View Full Version : Heaven And Hell -- Los Angeles, CA -- April 26th, 2009

ijwthstd
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Invite only at rehearsal studio at a secret location

01. Bible Black
02. Fear
03. Follow The Tears
04. Time Machine

Also tried to grab the full setlist that was laying around but didn't get away with it. Looked at another one at an angle out of reach

The Mob Rules
Children Of The Sea

(hidden)

Fear
Follow The Tears
Falling Off The Edge Of The World
Die Young
Heaven And Hell
Neon Knights

There was no elevated stage and I was just a few feet away from Tony. It was awesome, I went to another show immedietly after, I am burned, now I am gonna crash.

iggus
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
you lucky bastard..haha...that must have been really cool to see ..:rocker: I can't wait to buy the cd tomorrow...I hope they change the setlist up a bit from the metal masters..great to see Time machine in there but would like to see them add "Turn up the night", 'lady Evil" or even one of the greatest hits new ones like "Shadows of the wind"..that was a great riff and song.
Any word on a tour..when it starts? dates? anything?

mankvill
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm on the fence about purchasing the CD.

2handband
04-27-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm on the fence about purchasing the CD.

On the FENCE??!! The first Sabbath record in 14 years and you're on the FENCE??!! Please explain... :confused:

Maiden33
04-27-2009, 07:18 AM
On the FENCE??!! The first Sabbath record in 14 years and you're on the FENCE??!! Please explain... :confused:

It fucking sucks.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
It fucking sucks.

I sadly have to agree with this.

2handband
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
It fucking sucks.

You've heard it???

Spiral_Slave
04-27-2009, 08:10 AM
It fucking sucks.

Truth.

2handband
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
So... you guys have heard it in it's entirety?

Maiden33
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah it leaked like 3 weeks ago or something.

2handband
04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I have heard none of it. Where can I find the leaked version? It can't be that bad... Sabbath's never really had a bad record (although Never Say Die comes close).

metal01
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
I like the CD go buy it i am.

andrew_metalhead
04-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Haven't heard it bcos i'll be buying it anyway .. i don't care how good it is .. its fuckin Sabbath!!!!

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I have heard none of it. Where can I find the leaked version? It can't be that bad... Sabbath's never really had a bad record (although Never Say Die comes close).

It's against the rules here to post links to copyrighted music, so please don't ask. The record will be out tomorrow :)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I've heard the whole thing a handful of times and I have to say it's so so at best. 3 to 4 ok songs and the rest are mediocre. And dont get me started on the lyrics. Even on the songs I like, the lyrics are bad.

All that being said, I'll still go see them in concert.

TonyD
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't even know if I'll be going to that. I missed their first tour which I still regret, but I caught them with Priest, and they were good.
Once might be enough for me, since it just doesn't do as much for me as the original Sabbath. If you factor in that they'll be playing a bunch of songs I don't want to hear, it's a no go.

hot_turkey_ed
04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Haven't heard it bcos i'll be buying it anyway .. i don't care how good it is .. its fuckin Sabbath!!!!

As will I.

hot_turkey_ed
04-27-2009, 10:36 AM
It's against the rules here to post links to copyrighted music, so please don't ask. The record will be out tomorrow :)

Thanks ECW. The Law is firm on this point.

And to add ... you will likely be banned permanently if I see it. The internet is full of places to find your music, ya hooligans. METALSETLISTS is NOT one of them.

ijwthstd
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM

They will only be playing those 3 new songs according to RJD

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-27-2009, 11:19 AM
It's streaming at vh1.com, or it was recently.

2handband
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I've heard the whole thing a handful of times and I have to say it's so so at best. 3 to 4 ok songs and the rest are mediocre. And dont get me started on the lyrics. Even on the songs I like, the lyrics are bad.

Lots of great metal has dumb lyrics... I don't let it bug me.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Lots of great metal has dumb lyrics... I don't let it bug me.

Some bad lyrics I can fight through and some I can't.
These are pretty bad.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
If you're looking for a good deal on the album it's $9.99 from BestBuy.com, and it comes with a bonus DVD and has free shipping.

Even though I don't particularly like the album, I do still have it on order from there...

And yeah, the lyrics are exceptionally bad, even by Dio standards. Sometimes, they're typical Dio fare - like "Bible Black," which I don't think is exactly horrible. It's like a cheesy campfire story that tries to be scary or something. It's not great, but it has some coherency to it. But other times, the lyrics are just absolutely senseless. I find that disappointing, because Dio’s obviously a smart, well-read guy who has spent his life traveling the world. You’d think he could do better than nonsense about “caravans to Superman” and stuff.

HandOfDoom
04-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Ive listen to it a few times and I have to agree that the lyrics are pretty lame but I'm really digging Tony and Geezers riffage.

BlackmoreOfBowling
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
An album with Dio, Iommi and Butler and a "fucking sucks" tag does not compute.

I'd sure love to know what "fucking sucks" about it, because when I listened to it, I heard 52 minutes of consistently bludgeoning traditional heavy metal goodness from the most experienced metal musicians alive. Sure, it's been almost 2 decades since Tony and Geezer have done anything noteworthy in the studio, but to be quite honest, there probably won't be anything that can top this monster of a comeback from the innovators of heavy metal this year. Maybe Candlemass... And that's one of the biggest of conceivable 'maybes'..

The album's entitled "The Devil You Know" not "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder" in case there's a misunderstanding.

b_halperin
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
"Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder" in case there's a misunderstanding.

that was a sick album

DARKNESS INCARNATE

JRA
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
MASTER OF INSANITY AND BURIED ALIVE GODDAMN YOU! :mad:

Maiden33
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
An album with Dio, Iommi and Butler and a "fucking sucks" tag does not compute.

I'd sure love to know what "fucking sucks" about it, because when I listened to it, I heard 52 minutes of consistently bludgeoning traditional heavy metal goodness from the most experienced metal musicians alive. Sure, it's been almost 2 decades since Tony and Geezer have done anything noteworthy in the studio, but to be quite honest, there probably won't be anything that can top this monster of a comeback from the innovators of heavy metal this year. Maybe Candlemass... And that's one of the biggest of conceivable 'maybes'..

The album's entitled "The Devil You Know" not "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder" in case there's a misunderstanding.

As much as I'd love to agree with you, this album sucks. Everything about it screams "we're not even trying". They managed to record an album with absolutely no hooks, nothing remotely catchy, and nothing memorable in any way shape or form. And I know all of those "Metal fucking rules, fuck sissy shit" people think hooks and catchiness aren't important, but they are. If you listen to Heaven and Hell, there are hooks all over the place. The songs are incredibly strong, very memorable. Songs like "Die Young", "Children of the Sea", "Neon Knights", and the title track stand up incredibly well today, because they were extremely well written songs that understood the balance between heaviness and melodic substance... something this album is entirely devoid of. Are the riffs heavy? Yes. Are the riffs good? Generally not. Dio's lyrics are a mere shadow of his once somewhat poetic brilliance. Every song is pretty much the most bland form of dull, and I had to try very hard to not turn it off on the first listen. You keep waiting for quality that never comes, it's just not there, no matter how much I want it to be.
And for the record, I am a huge Dio and Dio-Sabbath fan, and I had the highest of hopes for this. I just won't play nice with an album as inconceivably disappointing as this was.

TonyD
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50960153
0:32

2handband
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay, just gave it a first listen. First impressions are NOT positive. It isn't really bad... but I don't think it's really good, either. With this band you expect brilliance pretty much all the time. Who knows, maybe it will jump out and attack me on the second or third listen. It's happened before.

iggus
04-28-2009, 06:21 AM
I'd have to disagree with you on this one..I have heard maybe half of it and I dig it. enough to buy it. But I also like all three songs they did on the best of Dio years. which seems to be split between people as either love those tracks or hated them....so far I have pretty much liked everything Dio did with Sabbath...

2handband
04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
I'd have to disagree with you on this one..I have heard maybe half of it and I dig it. enough to buy it. But I also like all three songs they did on the best of Dio years. which seems to be split between people as either love those tracks or hated them....so far I have pretty much liked everything Dio did with Sabbath...

Actually I liked 2 of the 3 new cuts on The Dio Years. I thought TDC was kind of lame but the other two were excellent. This new record, on the other hand... I dunno. Two listens and still no go.

Maiden33
04-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Actually I liked 2 of the 3 new cuts on The Dio Years. I thought TDC was kind of lame but the other two were excellent. This new record, on the other hand... I dunno. Two listens and still no go.

Yep, this. I'm not going to go into much detail, because the paragraph I wrote on the last page couldn't sum it up any better.

Fe Maiden
04-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I've heard a few of the songs and my impression is........I guess my expectations were too high! It may be a grower??? I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy it however. I do not think it's as bad as many of you make it out to be. Some of you may be exaggerating since your expectations were too high as well???

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
It's pretty much the album I expected. Especially after the three song preview we got with the Dio years.

Maiden33
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Basically, these guys are legends, and it's been 17 years since their last full length studio effort together. I expected much better than this, and I don't think I was wrong in doing so. This was the most boring album I have heard in quite some time and I seriously struggled to not skip through the songs or turn it off on the very first listen.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Basically, these guys are legends, and it's been 17 years since their last full length studio effort together. I expected much better than this, and I don't think I was wrong in doing so. This was the most boring album I have heard in quite some time and I seriously struggled to not skip through the songs or turn it off on the very first listen.

Yeah, I've completely agreed with everything you said so far.

I didn't even go into this album with expectations, just the hope that it'd be, at the least, no worse than The Dio Years tracks, and really, with the exception of "Bible Black" - it is.

GameFreac
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah the new album disappointed me too

SomewhereInTime72
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I really like Bible Black. And that's all. :(

HandOfDoom
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I really like Bible Black. And that's all. :(

I'ma liking that Atom and Evil and Fear

Fe Maiden
04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Lot's of folks on the Maiden board seem to like it:confused:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Lot's of folks on the Maiden seem to like it:confused:

:eyes:

2handband
04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Lots of folks on the Maiden forum like Virtual XI too.

Fe Maiden
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
:eyes:
fixed:D

Sanitarium78
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
It's a good album nice heavy Iommi riffs the only complaint from me is it seems Dio didn't put the thought into a lot of the lyrics he usually does maybe that was the plan or maybe the record company wanted them to put something out so he didn't have the time to write it the way he wanted.

Still a solid effort form them:blaze: