PDA

View Full Version : If you don't follow the rules of metal, you will be eliminated from this site...

JRA
06-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Well sort of. I've noticed a couple of things over the past few years. I've noticed that if you hold an opinion that wanders into the "FUCK NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT" territory in metal, you will eventually no longer be with us. Again, some of you newer folks here probably won't understand this, so...either go somewhere else or turn your mind onto "passive observance mode."

Now what do I mean by "FUCK NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT" territory in metal? I mean things like saying Load is a great Metallica album, supporting Sharon's side in Eggfest, erasing Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake's tracks on Ozzy albums, shit like that.

We used to have a guy here named Allan, who was "guilty" of both of those "offenses." Took a lot of shit for it too. Held his ground though, quite admirable. Until eventually the guy changed his screenname and doesn't even come here anymore.

We also used to have a guy named Bouville, who was guilty of loving Blaze Bayley, and even going so far as to declaring him a Messiah. Now, I don't know about you, but the consesus everywhere else I go seems to be that if you were to show that kind of love for the Maiden Blaze Bayley albums you would be a laughing stock. I'm also pretty sure he took the Sharon side of Eggfest, at least to the point where he thought it was karma deserved for Bruce ranting and raving about the US. Again, a guy whose no longer with us.

Then we have a guy called "EvilCheese" who used to be known as "EvilCheeseWedge" who was also guilty of not only supporting Sharon's side of Eggfest but :eek: actually enjoying the Osbournes show. Now I realize the guy still pops up every blue moon, but I think most of us can agree that the guy is more or less no longer with us.

So the moral of this story is, on this site, yo ass better not try to be a minority in metal, or we'll fire your ass of the roof! :D :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

Div
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
What was Hecho guilty of?

JRA
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Telling Bouville that Blaze sucks. :D :eyes:

I don't have an excuse for why everybody doesn't come here anymore.

ADD
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Haha thats true. I wonder what ever happened to Christian (Bouville), he was actually hella tight.

JRA
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Haha thats true. I wonder what ever happened to Christian (Bouville), he was actually hella tight.

Yea, he was cool. I wish he would come back just so he could see all these Black and Death metal bands I like now and he could hail me as TR00. :D

rjturtle9
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
so if u support sharon at eggfest that person becomes a target or what??? i'm not trying to start shit or anything, but from what i have heard, read, seen... etc bruce kind of had it coming :eyes:

and i used to watch ozzy's show, but that was back when i was a NOOB

Div
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
No, you dont get banned, its more like a curse that will cause you to stop posting here for some unrelated reasons... as if the site has a mind of its own.

I bet our fearless admin could tell us about where the others went, but he seems to have gone missing too. Though, I do remember him talking good things about Dragonforce in the past... I guess he fell victim as well.

SirLardsAlot
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
/miss Allan, Christian, and Oscar. :(

powerslave_85
06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
He's probably knee-deep in some archeology dig in South America.

Some people I miss, some I don't. I'll leave it at that.

rjturtle9
06-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I bet our fearless admin could tell us about where the others went, but he seems to have gone missing too. Though, I do remember him talking good things about Dragonforce in the past... I guess he fell victim as well.

lol he owes us maiden pictures

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
metaldrummer888...whatever happened to that kid.

JRA
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM

No fuckin way. The second he stops posting here is the second this site goes bye-bye. I checked his profile and he was online yesterday, so he is lurking and watching.

ADD
06-02-2009, 08:23 PM
metaldrummer888...whatever happened to that kid.
He goes to school at UC Santa Barbara.

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2009, 08:26 PM
He goes to school at UC Santa Barbara.

Too good for us?

ADD
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Too good for us?
Nah he's just not that into metal anymore.

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Far too many soldiers have fallen....

Maiden33
06-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Neither is the majority of this board.

JRA
06-02-2009, 08:54 PM

:eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
06-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I MISS THEM. :boohoo:

mankvill
06-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Bouville

Allan

:bouville:

:allan:

Div
06-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Bouville

Allan

:bouville:

:allan:

now you know our dark secret, those who trash metal get their souls turned into smilies

mankvill
06-02-2009, 11:47 PM
:ecw:

OH GOD

SomewhereInTime72
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
and hecho and tp holy shit

:hecho: :tp:

dear god...

:sit72: <- if this becomes an image when I post, it's been nice guys

zgodt
06-03-2009, 04:28 AM
I think the smiley theory holds more weight than the blasphemy-against-metal-orthodoxy theory.

If there's room on this board for Tegan and Sara fans, I think there's room for people who enjoy Blaze Bayley and Load.

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2009, 05:42 AM
I figured, given my bitch history here, :cos: would have become something by now...

JRA
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
I think the smiley theory holds more weight than the blasphemy-against-metal-orthodoxy theory.

If there's room on this board for Tegan and Sara fans, I think there's room for people who enjoy Blaze Bayley and Load.

Those things were smileys long before those guys left.

Maiden33
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I guess if I ever get a smiley, it's going to be some sort of power metal fairy. :D

JRA
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
I guess if I ever get a smiley, it's going to be some sort of power metal fairy. :D

My question still stands.

What the hell are you talking about?

Maiden33
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

Where have you been the majority of the past 2 years? I can't count the number of people on this board who have adopted to elitist open-minded-for-the-sake-of-open-minded mentality, and have begun to look down on people who really only love metal.

powerslave_85
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Where have you been the majority of the past 2 years? I can't count the number of people on this board who have adopted to elitist open-minded-for-the-sake-of-open-minded mentality, and have begun to look down on people who really only love metal.
I only look down on Eagles fans and people who watch reality TV.

SomewhereInTime72
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I only look down on people who happen to be shorter than me that way I can look at them when we converse.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I only look down on people who happen to be shorter than me that way I can look at them when we converse.

:lol:

DethMaiden
06-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I can't count the number of people on this board who have adopted to elitist open-minded-for-the-sake-of-open-minded mentality, and have begun to look down on people who really only love metal.

Why, because it's impossible to count to zero?

overkiller
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Why, because it's impossible to count to zero?

zang

JRA
06-03-2009, 12:42 PM

I think you're really reaching with this one.

mankvill
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
ALL METAL ALL THE TIME :fist: :shred:

what's that?

new ben folds album?

:drool:

JRA
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
new ben folds album?

:drool:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO Bitches Aint shit.

mankvill
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO Bitches Aint shit.

:barf: That's the song that opened him up to the frat boy audience.

I'm so glad he doesn't play that song anymore, and he rarely plays Brick or The Luckiest.

es156
06-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Well sort of. I've noticed a couple of things over the past few years. I've noticed that if you hold an opinion that wanders into the "FUCK NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT" territory in metal, you will eventually no longer be with us. Again, some of you newer folks here probably won't understand this, so...either go somewhere else or turn your mind onto "passive observance mode."

Now what do I mean by "FUCK NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT" territory in metal? I mean things like saying Load is a great Metallica album, supporting Sharon's side in Eggfest, erasing Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake's tracks on Ozzy albums, shit like that.

We used to have a guy here named Allan, who was "guilty" of both of those "offenses." Took a lot of shit for it too. Held his ground though, quite admirable. Until eventually the guy changed his screenname and doesn't even come here anymore.

We also used to have a guy named Bouville, who was guilty of loving Blaze Bayley, and even going so far as to declaring him a Messiah. Now, I don't know about you, but the consesus everywhere else I go seems to be that if you were to show that kind of love for the Maiden Blaze Bayley albums you would be a laughing stock. I'm also pretty sure he took the Sharon side of Eggfest, at least to the point where he thought it was karma deserved for Bruce ranting and raving about the US. Again, a guy whose no longer with us.

Then we have a guy called "EvilCheese" who used to be known as "EvilCheeseWedge" who was also guilty of not only supporting Sharon's side of Eggfest but :eek: actually enjoying the Osbournes show. Now I realize the guy still pops up every blue moon, but I think most of us can agree that the guy is more or less no longer with us.

So the moral of this story is, on this site, yo ass better not try to be a minority in metal, or we'll fire your ass of the roof! :D :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

Amusing conspiracy theory, but no truth to it. The former regulars that aren't here anymore are absent because of various reasons but this isn't one of them. Some have moved on and don't listen to metal anymore. Some have moved on because of personal disagreements with current members. Some left when the site was opened up to allow viewing without having to register. Some are just too busy doing other things. Edmond knows why most of those mentioned aren't around anymore. He will share the info if he feels it is appropriate.

es156
06-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Lack of internet access for quite awhile. I am not sure beyond that.

es156
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
No, you dont get banned, its more like a curse that will cause you to stop posting here for some unrelated reasons... as if the site has a mind of its own.

:eyes:

The only thing he fell victim to was being extremely busy with the real world.

es156
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I only look down on Eagles fans ...

Are you talking about the Philadelphia Eagles or the Hotel California boys?

Or both?

mankvill
06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I demand that I have a smiley.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7818/1216417136528.gif

es156
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I demand that I have a smiley.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7818/1216417136528.gif

We could just rename one of our current ones for you.

How about this one....

:dorky:

mankvill
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM

How about this one....

It needs glasses!

Indestructible
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
people should give credit to the guys who wrote ozzys songs and if you dont like maiden you might side with sharon and the eggfest thing. the rest i have no problem with

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
people should give credit to the guys who wrote ozzys songs and if you dont like maiden you might side with sharon and the eggfest thing. the rest i have no problem with

lolwut?

Div
06-03-2009, 05:31 PM

How about this one....

powerslave_85
06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Are you talking about the Philadelphia Eagles or the Hotel California boys?

Or both?

Philadelphia, definitely.

Maiden33
06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
This isn't a direct knock on anyone on this board, but I can't blame anyone who abandoned this thing. This is NOT the same board it was 4 years ago when I joined it. Some things are better, some things are worst, but no one who's been here this long can say it's the same. The whole mindset of the active posters has changed, and the atmosphere here has changed. I have no trouble believing that certain people just felt out of place and didn't feel like they should waste their time on a message board they don't really feel at home on.

Fe Maiden
06-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Anyone know what happened to TheClansman+some numbers (I forget)?

Maiden33
06-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Anyone know what happened to TheClansman+some numbers (I forget)?

TheClansman1114, and he's an actual friend of mine. Over the past year and a half he's been getting increasingly less interested in metal aside from the same couple of bands, and basically reached the point where he didn't care enough to "waste his time" posting here. I give him a couple of years before he's completely out of metal/music aside from Maiden and Gamma Ray. Don't know what happened, considering for a few years he was one of my closest friend, but we've just been growing apart.

Fe Maiden
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
TheClansman1114, and he's an actual friend of mine. Over the past year and a half he's been getting increasingly less interested in metal aside from the same couple of bands, and basically reached the point where he didn't care enough to "waste his time" posting here. I give him a couple of years before he's completely out of metal/music aside from Maiden and Gamma Ray. Don't know what happened, considering for a few years he was one of my closest friend, but we've just been growing apart.Yeah, that's him. Glad he still likes Maiden & Gamma Ray. I know that I have certainly gotten very picky and selective in the metal bands that I care for over the years. When I was younger I liked whatever was hard and heavy. I think it's just a natural evolution in our musical tastes. I like a lot of music outside of metal as well but again I'm very picky and selective about it.

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The way I see it is that we're not so much metal enthusiasts, so much as we are music enthusiasts with a preference for metal. Over time as the different amount of music you listen to grows, the less and less individual focus on metal there is. Hence the tendency to appear to have "outgrown" metal as ones musical interests grow more varied. Sometimes the interest in a particular genre dwindles so that it is only a few favorite bands that one can remain enthusiastic about (see: theclansman, et al). For those of us that still post here, I guess it hasn't dwindled.

ADD
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
The way I see it is that we're not so much metal enthusiasts, so much as we are music enthusiasts with a preference for metal.

:cool:

JRA
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I think if anything I'm retracting back into metal. Part of it is I go running, and it feels like that's one of the guaranteed times to listen to music in my current schedule, and you can't exactly keep the adrenaline up with "Blowin In The Wind."

But it seems most of the stuff I buy now is more Metal than anything else. They only non-metal album I've bought in the last 4 months is Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill. I'm not sure how to explain it.

overkiller
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
The way I see it is that we're not so much metal enthusiasts, so much as we are music enthusiasts with a preference for metal.

That's the way it's become for me.

Maiden33
06-04-2009, 01:49 PM
The way I see it is that we're not so much metal enthusiasts, so much as we are music enthusiasts with a preference for metal. Over time as the different amount of music you listen to grows, the less and less individual focus on metal there is. Hence the tendency to appear to have "outgrown" metal as ones musical interests grow more varied. Sometimes the interest in a particular genre dwindles so that it is only a few favorite bands that one can remain enthusiastic about (see: theclansman, et al). For those of us that still post here, I guess it hasn't dwindled.

TheClansman1114 didn't give up on metal, he just grew out of an interest in MUSIC in general. He quit the band he was in, gave up interest in becoming a professional or practicing musician, and basically just stopped caring about all music aside from his 5 or so favorite bands. I see him in person on a regular basis, he has just become a different person, and thus his interests have changed. There's not a big open-minded explanation needed.

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
TheClansman1114 didn't give up on metal, he just grew out of an interest in MUSIC in general. He quit the band he was in, gave up interest in becoming a professional or practicing musician, and basically just stopped caring about all music aside from his 5 or so favorite bands. I see him in person on a regular basis, he has just become a different person, and thus his interests have changed. There's not a big open-minded explanation needed.

That is odd! But I was thinking more of a general trend I've noticed (hence the "et al" part), rather than a specific situation I could obviously not really know about. Good for him though, if he's happy with whatever he's into now.

edit: also yeah with the running thing, I started doing it recently and holy shit I really cant listen to anything that isn't metal without it suddenly getting twice as hard to continue. :lol: Not only that it pretty much has to be like Priest or something :lol:. I'm gonna try Motorhead now.

JRA
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
That is odd! But I was thinking more of a general trend I've noticed (hence the "et al" part), rather than a specific situation I could obviously not really know about. Good for him though, if he's happy with whatever he's into now.

edit: also yeah with the running thing, I started doing it recently and holy shit I really cant listen to anything that isn't metal without it suddenly getting twice as hard to continue. :lol: Not only that it pretty much has to be like Priest or something :lol:. I'm gonna try Motorhead now.

Gamma Ray actually helps, particularly the first half of No World Order.

zgodt
06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
This isn't a direct knock on anyone on this board, but I can't blame anyone who abandoned this thing. This is NOT the same board it was 4 years ago when I joined it. Some things are better, some things are worst, but no one who's been here this long can say it's the same. The whole mindset of the active posters has changed, and the atmosphere here has changed. I have no trouble believing that certain people just felt out of place and didn't feel like they should waste their time on a message board they don't really feel at home on.

I miss the IMBB. :(

DethMaiden
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
The way I see it is that we're not so much metal enthusiasts, so much as we are music enthusiasts with a preference for metal. Over time as the different amount of music you listen to grows, the less and less individual focus on metal there is. Hence the tendency to appear to have "outgrown" metal as ones musical interests grow more varied.

:fist: Yep.

Maiden33
06-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I miss the IMBB. :(

For sure. The IMBB was such a great community. And it really has nothing to do with my love for Maiden as my favorite band. Due to the size of that board, there were enough people and enough activity that there weren't so many arguments and so much drama. It just stayed interesting because people with shared interests stuck together and just enjoyed themselves. Contrary to what other people here I believe, I don't think the sole purpose of a message board should be to talk to people with whom I have little in common in order to somehow gain a "wider understanding" of music in general. I want to discuss the music I like/love, and leave the rest. It's not a life lesson, it's a message board. I want to have fun. And the IMBB was a lot of fun.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-05-2009, 07:48 AM

Hey, hey, sure, it took me three days to find this...

But, to be fair, I enjoyed The Osbournes at the time.

And, the reason I've disappeared, but still pop up every blue moon, is that I'm almost done with my degree (finish in July, last classes in progress) and I'm getting ready to move to Pennsylvania ;)

Edit: :ecw:

Maiden33
06-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey, hey, sure, it took me three days to find this...

But, to be fair, I enjoyed The Osbournes at the time.

And, the reason I've disappeared, but still pop up every blue moon, is that I'm almost done with my degree (finish in July, last classes in progress) and I'm getting ready to move to Pennsylvania ;)

Edit: :ecw:

Where in Pennsylvania?

EvilCheeseWedge
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Where in Pennsylvania?

Likely somewhere in the Pottsville/Schuylkill County area, but possibly closer to Allentown/Bethlehem, or Reading, depending on what kind of job I can get.

Maiden33
06-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Likely somewhere in the Pottsville/Schuylkill County area, but possibly closer to Allentown/Bethlehem, or Reading, depending on what kind of job I can get.

Well I live in Whitehall, which is about 5 minutes north of Allentown. So if you come within a reasonable distance, that'd be cool. My band is always looking for support. ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Well I live in Whitehall, which is about 5 minutes north of Allentown. So if you come within a reasonable distance, that'd be cool. My band is always looking for support. ;)

Yeah, I've been through Whitehall. I'll definitely come hear you guys play once I'm living out there :)