PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the young "famous" musicians

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I have met a good amount of Musicians, most of them are cool, except for the younger ones, the ones that are new to the whole "We have a record label and are touring" deal.

I've met Exodus, cool as hell down to Earth guys. I've met Korpiklaani, laid back guys just looking for a good time... but then there are the newer bands. I don't really want to name anyone straight up(a band from Pagan Fest, a band from the Kreator tour, a band from the Meshuggah tour), but it seems all they care about are the women. My girlfriend and I went to meet a member of one of the bands that played on Pagan Fest... he seemed cool, but after he found my girlfriend on their new friends on Myspace he messaged her saying "Hey, you are the cutie Asian girl from the show! I would like to get to know you more next time around." I haven't had any problem with the older dudes, but this is just like come on now.

My girlfriend and a member of one of the bands that played on Meshuggah's last US tour know each other kind of, and when I went to say good job to him, he completely looked me over and said hi to my girlfriend.

Just a rant about how lame so many newer musicians are.

Derelict
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
and its surprising that a young guy would rather talk to a female than a male?

b_halperin
06-04-2009, 11:20 AM

no, the fact that the guy completely overlooked his compliment is the part that's douschey...that's no way to treat a fan

mankvill
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
rofl, Warbringer.

Div
06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Warbringer aren't nearly famous enough to be acting arrogant in anything.

Spiral_Slave
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
In Warbringer's defense, I've met John Kevill three times and he's a really nice dude. He was playing chess with fans waiting in line before the Exodus show here.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
In Warbringer's defense, I've met John Kevill three times and he's a really nice dude. He was playing chess with fans waiting in line before the Exodus show here.

I second this, John Kevill was at the merch stand chilling with fans and stuff, no arrogance to be found. John Laux (the guitarist) was also really chill, no arrogance to be found in either of em.

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Warbringer was cool, I am not talking about them at all :D

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I feel like this is just male tendencies here. :( ;) :tongue:

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Warbringer was cool, I am not talking about them at all :D

Interesting....Epicurean?

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Maybe ;)

Derelict
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
True story...i went to see my friend's band (demilitia) open as a local/unsigned support for Epicurean at the Sterling Hotel in Allentown. There were 3 people there to see Epicurean. 3.

ADD
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Well think about it, given their chosen lifestyles they probably don't get much chance to interact with the wimmens too often, and their one outlet is the shows they play and the extremely small minority of girls who show up. If I was living in a van with 4 or 5 other smelly, hairy dudes playing shitty modern metal every night to maybe a couple hundred people with little to no pay I would probably be actin foolish too :hecho:

EDIT: Or to 3 people :lol:

mankvill
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Very interesting! I have met John as well, totally a nice guy all around!

overkiller
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
BANDS LIKE WOMEN!?

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Very interesting! I have met John as well, totally a nice guy all around!

Oh he was cool when I met him, but one of my friends called me over so my girlfriend chatted with him a little bit and when she came back her face was blank and she was like "Wow... that was just the most awkward moment ever... he wanted me to go and get drunk with him and hang out..."

I dunno, I am not trying to downgrade these guys... but these things are just ridiculous.

ADD
06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh he was cool when I met him, but one of my friends called me over so my girlfriend chatted with him a little bit and when she came back her face was blank and she was like "Wow... that was just the most awkward moment ever... he wanted me to go and get drunk with him and hang out..."

The hell did she expect? :lol:

mankvill
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Kreator tour: Epicurean
Paganfest: Swashbuckle
Meshuggah: The Faceless

overkiller
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM

I dunno, I am not trying to downgrade these guys... but these things are just ridiculous.

It just sounds like you're annoyed that guys are hitting on your girlfriend.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-04-2009, 02:24 PM

:lol:

What an idiot! I knew it would have to be them. Not to hate for nothing or anything, but they have ABSOLUTELY nothing to be arrogant about, theur music blows, and the fact that three people went for them is absolutely hilarious.

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Kreator tour: Epicurean
Paganfest: Swashbuckle
Meshuggah: The Faceless

Swashbuckle no, those guys were really cool dudes, especially the singer!

mankvill
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Swashbuckle no, those guys were really cool dudes, especially the singer!

So it was Blackguard? :eek:

John The Drummer
It just sounds like you're annoyed that guys are hitting on your girlfriend.

She actually seems more annoyed than I am about it :eyes:

John The Drummer
So it was Blackguard? :eek:

Something like that :party:

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
maybe you should only meet power metal bands from now on

edit: get it?

John The Drummer
06-04-2009, 02:32 PM

I LOL'd... inside :dance:

Derelict
06-04-2009, 02:38 PM

roflsup

Maiden33
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I think musicians are just like normal people. There are a certain amount of nice people and a certain number of douches. I've met lots and lots of people over the last couple of years. Most of them were nice, but a few of them weren't. I think it's important to note that quiet people aren't always douches. Some people are just quiet and shy and really don't know what to say or how to act around fans.
My favorite people I've met have been Jon Oliva, Zak Stevens, Jeff Plate, Gus G and Bob Katsionis, Joe lynn Turner, Bobby Jarzombek, all of Edguy, all the Manticora people, and Biff Byford.
If I had to narrow down to least-favorites, I'd say Chris Caffery has never sat well with me, because I just find him to be really fake and superficial. He definitely only wants to act nices to dudes so he can get with girls, and I think he just puts on a facade of niceness when he feels like he has to. Mike Portnoy wasn't all that friendly either time I met him, but considering the circumstances I can understand.
As far as young people go, I can't really relate, because most of the bands I've met are older. Given my preferences, most of the musicians are 35+, save for a few of the newer bands I like.

mankvill
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM

:D

JRA
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Your theory is unreliable. Reason: beards.

es156
06-04-2009, 05:30 PM
BANDS LIKE WOMEN!?

Ha ha. Classic.

overkiller
06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Your theory is unreliable. Reason: beards.

It's not gay if you have beards.

Or if you're listening to Manowar.

TonyD
06-04-2009, 11:33 PM
The Faceless doesn't surprise me at all.