PDA

View Full Version : NEW FUCKING MAIDEN ALBUM IN PLANNING!

HandOfDoom
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
According to BANG Media International, IRON MAIDEN will start work on its next album this year. The group hopes to have a new album out and be back on tour in 2010.

Guitarist Adrian Smith told BANG showbiz: "At the end of the year we'll be writing again, rehearsing and recording at the beginning of next year. Then we'll be back out on the road again next year. Kevin Shirley [producer] will be working on it with us and we'll probably be doing it somewhere where we've done a lot for recording in the past."

The next IRON MAIDEN album will be the band's fifteenth studio record, and they face a challenge to follow up their last effort, 2006s "A Matter of Life and Death" which was received well critically and saw the band tour playing the whole album.

Speaking at the premiere of the band's documentary film "Iron Maiden: Flight666", Adrian added: "There's always a bit of pressure to follow up the last album, in a way it's good because it motivates you.

"We never get complacent; we always try our best for our own sake as much as anything else. As far as pressure for another album, we just do what we do - we've been doing it long enough now, we know what we're doing [laughs]"

Source:http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=118583

ADD
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm down :cool:

Anyone else think it'll be the last one though?

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm down :cool:

Anyone else think it'll be the last one though?

I'm honestly not sure. I think they have the time left in them to do at least another one after this, it's just a matter of what they wind up doing after this new album. If they do another theme tour or hits tour or something, it'll eat up a lot of time. I'm really not sure, but obviously I'm always hoping for more, especially if they maintain the quality since the reunion.

ADD
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm honestly not sure. I think they have the time left in them to do at least another one after this, it's just a matter of what they wind up doing after this new album. If they do another theme tour or hits tour or something, it'll eat up a lot of time. I'm really not sure, but obviously I'm always hoping for more, especially if they maintain the quality since the reunion.
Yeah. Ya think it'll be along the same lines as the last few? I doubt they change it up at this point, but just one straight up balls out heavy rocker with no acoustic instrumentation would be sweet. But whatever its 2009 and theres new Maiden on the way, its fucking happy time :cool:

Fe Maiden
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Great news! I don't know whether to be more excited about a new album or the tour next year!:light:

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
This is going to be incredible, I am sure.

ChildrenofSodom
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Iron Maiden are going to die til the day they do it, mang.

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah. Ya think it'll be along the same lines as the last few? I doubt they change it up at this point, but just one straight up balls out heavy rocker with no acoustic instrumentation would be sweet. But whatever its 2009 and theres new Maiden on the way, its fucking happy time :cool:

Yeah. I love the longer, more bombastic songs, but I think a few more shorter (3.5-5 minute) songs that are uptempo and get right to the point wouldn't hurt. I don't think the formula will change much overall, but even with their similarities, there are sonic and stylistic differences between all 3 reunion albums thus far.
And yes, unless Maiden does something very stupid and unsuspected, I don't see how this won't be really good.

ravenheart
04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Their plan has been album, album tour, album tour DVD, theme tour, theme tour DVD, lather, rinse, repeat. And I'm pretty sure they want to do a theme tour for each era up to Bruce's return, which means at least two more theme tours, which by my reckoning means two more album cycles as well.

That'd make them about as old as bands like Priest by the time they get there, which I don't think is out of the realms of possibilty.

I guess we'll see.

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Their plan has been album, album tour, album tour DVD, theme tour, theme tour DVD, lather, rinse, repeat. And I'm pretty sure they want to do a theme tour for each era up to Bruce's return, which means at least two more theme tours, which by my reckoning means two more album cycles as well.

That'd make them about as old as bands like Priest by the time they get there, which I don't think is out of the realms of possibilty.

I guess we'll see.

I've said this before, I really can NOT see them doing a 90s theme tour. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it, I like both Blaze albums and love half of Fear of the Dark. However I just don't think it's going to happen. Most people don't want it and/or don't care, and I think the band knows that the 90s was collectively by far their weakest period, and know there's not a ton of strong, in-demand material from it.

ravenheart
04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
So a Seventh Son themed tour and we're done? Or a repeat of the Another Live/Dead One Tour?

Div
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
as much as i liked amolad, i hope that they dont follow that pattern again for this album

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I've said this before, I really can NOT see them doing a 90s theme tour. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it, I like both Blaze albums and love half of Fear of the Dark. However I just don't think it's going to happen. Most people don't want it and/or don't care, and I think the band knows that the 90s was collectively by far their weakest period, and know there's not a ton of strong, in-demand material from it.
as much as i liked amolad, i hope that they dont follow that pattern again for this album

I agree with both of you here.

powerslave_85
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I'll be honest: I'd be perfectly happy if they put out a new album, did a tour for it, and then did one last farewell tour. Not that I think they're starting to suck or anything, but it's better to go out still on the the top of your game than overstay your welcome. I don't want them to become KISS.

DethMaiden
04-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I am very excited for this and hope it is not their last album nor their penultimate tour.

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM

I hope by this, you mean you hope they don't abandon a great idea like playing the whole album live by dropping half of it to pick some of their most overplayed and generic songs back up. :D

Div
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope by this, you mean you hope they don't abandon a great idea like playing the whole album live by dropping half of it to pick some of their most overplayed and generic songs back up. :D

i dont really care if they play it live or not, what i meant was that i hope the albums sounds a bit more "fuck yea" and a bit less "though i walk through the shadow of the valley of death"

Wizzbang11
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
So a Seventh Son themed tour and we're done? Or a repeat of the Another Live/Dead One Tour?

As amazing as a 7th son tour would be, I don't think it's going to happen.
I bet the 3 songs we got on SBIT were the extent of it.

Although I need to see Infinite Dreams live :(.....

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe they'll finally decide to come back to Dallas. They've skipped us the last three times.

SirLardsAlot
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Am I the only one that thought AMOLAD was ... average?

overkiller
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Am I the only one that thought AMOLAD was ... average?

Nope, it was.

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Nope, it was.

In your opinion.

JRA
04-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Correction, it was Maiden retreading the same boring sound. It was fucking awful, repetitive, and pretty damn close to uncreative

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Correction, it was Maiden retreading the same boring sound. It was fucking awful, repetitive, and pretty damn close to uncreative

Alright, you are entitled to your own opinion. Repetitive? I'll give you that one. Uncreative? Yeah, I guess.

However, if you like Brave New World and Dance of Death, A Matter of life and Death can NOT be horrible. I'm sorry, but I'm using your own logic against you here. If they are treading the same waters is it uncreative? Yes. But if you liked it the first time, even if you don't like it again, there is no way you can hate it, unless you are one of those douche bag people who thinks that if something isn't as different as it can be, it sucks on principle. Also, I strongly beg to differ about the sound being boring in the first place.

I do agree with the general sentiment that the newer records sound quite alike, and could use more uptempo songs and a few fresh ideas. But if you liked Brave New World and Dance of Death, calling A Matter of life and Death is logistically impossible, unless you are hating it on principle.

JRA
04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Alright, you are entitled to your own opinion. Repetitive? I'll give you that one. Uncreative? Yeah, I guess.

However, if you like Brave New World and Dance of Death, A Matter of life and Death can NOT be horrible. I'm sorry, but I'm using your own logic against you here. If they are treading the same waters is it uncreative? Yes. But if you liked it the first time, even if you don't like it again, there is no way you can hate it, unless you are one of those douche bag people who thinks that if something isn't as different as it can be, it sucks on principle. Also, I strongly beg to differ about the sound being boring in the first place.

I do agree with the general sentiment that the newer records sound quite alike, and could use more uptempo songs and a few fresh ideas. But if you liked Brave New World and Dance of Death, calling A Matter of life and Death is logistically impossible, unless you are hating it on principle.

I did like Brave New World and Dance Of Death, but I also noticed that Harris was basically doing the same thing on X factor and Virtual XI. So I'm thinking, alright Steve, time for you to move on. And he never did. :hecho:

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't know, sometimes I think people just get too picky about things like this. When you consider how many other bands have long careers and never really change their sound, Maiden are hardly standing alone. Especially considering that for the first 15 years of their career, Maiden never went more than 2 albums without changing or evolving. There's nothing wrong with finding a formula that works and just working with it for a long period of time. Being that I've heard people argue that every single reunion album has been one of the best or best album Maiden have ever done, I'd say it's been working. Do I hope the new album will elaborate and cover new territory? Of course. But I also know that even if they give us a batch of songs in the vein of the last several efforts, it will be a great album, even though it won't be ground breaking in any way. And to tell you the truth, I'm perfectly fine with that.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm starting to think AMOLAD is the best reunion album. I feel like they've finally really mastered that "sound." IMO, BNW is the 'flop' if there is one (not that it isn't fucking awesome).

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm starting to think AMOLAD is the best reunion album. I feel like they've finally really mastered that "sound." IMO, BNW is the 'flop' if there is one (not that it isn't fucking awesome).

I don't know where this Brave New World nonsense has come from. I remember back when I got into Maiden, BNW was a landmark album and widely loved by most. It still remains my all-time second favorite Maiden album. I think it is BY FAR the best sounding Kevin Shirley album, and really just captures a great magic that has never been on a Maiden album before or since. There are certainly a couple of iffy songs (The Fallen Angel is the big obvious one), but 3 or 4 of the tracks on there are top 25 all-time Maiden songs for me.

LoveInSlowMotion
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Fucking finally. Been waiting for this news all fucking year.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't know where this Brave New World nonsense has come from. I remember back when I got into Maiden, BNW was a landmark album and widely loved by most. It still remains my all-time second favorite Maiden album. I think it is BY FAR the best sounding Kevin Shirley album, and really just captures a great magic that has never been on a Maiden album before or since. There are certainly a couple of iffy songs (The Fallen Angel is the big obvious one), but 3 or 4 of the tracks on there are top 25 all-time Maiden songs for me.

The Thin Line... is one of my favorite Maiden songs EVER. However, I think compared to the other two, the album as a whole is a bit lacking.

...aaaaand The Wicker Man is one of the most overrated Maiden songs ever. ;) I don't really like saying negative things about the album though, because no matter what I can say about it that makes it not perfect, I still think it's incredible.

Major fanboyism. :fist:

Maiden33
04-22-2009, 11:37 PM
The Thin Line... is one of my favorite Maiden songs EVER. However, I think compared to the other two, the album as a whole is a bit lacking.

...aaaaand The Wicker Man is one of the most overrated Maiden songs ever. ;) I don't really like saying negative things about the album though, because no matter what I can say about it that makes it not perfect, I still think it's incredible.

Major fanboyism. :fist:

I am with you on both songs. I've thought The Thin line is incredible, and has a totally amazing emotional vibe Maiden practically never do. Particularly with the "I will hope - my soul will fly" bit. It is in my top 20 songs.

And yeah, The Wicker Man. In truth it is basically the song that made me fall in love with Maiden. I heard about a dozen before-hand, all of which I liked, but that chorus was just earth-shattering to my then practically virgin ears. But time hasn't served it well. I don't favor it in the top half of the album.

But I got to give massive props to Blood Brothers and the title track, which are the other top 20 songs of mine. Can't quite put my finger on it, but those two songs just get me in such a way.

Div
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
anyone know what bruce says at the very end? something like "ahh i fucking nailed it"?

SomewhereInTime72
04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
anyone know what bruce says at the very end? something like "ahh i fucking nailed it"?
Nicko says "I fucking missed it!" and then you hear a recording of two other members (not sure who) laughing about it.

ADD
04-23-2009, 12:40 AM

I would've thought you were above this line of thinking when it comes to judging music, especially rock, and especially Maiden.

All I can say to your post is Motorhead :metal:

TonyD
04-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Don't you mean power metal :eyes:

ADD
04-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Don't you mean power metal :eyes:

:D

My point is JRA, when it comes to music and art, "its not what you say, its how you say it". We'll leave it at that.

JRA
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I would've thought you were above this line of thinking when it comes to judging music, especially rock, and especially Maiden.

All I can say to your post is Motorhead :metal:

It's a case by case basis. Motorhead have the reputation for putting out the same album over and over again though, with practically no subtle differences.

Maiden on the other hand do not have that reputation. And they've put out the same album 3 times in a row now.

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
NO THEY HAVEN'T IRON MAIDEN TILL THE DAY I DIE MOTHERFUCKER

ADD
04-23-2009, 03:35 PM
It's a case by case basis. Motorhead have the reputation for putting out the same album over and over again though, with practically no subtle differences.

Maiden on the other hand do not have that reputation. And they've put out the same album 3 times in a row now.
Disagree with the last statement. Since BNW each album has gotten more hard rock/prog/mellow than the previous one.

BNW= The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Mercenary, Fallen Angel
DOD= Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier
AMOLAD= Different World, Lord of Light (kinda)

Less heavy in general, longer songs, acoustic intros/outros, yadda yadda yadda. Comes with age too.

mankvill
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought some of the songs on AMOLAD were heavy as balls, just not throughout the whole song. I think The Longest Day was one of them. Or Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

JRA
04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Point bein if Maiden continues pulling this shit, fuck em to unholy hell!

mankvill
04-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Point bein if Maiden continues pulling this shit, fuck em to unholy hell!

Soitenly.

ravenheart
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Disagree with the last statement. Since BNW each album has gotten more hard rock/prog/mellow than the previous one.

BNW= The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Mercenary, Fallen Angel
DOD= Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier
AMOLAD= Different World, Lord of Light (kinda)

Less heavy in general, longer songs, acoustic intros/outros, yadda yadda yadda. Comes with age too.

Disagree. I thought DoD was MUCH heavier than BNW.

PowerMaiden
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS !

Cheers !
Power:666:Maiden

Maiden33
04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
In all honesty I think Maiden has basically matured into the band they have always been destined to become. The members speak openly about how they grew up on Prog Rock, and Steve in particular loves long and bombastic stuff. I think as time went on and Maiden came into 100% artistic freedom, they were able to move away from just trying to make uptempo metal songs and onto making bombastic songs. They first embarked on the sound in the Blaze years, and since then it has certainly matured and evolved within itself. I think Brave New World is the best album of the whole bunch, but it still suffers from a little bit of immaturity that I think A Matter of life and Death does not, even though the highs are not quite as high. They still throw out an uptempo song or two, but I think with age Maiden has basically just shifted gears into a different band than they were 25 years ago, while still being 100% true to what they have always been about.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Soitenly.

The Goimans?

SerpentineVIVIVI
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
In all honesty I think Maiden has basically matured into the band they have always been destined to become. The members speak openly about how they grew up on Prog Rock, and Steve in particular loves long and bombastic stuff. I think as time went on and Maiden came into 100% artistic freedom, they were able to move away from just trying to make uptempo metal songs and onto making bombastic songs. They first embarked on the sound in the Blaze years, and since then it has certainly matured and evolved within itself. I think Brave New World is the best album of the whole bunch, but it still suffers from a little bit of immaturity that I think A Matter of life and Death does not, even though the highs are not quite as high. They still throw out an uptempo song or two, but I think with age Maiden has basically just shifted gears into a different band than they were 25 years ago, while still being 100% true to what they have always been about.

Couldn't have said it better :D

Butcher of Birth
04-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I second Maiden33's statement. Growing up for them does seem like longer songs for them, I feel 7th Son was the perfect forshadowing of this.

It took me a very long time to get in AMOTAD, mainly due to length and what have you. Out of the Past 3, BNW is still topping my list, and DOD still hasn't shown me much lol.

I do hope for some more shorter songs, anywhere from 5-7 minutes is fine. I just hope it's not a 10 Tracker pushing 100 Minutes in Length haha.

ravenheart
04-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Double concept album with intros for every song! ;)

Butcher of Birth
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Double concept album with intros for every song! ;)

haha. 1st Disc is just Intros, 2nd Disc the Songs ;)

Maiden33
04-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Honestly, this is basically what I'm hoping for. I will now attempt to map out what I would consider the perfect new Maiden album:

1.Uptempo track, similar to the past 4 album openers at this point. 4-odd minutes.
2.Uptempo track, somehow like Rainmaker followed Wildest Dreams 4-odd minutes.
3.longer, more epic track. 6-8 minutes.
4.Midtempo average length song. Something pretty much totally absent from newer Maiden material. Wasted Years, Flight of Icarus, and things like that come to mind. 4-6 minutes.
5.longer, more epic track. 6-8 minutes.
6.Up tempo song. 4-5 minutes.
7.longer, more epic track. 6-8 minutes.
8.Something ball-like. The closest thing I can think of would be Out of the Shadows. Maiden don't often do ballad-type stuff but I think they're great with it and Bruce usually shines here. 5-odd minutes.
9.Meh, not really sure. Could go for something long and bombastic or another uptempo or midtempo track.
10.Something superly bombastic. Maiden do a lot of long songs, but I'd kill for them to throw something at us that's got a shitload of different sections and passages and clocks in over 10 minutes. Especially since the possibility is there for this to be Maiden's last album, I'd love for them to give this a shot.

Butcher of Birth
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
In related Maiden News, I've been remastering their music videos and uploading them on youtube for viewing. All the videos contain the same footage, but I put in Lossless Audio for 100% perfect sound from the original recordings!

Make sure you click "HD" to maxiumize your viewing/listening pleasure :)

The Wicker Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0LXofBtUM&feature=channel_page)

Different World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53ppVXszRA)

Can I Play With Madness? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohm-7rIP9cQ)

Wasted Years (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Cdp9Agwl8&feature=channel)

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcoDrCYemx0)