was jamming out to Crooked Cross and some idiot kept using my shoulder for leverage to jump up. I told him to chill nicely several times and he didn't. I turned around and told him if he did it one more time I was going to bash his face in. Less than a minute later he did it again and I grabbed him by the back of his head and smashed his face into the monitor several times. I thought it was 2 or 3 times but I blacked out in anger and was told it was more like 10 or 12 times. Needless to say I was dragged off stage and thrown out the back door.

Not the coolest story but one of my most memorable concert experiences. If I had it to do over again I'd find a nice headbanding spot on the side so I wouldn't miss my favorite song Jesus Saves but everything happens for a reason. I have bootleg videos from that tour and crushing crowds and heads being bashed were the norm back then. The good ole days... hahaha

ravenheart
06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
These days you'll never see a group of 4 girls going to a Slayer show but back then it was the norm. Personally I can't think of a worst band to trip to but I respect the intent and laugh at haters.

Erm, you do here :rocker:

ravenheart
06-11-2009, 06:01 AM
the time you stay home alone dreaming u had a life

Haha, oh man. The dude who does acid is dropping school-yard insults about having a life. That's priceless.

jhdeity
06-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Good to hear Ravenheart. I recently went to see Meshuggah at a 600 person sold out venue. 597 to 3 isn't my type of ratio. hahahaha

That site jukeboxmetal is pretty cool by the way

ravenheart
06-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Good to hear Ravenheart. I recently went to see Meshuggah at a 600 person sold out venue. 597 to 3 isn't my type of ratio. hahahaha

To be honest, sometimes I'm amazed at the number of girls into certain bands over here. In a good way ;)

That site jukeboxmetal is pretty cool by the way

Cheers :horns:

Derelict
06-11-2009, 07:39 AM
there are certain shitty bands that should get added to bills just to get women into the venue

andrew_metalhead
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Im looking forward to seeing Slayer later this month with Megadeth and Machine Head all on the same bill!

Which show are you going to? I'm making a trip to the Vancouver show :rocker::rocker:

IrritatedTrout
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Who wants to meet girls at heavy metal shows?:eyes: They're not exactly the cream of the crop most of the time.

jhdeity
06-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Sometimes it's just nice to have something to look at. What I've found is when you do hook up with one you at least know it's going to be fun. Not sure how close to Jaxx you are but there are some wild chicks there for sure. One of the bartenders there works bachelor parties and next to the word tenacious in the dictionary is her face. :-)

ravenheart
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Who wants to meet girls at heavy metal shows?:eyes: They're not exactly the cream of the crop most of the time.

You need to live in Europe, my friend.

rjturtle9
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
You need to live in Europe, my friend.

or in LA :D

eyekantspele
06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Which show are you going to? I'm making a trip to the Vancouver show :rocker::rocker:

There coming to my hometown of Winnipeg! Slayer and Megadeth are supposed to be switching off headlining and i think Slayer is headlining winnipeg. i would rather see megadeth headline though

andrew_metalhead
06-11-2009, 11:47 PM
There coming to my hometown of Winnipeg! Slayer and Megadeth are supposed to be switching off headlining and i think Slayer is headlining winnipeg. i would rather see megadeth headline though

yea i'm pretty sure Megadeth r headlining in Vancouver :)

b_halperin
06-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Personally I think this site needs WAY more stories like KNG's.

:stop:

TonyD
06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
i have never forgotten how lame acid abusers were. u leave like 7 posts and u think your all that. wow man, anyone who tries to start shit on a forum is lame by my books. oh well, i guess your pathetic life is soo shitty that nobody gives u the time of day anywhere else. keep looking for the attention you desperately need.

Don't pigeonhole acid users, man:stoned:
Ex.
Matt Pike
Mitch Hedburg
That guy

JuuKun
06-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Mitch Hedburg

:party::party:

nxtVH90
06-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Damn, thats one hell of a set!

Whiskey Brother
03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I didn't even know a riot was going on outside until after the show was over.

This was back in the day when Slayer would literally control the entire crowd. There would be three or four pits going, and then at certain moments, or a certain song, they would all merge into one big giant hurricane... I remember seeing a lot of people getting straight mangled when that happened,- teeth busted out, bones and noses broken, shirts ripped off. I remember one goofy fucker had a chain going from his ear to his lip, but that didn't last too long....

I was a lot younger then, and could stay in the pit for the whole set. When I saw Slayer at Mayhem not too long ago, I lasted almost the entire slow part for Angel of Death. (I guess smoking wasn't such a good idea after all.....)

Anyway, back to the riot....
When we got out of the show, there were Ghetto Birds flying everywhere, Cops in riot gear, broken glass everywhere!!! I think every window for the surrounding three blocks was broken! SlayerKristalnacht... There was even a car on fire, and the fire department with sirens wailing and shit trying to get to it. (They got it with fire extinguishers...)
We were like "What the FUCK?? Did the pit spread outside the show????"
Apparently, the dumb fuckers oversold the show by like 500 tickets, and people who had bought tickets were denied access to the Show.

That's probably the last time the Palladium tried to oversell tickets to Slayer...

Luckily, I had parked about 4 blocks away by a Chinese food place, a good block away from the rioters. I was about 17 at the time, and my Dad was waiting up for me when I got home, wanting to know if I had been caught up in the "Slayer Riot"? He still does not approve, especially since I take my 11 year old Daughter to see Slayer whenever we get the chance....

The big venues they play nowadays don't really compare with the shows at the Hollywood Palladium.... I miss them days....