PDA

View Full Version : Dragonforce -- Buffalo, NY -- May 1st, 2009

SilentSoldier144
05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
For starters, the crowd in Buffalo was simply terrible and I would appreciate them dying in a fire. I went up from NYC to see this show, I got my money's worth...but Dragonforce didn't get the show they deserved. Next, Daath put on one hell of a show, and they all seem like pretty cool people. Got a few fist pumps from the guitarist :). Next was Cynic, the band I dreaded most. They looked so uncomfortable on stage. Thank god their set was cut a few songs! Next was Dragonforce. They weren't as strong as the last performance when I saw them in November, but 6-7 straight months of touring seems tiring. Also, Fred was sick :\. Here is the setlist, knowing it by heart AND I got the setlist off the stage from the same roadie who gave me guitar picks at the last show :)

Heroes of Our Time
Operation Ground and Pound
Reasons To Live
Fury of The Storm :rocker::rocker::rocker:
The Warrior Inside
Keys Solo
Revolution Deathsquad
Soldiers of The Wasteland
Last Journey Home
-----------------------------------------------------
Strike of The Ninja :finger:
Valley of The Damned
Through The Fire and Flames

Definitely an amazing show, and worth the total of 18 hours on trains and the ton of money I spent while in Buffalo. BUT, I'm NEVER going back :)

mankvill
05-02-2009, 03:28 PM
So far, I have only seen two types of reviews for this tour:

Cynic rules, Dragonforce sucks

or

Cynic sucks, Dragonforce rules

and SOMEONE GET A MOTHERFUCKING DAATH SET!

SilentSoldier144
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I tried to get a picture or read their set last night but it was poorly written :\. I'll look through their songs to see which I could recognize for ya bud.

Sanitarium78
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I missed this show becuase I work nights and I have to really pick and choose what shows I wanna see. I like them but not enough to miss a days pay. The crowd in Buffalo can be shitty at times but i'm wondering what was wrong with them at this show? Also how many people where there?

SilentSoldier144
05-02-2009, 03:38 PM
From what I'm listening to, this is what I can give you. This isn't in any kind of order.

Day of Endless Light
Subterfuge (definitely played second)
Fecal Finger
(drum solo was after 3 songs)
The Worthless (was played last)

Can't really help you with the other 2 songs :\

2handband
05-02-2009, 04:11 PM
So far, I have only seen two types of reviews for this tour:

Cynic rules, Dragonforce sucks

or

Cynic sucks, Dragonforce rules

and SOMEONE GET A MOTHERFUCKING DAATH SET!

I've talked to some of the other people at the Fargo gig and none of them are familiar enough with Daath's work to provide a set. Sorry; I tried.

As far as the Cynic/DF controversy goes I think it has a lot to do with people's pre-conception of the bands based on studio output. The truth is that musically speaking BOTH bands are performing very well. I know I personally raked Cynic over the coals but if you don't care AT ALL about showmanship or stage presence the Cynic gig was probably very good. To me there's nothing lamer than professional performers who seem terrified to be standing in front of an audience.

BlackmoreOfBowling
05-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I went up from NYC to see this show

How did this happen? I could've sworn NYC was one of those cities that got every show, and Buffalo was one of those B-cities (much like the one I live in) that gets bi-monthly secondary shows..

and SOMEONE GET A MOTHERFUCKING DAATH SET LIST!

I posted.. Half of one when I posted the Pittsburgh show report.

SilentSoldier144
05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=BlackmoreOfBowling;210157]How did this happen? I could've sworn NYC was one of those cities that got every show, and Buffalo was one of those B-cities (much like the one I live in) that gets bi-monthly secondary shows...

This tour is "Ultra Beatdown 2" meaning they're hitting up all the cities they couldn't get to last tour in the winter. This was a birthday present, only reason I ended up going :)

Wizzbang11
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
For starters, the crowd in Buffalo was simply terrible and I would appreciate them dying in a fire.

I don't think that is unusual for a DF show.

SilentSoldier144
05-02-2009, 06:41 PM

I've been to 5 DF shows, not one of them had a bad crowd. (Even when they were supporting KSE they got a better response). This crowd was bad. I was warned that the people in Buffalo are mentally retarded, and I found that out for myself.

Wizzbang11
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah I saw them supported KSE.....it was terrible (the crowd that is)

Butcher of Birth
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM

The show on the 1st leg of this tour in Orlando was AMAZING for crowd reaction. They had the crowd in their hands like Megadeth, Maiden, and Ozzy seem to do. Dragonforce can work a crowd, and their crowds love them. You could say it's due to the fact their "crowd" is 12-14yr old Guitar Hero kids, but in Orlando there were a lot of Older Teens to Mid-40's there. You could tell true fans of Power Metal support Dragonforce.

Altmer7989
05-03-2009, 03:00 AM
lol true fans of power metal

Wizzbang11
05-03-2009, 07:57 AM
The show on the 1st leg of this tour in Orlando was AMAZING for crowd reaction. They had the crowd in their hands like Megadeth, Maiden, and Ozzy seem to do. Dragonforce can work a crowd, and their crowds love them. You could say it's due to the fact their "crowd" is 12-14yr old Guitar Hero kids, but in Orlando there were a lot of Older Teens to Mid-40's there. You could tell true fans of Power Metal support Dragonforce.

If a crowd were true Power Metal fans that would be cool, but from my experiences its 12 year old GH fans and their parents. And with KSE a ton of obnoxious KSE fans. And at Mayhemfest the only people really paying attention to Dragonforce were the 12 y/o GH fans.

2handband
05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
lol true fans of power metal

What's wrong with power metal? I'll take power metal over death metal, extreme metal, or nu-metal any day.

DethMaiden
05-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Next was Cynic, the band I dreaded most. They looked so uncomfortable on stage.

I want to address this seemingly ubiquitous complaint. What did you want them to do on stage? If they were asking to "see a fucking circle pit" and then played their music, it would have been silly. Likewise if they pranced around like DForce. Their music is calculated and timid, shouldn't their stage presence be the same?

2handband
05-04-2009, 05:34 AM
I want to address this seemingly ubiquitous complaint. What did you want them to do on stage? If they were asking to "see a fucking circle pit" and then played their music, it would have been silly. Likewise if they pranced around like DForce. Their music is calculated and timid, shouldn't their stage presence be the same?

No. There is nothing more ridiculous than a professional performer who is timid.

Derelict
05-04-2009, 06:00 AM
If a crowd were true Power Metal fans that would be cool, but from my experiences its 12 year old GH fans and their parents. And with KSE a ton of obnoxious KSE fans. And at Mayhemfest the only people really paying attention to Dragonforce were the 12 y/o GH fans.

I've gone to dragonforce shows in philly twice now to see the opener (and left before dragonforce came out). Most of the crowd was under 14, and there were alot of parents in the back

2handband
05-04-2009, 06:26 AM
I've gone to dragonforce shows in philly twice now to see the opener (and left before dragonforce came out). Most of the crowd was under 14, and there were alot of parents in the back

At the Fargo show most of the audience was made up of adults. Granted the gig was very under-attended; small venue to begin with and less than half full.

You should stay for a Dragonforce show. Whether you like them or not they are INCREDIBLY entertaining live.

jimcarrey363
05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
You should stay for a Dragonforce show. Whether you like them or not they are INCREDIBLY entertaining live.

I'm going to have to agree with this comment.

I can't stand DF, but I laughed my ASS OFF at the dude playing the keytar! Funniest shit I've ever seen on stage.

DethMaiden
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
No. There is nothing more ridiculous than a professional performer who is timid.

I strongly disagree. The stage presence is entirely dependent on the music. A number of post-rock bands whose shows I enjoy sit in chairs when they play and make no eye contact with the audience. This is acceptable, because the audience mostly keeps their eyes closed and sits on the floor anyway. Your "shtick", if we have to reduce it to that, should match your sound.

mankvill
05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I strongly disagree. The stage presence is entirely dependent on the music. A number of post-rock bands whose shows I enjoy sit in chairs when they play and make no eye contact with the audience. This is acceptable, because the audience mostly keeps their eyes closed and sits on the floor anyway. Your "shtick", if we have to reduce it to that, should match your sound.

The only post-rock band I've seen is Explosions In The Sky and they were going fucking crazy! :eek:

DethMaiden
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
The only post-rock band I've seen is Explosions In The Sky and they were going fucking crazy! :eek:

Their crescendos are a little more violent, a little more "metal" than the bands I'm referring to (The Juniper Wait (RIP) and Romance of Young Tigers (go see them!) in particular).

SomewhereInTime72
05-04-2009, 07:29 PM

I'm with you here, and let's not forget about shoegaze.

snowdog2112
05-05-2009, 01:17 AM
This crowd was bad. I was warned that the people in Buffalo are mentally retarded, and I found that out for myself.
Why are people who live in NYC a bunch of arrogant assholes
So the crowd was bad what did you expect from people hearing a
shit band like DF? What are they supposed to do jump around like a
bunch of dipshits from NYC?:tp:

SilentSoldier144
05-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Why are people who live in NYC a bunch of arrogant assholes
So the crowd was bad what did you expect from people hearing a
shit band like DF? What are they supposed to do jump around like a
bunch of dipshits from NYC?:tp:

1.We're assholes, but we give a band a response they deserve and makes them come back on every major tour. Funny how Buffalo is a "every now and then" kind of city.

2.Seeing some people headbanging, sing or even do something besides stand motionless on the barricade would've been nice to see. I knew it was gonna be bad when there were more people on the upper tiers with their cameras then on the floor.

3.If Dragonforce is shit then get off my thread. Clearly you were interested in seeing what they played.

4.QQ less :finger:

snowdog2112
05-05-2009, 05:40 AM
1.We're assholes, but we give a band a response they deserve and makes them come back on every major tour. Funny how Buffalo is a "every now and then" kind of city.

2.Seeing some people headbanging, sing or even do something besides stand motionless on the barricade would've been nice to see. I knew it was gonna be bad when there were more people on the upper tiers with their cameras then on the floor.

3.If Dragonforce is shit then get off my thread. Clearly you were interested in seeing what they played.

4.QQ less :finger:
So some people like to stand around whats the big deal
No where does it say if you go see a band you have to jump around like a wild animal.I go to shows to see the bands play.Thats what I paid to see.
How a person enjoys a show is there own business

Sanitarium78
05-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Living in Buffalo all my life I can definately say that the crowd reactions are very crappy at a lot of major shows. It's a very trendy area and if the band isn't playing something that was on the radio it doesn't get much reaction. Of course it's still better than going to see a show in Canada where people sit down for the whole thing unless it's gerneral admission. I'll just never get why people would pay money to go see a show of a band you don't know a lot from. That's why the crowds are so shitty.

SomewhereInTime72
05-05-2009, 08:51 AM
NYC > Buttalo

edit:

and Cynic > Dragonforce

snowdog2112
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Living in Buffalo all my life I can definately say that the crowd reactions are very crappy at a lot of major shows. It's a very trendy area and if the band isn't playing something that was on the radio it doesn't get much reaction. Of course it's still better than going to see a show in Canada where people sit down for the whole thing unless it's gerneral admission. I'll just never get why people would pay money to go see a show of a band you don't know a lot from. That's why the crowds are so shitty.
What venues are you talking about? I work out at the DL Performing Arts Center and the crowds there are always up for a concert.HSBC Arena also
has a good crowd for shows.Saw quite a few concerts there from TSO to
Genesis and you could tell from the band they loved the reaction they received

Altmer7989
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
What's wrong with power metal? I'll take power metal over death metal, extreme metal, or nu-metal any day.

Nothing, I enjoy power metal. "True Fans of Power Metal" just strikes me as the silliest thing to say ever.

Sanitarium78
05-05-2009, 01:01 PM
What venues are you talking about? I work out at the DL Performing Arts Center and the crowds there are always up for a concert.HSBC Arena also
has a good crowd for shows.Saw quite a few concerts there from TSO to
Genesis and you could tell from the band they loved the reaction they received

It's no particular venue in particular it's just general stuff i've noticed through the years.It's true that people are always up for a concert but a lot of people go without having a clue about who they're seeing. When I saw Heaven and Hell at Darien Lake a couple years ago there were people i talked to leaving the show who were dissappointed that they didn't do any Ozzy era stuff. I've had a few other things happen like that through the years at shows. I guess I just get really disappointed when I go to a show and see or talk to people who aren't as passoinate about seeing the artist as I am

2handband
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly is post-rock? I've never heard the term.

Even if I attend a folk or blues festival I expect the performers to at least look the audience in the eye and have something other than "Hi, um... we're... a band called Cynic" to say between songs.

mankvill
05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly is post-rock? I've never heard the term.

It's easier to listen and find out for yourself. Look up Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Isis and Jesu. The last two lean more to post-metal.

SomewhereInTime72
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
It's easier to listen and find out for yourself. Look up Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Isis and Jesu. The last two lean more to post-metal.

If lean more means are.