PDA

View Full Version : The Official 'What Are You Doing' Thread Part III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

xStructualDefect
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
i just won 2 tix to the miss may i show tonight in hollywood!

larvtard
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Step 1: Sell tickets.

Step 2: PROFIT!!!

DethMaiden
11-11-2010, 04:16 PM

:rocker: :rocker: Hopefully I'll get to see them in Indy in January. I don't like metalcore, but they're as good as any band playing it that I've heard, and I graduated with three of their members and we're bros. :cool: I expect a full report!

xStructualDefect
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
:rocker: :rocker: Hopefully I'll get to see them in Indy in January. I don't like metalcore, but they're as good as any band playing it that I've heard, and I graduated with three of their members and we're bros. :cool: I expect a full report!

ohh yeah i remember reading before that you and ChildrenofSodom went to high school with them. i'm not the biggest metalcore fan either but they are really good at what they do especially for their age. i'll write a report but to be honest i just started listening to them about 2 weeks ago lol so i'm not that familiar with their material but i'll try to get a setlist.

DethMaiden
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
ohh yeah i remember reading before that you and ChildrenofSodom went to high school with them. i'm not the biggest metalcore fan either but they are really good at what they do especially for their age. i'll write a report but to be honest i just started listening to them about 2 weeks ago lol so i'm not that familiar with their material but i'll try to get a setlist.

If you get a chance to talk to the dudes, tell 'em Brad Sanders says hey. :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
11-11-2010, 05:39 PM
If you get a chance to talk to the dudes, tell 'em Brad Sanders says hey. :cool:

And Cameron DeHart. :D

Sepultura69
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Click on the image to in large it and read the whole thing...
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/5f/Fuckingowned.jpg

:lol:

SomewhereInTime72
11-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Started registering for classes next semester...:
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9947/fucka.png
Words cannot describe how this makes me feel.

mankvill
11-12-2010, 11:57 AM

:barf:

makethemsuffer12
11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Click on the image to in large it and read the whole thing...
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/5f/Fuckingowned.jpg

Haha that's fucking terrible.

mankvill
11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Indiana got ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspanked

DethMaiden
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Indiana got ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspanked

Yeah, we're usually pretty fucking terrible, but this is a new low. Wisconsin is a historically strong program, and they just broke their all-time single-game points record against a conference opponent. That's embarrassing.

mankvill
11-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, we're usually pretty fucking terrible, but this is a new low. Wisconsin is a historically strong program, and they just broke their all-time single-game points record against a conference opponent. That's embarrassing.

Wisconsin actually tied their highest scoring game of last year

in basketball

ChildrenofSodom
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
LETS GO BUCKS!

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
^ A tale of two halves, the buckeyes came out like gang busters in the second half!

mankvill
11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I might be on our local radio's metalshow tonight! Stream it at www.kjhk.org starting in half an hour.

And if I'm not on, listen to it anyway!

mankvill
11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I might be on our local radio's metalshow tonight! Stream it at www.kjhk.org starting in half an hour.

And if I'm not on, listen to it anyway!

This was so much fun! I got to talk about Deathspell Omega and then got yelled at because I said Vektor were the best thrash band of the past 20 years!

rjturtle9
11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
just got a facebook. Myspace is dead.

TonyD
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
just got a facebook. Myspace is dead.

Welcome to 2 years ago.

elturtleboy
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Welcome to 2 weeks ago.

FIXED!

JuuKun
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNc4bZ3HKs0

:rocker:

Natrlhi
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
:boohoo: :bawling: Welcome to the world of engineering, son. :violin:

Oh, and by the way, when you get out there into the real world, guess what time work starts
EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING LIFE?!?

I'll give you a hint - it's at around 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. :lol:

On the bright side, those huge fucking paychecks do buy a lot of Coke Zero or Red Bull, so there are always ways to cope. :D

SomewhereInTime72
11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I've never had a job that *regularly* started before 9. :eyes: :bouville:

evildeadjedi
11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
I've never had a job that *regularly* started before 9. :eyes: :bouville:

Look on the bright side, at least they're grooming you for later in life.

idrinkwine732
11-15-2010, 04:35 PM
:boohoo: :bawling: Welcome to the world of engineering, son. :violin:

Oh, and by the way, when you get out there into the real world, guess what time work starts
EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING LIFE?!?

I'll give you a hint - it's at around 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. :lol:

On the bright side, those huge fucking paychecks do buy a lot of Coke Zero or Red Bull, so there are always ways to cope. :D

Yo, Nat, you should know it's pointless to put the violin smilie right before your own kvetching ;).

Also, since he's not a professional yet, he should be enjoying every moment of possible sleeping in he can have.

Derelict
11-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Also, since he's not a professional yet, he should be enjoying every moment of possible sleeping in he can have.

This times 200 - hope all you college kids are enjoying every second of the experience.

ChildrenofSodom
11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Did you guys hear about the fire in University of Michigan's football dorm that destroyed 20 books? The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet.

MUCK FICHIGAN!!!!

DethMaiden
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Decibel is now including an exclusive vinyl single with every issue for subscribers. I should really buy a turntable.

ChildrenofSodom
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
So, someone sent in a bomb threat to my university. They shut down three buildings and the library. My daily routine was not altered one bit. The terrorists didn't win.

Fires Of Sedition
11-16-2010, 01:40 PM
So, someone sent in a bomb threat to my university. They shut down three buildings and the library. My daily routine was not altered one bit. The terrorists didn't win.

:jima:

Natrlhi
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Isn't it fun when you Google a word or phrase, and one of the hits you get back is something you posted on the web?

I just did a search for "James O'Brien Yeti Special" (it's a long story - don't ask :D), and the third search result that popped up was a post I made in the "Now Playing" thread on here for one of the songs on the new Julie Christmas solo album. The last few words of the search result description (just before it gets truncated with the periods of ellipsis) is the quote "Thank the fuck Christ." That made me laugh.

(Oh, and before you go thinking how vain I am for laughing at a joke I myself made - it just ain't so. The quote is actually from Billy Bob Thornton in "Bad Santa", and the reason I laugh when I hear or think of that quote is that it makes me think of how funny the movie is - especially Thornton's character.)

ChildrenofSodom
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Lulz (http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Scottish-club-sorry-for-putting-Nazis-on-Remembr;_ylt=AmXptcpbCqb9JYPoZleYFTb74414?urn=sow-286755)

DethMaiden
11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Writing an application and resume in the next 2.5 hours. Should I? No. Do I have to? Yes.

mastodon421
11-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I thought this was funny, so I thought I would share. I post at a movie forum regularly and the regular members are posting their 100 films of all time. This one guy(who is a complete dick know it all) posted The Crying Game as one of his favorite films. I haven't seen The Crying Game, but I know the twist so I said "Haven't seen it, but I know the twist and I think it's funny as hell because of a skit on Robot Chicken". He proceeds to call me an insenstive dick and I did understand the beauty of the twist( For those who don't know it's a love story and at some point the film a man finds out the "woman" he is in love has a penis.)

ChildrenofSodom
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Writing an application and resume in the next 2.5 hours. Should I? No. Do I have to? Yes.

For what?

DethMaiden
11-18-2010, 10:20 AM
For what?

WEEKEND editor.

ChildrenofSodom
11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm currently trying to find a way to increase my caloric intake. I've hit a weight loss plateau because I'm not eating enough calories. I'm at 1700 or so, but today and tomorrow I'm going to try to get to 2500 or 2700, eating healthy stuff. Hopefully that kicks my metabolism back into shape. I've felt dead for the past two weeks....no energy, the scale hasn't moved, nothing.

xStructualDefect
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
:lol: :lol:

i always get a good laugh when people on the internet (primarily blabbermouth, youtube, metalsucks, etc) talk so much shit about bands that they think aren't "TRUE" metal in the comments section and say "that band is pussy metal, listen to true metal you posers." hahahahah

JRA
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm currently trying to find a way to increase my caloric intake. I've hit a weight loss plateau because I'm not eating enough calories. I'm at 1700 or so, but today and tomorrow I'm going to try to get to 2500 or 2700, eating healthy stuff. Hopefully that kicks my metabolism back into shape. I've felt dead for the past two weeks....no energy, the scale hasn't moved, nothing.

Or just eat fatty foods.

makethemsuffer12
11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Just got home from the Blind Guardian show. Shit was awesome.

jd091
11-20-2010, 11:42 PM
( For those who don't know it's a love story and at some point the film a man finds out the "woman" he is in love has a penis.)

LOL WUT

JRA
11-21-2010, 08:14 AM
I had a dream that I was at a Maiden show, and people kept jumping on stage and being a nuisance, then a band member would beat the crap out of them.

Fires Of Sedition
11-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm looking for new music to listen to, any suggestions? I mainly want trippy music like Tool or Mastodon.

mastodon421
11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm looking for new music to listen to, any suggestions? I mainly want psychedelic, trippy music like Tool or Mastodon.

Intronaut and Baroness.

jd091
11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm looking for new music to listen to, any suggestions? I mainly want trippy music like Tool or Mastodon.

Tesseract is really good, very proggy-metal. Same with Karnivool. They remind me a lot of Tool; more rock-trippy than metal-trippy.

Fires Of Sedition
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Intronaut and Baroness.

Tesseract is really good, very proggy-metal. Same with Karnivool. They remind me a lot of Tool; more rock-trippy than metal-trippy.

Half way through the tracks on Intronaut's myspace page. Sounds like it'll take multiple listens for me to get into. I think I've checked out Baroness before and didn't like the vocals but I'll give them another chance. Never heard of Tesseract or Karnivool but I'll be sure to check their material out as well.

TonyD
11-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Half way through the tracks on Intronaut's myspace page. Sounds like it'll take multiple listens for me to get into. I think I've checked out Baroness before and didn't like the vocals but I'll give them another chance. Never heard of Tesseract or Karnivool but I'll be sure to check their material out as well.

Intronaut will take a few, idk what you heard but the vocals are very different from the EP's (First, Second, A Grey Sigh In A Flower Husk) to the LP's (Red & Blue Album).

Natrlhi
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Intronaut will take a few, idk what you heard but the vocals are very different from the EP's (First, Second, A Grey Sigh In A Flower Husk) to the LP's (Red & Blue Album).
The Tony...do you often change lanes suddenly in heavy traffic without signaling as well? :lol:

What Tony is trying to say, I think, is that the IntrOnaut will indeed take a while to get into (which I would tend to agree). Then, on the subject of Baroness, the vocals on the EP's are a bit different from those on the Red Album and Blue Record. I'm assuming he means that the older material has somewhat harsher vocals, which I would agree with for the most part.

For my part, if you like Mastodon a great deal, I would highly recommend a band called Burst from Sweden. They were signed to Relapse before they hung it up for good (supposedly) last year. I often refer to them as "Sweden's answer to Mastodon". They are progressive, but heavy - like Mastodon. They are extremely talented musicians - like Mastodon. Their song structures are very intricate - but yet smooth - and they often use odd time signatures and such, like Mastodon. Their most recent album, "Lazarus Bird" is an absolute masterpiece. Going backwards from there, 2006's "Origo" is outstanding, and 2003's "Prey on Life" is excellent as well. Check them out - they are incredible.

Natrlhi
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
By the way, Happy Sodom Day everyone. :fist:

Maiden33
11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Listening to rough live demos my band recorded yesterday. Really, really happy with most of the results. :rocker:

TonyD
11-22-2010, 08:24 PM
The Tony...do you often change lanes suddenly in heavy traffic without signaling as well? :lol:

That took me a minute to get :eyes:
I must be absorbing writing habits from Indestructible.

jd091
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I assume everyone here has seen Cephalic Carnage's video for "Ohrwurm" :allan:

Dextrimental
11-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I assume everyone here has seen Cephalic Carnage's video for "Ohrwurm" :allan:

Seen it the day it was released, few music videos have stuck with me as much. People who see it will not be forgetting it for a LONG tim!

ravenheart
11-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Passing time until it's time to leave for Exodus :D

makethemsuffer12
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136446p1.html

lulz

Sepultura69
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136446p1.html

lulz

Ohhhhh Axl....:tp:

xStructualDefect
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
so i saw my recruiter today, and long story short i'm gonna begin signing my life to the United States Marine Corps. next week and could be leaving as early as february or march.

Derelict
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
so i saw my recruiter today, and long story short i'm gonna begin signing my life to the United States Marine Corps. next week and could be leaving as early as february or march.

Prepare to be treated like an 8 year old for the next four years

EDIT: not saying this to put you down, my brother just got out, that was his major complaint

makethemsuffer12
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Props to you, man. I'm sure that takes some major cojones.

DethMaiden
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Good luck and be safe, bro. :fist:

Wizzbang11
11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/CHRISANDREA/nuke015.jpg

This is easily the greatest photo I have stumbled upon in quite awhile

xStructualDefect
11-25-2010, 03:31 PM
i think i realized why i don't call myself a metalhead as much anymore and don't really listen to extreme metal anymore (except for the bands i already do), the fans of it turn me off.

i have a friend that listens to a lot of extreme metal. today he posts Slipknot lyrics as a facebook post. and all his friends that look like "tr00" metalheads got pissed saying stuff like wtf are you listening to that's not true metal, with one even saying you are no longer allowed to listen to Blind Guardian and Bathory if you listen to shit like Slipknot. so i reply saying so i guess i'm horrible too for being open minded and listening to both Slipknot and Blind Guardian? and his friend replies with there's a diff between being open minded and fucking retarded. so i reply by saying so listening to Slipknot makes one retarded? he never replies so i go to his profile and of course he's like 17 and listens to strictly black and death metal.

similar stories a few months ago when he started posting Whitechapel and Suicide Silence lyrics on facebook posts and people were replying saying the same thing saying he's turning into a deathcore loving fag, since he used to hate both bands but he's been very open minded lately instead of just listening to "tr00" extreme bands all the time.

so i think that's what's been turning me off the whole label metalhead because of close minded idiots like that who stick to a few "tr00" genres of metal and give people shit if they like bands they think aren't "tr00." i see it all over the internet too. people always putting people down for listening to bands that are too core-ish or whatever and it's pretty lame. makes me laugh actually how some people react.

Indestructible
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
i think i realized why i don't call myself a metalhead as much anymore and don't really listen to extreme metal anymore (except for the bands i already do), the fans of it turn me off.

i have a friend that listens to a lot of extreme metal. today he posts Slipknot lyrics as a facebook post. and all his friends that look like "tr00" metalheads got pissed saying stuff like wtf are you listening to that's not true metal, with one even saying you are no longer allowed to listen to Blind Guardian and Bathory if you listen to shit like Slipknot. so i reply saying so i guess i'm horrible too for being open minded and listening to both Slipknot and Blind Guardian? and his friend replies with there's a diff between being open minded and fucking retarded. so i reply by saying so listening to Slipknot makes one retarded? he never replies so i go to his profile and of course he's like 17 and listens to strictly black and death metal.

similar stories a few months ago when he started posting Whitechapel and Suicide Silence lyrics on facebook posts and people were replying saying the same thing saying he's turning into a deathcore loving fag, since he used to hate both bands but he's been very open minded lately instead of just listening to "tr00" extreme bands all the time.

so i think that's what's been turning me off the whole label metalhead because of close minded idiots like that who stick to a few "tr00" genres of metal and give people shit if they like bands they think aren't "tr00." i see it all over the internet too. people always putting people down for listening to bands that are too core-ish or whatever and it's pretty lame. makes me laugh actually how some people react.

I dealt with people like that too. I hate on death metal alot, I'm trying to stop doing that so much because it can get annoying to death metal fans and it can make sound like a prick when I talk shit about death metal all the time.
One of my facebook friends is a huge fan of death metal and he posts death metal lyrics and songs alot, and I say how I hate death metal because alot of the screaming and growling is just awful, there are only a few death metal bands that I listen to. That friend is fine when I hate on death metal. It's his other friends that say fuck you, if you hate screaming and growling then go listen to your christain metalcore bull shit, you're not a true metal fan ect. I hate people like that, one guy actually told me that he would beat the shit out of me in the pit if he ever saw me at a concert, all because I hate bands like whitechapel.

Indestructible
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
What am I doing, laying on the couch being lazy after eating a bunch of stuff, because that is what you do on thanksgiving.

mankvill
11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
What pisses me off is when people call me close-minded for not liking shitty deathcore/whatever music. No, I'm not close-minded, they just suck.

Indestructible
11-25-2010, 04:02 PM
What pisses me off is when people call me close-minded for not liking shitty deathcore/whatever music. No, I'm not close-minded, they just suck.

That pisses me off too. People have the nerve to call me a poser and not a true metalhead because I don't like deathcore. I know I get shit on this board for some of the bands I listen to, but atleast all of you know I have good metal knowledge and I am not a poser.

Derelict
11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
What am I doing, laying on the couch being lazy after eating a bunch of stuff, because that is what you do on thanksgiving.

Couldn't have said it better myself

BloodoftheKings
11-25-2010, 08:06 PM

This.

I've been labeled close minded by some dumbasses just for liking metal. Then I bring up how I listen to much more different styles of music then they do and they say "yeah but you listen to growling screamo stuff" at that point I dont even bring up how I barely listen to any bands with growling because i would have an easier time trying to explain it to a brick wall. :tp:

makethemsuffer12
11-25-2010, 08:15 PM
I hate people like that, one guy actually told me that he would beat the shit out of me in the pit if he ever saw me at a concert, all because I hate bands like whitechapel.

Those are deathcore fans for ya.

Which reminds me, does anyone remember that tool Oxblood666?

ChildrenofSodom
11-25-2010, 08:26 PM
You know whats metal? Eating a bunch of food and taking a nap...that's what Vikings did.

BloodoftheKings
11-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Which reminds me, does anyone remember that tool Oxblood666?

Just by that I can tell he's a tool.

mankvill
11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
You know whats metal? Eating a bunch of food and taking a nap...that's what Vikings did.

Vikings and, seemingly, the Vikings.

xStructualDefect
11-25-2010, 11:54 PM

yeah i'm fine with that, of course death/metalcore isn't for everyone. juss saying that if you were the type of person that would say stuff like ohh you're not a true metalhead because you ALSO like mainstream metal and you could ONLY like tr00 metal, then i'd get pretty annoyed.

i cut out some metalheads in my life within the past year because of this. i actually started listening to metal/deathcore AFTER i got into extreme metal, so they thought i was turning into a poser for liking that type of metal. it seemed like their lives revolved around telling people what's tr00 and what's not. losers.

Crionics
11-26-2010, 07:14 AM

This!

idrinkwine732
11-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Mourning.

Sepultura69
11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
one guy actually told me that he would beat the shit out of me in the pit if he ever saw me at a concert, all because I hate bands like whitechapel.

How is that a bad thing? :confused:

Whitechapel is a horrible band. I saw them open up for carcass and i only lasted maybe 20-30 seconds before I went back outside with the rest of my friends to go smoke and socialize. Who ever told you this is probably some 14 year old faggcore sophomore in high school who swings his fits and does cartwheels at concerts :cool:

God, I hate those type of people. I've seen a couple of those types of people at thrash shows and they don't last for no more then 3 seconds in the pits cause they get annihilated and sculled for doing that type of shit :rocker:

Indestructible
11-26-2010, 09:44 AM
How is that a bad thing? :confus Who ever told you this is probably some 14 year old faggcore sophomore in high school who swings his fits and does cartwheels at concerts :cool:

The guy who said that, his facebook profile said he was 20. I don't care if you like whitechapel, but it's fans like that, that will cause me to make fun of the band more.

Sepultura69
11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't care if you like whitechapel, but it's fans like that, that will cause me to make fun of the band more.

either way.....Whitechapel sucks...end of story :cool:

xStructualDefect
11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
God, I hate those type of people. I've seen a couple of those types of people at thrash shows and they don't last for no more then 3 seconds in the pits cause they get annihilated and sculled for doing that type of shit :rocker:

cool story broseph

mankvill
11-26-2010, 01:47 PM
cool story broseph

cool meme, bro

Indestructible
11-26-2010, 02:57 PM

May your last concert for a while be a great one.

xStructualDefect
11-26-2010, 03:10 PM
May your last concert for a while be a great one.

thanks a lot dude. i'm actually gonna try to get a leave date in august or september so i can have one last summer.

Sepultura69
11-26-2010, 03:23 PM
cool story broseph

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/6488/original/fgsfds.png?1248707785

jd091
11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
cool meme, bro

You dun goof'd. Consequences will never be the same.

DethMaiden
11-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Currently writing a paper with no thesis that I know of. Hopefully when I read back through it I'll find one.

larvtard
11-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Currently writing a paper with no thesis that I know of. Hopefully when I read back through it I'll find one.

Have you finished the paper yet? When I write papers, the thesis usually appears in the conclusion. That's my writing style for ya.

DethMaiden
11-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Have you finished the paper yet? When I write papers, the thesis usually appears in the conclusion. That's my writing style for ya.

Ha, just finished it. I tied it together in the conclusion based on what I had already written. Poor planning, not proud of it. Paper turned out okay though, I think.

Indestructible
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Ha, just finished it. I tied it together in the conclusion based on what I had already written. Poor planning, not proud of it. Paper turned out okay though, I think.

What is your paper about?

DethMaiden
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
What is your paper about?

Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's not interesting. I promise.

SomewhereInTime72
11-28-2010, 09:47 PM

All's well that ends well. :cool:

Fires Of Sedition
11-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Rest In Peace Leslie Nielsen :(

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20445526,00.html

Sepultura69
11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Rest In Peace Leslie Nielsen :(

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20445526,00.html

The Naked Gun movies where some of my favorite films during my early childhood years :(

Wizzbang11
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
:freak::freak::freak::freak::freak::freak: (http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7473206-anticipation-builds-for-dec-2-nasa-news-conference-on-astrobiology-finding-related-to-extraterrestrial-life)

Sepultura69
11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
:freak::freak::freak::freak::freak::freak: (http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7473206-anticipation-builds-for-dec-2-nasa-news-conference-on-astrobiology-finding-related-to-extraterrestrial-life)

:confused:

Wizzbang11
11-30-2010, 02:35 PM
CLICK THEM

JRA
11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
So I tried out Wendy's so called "new fries" tonight. Verdict? They taste like McDonalds fries.

Now McDonalds fries are good, but old Wendys' were better.

makethemsuffer12
11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
So I tried out Wendy's so called "new fries" tonight. Verdict? They taste like McDonalds fries.

Bullshit. Wendy's fries weren't bad, but half the time they were soggy and nasty. I want to try the new ones.

JRA
11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I kind of liked them a little soggy.

xStructualDefect
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
CLICK THEM

you sir are an asshole. i got curious so i looked and it crashed the computer i was using at school.

Div
11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
you sir are an asshole. i got curious so i looked and it crashed the computer i was using at school.

schools always have shitty computers, its a legit site so dont worry about clicking it at your home pc.

not much info tho, hopefully something cool follows up on thursday :freak:

idrinkwine732
11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Writing the most metal essay for college.

mankvill
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM

I wrote a paper for English arguing why I thought Slayer was the most influential metal band ever!

Indestructible
11-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Fast food is gross.

larvtard
11-30-2010, 06:43 PM

you mean your application essay? mine was about metal as well haha

jd091
11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Fast food is gross.

Yet, strangely, 5 guys is amazing and orgasmic.

Wizzbang11
11-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Same here hahaha

idrinkwine732
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM

This is my first one about metal, but I'm totally confident in talking about how it's shaped my life. I'll probably do a few more.

larvtard
11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
This is my first one about metal, but I'm totally confident in talking about how it's shaped my life. I'll probably do a few more.
Same here hahaha

That's awesome :lol:
The fact that you guys thought of the same topic as I did just further points to the extent to which "metalheads" are devoted to metal. I mean, my essay kinda stressed the fact that, to me, metal is more than just music, it's a way of life. Of course I exaggerated a bit there, but not that much.

I worked on my app essay for about 3 months... seriously. Also, if you have a good Lit/Writing teacher, get him/her to read it. My teacher went over three separate drafts with me.

idrinkwine732
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
That's awesome :lol:
The fact that you guys thought of the same topic as I did just further points to the extent to which "metalheads" are devoted to metal. I mean, my essay kinda stressed the fact that, to me, metal is more than just music, it's a way of life. Of course I exaggerated a bit there, but not that much.

I worked on my app essay for about 3 months... seriously. Also, if you have a good Lit/Writing teacher, get him/her to read it. My teacher went over three separate drafts with me.

I feel like it's something I can articulate very well, and since I feel like I can make my maturity and emotion come through in an essay, this was a match made in heaven.

JRA
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Fast food is gross.

So is Alex Jones's schizophrenia.

Speaking of schizophrenia, can somebody explain to me how Christopher Robin got classified as this when it comes to Pooh characters?

larvtard
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I feel like it's something I can articulate very well, and since I feel like I can make my maturity and emotion come through in an essay, this was a match made in heaven.

yeah, same here.

Sepultura69
12-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Just got back from Rodger Waters: The Wall gig. Easily the best show of 2010 for me and one of the most epic concerts I have ever been to. The visuals and animations where unbelievable. Holy shit..

Natrlhi
12-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Yet, strangely, 5 guys is amazing and orgasmic.
:agree: Fuck yes. :fist:

Fires Of Sedition
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Just sent in my application to Oklahoma State University for the Spring 2011 semester. :snivel:

ChildrenofSodom
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Just sent in my application to Oklahoma State University for the Spring 2011 semester. :snivel:

Wrong OSU. ;)

mankvill
12-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Correct OSU. ;)

TonyD
12-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Blabbermouth:
Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will enter Atlantis studios (formerly Metronome studios) in Stockholm on January 31, 2011 to begin recording their tenth album for a fall 2011 release via Roadrunner Records. Jens Bogren (SOILWORK, KATATONIA, PARADISE LOST, BLOODBATH) will engineer the effort while mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE). The new material has been described by the band as "good."
lawl

DethMaiden
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Also, awesome. New Opeth. :fist:

Indestructible
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm in my school lounge blasting Exodus.

TonyD
12-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Also, awesome. New Opeth. :fist:

That too, but that one made my morning after pulling an all nighter :hecho:

xStructualDefect
12-03-2010, 02:28 PM
i've been listening to A LOT of Strapping Young Lad in the past month. so if makethemsuffer reads this, thanks a lot for the recommendation. they are definitely a metal band i was looking for. a good band that doesn't sound like i've heard it 2342345x before.

TonyD
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Good shit. I've definitely had a month or two where anythin non-devy sounded like shit to me.

makethemsuffer12
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
i've been listening to A LOT of Strapping Young Lad in the past month. so if makethemsuffer reads this, thanks a lot for the recommendation. they are definitely a metal band i was looking for. a good band that doesn't sound like i've heard it 2342345x before.

:fist:

In other news, something tells me that this isn't going to end well...

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/seoul-threatens-to-bomb-north-korea-us-japan-launch-drills/19743027#gcpDiscussPageUrlAnchor=&gcpCommentsWidget%5Bp%5D=2&gcpCommentsWidget%5Bs%5D=new

daimonos
12-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Good shit man. I highly recommend any of Dev's solo stuff too. The man is made up of 100% musical genius. I also recommend watching live performances of SYL, particularly Download 2006, to get an idea of what their shows were like :lol:

BloodoftheKings
12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
In other news, something tells me that this isn't going to end well...

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/seoul-threatens-to-bomb-north-korea-us-japan-launch-drills/19743027#gcpDiscussPageUrlAnchor=&gcpCommentsWidget%5Bp%5D=2&gcpCommentsWidget%5Bs%5D=new

Why must we always get involved in this shit.

ChildrenofSodom
12-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Just got back from a party. I took this chick I've been chasing for 10 weeks. Went pretty well, I think. Gonna try to gauge the relationship in the next few weeks.....we text alot, really hit it off after I had a few beers in me.

jd091
12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Just got back from a party. I took this chick I've been chasing for 10 weeks. Went pretty well, I think. Gonna try to gauge the relationship in the next few weeks.....we text alot, really hit it off after I had a few beers in me.

It's not rape is she blinks twice :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
It's not rape is she blinks twice :lol:

There were lots of sexual violence jokes last night....We were walking back to campus and had to pass through an alley. She said, "We can go this way as long as I don't get raped in this alley." And I said, "No promises." ;)

Also, a new one for my stand-up: So, the housing market is still in shambles, right? Home prices are super low, no one can afford to buy a new house cause they can't sell their old one. I cause there's a positive side to all this mess: now I can afford to commit sexual offenses. Yah know how you can't live within a certain radius of a school or Chuckie Cheese if you're a sex offender? Well with all these cheap houses sittin' around, its never been easier to just pack up and move a few blocks away. I can do or touch anything I want, drop a few thousand on a foreclosure, and be back in the game in a few weeks.

JRA
12-04-2010, 11:10 AM

took? what are we in shakespearean times?

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2010, 11:50 AM
took? what are we in shakespearean times?

What? I took a girl to a party. She didn't know anyone there, I was going, I asked her if she wanted to go, she said yes, I took her with me. What's the problem?

I didn't "take" her, as in "bedding" her.

JRA
12-04-2010, 12:45 PM
What? I took a girl to a party. She didn't know anyone there, I was going, I asked her if she wanted to go, she said yes, I took her with me. What's the problem?

I didn't "take" her, as in "bedding" her.

Just making sure I was reading it right. The "chasing for 10 weeks" sounds like that's how you put it.

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Just making sure I was reading it right. The "chasing for 10 weeks" sounds like that's how you put it.

We shared a turkey leg, but did not explore the realm betwixt the sheets.

DethMaiden
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
We shared a turkey leg, but did not explore the realm betwixt the sheets.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge Wikipedia page reference. Nice.

Today, I picked up my 2010 Chevy Aveo, drove it home, and had an email telling me I'm the new editor of WEEKEND, the entertainment/pop culture/nightlife/whatever weekly I work for at school. Good day. :D

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Today, I picked up my 2010 Chevy Aveo, drove it home, and had an email telling me I'm the new editor of WEEKEND, the entertainment/pop culture/nightlife/whatever weekly I work for at school. Good day. :D

I already knew about the car, but fucking congrats on the new editorship, dude!

JRA
12-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Samuel Taylor Coleridge Wikipedia page reference. Nice.

Fuckin wonderful, now we have even less time to do stuff.

But seriously...:party::party::party::party::party:

mankvill
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
You say Soulja Boy-I say Avenged Sevenfold
You say Miley Cyrus-I say Slipknot
You say T-Pain-I say Bullet For My Valentine
You say Flowers-I say Metallica
You say Pink-I say Iron Maiden
You say Hip Hop-i say shut the fuck up
You say Pop-I scream Heavy Metal!!!
You say Hannah Montana-i hit you in the face
92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop.
If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,copy and paste this message to your status. or click like. DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF METAL DIE!!!!

DethMaiden
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,copy and paste this message to your status. or click like. DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF METAL DIE!!!!

LOL

I fucking hate metalheads. Every goddamn metal YouTube video has something about how it's better than Justin Bieber. Who cares? Shut up.

mankvill
12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
LOL

I fucking hate metalheads. Every goddamn metal YouTube video has something about how it's better than Justin Bieber. Who cares? Shut up.

>metalheads

makethemsuffer12
12-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I fucking hate poser metalheads.

Fixed.

But yeah, that shit is fucking gaytarded.

Crionics
12-05-2010, 12:23 PM

That things still around?

BloodoftheKings
12-05-2010, 12:33 PM

I hate those stupid kids. I'd rather listen to T-Pain then BFMV. Here's my version.
You say Avenged Sevenfold-I vomit
You say Slipknot-I say whatever
You say Bullet For My Valentine-I say "why am I talking to this stupid 12 year old"
You say Metallica-I say just old Metallica
You say Iron Maiden-I say "do you know any songs besides run to the hills and number of the beast?"
You say Hip Hop-i say yeah I do like hip hop. Problem?
You scream Heavy Metal!!!-I say shut up
You say Hannah Montana-i hit you in the face-Why would you hit a 6 year old girl?

rjturtle9
12-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I hate those stupid kids. I'd rather listen to T-Pain then BFMV. Here's my version.
You say Avenged Sevenfold-I vomit
You say Slipknot-I say whatever
You say Bullet For My Valentine-I say "why am I talking to this stupid 12 year old"
You say Metallica-I say just old Metallica
You say Iron Maiden-I say "do you know any songs besides run to the hills and number of the beast?"
You say Hip Hop-i say yeah I do like hip hop. Problem?
You scream Heavy Metal!!!-I say shut up
You say Hannah Montana-i hit you in the face-Why would you hit a 6 year old girl?

Seriously, I thought this died along with myspace.

Derelict
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm glad I'm old when I read shit like this

makethemsuffer12
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM

ya da tr00per

rjturtle9
12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
ya da tr00per

fear of the dark. Love newer Maiden!

TonyD
12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
fear of the dark. Love newer Maiden!

ChildrenofSodom
12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
On every metal video and country video, people comment "I'm tired of this rap stuff." You know they want to say "n*gg*r music" so badly......No one goes to the Selena Gomez or Justin Bieber videos and says "Yeah, this is good shit. Better than that Nachtmystium or Sepultura bullshit."

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
n*gg*r

Are you joking

ChildrenofSodom
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Are you joking

About what? I'm not black, I don't really like to use that word. Problem?

ChildrenofSodom
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9209/trollre.png

Thompson is the library at OSU. Its finals week and study spaces are hard to come by. I love trolling. :D

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM

You're still using the word.
Blocking out 2 characters doesn't change it's meaning or impact peoples ability to understand it. You just make them say nigger in their head while they read it. What does that accomplish?

mankvill
12-05-2010, 04:37 PM

nukka music*

Travis The Dragon
12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
You know what I don't get? My sister's most favorite metal bands are Underoath, Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, and Emery, yet she thinks bands like Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax completely suck! I'm glad she likes some form of metal and not hiphop bullshit, but to think that bands MUCH MORE talented suck?

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
You know what I don't get? My sister's most favorite metal bands are Underoath, Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, and Emery, yet she thinks bands like Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax completely suck! I'm glad she likes some form of metal and not hiphop bullshit, but to think that bands MUCH MORE talented suck?

Those bands don't sound like Maiden, Metallica etc.
Why would that surprise you?

Travis The Dragon
12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
They still have a "hardcore" metal sound to them. I would think that if someone likes those bands, they would also enjoy more talented "hardcore" bands.

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
They still have a "hardcore" metal sound to them. I would think that if someone likes those bands, they would also enjoy more talented "hardcore" bands.

People suck dude. Who cares what bands they listen to.

BloodoftheKings
12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

I hate when people say hip hop or rap in general when talking about bad music. Maybe if you say todays rap or the stuff on hit radio, when you say hip hop bullshit you are implying that Devil Wears Prada and Underoath are better then Public Enemy and NWA.

JRA
12-05-2010, 05:25 PM
The word nukka offends me even more and it should offend black people as much as it offends me.

BloodoftheKings
12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
People suck dude. Who cares what bands they listen to.

mankvill
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
The word nukka offends me even more and it should offend black people as much as it offends me.

wat.jpg

Crionics
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Taking the SAT tommorrow, wish me luck!

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
wat.jpg

He is jewish, so the word nigger might be offensive to him.

makethemsuffer12
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM

lulz

ChildrenofSodom
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Blocking out 2 characters doesn't change it's meaning or impact peoples ability to understand it. You just make them say nigger in their head while they read it. What does that accomplish?

1) Thank you Louis CK/George Carlin.
2) My post had nothing to do with you, it didn't address anything you said, and I didn't solicit your opinion. Kindly fuck off. I don't censor myself for your sake, I do it for my own conscience.

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
My post had nothing to do with you, it didn't address anything you said, and I didn't solicit your opinion. Kindly fuck off. I don't censor myself for your sake, I do it for my own conscience.

But you posted it...on a general forum.

Sepultura69
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I hate when people say hip hop or rap in general when talking about bad music. Maybe if you say todays rap or the stuff on hit radio, when you say hip hop bullshit you are implying that Devil Wears Prada and Underoath are better then Public Enemy and NWA.

Todays generation has been succumbed to shitbags like LIL WAYNE, Rick Ross, that one one fool from that kids show Degrassi forgot his name(Drake I think) 50 cent, G Unit, that Black Eyed Peas Ferggie Shit.

When I think of Hip Hop I think of Marley Marl, Krs One, WU TANG CLAN, Public Enemy, Mobb Deep, NWA, Organized Konfusion, A Tribe Called quest, Immortal Technique, The Pharcyde, Showbiz and A.G. Cypress Hill The list goes on:cool:

87-95 best years of rap/hip hop :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM
But you posted it...on a general forum.

What is your point? Why are we having this discussion? This matters very little to your life, and it matters even less to me.

BloodoftheKings
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Another lulzy poser copy pasta:

Avenged Sevenfold REVOLUTION on Christmas all of Avenged Sevenfold fans are going to watch a7x's Nightmare video on youtube which curently has 8,127,214 Justin(asshole) biebers baby has 402,151,884 views which is a disrespectful thing to real musicians like a7x.So everyone get together, click on Nightmare, refresh your page 1000 times to give it 1000 more views. Lets beta this bieber disease COPY & PASTE THUMBS UP IF YOU READ THIS DONT VIEW BIEBERS VID only on Nightmare!

Travis The Dragon
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Ya, I meant the stuff on radio today. Not the greats like you mentioned. :)

idrinkwine732
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Good luck

But take the ACT instead ;)

Maiden33
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Gotta be honest, I think this is kinda correct.

Derelict
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Good luck bro

ChildrenofSodom
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Gotta be honest, I think this is kinda correct.

Yes, it is right...but like I said, I don't give a fuck if you or this guy says or thinks the word. I don't like to say it myself.

JRA
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Watching Busy Street shit their diapers over TGWTG charity drive. :lol: :lol:

Crionics
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Taking a test for 7 hours isn't very fun.

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Glad I didn't take the SAT. ACT was only about four hours. Went to the flea market after with plenty of day left. :lol:

Currently trying to decide if my vest would sell for more with the patches and pins pieced out or as one unit. Thoughts?

And yes, I'm strongly considering selling my vest. It's just kind of impractical for me to own at this point.

Maiden33
12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Mike Mangini has canceled all of his lessons for the month of January 2011. Rumors are thusly now circulating about him being the new Dream Theater drummer.

Wizzbang11
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Glad I didn't take the SAT. ACT was only about four hours. Went to the flea market after with plenty of day left. :lol:

Currently trying to decide if my vest would sell for more with the patches and pins pieced out or as one unit. Thoughts?

And yes, I'm strongly considering selling my vest. It's just kind of impractical for me to own at this point.

A. :(
B. It really, really depends on the patches. If you like a lot of stuff that fits in a variety of 'metal' genres and the patches you have reflect that, it's doubtful you'd find someone with the exact same taste as you. Say, if you had exclusively crust bands, you'd have a much better shot than some thrash, punk, doom etc.
Also keep in mind the limitation of said patched. I've got a few that are limited to 100 or less copies, that has a niche market and would be much wiser, even if you remove those specific ones to sell individually on ebay.
The material also counts. If they are embroidered you will have a good shot at selling them individually. Cloth, doubtful. Those things are really worth not more than $2.00 new and used I can't imagine selling them anywhere other than a garage sale.

Oh, and buying a vest with some other guys patches is very lame.

One more thing- black denim is harder to come by than blue. I'm not really sure about other colors, but I know since I got my black denim jacket a few years ago for like $15 it's gotten a bit more expensive.

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna take 'em off and sell 'em piece by piece. They're almost all embroidered and should fetch decent amounts. I'll probably put 'em in lots by genre.

I'm going to buy another impractical piece of patch-based clothing though, the plan is to get a green Army-issue jacket and sew patches of all the flags of countries I've been to on the back and use one o' them fancy sewing machines that can sew numbers and letters to put the year I first visited them all as captions on the patches.

So it'll look like

USA 1990
Canada 2008
Germany 2008
Austria 2008
Czech Republic 2008
United Kingdom 2011
Ireland 2011
Spain 2011
Hungary 2011
China 2012

if all my plans go through.

jd091
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Just checkin' out some hot babes! Oh ya!

These are the only hot babes I know:

http://www.vheadline.com/graf/Gossow_192932.jpg

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/landminemarathon/kimos/1.jpg

:party:

evildeadjedi
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Todays generation has been succumbed to shitbags like LIL WAYNE, Rick Ross, that one one fool from that kids show Degrassi forgot his name(Drake I think) 50 cent, G Unit, that Black Eyed Peas Ferggie Shit.

When I think of Hip Hop I think of Marley Marl, Krs One, WU TANG CLAN, Public Enemy, Mobb Deep, NWA, Organized Konfusion, A Tribe Called quest, Immortal Technique, The Pharcyde, Showbiz and A.G. Cypress Hill The list goes on:cool:

87-95 best years of rap/hip hop :fist:

Exactly, I would also add De La Soul, Digital Underground, Run DMC, Dead Prez, and Grandmaster Flash.

Basically the only good hip hop groups past 2000 besides those mentioned above were Jurassic 5, The Roots and Outkast.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM
^^^Hot and talented.

These babes as well: http://www.theironmaidens.com/

BloodoftheKings
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
^^^Hot and talented.

These babes as well: http://www.theironmaidens.com/

You ever see this one?

http://www.myspace.com/judaspriestessband

zgodt
12-06-2010, 07:56 PM

He's making the point that a lot of people's hate on rap and hiphop comes from a racist place.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Basically the only good hip hop groups past 2000 besides those mentioned above were Jurassic 5, The Roots and Outkast.

False. There's plenty of great hiphop around in 2010, but why would you know that unless you've actively gone looking for it?

Wizzbang11
12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
He's making the point that a lot of people's hate on rap and hiphop comes from a racist place.

No argument there, I just thought censoring the word was really stupid.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
No argument there, I just thought censoring the word was really stupid.

I think it makes sense as a white person to tread extremely cautiously around that word.

evildeadjedi
12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
False. There's plenty of great hiphop around in 2010, but why would you know that unless you've actively gone looking for it?

Well, honestly I'm out of the loop, if you have some stuff you recommend I would love to check them out.

MPF
12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Checking out a new song that I recorded drums for. If you guys are interested in checking it out it's a song called Chant:

http://www.facebook.com/Flipmind

*Warning, it's not Metal*

BloodoftheKings
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I dont get whats so bad about using the word nigger if your not using it in racist terms. Like if a white man says "nigger is a bad word" whats wrong with that?

larvtard
12-06-2010, 08:19 PM

You must have had extended time. I got 100% because I'm a slow-as-fuck test taker, but fortunately it was split across 2 days.

jd091
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM

My biggest beef with rap and hip-hop is that its more poetry than "music". I come from a musical background, playing the cello and then the guitar. I usually judge bands or groups by their musical prowess and song structure. Metal is so great because its got some of the most talented musicians and beautiful song structures in any genre of music I can think of, save classical composers.

I just find myself bored halfway through rap songs because I feel the music is repeating itself, and unoriginal. I do appreciate lyrically what they do; I think its great. Better than fuckin' modern rock, with like 3 chords and shitty singing. The musicality AND lyrics suck behind all that. And rap is kind of like a chill-out style, not giving me that adrenaline rush that a great metal riff gives. Meh.

ChildrenofSodom
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
My biggest beef with rap and hip-hop is that its more poetry than "music". I come from a musical background, playing the cello and then the guitar. I usually judge bands or groups by their musical prowess and song structure. Metal is so great because its got some of the most talented musicians and beautiful song structures in any genre of music I can think of, save classical composers.

I just find myself bored halfway through rap songs because I feel the music is repeating itself, and unoriginal. I do appreciate lyrically what they do; I think its great. Better than fuckin' modern rock, with like 3 chords and shitty singing. The musicality AND lyrics suck behind all that. And rap is kind of like a chill-out style, not giving me that adrenaline rush that a great metal riff gives. Meh.

That's a fair criticism. (Good) rap is supposed to focus on the message, over a solid beat.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Well, honestly I'm out of the loop, if you have some stuff you recommend I would love to check them out.

A couple things that come to mind are Idris Goodwin, Lupe Fiasco, and Talib Kweli. Kweli's recent song "Ballad of the Black Gold" is phenomenal. Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor album from a couple of years back is one of the best hip hop records I've heard. And Idris is great.

I'm no expert myself -- but I know some people who are. Give me some time and I can try to pull some further recommendations together. Maybe after the holidays. :)

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Metal is so great because its got some of the most talented musicians and beautiful song structures in any genre of music I can think of, save classical composers.

What about bands like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, and Rush?

zgodt
12-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I dont get whats so bad about using the word nigger if your not using it in racist terms. Like if a white man says "nigger is a bad word" whats wrong with that?

Thank you for your question.

It's tricky territory. Is it even possible for a white person to say that word in non-racist terms? Is it possible for any non-white person to hear it in non-racist terms? There is so much history weighing down that word, and so many people still using it today in its full bigoted, racist context, that I don't understand what would compel a white person to attempt to use it in a "non-racist" way. It's simple enough to avoid it.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
You ever see this one?

http://www.myspace.com/judaspriestessband

Ya, they're really good too. And sexy!

Div
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM

It's tricky territory. Is it even possible for a white person to say that word in non-racist terms? Is it possible for any non-white person to hear it in non-racist terms? There is so much history weighing down that word, and so many people still using it today in its full bigoted, racist context, that I don't understand what would compel a white person to attempt to use it in a "non-racist" way. It's simple enough to avoid it.

What about in a cultural way, like emulating rappers or "hood" behavior, but not necessarily meaning it in a racist way?

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM

I suppose if there are white people who are REALLY good friends with black people then they could get away with it.

Actually, I think black people are the real racists, against white people that is. They can have BET(Black Entertainment Television) and anything else with blacks ONLY, but if a white person does that, they're called racists. There are other examples of black racism, but I can't think of them.

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I suppose if there are white people who are REALLY good friends with black people then they could get away with it.

Actually, I think black people are the real racists, against white people that is. They can have BET(Black Entertainment Television) and anything else with blacks ONLY, but if a white person does that, they're called racists. There are other examples of black racism, but I can't think of them.

You need to stop dead in your tracks.

Correction: You need to walk about 50 feet backwards.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
You need to stop dead in your tracks.

Correction: You need to walk about 50 feet backwards.

It's the truth. Sometimes reality is a hard thing to face.

Wizzbang11
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM

I hope you're joking.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I hope you're joking.

I am dead serious.

Wizzbang11
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I am dead serious.

Ok serious question that will determine my response:
Are you autistic?

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok serious question that will determine my response:
Are you autistic?

No, I am not.

powerslave_85
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
There already is White Entertainment Television. It's called every fucking channel.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
There already is White Entertainment Television. It's called every fucking channel.

Yes, but every show has black people in them. If they didn't, they would be considered racist, but if there are shows with no white people and ONLY black people, they're not considered racist.

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Dude, dude, dude. How can someone believe this? My mind is reeling.

Wizzbang11
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM

I have not come up with a proper response yet, I'm just.
Baffled.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM

There's nothing to believe. It's a FACT.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I hear you. I was a purist for a long time about respecting only music which was made by live human hands playing physical instruments. I loathed keyboards/synthesizers in the 80s, and couldn't stand drum machines for ages. So music built on samples and electronic beats wasn't an easy sell.

But there IS a lot of artistry to producing a good hip hop track -- creating the beats, composing instrumentation and/or curating samples and using them effectively, etc. There's a lot of history behind it, going back to Grandmaster Flash's invention of the remix, and all the old DJ techniques from the foundational days of hiphop. It is a form of musicianship, albeit a different form than bowing a cello.

And there are hip hop artists who play live instruments, and play them well -- most notably The Roots (which is one reason why they have consistently been one of my favorite hip hop acts).

Not to mention, of course, the lyrics, which have been the most inventive and poignant of any popular genre over the last 30 years.

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
This goes way beyond GOD DAMMIT FONZY.

This is YOU'RE A GOD DAMN RACIST FONZY.

Div
12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm a racist for telling the harsh truth? If you say so.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8554/1291151770650.png

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
This goes way beyond GOD DAMMIT FONZY.

This is YOU'RE A GOD DAMN RACIST FONZY.

I'm a racist for telling the harsh truth? If you say so.

IrritatedTrout
12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
lol People are too easily offended by the viewpoints of others.

Maiden33
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Please let this keep going.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, but every show has black people in them. If they didn't, they would be considered racist, but if there are shows with no white people and ONLY black people, they're not considered racist.

(a) If this were true, I would not have a problem with it. We don't live in a culture in which black people are privileged and considered "normal," while white people are excluded and considered "other." We DO live in a culture in which white people are privileged and considered normal, while black people are excluded and considered other. So there is no equivalence when we judge our popular culture. Shows full of black people with no white characters are NOT necessarily racist, while shows full of white people with no black characters ARE most likely racist.

(b) It is so far from true.

Travis The Dragon
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
A show with NO white people is racist agains whites just like a show with NO black people is racists against blacks.

Damn, I can't find the other examples I want to show you all. Oh well.

Sepultura69
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM

A show with NO white people is racist agains whites just like a show with NO black people is racists against blacks.

Damn, I can't find the other examples I want to show you all. Oh well.

You do realize that you are a complete idiot?....right?

jd091
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
You do realize that you are a complete idiot?....right?

Woah, I think everyone's overreacting a bit. Being white, and having black friends, I understand what fonz is trying to say. Many times my bros try and crack a racist joke against themselves (a la, "Lost your wallet? I probably stole it" or "I don't work between school, I deal drugs!). It's really not that funny, because they're playing into this stereotype that brings them down. I can't say something like, "I'm white and affluent and can afford my classes instead of my mommy getting welfare!" to them. They take that as personal offense, which is very understandable given the cultural context.

fonz does have a point, though. Most modern "white" shows/sitcoms always have another ethnicity thrown in, whether it be black, hispanic, asian, etc. (Modern Family, The Office, any CSI... true; many main characters are white, but so is most of America). There are (to my knowledge) not as big a mix of ethnicities on black shows/movies nowadays. Just look at Tyler Perry's stuff...

...but Tyler Perry's stuff is a celebration of their unique culture. Personally, being white, young, and not exposed to much true racism in my life, it seems counterintuitive to be held to a standard like this. fonz's point that there is counter-racism nowadays (i.e., blacks agianst whites) is a valid point (or invalid) based on your definition of racism. I had to sit through a class of this, trust me. But are those shows meant to be racist? No. They are just able to get away with stuff an all-white show would be subjugated to due to skin color, and our cultural association with it.

In the end, fonz is quite blunt, and maybe too assuming in his views. But I would be lying if I said I hadn't felt what he's getting at while watching TV every once in a while. Is it a big deal? No. Let black people have their shows; its when they perpetuate stereotypes that annoys me. The reactions you guys are giving him is like fonz said, "I hate blacks because they're inferior", which isn't what he was implying. Debate: continue!

zgodt
12-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Woah, I think everyone's overreacting a bit. Being white, and having black friends, I understand what fonz is trying to say. Many times my bros try and crack a racist joke against themselves (a la, "Lost your wallet? I probably stole it" or "I don't work between school, I deal drugs!). It's really not that funny, because they're playing into this stereotype that brings them down. I can't say something like, "I'm white and affluent and can afford my classes instead of my mommy getting welfare!" to them. They take that as personal offense, which is very understandable given the cultural context.

fonz does have a point, though. Most modern "white" shows/sitcoms always have another ethnicity thrown in, whether it be black, hispanic, asian, etc. (Modern Family, The Office, any CSI... true; many main characters are white, but so is most of America). There are (to my knowledge) not as big a mix of ethnicities on black shows/movies nowadays. Just look at Tyler Perry's stuff...

...but Tyler Perry's stuff is a celebration of their unique culture. Personally, being white, young, and not exposed to much true racism in my life, it seems counterintuitive to be held to a standard like this. fonz's point that there is counter-racism nowadays (i.e., blacks agianst whites) is a valid point (or invalid) based on your definition of racism. I had to sit through a class of this, trust me. But are those shows meant to be racist? No. They are just able to get away with stuff an all-white show would be subjugated to due to skin color, and our cultural association with it.

In the end, fonz is quite blunt, and maybe too assuming in his views. But I would be lying if I said I hadn't felt what he's getting at while watching TV every once in a while. Is it a big deal? No. Let black people have their shows; its when they perpetuate stereotypes that annoys me. The reactions you guys are giving him is like fonz said, "I hate blacks because they're inferior", which isn't what he was implying. Debate: continue!

OMG! jd091 said he hates blacks because they're inferior! :eek:

Ahem. Sorry about that. :eyes:

However, in all seriousness -- I know you mean well, but counterpoints need to be made.

(1) Any time a white person enters a discussion about race by mentioning his/her "black friends," red flags go up. It's actually kind of a cliche of clueless racist white people. Just google the phrase "I have black friends" and you'll see what I mean.

(2) It's not really a white dude's place to criticize the way his black friends "perpetuate stereotypes." Black people are smart enough to figure out the context and significance of their statements and behaviors without white people pointing them out. If your black friends are making jokes that seem to you to be counter-intuitive, they are most likely doing so ironically to make fun of racism, not of black people.

(3) This statement -- "Most modern "white" shows/sitcoms always have another ethnicity thrown in, whether it be black, hispanic, asian, etc." -- is rife with problems. For one thing, it groups together all nonwhite people as equal and interchangeable, as if black people should be satisfied when there's an Asian character, and so on. For another thing, there's the phrase "thrown in," as if the natural order would be for these shows' casts to be exclusively white, but someone haphazardly added a minority to the mix to meet some artificial PC quota.

Do you see why putting it that way is a problem?

TV shows shouldn't be segregated any more than society should be segregated. If the only way to have minority characters on TV is for them to be "thrown in," then television really is racist. Television should be inclusive of all races, genders, religions, sexual orientations, etc.

On the other hand, a predominantly African-American television show is not racist if it excludes white characters -- because there's no shortage of white folks on television. White people have always been the favored, privileged group in American popular media, and that has not changed. (As you've pointed out, even when there are minority characters on network TV, the LEAD characters are virtually ALWAYS white.) So there's no need for "black" shows to explicitly include white people. But the same is not true in reverse -- which is why several metalsetlists contributors have taken Fonz's recent statements amiss.

Thank you for listening. :)

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Alright, glad to wake up and find this thread waiting for me. Here I go:

BET (Black Entertainment Television) was created to show black television shows and black music videos because other TV stations, such as MTV, refused to play black artists. BET was not created to glorify black artists OVER white artists. Every other station had an implicit no-blacks policy, so BET was founded to put black people on TV. I can understand why someone would think it is racist today, but back in the day it had its purpose.

And this "black people do this thing, but white people cant, how come?" attitude is really childish and annoying. So what if black people can have a TV that exclusively shows the black experience, like a Tyler Perry or Spike Lee movie? How many black people today or in the past can really relate to Friends or whatever other white-dominated sitcom? I think its stupid to say that black people aren't allowed to have show for themselves, when white people have pretty much had the entire society and entertainment industry to themselves since their advent.

So, in conclusion, we've been raised to believe that everyone is equal, no one should be treated better or worse than anyone else based on their skin color....so when Fonz sees an inequality, he thinks that inequality was created out of thin air to benefit black people. You can't ignore history, my friends.

powerslave_85
12-07-2010, 08:41 AM
other TV stations, such as MTV, refused to play black artists. Er, citation needed? Michael Jackson was black and I'm pretty sure they had no problem playing him.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Er, citation needed? Michael Jackson was black and I'm pretty sure they had no problem playing him.

I don't have it off the top of my head, but I thought that was pretty common knowledge. But let's compare Michael Jackson to Public Enemy...

EDIT - Yeah, I can't remember where I read it. Sorry.

zgodt
12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Er, citation needed? Michael Jackson was black and I'm pretty sure they had no problem playing him.

Actually, at first they did. They refused him on the basis they didn't want to cater to "fringe groups." It was only when CBS threatened to pull ALL their videos if MTV didn't play "Billie Jean" that Michael Jackson and other black artists started to get regular airplay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV#Breaking_the_color_barrier

powerslave_85
12-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Ah, thank you. I stand corrected :)

Derelict
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Anyone who has a problem with BET is free to start their own network and show what they want. Someone with money wanted to start BET, its a free goddamn country, so who gives a shit?

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Anyone who has a problem with BET is free to start their own network and show what they want. Someone with money wanted to start BET, its a free goddamn country, so who gives a shit?

I wish you could 'like' posts on here.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Thank you, hot girl in my spanish class, for waiting until the day after Finals to add me on facebook. :tp:

jd091
12-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Yeah, seriously. Nobody should care. I think criticism comes into view with some people because "White Entertainment Television" would never fly (and no without reason). Although, a "Jewish Entertainment Television" would probably work, and they're mostly white, too!

Derelict
12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah, seriously. Nobody should care. I think criticism comes into view with some people because "White Entertainment Television" would never fly (and no without reason). Although, a "Jewish Entertainment Television" would probably work, and they're mostly white, too!

There is a white entertainiment television. It's called CMT.

Derelict
I wish you could 'like' posts on here.

:cool:

mastodon421

Don't forget about CSPAN.

powerslave_85
12-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't forget about CSPAN.
False. No one watches CSPAN.

Derelict
12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
False. No one watches CSPAN.

I'm willing to bet Cameron has, at some point, watched CSPAN for enjoyment.

Div
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
really? noones giving me props for the whole "carl-sagan-time-paradox" thing? ya'll crackers need some imagination :allan:

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm willing to bet Cameron has, at some point, watched CSPAN for enjoyment.

I've never said "I wonder whats on CSPAN"...but I have been flipping through channels and seen something interesting that I stopped to watch. :eyes:

powerslave_85
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
really? noones giving me props for the whole "carl-sagan-time-paradox" thing? ya'll crackers need some imagination :allan:
Fishing for compliments is an unflattering character trait, my friend.

evildeadjedi
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
On the other hand, a predominantly African-American television show is not racist if it excludes white characters -- because there's no shortage of white folks on television. White people have always been the favored, privileged group in American popular media, and that has not changed. (As you've pointed out, even when there are minority characters on network TV, the LEAD characters are virtually ALWAYS white.) So there's no need for "black" shows to explicitly include white people. But the same is not true in reverse -- which is why several metalsetlists contributors have taken Fonz's recent statements amiss.

Thank you for listening. :)

Exactly, just look at TV commercials you find more minorities in fast food, junk food, debt consolidation, financial assistance, etc. When Minorities are featured in department store commercials they are almost always the workers and White people are almost always the shoppers. Most commercials about banks, restaurants, cars, electronics, medical, stocks, financial savings, lawyers, etc feature predominantly White people. When a minority is featured in a car commercial they're normally shown as a worker of some type. If you want to test it just pay attention to commercials for a few days. I did the study for a Sociology project last year and it was rather interesting.

larvtard
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm late here, but yeah, I too see where Fonz's coming from. He just needs a better way of articulating his opinion. Calling "counter-racism" racism is not the best way to do that :lol:

I mean, goddamn, dude. After all these years you'd think they have the right to make their own television station that's just for them. Honestly, I just think you need to find another example that's not as retarded as this one. Even if we don't agree with your perspective (and likely never will), I'm sure there's more compelling arguments out there that you could use.

jd091
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Oh god, I had completely purged the entire genre of country from my mind. Why did you remind me it exists? :bawling:

Div
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Fishing for compliments is an unflattering character trait, my friend.

>implying internet forums are to be taken with the same seriousness as formal gatherings

Sepultura69
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
But there IS a lot of artistry to producing a good hip hop track -- creating the beats, composing instrumentation and/or curating samples and using them effectively, etc. There's a lot of history behind it, going back to Grandmaster Flash's invention of the remix, and all the old DJ techniques from the foundational days of hiphop. It is a form of musicianship, albeit a different form than bowing a cello.

Not to mention, of course, the lyrics, which have been the most inventive and poignant of any popular genre over the last 30 years.

You are what me and my friends like to call a "Certified Hip hop head". Here are some great hip hop tunes with beats that use sampling and loops beautifully to PERFECTION.....

"Above the Cloud"......EPIC Loop......RIP Guru..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvta7xDo_4

"Dedicated".......I love the sampling in this song. That Bass in the very beginning is so soul full. Beautiful Beat and lyrics....Very powerful song.....Even though you say there is plenty of good hip hop today it still won't change the fact that the best years in hip hop where ultimately the 90s(HENCE why people call the 90s the golden age of hip hop)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLZ8LJvov9w

:cool:

mankvill
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
>implying internet forums are to be taken with the same seriousness as formal gatherings

Any object touching a flat surface makes contact at precisely three points.

mankvill
12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
My cousin drew my name to get me a christmas gift this year, and I was really thinking either a hat or a new jacket/hoodie. But I want it either to be a band, or videogame releated. Not "HAHA OMG 1UP VIDEOGAME CULTURE xD" but about a specific game. I wanted to get a Mass Effect "N7" hat but it's out of stock. :(

Any ideas? (AKA Hey Div I bet you know some good places for this stuff!)

Travis The Dragon
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
As usual, I need VERY good points to be made to set me straight. Jd, Zgodt, ChildrenofSodom, and Evilddeadjedi, you have made those points and I completely agree with them. Thank you. :)

Now, what else can I bring up to piss everyone off? JK! JK!

evildeadjedi
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
My cousin drew my name to get me a christmas gift this year, and I was really thinking either a hat or a new jacket/hoodie. But I want it either to be a band, or videogame releated. Not "HAHA OMG 1UP VIDEOGAME CULTURE xD" but about a specific game. I wanted to get a Mass Effect "N7" hat but it's out of stock. :(

Any ideas? (AKA Hey Div I bet you know some good places for this stuff!)

Band stuff:

http://www.fearshop.com/

http://www.rockabilia.com/

http://www.star500.com/

http:
//www.indiemerchstore.com/?c=83 (http://www.indiemerchstore.com/?c=83)

http://www.metalmerchant.com/index_tmm.asp?ID=

http://www.catacombscds.com/

http://www.shirthunt.com/

Video games:

http://www.nerdyshirts.com/

http://www.myteespot.com/Video-Games-p-1-c-125-all.html

http://www.teesforall.com/Video_Games-m-all_14.html

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
As usual, I need VERY good points to be made to set me straight. Jd, Zgodt, ChildrenofSodom, and Evilddeadjedi, you have made those points and I completely agree with them. Thank you. :)

Now, what else can I bring up to piss everyone off? JK! JK!

Just keep posting, and you'll achieve your goal.

Indestructible
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
What does everyone think about wikileaks and their founder Julian Assange being arrested on rape charges? I don't know if he did the crime or not. Either he did do the crime or the government is arresting him because they do not like what is being released. Those are my thoughts. ChildrenOfSodom you're into politics, any thoughts?

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 04:16 PM
What does everyone think about wikileaks and their founder Julian Assange being arrested on rape charges? I don't know if he did the crime or not. Either he did do the crime or the government is arresting him because they do not like what is being released. Those are my thoughts. ChildrenOfSodom you're into politics, any thoughts?

1) If he raped someone, he should go to prison. No question about it. Let's not make a conspiracy where there isn't one.
2) Wikileaks should be shut down anyway. It's a disgrace to journalism. You do NOT publish materials that threaten national security in a clear and present way. 'Nuff said. Wikileaks risks good journalists across the country having less leash from the courts by doing some of the stupid shit they do.