PDA

View Full Version : Paul DiAnno Compares Steve Harris to Hitler, Says Iron Maiden is "F**king Boring"

Maiden33
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121158

Discuss.

mankvill
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
:lol:

SomewhereInTime72
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow, hahahhahahah. Sad.

TonyD
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Those who can't make music try to make headlines.

maidenpriest
06-01-2009, 11:06 PM
paul is just jealous that steve makes new music while paul plays the same old 10 songs from his days in Maiden

Div
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
he's full of shit, killers is an amazing album how can he say that the only good song on there is the one he wrote? :tp: he wrote songs 20 times better than what was put on killers? well holy shit, somebody better get him in to the recording studio asap, because he's been walking around with the best metal album ever locked away in his head all these years!

wasn't his latest album called "the maiden years"? actually, arent most of his albums trying to milk off iron maiden anyway? i mean he was only on two albums, but look at how much of this shit is maiden related: http://www.pauldianno.com/disco.shtml
that's an awful lot of reference for a band that's "boring"

ravenheart
06-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Paul continually disappoints me. Mostly because all his stuff with Killers, Battlezone etc. fucking rocks. But he barely plays any of it. Every album he puts out is either a live album consisting almost entirely of tracks from the first two Maiden albums, or an album of re-recordings of tracks from the first two Maiden albums.

Everything bearing his name says something like "Original singer from Iron Maiden", whether it's relevent or not. Even his last solo album was just a re-hash of his first solo album, with one new song and two re-recordings of Maiden songs.

He even has his name in the Iron Maiden font on some of his stuff.

JRA
06-02-2009, 07:10 AM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5481/lolwutsp3.jpg

It's just occurred to me that Paul reminds me of Dave Mustaine. Only less successful and more retarded.

Spiral_Slave
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Take a hike, Paul.

Maiden33
06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Anyway, now that everyone has had sufficient time to weigh in here, it's time for my piece.

Paul Di'Anno is one of my least favorite people in the entire music business, and that's only proven by this charming little article.
I don't see why I should bother to even argue over the fine points here, but nevertheless, I will.
If there was any truth the majority of what Paul has had, it would be obvious. Maiden has had their share of ex members of the years, and not one other previous member has left the band and badmouthed them to this extent. There may have been a negative word here or there, but nothing even close to what Paul has said, which definitely makes it seem like HE is the one with the problem. These rumors about Di'Anno being ousted due to drug use and other non-musical reasons are not new, they have been pretty the norm for the past 25 years. He's treating them like they are totally unfounded and that the interviewer who brought them up pulled them out of their ass, as opposed to the official Iron Maiden biography.
Also, even if Paul is correct about Steve only caring about money, he has no place to say anything being that Paul has spent the better part of his solo career living off of the Maiden name. His live set lists are filled with Maiden songs, his compilation albums are filled with Maiden songs, and apparently all Maiden tribute albums are filled with Di'Anno remaking his own Maiden songs. It's pathetic. I've never seen anything close to this from any other ex-band member, let alone one who badmouths the band. Paul needs to face it: No one really cares about his solo career, and he's just living off of his Maiden legacy. The sooner he admits it, the better for everyone. This is why I have 1,000 times more respect for Blaze Bayley than Paul.
Furthermore, if Di'Anno had songs "20 times better" than the "crap songs" Steve was writing, why is his solo material not good? Because he's full of shit, that's why.
And one final thing. I can't fucking stand how Paul trashes his old singing style, "metal singing" in general, and acts like he's somehow superior now because he can't sing worth a shit anymore. I saw some of one of his live DVDs from a few years ago, it was awful. Absolutely terrible vocals. I personally don't think he could ever sing that well, but at least back in the day he gave it a worthy try. As opposed to this half ass "I'm a punk, I don't sing metal" shit.

Butcher of Birth
06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Paul, Paul, Paul... I'll just watch the Early Days and see what you had to Say there... Which is now (circa 2009) Ass-Backwards am I correct?

:lol: I love seeing how some of the comments bash on Bruce for his "gay voice" and "running around in spandex", and that spending $80 to see them is a total rip. I would rather Spend $80 and see a band full of life with a front man Working the Crowd and connecting everyone to the same train of thought, then $20 for a singer who stands there, sweats, and "sings".

Unjust bashing by Paul and by The Blabbermouths.

Plus when you're this big, making money happens... Atleast they don't whore themselves out like Metallica or KISS, who both you can argue, have earned their money. Sure Iron Maiden has their Cups, Clocks, Watches, Bags, Hats, etc. But I can only find the CD's, DVD's, Shoes, and Shirts in actual Retial Shops.

I would say they concentrate on making making money from the fans, and to me that's fine. Fan's buy things, it's in our defintion. But when Maiden start the slayer route (Instore Hot Topic Shows and Signings) then I'll call foul.

Maiden33
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
The difference between Maiden and any other band in the top tier of rock/metal popularity is this:

Maiden are about the only band to make it into that popularity bracket by totally doing their own thing, even when they were passed on and overlooked by mainstream radio and media for years. Maiden right now is the most popular they have ever been, and if anything, they're still actually getting more popular. Their success has nothing to do with trends or commercial appeal. That's one of the reasons Maiden will always be my favorite band. Because they are THE picture perfect proof that you CAN become "rich and famous" by being exactly what you want and never compromising your ideals.

mastodon421
06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Paul Dianno is an asshole and the article proves it even further. Dickinson is much better than him anyways so he is clearly jealous of the Maiden fame. What a douchebag.

Butcher of Birth
06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
The difference between Maiden and any other band in the top tier of rock/metal popularity is this:

Maiden are about the only band to make it into that popularity bracket by totally doing their own thing, even when they were passed on and overlooked by mainstream radio and media for years. Maiden right now is the most popular they have ever been, and if anything, they're still actually getting more popular. Their success has nothing to do with trends or commercial appeal. That's one of the reasons Maiden will always be my favorite band. Because they are THE picture perfect proof that you CAN become "rich and famous" by being exactly what you want and never compromising your ideals.

Well put, and even Rod had said they had offers to do commericals and stuff but never took them because it wasn't what that band was about. They've been Maiden since their formation, and I'm so proud of them.

JRA
06-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Well put, and even Rod had said they had offers to do commericals.

Did Rod have his day off when they decided to do those awful Crash Test Dummies "LOL wear your seatbelts kiddies" commercials?

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Somebody's jelous...

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
This made me lose tremendous respect for Paul Di'Anno.

ADD
06-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Just think, if Maiden had gotten in a bus crash in like 1982 and Paul died the world would have been spared his utter lameness for the past 25+ years and he would be forever immortalized in the pantheon of metal history, his legacy never to be tarnished. Shame :( He was such a badass back in the day too, and I've yet to hear anyone successfully imitate his vocal style on those early Maiden albums.

gabo03
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
:confused:

JRA
06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Just think, if Maiden had gotten in a bus crash in like 1982 and Paul died the world would have been spared his utter lameness for the past 25+ years and he would be forever immortalized in the pantheon of metal history, his legacy never to be tarnished. Shame :( He was such a badass back in the day too, and I've yet to hear anyone successfully imitate his vocal style on those early Maiden albums.

Yea but then you'd have a bunch of fucktards treating Paul as if he was some kind of Bon Scott infallible Messiah and thus, allowing them to think they have clout for saying pedophiliac retarded shit like LOL MAIDEN SHOULD HAVE BROKEN UP AFTER HE DYED or BRUCE IS GAY or 7TH SON IS SO SPINAL TAP or JANICK GERS GAVE ME AIDS.

ADD
06-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Yea but then you'd have a bunch of fucktards treating Paul as if he was some kind of Bon Scott infallible Messiah and thus, allowing them to think they have clout for saying pedophiliac retarded shit like LOL MAIDEN SHOULD HAVE BROKEN UP AFTER HE DYED or BRUCE IS GAY or 7TH SON IS SO SPINAL TAP or JANICK GERS GAVE ME AIDS.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True

JRA
06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
In fact, now that I think about it, look at what happened with Cliff. Beacuse Metallica's musical quality was slowly going down, everybody points the blame squarely at a driving mishap. Everybody thought that Cliff was what made the band super thrashy and super heavy. One of my favorite parts of Ultraboris's Master Of Puppets review was that he challenged Cliff's god-like status by saying that he was more responsible for their slower, proggier(boring?) parts of Metallica's sound than shit like Fight Fire With Fire and Metal Militia.

I've said this before, and I'll say at again. I remember reading a Metallica quotes book where Kirk said that if Cliff was still alive, that they would have made an album like Load alot sooner than they did. I believe that way more than I believe the "Cliff was the heart and soul of Metallica" bullshit.

ADD
06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
In fact now that I think about it, look at what happened with Cliff. Beacuse Metallica's musical quality was slowly going down, everybody points the blame squarely at a driving mishap. Everybody thought that Cliff was what made the band super thrashy and super heavy. One of my favorite parts of Ultraboris's Master Of Puppets review, was that he challenged Cliff's god like status. Saying that he was more responsible for their slower proggier (boring?) parts of Metallica's sound than shit like Fight Fire With Fire and Metal Militia.

I've said this before, and I'll say at again. I remember reading a Metallica quotes book where Kirk said that if Cliff was still alive, that they would have made an album like Load alot sooner than they did. I believe that way more than I believe the "Cliff was the heart and soul of Metallica" bullshit.

Yup, great point. Makes ya wonder about other famous musicians who also died young.

rjturtle9
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
why am i always late on threads like these haha

oh well. paul is a joke. he was good on the first two maiden albums but damn. i have never seen his entire discography before. this guy is in it just for the money. it's sad and a disgrace to maiden in general.

TonyD
06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
In fact, now that I think about it, look at what happened with Cliff. Beacuse Metallica's musical quality was slowly going down, everybody points the blame squarely at a driving mishap. Everybody thought that Cliff was what made the band super thrashy and super heavy. One of my favorite parts of Ultraboris's Master Of Puppets review was that he challenged Cliff's god-like status by saying that he was more responsible for their slower, proggier(boring?) parts of Metallica's sound than shit like Fight Fire With Fire and Metal Militia.

You make slower and proggier sound like bad things.
Cliff didn't make the band thrashy, they already were before he joined. Cliff added to and complimented the "Metal Up Your Ass" style to make it much more than that.
Moral of the story: apart from the Black Album, Cliff is the difference between Metallica and Testament.

powerslave_85
06-02-2009, 07:58 PM
This made me lose tremendous respect for Paul Di'Anno.
You had any to begin with?

I dunno, his comment is so over-the-top I can't do anything but laugh.

Butcher of Birth
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Did Rod have his day off when they decided to do those awful Crash Test Dummies "LOL wear your seatbelts kiddies" commercials?

But it was promoting a product, it was a public safety short. It was only Bruce and told people to buckle up, that's fine to me lol. Keeping the kids safe.

ADD
06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Moral of the story: apart from the Black Album, Cliff is the difference between Metallica and Testament.

Huh? :hecho: Fail

JRA
06-02-2009, 08:29 PM

I agree. That part of the post inconvenienced my brain cells.

In regards to the rest of the post, I didn't have a problem when Metallica slowed it down, but Boris thought they were boring when they did.

ADD
06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
inconvenienced my brain cells.

Consider this phrase copped.

JRA
06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Consider this phrase copped.

Copped?

ADD
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Copped?
"purchased, borrowed, or aquired in some fashion or another" :D

overkiller
06-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I [wrote] the song 'Killers', Steve had [what he thought] were better songs. I thought his songs were shit.

You know, lately I've been fairly turned off by that song, especially with my newfound obsession with the rest of the tracks on that album. This explains it.

TonyD
06-02-2009, 10:32 PM

I'm sticking to what I said.

Fe Maiden
06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Moral of the story: apart from the Black Album, Cliff is the difference between Metallica and Testament.:confused:

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
You had any to begin with?

I dunno, his comment is so over-the-top I can't do anything but laugh.

Good point. Two records (that weren't even wholely made by him) that are good and a whole discography of mediocrity doesn't earn respect.

Paul Di'Anno=:bawling:

Div
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I wonder if Paul owns a copy of Number of the Beast.

ADD
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm sticking to what I said.
If anything he's the link between Metallica and Testament. Kill 'em All + The Legacy = balls out thrash/speed metal. Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets + The New Order/Practice What You Preach = more refined/heavy metal/slower overall. Cliff had more input in RTL and MOP obviously. It's so stupid to even try to compare Testament and Metallica though cuz Testament were listening to Metallica for inspiration before they even had a record out. But whatever, if you think about it every single rock band ever has gotten progressively less "heavy" or "raw" or "fast" anything along those lines as their career continues. Take any band with a reasonable discography (4-5 albums, maybe like 8-10 years together as a band). Even bands with 12 albums you can do the same thing, chart the difference between album #6 and album #10. 10 is probably slower, more progressive, more whatever than 6. This obviously doesn't apply to Motorhead and AC/DC but it does to everyone else I can think of. Musicians evolve over time, tastes/interests change, touring and drugs wear you down, lots of factors contribute to how a band's sound changes. Doesn't mean it was one member's fault/influence necessarily.

JRA
06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I will say that Chuck Billy does sound like a James Hetfield clone though.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I will say that Chuck Billy does sound like a James Hetfield clone though.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Chuck does brutal vocals on Low and onwards, something James could never do, and will never be able to.

And, Chuck still has that gritty thrash voice that Hetfield lost A WHILE back.

Chuck >>>>>>> James

JRA
06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree. Chuck does brutal vocals on Low and onwards, something James could never do, and will never be able to.

Chuck >>>>>>> James

Ok, so James can't do it anymore, doesn't mean Chuck doesn't sound like him.

SerpentineVIVIVI
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Ok, so James can't do it anymore, doesn't mean Chuck doesn't sound like him.

Besides not being able to anymore, James can't do the growls Chuck does. I think Chuck sounds pretty unique to be honest, as does James. I can note the similiarity, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they sound alike.

Fe Maiden
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Agreed! Chuck doesn't have the range he used to but he still sounds like he used to while James doesn't sound much like his old self at all any more to me!