PDA

View Full Version : DragonForce & Sonata Arctica tour?

JuuKun
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
DRAGONFORCE
SONATA ARCTICA
TAKING DAWN

Sep. 18 - House of Blues - Los Angeles, CA
Sep. 19 - Regency Center @ The Grand - San Francisco, CA
Sep. 20 - Roseland Theater - Portland, OR
Sep. 21 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
Sep. 23 - Edmonton Events Centre - Edmonton, AB
Sep. 24 - MacEwan Hall Ballroom - Calgary, AB
Sep. 25 - Odeon Events Centre - Saskatoon, SK
Sep. 26 - Burton Cummings - Winnipeg, MA
Sep. 28 - Beaumont - Kansas City, MO
Sep. 29 - The Cabooze - Minneapolis, MN
Sep. 30 - House of Blues - Chicago, IL
Oct. 02 - Sound Academy - Toronto, ON
Oct. 03 - Le Medley - Montreal, QC
Oct. 04 - Theatre Imperial - Quebec City, QC
Oct. 06 - The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza - New York City, NY
Oct. 07 - Ram's Head Live - Baltimore, MD
Oct. 09 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
Oct. 10 - The Chance - Poughkeepsie, NY
Oct. 11 - Theatre of the Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA

I don't understand the trend of a shitty band like DragonForce consistently having good support bands. Turisas, Cynic, now Sonata? I meant to go to the last two, but decided neither was worth it. If this happens to be true, Sonata is one of my friend's favorite bands, so I'll probably go to this one with him.

Maiden33
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
If it's true, I won't be going. Dragonforce are pathetic, and Sonata were exponentially disappointing when I saw them. I'd be willing to give them a second chance, but only if this tour had a Philly date, tickets were cheap, and they were getting a fairly decent set time.

JuuKun
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
If it's true, I won't be going. Dragonforce are pathetic, and Sonata were exponentially disappointing when I saw them. I'd be willing to give them a second chance, but only if this tour had a Philly date, tickets were cheap, and they were getting a fairly decent set time.

I know what you mean, I'm guessing SA must be hit-or-miss live. The first time I saw them was at ProgPower in 2007. I thought they were disappointing (though it might have had something to do with following Pagan's Mind). But then I saw them open for Nightwish last year, and they were very good. Definitely, IMO, worthy of a second chance if there's a close enough date to you.

mankvill
06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
oh god, i so wanna see dragonforce so bad.

COME HERE!

DethMaiden
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I'll see this if I meet someone at college who wants to go and it comes to Indianapolis. I really liked DForce live, and I've wanted to see Sonata for like four years now.

ChildrenofSodom
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Do they hand out bouquets at the door?

rjturtle9
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
i wanna see this!!! i love sonata :rocker::rocker:

Maiden33
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
oh god, i so wanna see dragonforce so bad.

Why? Do you need medication?

Butcher of Birth
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I like the show of Dragonforce, and they have a perfect 3/3 Record with me on their live show. Florida seems to get the rare good shows it seems lol.

But yeah, Sonata should be good. I liked them with Nightwish. Very funny and sounded GREAT.

Maiden33
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Dragonforce are a terrible live band. They are arguably a terrible band in the first place, but they are an absolutely terrible live band. If I were to go to this just to see Sonata, I will be leaving before Dragonforce even comes on.

mankvill
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Why? Do you need medication?

Because I like them. :party:

Butcher of Birth
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Dragonforce are a terrible live band. They are arguably a terrible band in the first place, but they are an absolutely terrible live band. If I were to go to this just to see Sonata, I will be leaving before Dragonforce even comes on.

Like i said, It's rare then lol. We only see them at their best here

Spiral_Slave
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Like i said, It's rare then lol. We only see them at their best here

I concur, I really enjoyed them when they came to Orlando with Turisas, and they sounded pretty damn good to my ears.

DethMaiden
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Thirded. They were terrific in Cincinnati with Cynic, and I barely even like them.

b_halperin
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
uh... fourthed. they were great both times i saw them (mayhem fest + turisas)

SomewhereInTime72
06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I think it's ridiculous that a bad can be so radical in either direction of how good or bad they are live. Most likely they're like Bodom, and are normally good, but ruin half the gigs they play by getting utterly wasted before they come out. :mad:

Maiden33
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
No, Dragonforce are a terrible live band. People seem to fail to realize that being at a gig isn't exactly the best way to objectively judge them. When I saw Stratovarius, I thought Timo Kotipelto did a fine job with the vocals. Now, for anyone who knows him at all, they know that this is pretty much impossible. When you're at a show, especially a club show and near the front, there's a lot going on that you can't hear very well, and usually the bad sound will cover up a lot of mistakes for the band. I have been to a number of shows that I enjoyed but listened to bootlegs afterward and realized how bad the performances were.
I realize that you can argue that if you don't notice when you're there, it doesn't matter. That's fine, but don't argue that Dragonforce are a technically good/great live band, because they are not, and that is a matter of fact.

Spiral_Slave
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
No, Dragonforce are a terrible live band. People seem to fail to realize that being at a gig isn't exactly the best way to objectively judge them. When I saw Stratovarius, I thought Timo Kotipelto did a fine job with the vocals. Now, for anyone who knows him at all, they know that this is pretty much impossible. When you're at a show, especially a club show and near the front, there's a lot going on that you can't hear very well, and usually the bad sound will cover up a lot of mistakes for the band. I have been to a number of shows that I enjoyed but listened to bootlegs afterward and realized how bad the performances were.
I realize that you can argue that if you don't notice when you're there, it doesn't matter. That's fine, but don't argue that Dragonforce are a technically good/great live band, because they are not, and that is a matter of fact.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT a fact.

DethMaiden
06-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Not only is this not a fact, it's a completely moot point. Why go to a concert if you're only planning on listening to bootlegs later to convince yourself that you didn't actually have fun? I had a lot of fun seeing DragonForce, and I'm not going to go back and check my show on YouTube to make sure this fun wasn't misplaced.

Maiden33
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Not only is this not a fact, it's a completely moot point. Why go to a concert if you're only planning on listening to bootlegs later to convince yourself that you didn't actually have fun? I had a lot of fun seeing DragonForce, and I'm not going to go back and check my show on YouTube to make sure this fun wasn't misplaced.

Didn't you fucking read what I said? I said I agree that if you have fun, it doesn't matter. Just don't argue that they are a technical great live band, because there is a HUGE fucking difference between putting on a good show and being technically good in a musical sense.

ChildrenofSodom
06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
If I liked the band in the moment, and subjectively thought they were great, who are you to tell me they were 'great'?

I'm not standing up for Dragonforce, even though I have dropped my discriminatory view of them, but I dont know if you can really objectify music in such a way as your are attempting to do. And the fact that you jizz yourself to most prog/power metal bands, excepting Dragonforce, I hardly take your word as objective fact, given your predetermined prejudices.

Butcher of Birth
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I recorded some of the show from Mayhem in tampa, and when I listened back to it it was great. The only problem was that the levels for the keys kept getting adjusted up or down.

They are not that band they once were, they have gotten better, and last I talked to Sam (outside the Orlando gig) he told me "Yeah, we are really trying not to get shitfaced before gigs anymore. It seems you americans take it really serious and we dont wanna mess it all up for us." So they hardly even get wasted before gigs. Last I saw bodom though they came out sober, but ofcourse they drank through the whole set, but they still wee 100% fine.

b_halperin
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Didn't you fucking read what I said? I said I agree that if you have fun, it doesn't matter. Just don't argue that they are a technical great live band, because there is a HUGE fucking difference between putting on a good show and being technically good in a musical sense.

i completely disagree. they have improved over the years. it is true that they do not drink anymore before performances, and that has incredibly helped them. They really are great live performers, and they HAVE mastered their instruments. If you look at old recordings of their songs of Inhuman Rampage compared to now, you will notice a giant difference.

Wizzbang11
06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
i completely disagree. they have improved over the years. it is true that they do not drink anymore before performances, and that has incredibly helped them. They really are great live performers, and they HAVE mastered their instruments. If you look at old recordings of their songs of Inhuman Rampage compared to now, you will notice a giant difference.

I'm going to have to disagree there.
Opening for KSE they sounded GREAT, like, perfect recreation of the studio tracks.
Mayhemfest was much poorer musicianship, far less energy, and an overall lame show.

rjturtle9
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
it seems like every time dragonforce gets mentioned on here, no matter it be a show thread, news, or anything else, that whole thread turns into an argument on whether they are good or bad. sucks but oh well.

every time i have seen dragonforce (4 times) they have been very good. i still rank dragonforce at the wiltern last november as one of my top ten favorite shows. they are that good. at least to me they are

gabo03
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
this is going to be a full us tour?

rjturtle9
06-10-2009, 07:56 PM
this is going to be a full us tour?

hopefully

mastodon421
06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Dragonforce puts on a pretty weak show. Wasnt impressed at all at Mayhem at last year and how they where over Mastodon on the Main Stage is just puzzling.

mankvill
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Sep. 28 - Beaumont - Kansas City, MO :party:

Spiral_Slave
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Sep. 28 - Beaumont - Kansas City, MO :party:

Is there going to be more dates announced?

Maiden33
06-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Is there going to be more dates announced?

I doubt it. It looks like Florida's getting the shaft again... pretty ironic considering it's shaped like one.

DethMaiden
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I doubt it. It looks like Florida's getting the shaft again... pretty ironic considering it's shaped like one.

:lol:

Old people don't like power metal. :(

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I hope I can make it to the NY date!

b_halperin
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM

:rocker:

ravenheart
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
To weigh in for a moment, I've seen Dragonforce too. They were diabolical. But it was only a support slot, and it was quite a while ago. Might have only been after their first album. But I hate every one of their one-dimensional albums as well. And I'm a power metal fan. So I'd expect my opinion wouldn't change if I were to see them again.

But you guys have fun watching Herman play the same guitar part 12 times in an hour ;)

Sonata I've never seen. I like some of their stuff, but not the really flowery stuff. They're playing a festival over here in December and are on the day with very few other bands to see (only really Monster Magnet and Logan for me) for I'll probably watch them there.

Incidentally, the second day is amazing. Still not completely finished with the line-up and already it's Queensryche headlining, an 'evening with' set from W.A.S.P. as special guests, Demon, Witchfynde, Onslaught, Evile and Susperia.

xStructualDefect
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
ill be at the LA house of blues show.
should be interesting to see these two bands on the same bill.

Maiden33
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Circa early 2005 I would think this was about the most badass thing ever.

I might go to the Philly show. If tickets are well-priced (under $25) and Sonata is getting a decent length set (at least 45 minutes). Otherwise I'll definitely pass. Especially considering what September looks like.

JuuKun
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA will play a handful of headlining dates prior to and at the end of their North American tour with DRAGONFORCE. These shows will be the only SONATA ARCTICA headlining gigs until next spring.

The details are as follows:

Sep. 17 - San Marcos, CA - Jumping Turtle
Oct. 12 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theater
Oct. 13 - Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
Oct. 15 - London, ONT (Canada) - Music Hall
Oct. 16 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's Down Under
Oct. 17 - Louisville, KY - Uncle Pleasants
Oct. 18 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave

No more dates will be added.

-

Might just go to the Hartford date instead of the Worcester one, since they're headlining.

MunicipalWasted
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd go for Sonata but not making the effort to find a ride to KC when their not even headlining. Seen Dragonforce twice, i'm going to pass naow.