PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, who's the best thrash revival band?

JRA
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
If you think they are any good that is.

Skeletonwitch, Merciless Death, Municipal Waste, Hatchet, etc. any others I've forgtten, make them known here?

Wizzbang11
05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Toxic Holocaust.

mankvill
05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I think you know my answer.

SKELETONWITCH!

I also think Municipal Waste and Warbringer are good. Or, at least, they get more shit than they should. Mantic Ritual and Bonded By Blood are also pretty decent. Toxic Holocaust is up there!

powerslave_85
05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Municipal Waste for sure. The other bands are good, but none of them are as much fun.

b_halperin
05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
toxic holocaust, gama bomb, municipal waste, hatchet, warbringer, avenger of blood

ravenheart
05-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Evile.

ravenheart
05-02-2009, 05:40 AM
gama bomb

God no. If you haven't seen them live yet, don't. They're TERRIBLE.

Spiral_Slave
05-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Municipal Waste and Skeletonwitch are top tier in my opinion. Second tier is Warbringer and Bonded By Blood, then all the rest.

DethMaiden
05-02-2009, 10:08 AM
There's a movement claiming Skeletonwitch aren't thrash revival, but I don't really give a shit. They're the best.

TRANSFORM ROTTING CORPSE TO DEMON. I'M YOUR SAVIOUR NOW, I'M YOUR LORD!

mankvill
05-02-2009, 10:40 AM
There's a movement claiming Skeletonwitch aren't thrash revival, but I don't really give a shit. They're the best.

TRANSFORM ROTTING CORPSE TO DEMON. I'M YOUR SAVIOUR NOW, I'M YOUR LORD!

NONE SO COLD
FROZEN SOUL
SUBZERO

DethMaiden
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
NONE SO COLD
FROZEN SOUL
SUBZERO

UNHOLY BIRTH
SATAN SPAWN
BAPTIZED IN FLAMES

BORN DEMON SEED
BLASPHEMY
BAPTIZED IN RIFFS

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

SomewhereInTime72
05-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I can't say I'm a big fan of any of this type of band. It doesn't feel like they're doing it right.

ChildrenofSodom
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Skeletonwitch, but the Waste are a close second.

TonyD
05-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I can't say I'm a big fan of any of this type of band. It doesn't feel like they're doing it right.

Ditto.
MW is good, but it doesn't sound the same to me.

Indestructible
05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
i have only heard songs from MW

HandOfDoom
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Evile fo sho

Div
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Dr. Livingdead (http://www.myspace.com/doctorlivingdead)

because they have the right attitude

overkiller
05-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust. End of discussion. All the rest are bad.

mankvill
05-02-2009, 03:58 PM

:blah:

ADD
05-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I agree except I do think theres a few good ones out there, not really any of the ones one would classify within the whole 'thrash revival scene' though, which neither MW or TH are a part of anyway cuz they've been doing it before this whole thing kinda came into the underground metal community focus. The thrash revival thing is mainly happening between the Bay Area and LA, as far as a scene and proliferation of similar sounding (and dressing) bands. Out of all that I really like Hatchet, Fog of War, Devastator, and Merciless Death. Warbringer's demo was good but the debut studio record from last year didn't cut it for me, the production just sucked and they it just doesn't sound as fierce. They tour like crazy though and I respect them the utmost for being only one of the bands from this 'thrash revival' to really make it anywhere, and it looks like they're in it for the longhaul so best of luck to them. Bummer that Hatchet broke up or else I could have seen them taking a similar road, they were signed to Metal Blade even. Marcus is singing for Scarecrow now but that seems like a dead-end gig I think.

And let the record show that Skeletonwitch's music has about as much to do with thrash as Amon Amarth or old Children of Bodom :D Genre classifications are lame I know, but SW definitely don't sound like thrash, to my concept of it at least.

Div
05-04-2009, 12:24 AM
seems that the "thrash revival" bands are copying more of the american sound than the european one, so i guess it just depends which style you like better.

ADD
05-04-2009, 12:31 AM
seems that the "thrash revival" bands are copying more of the american sound than the european one, so i guess it just depends which style you like better.
Yea most bands are definitely geared towards ripping off the Slayer/Exodus/Vio-lence vibe rather than the Germans or even the Brazilians, though thats probably cuz you have to be a backwards 3rd world peasant to play such brutal, primitive music :D Avenger of Blood do play pretty decent German thrash style though if you're looking for it in a modern band.

ADD
05-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Oops almost forgot, if theres a band that deserves a plug in this thread its Witchaven, definitely real good stuff.

ravenheart
05-04-2009, 04:57 AM
And let the record show that Skeletonwitch's music has about as much to do with thrash as Amon Amarth or old Children of Bodom :D Genre classifications are lame I know, but SW definitely don't sound like thrash, to my concept of it at least.

I'm glad someone else hear's this too.

Wrathchild_84
05-16-2009, 02:23 AM
IBummer that Hatchet broke up or else I could have seen them taking a similar road, they were signed to Metal Blade even. Marcus is singing for Scarecrow now but that seems like a dead-end gig I think.

Hatchet aren't broken up by any means. Infact a member of the metalsetlists community just sent an audition cd to Julz ;)

Spiral_Slave
05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Oops almost forgot, if theres a band that deserves a plug in this thread its Witchaven, definitely real good stuff.

Saw 'em play with Bonded By Blood on St. Patty's day, good shit.

ADD
05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Hatchet aren't broken up by any means. Infact a member of the metalsetlists community just sent an audition cd to Julz ;)

Haha good shit, singer? Good luck man, I'll be there if you land the gig :cool:

JRA
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Damn, first your uncle is in Cro-Mags, now you're gonna sing for Hatchet? You've got kvlt and Tr00 written all over you!

HandOfDoom
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm really digging Warbringer, they remind quite a bit of Kreator

JuuKun
05-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Municipal Waste and Skeletonwitch are top tier in my opinion.

This.

Wrathchild_84
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Haha good shit, singer? Good luck man, I'll be there if you land the gig :cool:

Well Julz hasn't called back in a few days so I'm thinking I'm out of the race but either way I still plan on moving to the Bay Area soon. And to ad to actual discussion I really like Fueled By Fire's new stuff and even though they're broken up now I really like Exit To Eternity from NYC.

Sinfulsot
05-18-2009, 06:32 AM
this is more to throw another band out there for discussion since the rest of you are more in the know: Lazarus AD.

when i saw them (with Amon Amarth), they specifically said they play thrash.

Go.

AND

Haha good shit, singer? Good luck man, I'll be there if you land the gig
Well Julz hasn't called back in a few days so I'm thinking I'm out of the race but either way I still plan on moving to the Bay Area soon. And to ad to actual discussion I really like Fueled By Fire's new stuff and even though they're broken up now I really like Exit To Eternity from NYC.

this is my 9-5 job search experience speaking: I say you call up this Julz and touch base just to be sure.

if the demo is your resume, then the followup call is to make sure it's been received and looked at. as to a 9-5 gig, i know they like to see that you are interested in getting the job by doing this.

in this case, if Julz feels you aren't right for the band, get it from the horse's mouth. at worst, he'll be a dick about it, but more likely you will get tips on your singing or the whole demo submittal process.

this concludes my $0.02.

makethemsuffer12
05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Warbringer and Municipal Waste. Maybe Skeletonwhich as well, but I don't really listen to them. Mantic Ritual is also pretty kick ass.

rjturtle9
05-18-2009, 03:38 PM
mantic ritual, bonded by blood, and fueled by fire. exmortus are the best but they are not really thrash, but they play with the thrash bands so they are helping the scene.

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
mantic ritual, bonded by blood, and fueled by fire. exmortus are the best but they are not really thrash, but they play with the thrash bands so they are helping the scene.

Exmortus are great, my band was gonna open for them and Bonded by Blood. All of those bands are great, including Warbringer, Vektor, and Lazarus A.D.

Div
05-18-2009, 04:51 PM
bonded by blood is fucking horseshit

EDIT: and not to sound like a dick, i like some new wave thrash, but just what the fuck were the guys in that band thinking?

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
bonded by blood is fucking horseshit

EDIT: and not to sound like a dick, i like some new wave thrash, but just what the fuck were the guys in that band thinking?

how are they horseshit? i mean their band name is unoriginal, but their music is awesome.

rjturtle9
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
how are they horseshit? i mean their band name is unoriginal, but their music is awesome.

yeah man i love seeing them live. and lazuras ad are sick too

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
yeah man i love seeing them live. and lazuras ad are sick too

Lucky you seen em live! Lazarus are ill as well, will be seeing them this Friday, along with fucking TESTAMENT!!! :rocker::rocker:

Div
05-18-2009, 05:36 PM

i guess its just a difference in taste. i consider thrash as my favorite sub genre of metal, but their album last year was just atrocious. They try so hard to sound like exodus, their songs have a basic formula down but they never go anywhere with it, most of their songs were just one long stream of the same speed metal riff, it was redundant. this band seemed to just jump head first into putting an album out without having their shit together first.

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-18-2009, 05:39 PM
i guess its just a difference in taste. i consider thrash as my favorite sub genre of metal, but their album last year was just atrocious. They try so hard to sound like exodus, their songs have a basic formula down but they never go anywhere with it, most of their songs were just one long stream of the same speed metal riff, it was redundant. this band seemed to just jump head first into putting an album out without having their shit together first.

As much as I like them, I do have to admit they try really hard and sound like exodus. But I've come to accept unoriginality, as ignorant as it might sound. No new thrash band is going to truly sound original anymore, so I've come to just enjoy the music, regardless of its originality. Even my favorite new thrash wave bands (Warbringer, Mantic, Vektor, etc.) definately are not original by any means, of no offense to them. Thrash is my favorite sub-genre of metal as well, and I think any new band is going to have a god damned hard time to be original, so if the music is good, then its good. Not smiting you though, you have all the right to your opinion :D.

rjturtle9
05-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Lucky you seen em live! Lazarus are ill as well, will be seeing them this Friday, along with fucking TESTAMENT!!! :rocker::rocker:

yeah man. i am from their area so they always play here. seen them twice and exmortus 4 times.

oh you guys should check out metal x. one of my main buddies is the bass player. they are getting a lot of attention in la.

Sinfulsot
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
i'm not sure where i heard this (Rob Zombie?), if you aren't coming up with something new, then when you re-visit what has already been done, do it better. totally paraphrasing there.

it's not necessarily unoriginal, but as the thread subject suggests, thrash revival is going to revisit thrash, regardless of continent of origin.

Wrathchild_84
01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Just saw Vektor last night and now they are definitly my favorite new wave thrash band.

xStructualDefect
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Municipal Waste for sure. i'm not big on thrash at all but this band is fucking awesome. Skeletonwitch is pretty cool. Bonded By Blood is pretty sick too they're from my area so i have some friends who know them personally. my friend's band has also played with them before.

Div
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Since we're reviving this thread, I'd like to add that Devastator's 09 release was very good.

rjturtle9
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Municipal waste, Skeletonwitch (if they really count), Toxic Holocaust, mantic Ritual, Warbringer, Exmortus (if they count), and if you wanna go really underground, Armory.

IrritatedTrout
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Not really interested in this thrash revival stuff but Warbringer was pretty good when I saw them.

mankvill
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Just saw Vektor last night and now they are definitly my favorite new wave thrash band.

My grandparents are friends with the drummers family!

mankvill
01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
also: new thrash bands I don't like:

Gama Bomb
Havok
Anyone that really overdoes the Baloff-style vocals

ravenheart
01-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Anyone that really overdoes the Baloff-style vocals

That's most of them.

Agree on Gama Bomb. But I enjoyed Havok's debut.

Suicidal Angels, Savage Messiah and Evile still destroy the rest though. They've actually bothered to sound different and not repeat the same meaningless crap and generic style over and over.