PDA

View Full Version : Gojira -- New York, NY -- May 6th, 2009

Polock91
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
This show was quite possibly one of the most heavy shows I've seen. One of the guys I went with described Gojira as being the "heaviest matter of the universe." I am a little upset that they didn't play Esoteric Surgery like they had at the other shows this tour, but, this set list did not disappoint, the closer especially.

Oroborous
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Backbone
Love
From the Sky
A Sight to Behold
Art of Dying
:DDrum solo:D
Clone
Flying Whales
Toxic Garbage Island
:rocker::rocker::rocker:The Way of All Flesh:rocker::rocker::rocker:

:bouville:Vacuity:bouville:

Awesome show, I will definitely be there when ever it is they come back around, headlining, or not.

LoveInSlowMotion
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I like Vacuity, and I think it's a great closing song. With that said, they need to be playing Esoteric Surgery, and they should switch A Sight to Behold for either To Sirius or Wolf Down the Earth.

jhdeity
05-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I like Vacuity, and I think it's a great closing song. With that said, they need to be playing Esoteric Surgery, and they should switch A Sight to Behold for either To Sirius or Wolf Down the Earth.

Couldn't agree more. To Sirius is a great song and most people know it. Skip the damn drum solo

Impaledonafence3
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
They should play Deliverance.

andrew_metalhead
05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I won a meet-n-greet with Gojira!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::):):):):D:D:D:D:D

b_halperin
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I won a meet-n-greet with Gojira!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::):):):):D:D:D:D:D

holy shit nice!!!! how??

andrew_metalhead
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
holy shit nice!!!! how??

I was among the first 10 ticket buyers. They gave MnG passes to the first 10 buyers of every show.

b_halperin
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I was among the first 10 ticket buyers. They gave MnG passes to the first 10 buyers of every show.

lucky bastard! u mean for every show they sell on ticketmaster?? or just for gojira?

andrew_metalhead
05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
lucky bastard! u mean for every show they sell on ticketmaster?? or just for gojira?

naah just for Gojira .. and i bought it on the pre-sale thru artistarena .. not ticketmaster

b_halperin
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Couldn't agree more. To Sirius is a great song and most people know it. Skip the damn drum solo

hell no. theyre drummer is fucking godly

JuuKun
05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I still think any Gojira setlist looks empty without Ocean Planet.

jhdeity
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Getting fired up for the Gojira show and just saw this. To Sirius, Ocean Planet or drum solo?

I don't how "godly" a drummer is, drum solo's are boring and self indulgant. What could he possibly do anything that hasn't been done a million times? To skip 2 of your best songs to play a solo is just a waste in my book.

That being said I'm really hoping they bring these songs back. It's great to have myspace and other vehicles to influence bands. You'd be surprised if you request a song or make a vaild point to play a song that they'll play it.

I realize it's not always the actual band members running the pages but it's usually someone close enough to the band to influence them. If I'm going out on a Tuesday to see them with openers I've never heard of, at least play your best shit.

Does anyone like Burst or Zoroaster or heard anything good about them?

Natrlhi
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Burst is a Swedish band (from Umea, where Meshuggah is from!) that plays what some would call metalcore, but I would argue against that label a little bit because it is just so proggy. It reminds me of Mastodon a great deal, but in my opinion they are almost better (just less popular).

Their 2008 album "Lazarus Bird" was my #2 pick out of eighty-something albums last year - it is phenomenal. Their 2006 album "Origo" was also incredible, IMHO. Unfortunately, familiarity withg their material would go a long way towards a great concert experience with these guys, and you don't have much time to listen up. I still think you may like them anyway, but you'd probably like them more if you were famiiar with the intricacies of their material - it is pretty complex and requires several listens to really appreciate (in my experience, anyway).

Here's the thing about this tour - it is Burst's first tour of the U.S., and unfortunately it looks like it is going to be their last - they have announced that they are breaking up (or going on "indefinite hiatus" or whatever) after this tour is finished. I know, other bands have said the same thing and gotten back together later - and I hope that this is what happens with Burst - but it is stil probably true that there will not be another chance to see them live any time soon - if ever - after this tour. What a shame. :(

I'm hoping to see them with Zoroaster in Detroit on October 8. Unfortunately, Gojira is not playing that date - and more's the pity, because I really want to see them live now that I've become a fan.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Nat :horns:

b_halperin
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Getting fired up for the Gojira show and just saw this. To Sirius, Ocean Planet or drum solo?

I don't how "godly" a drummer is, drum solo's are boring and self indulgant. What could he possibly do anything that hasn't been done a million times? To skip 2 of your best songs to play a solo is just a waste in my book.

That being said I'm really hoping they bring these songs back. It's great to have myspace and other vehicles to influence bands. You'd be surprised if you request a song or make a vaild point to play a song that they'll play it.

I realize it's not always the actual band members running the pages but it's usually someone close enough to the band to influence them. If I'm going out on a Tuesday to see them with openers I've never heard of, at least play your best shit.

i see where your coming from but holy shit mario is like awesome dude ive seen a bunch of drum solos and they were all boring, but I feel like he really brings something new and interesting to the table.

Fratt
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Tbh I don't really like Ocean Planet or To Sirius ... I think the only things this tour lacked was All The Tears and Remembrance. Anyway, it was an awesome show anyway :) Can't wait to see them with Lamb of God ! (and Met ... of course ...) :rocker:

b_halperin
09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Tbh I don't really like Ocean Planet or To Sirius

:nonono:

Fratt
09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying they are not nice ... I'm jsut saying I find All The Tears and Remembrance have a better score in the badass-o-meter :)

jhdeity
09-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Nat. I really appreciate it. I checked Burst out on youtube and they are bad f'n ass. A proggy Mastodon would be exactly how I would describe the 1st song I heard. It's funny that so many people give the guitarist shit for sitting down when he plays. The rest of the band has great presence so that wouldn't bother me personally. I'm definitely fired up to see them now after reading their blogs and knowing these are their last shows. I'm going to see if our local record store has any of their cd's.

My buddy described Zoroaster as old Clutch meets old Sabbath. Kinda Stoner Doom he said. This show is really shaping up after hearing from you guys. There is a 4th band listed as a "special guest" so who knows. Probably a local band but Ottobar has surprised me in the past so ya never know.

Natrlhi
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm going to see if our local record store has any of their cd's.

My buddy described Zoroaster as old Clutch meets old Sabbath.
I recommend last year's "Lazarus Bird" and 2006's "Origo" (although all of their albums are good). If you happen to get both, play Origo first and then see if you can pick up on the musical growth from that album to Lazarus Bird. It was really obvious to me (although Origo was very good, and critically-acclaimed).

Their most famous track is probably "Where the Wave Broke", which is an absolute crusher. The highlight from Lazarus Bird is probably "(We Watched) The Silver Rain", although over half the tracks on the album qualify as highlights. "I Hold Vertigo" and "I Exterminate the I" are both phenomenal, as is "Cripple God".

Also, from what I have heard of Zoroaster, your friend is right. They seem to have very much of a stoner / doom sound. I seem to remember the tempos of the songs being a bit slow for my taste, but they are heavy. With the addition of Gojira for your show date (lucky bastard ;)), this should be an excellent show for you. Enjoy!

jhdeity
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah they had Lazarus Bird so I picked it up. Normally I wouldn't pay $14.99 for a cd but I knew the songs were all long and you're right I only had time to listen to the 1st 2 songs but they're both crushing! The guy at the record store recommended an earlier cd called Prey on Life also. He said you have to download their older stuff so I don't feel guilty since I bought what he even said is their Masterpiece. He said someone recently bought the import version of the other cd you mentioned Origo for $45 clams. They must have really loved Lazarus Bird I guess...

I'm psyched now. Thanks Bro!

the chewbacca defense
09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah they had Lazarus Bird so I picked it up. Normally I wouldn't pay $14.99 for a cd but I knew the songs were all long and you're right I only had time to listen to the 1st 2 songs but they're both crushing! The guy at the record store recommended an earlier cd called Prey on Life also. He said you have to download their older stuff so I don't feel guilty since I bought what he even said is their Masterpiece. He said someone recently bought the import version of the other cd you mentioned Origo for $45 clams. They must have really loved Lazarus Bird I guess...

I'm psyched now. Thanks Bro!

i assume you got it from record and tape traders? I love their stores. I like that their staff for the most part knows their shit. He was able to help me find the new Dying Fetus album. Try telling that to a best buy clerk. They prob wouldn't know what your talking about

jhdeity
09-16-2009, 07:07 AM
i assume you got it from record and tape traders? I love their stores. I like that their staff for the most part knows their shit. He was able to help me find the new Dying Fetus album. Try telling that to a best buy clerk. They prob wouldn't know what your talking about

Good call. Yeah Record & Tape Traders is the shit. The manager of the Glen Burnie store has been there for 20+ years and dude knows more about music than anyone I've ever met. The guy I talked to will be at the Ottobar show too.

I just got a free ticket to Chevelle Sat night and my buddy's band Deadlock is playing after Chevelle on the Quarter stage but I can't get into any of them after listening to Gojira and Burst. Fukkin Halestorm opening again. Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhh. Should be a cool crowd though...

smearCampaign
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Seeing Gojira tonight in Detroit! I saw them last year open for In Flames and they blew everyone else offstage that night.

Anyone know if they ever play 'The Art of Dying' live? Also hoping for some tracks off The Link.

b_halperin
09-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Seeing Gojira tonight in Detroit! I saw them last year open for In Flames and they blew everyone else offstage that night.

Anyone know if they ever play 'The Art of Dying' live? Also hoping for some tracks off The Link.

yeah they played it when i saw them. and dude i know gojira was by far the best band on that bll. Tracks off The Link are rare, unfortunately

Natrlhi
09-16-2009, 08:56 AM
yeah they played it when i saw them. and dude i know gojira was by far the best band on that bll. Tracks off The Link are rare, unfortunately

Speaking of The Link, the record store I go to (well one of them, anyway) has a used copy of the DVD from that era - is it any good? I was thinking about picking it up - I think they only want like seven bucks for it...

mankvill
09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Good call. Yeah Record & Tape Traders is the shit. The manager of the Glen Burnie store has been there for 20+ years and dude knows more about music than anyone I've ever met. The guy I talked to will be at the Ottobar show too.

I went to Record and Tape Traders when I was seeing my girlfriend in MD. That place is awesome. :drool:

b_halperin
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Speaking of The Link, the record store I go to (well one of them, anyway) has a used copy of the DVD from that era - is it any good? I was thinking about picking it up - I think they only want like seven bucks for it...

YES BUY BUY BUY.

ive never seen a copy of that cd in any store ive been in but id love to have it. Ive seen the clips on youtube and theyre really great.

Natrlhi
09-16-2009, 08:34 PM
YES BUY BUY BUY.

ive never seen a copy of that cd in any store ive been in but id love to have it. Ive seen the clips on youtube and theyre really great.

Thanks, I prolly will - although I might have to question the "objectivity" of your recommendation. ;)

b_halperin
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I prolly will - although I might have to question the "objectivity" of your recommendation. ;)

If i knew what "objctivity" meant, I would surely come up with a rebuttle :tongue:

b_halperin
09-16-2009, 08:43 PM

I JUST FOUND OUT AND I CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE

judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices

:D

or maybe i do.... the definition is confusing

Natrlhi
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I JUST FOUND OUT AND I CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE

judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices

:D

or maybe i do.... the definition is confusing

:lol: I'm just saying that since you're obviously a huge Gojira fan, of course you're gonna recommend the DVD - but I still believe it's good. ;)

b_halperin
09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
:lol: I'm just saying that since you're obviously a huge Gojira fan, of course you're gonna recommend the DVD - but I still believe it's good. ;)

Oh, I get it hahahaha yea im definetely objective on this matter but its a good dvd

jhdeity
09-17-2009, 04:42 AM
I watched a couple of clips from The Link Live and yeah, the Terra Incognita stuff comes off great. I kinda rediscovered that cd yesterday and WOW!

I honestly think if I had heard this cd 1st it might be my favorite cd of theirs. I'm seriously considering taking a vacation day after the show and just going total apeshit now. hahaha

jhdeity
09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
You were definitely right about "Super" Mario. While I still think drum solo's are worthless that dude is a MONSTER on the kit. Everyone has feet these days but that dude's hands are incredible!

Natrlhi
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
YES BUY BUY BUY.

I bought the DVD - of course it rocks balls. Thanks, B.