PDA

View Full Version : Comics/Graphic Novels Discussion Thread

DethMaiden
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I know a few of you are anime fags, but does anyone besides me read graphic fiction with good art? ;)

My two favorite writers by far are Alan Moore (kind of ubiquitous, I know) and Brian K. Vaughan (who may be on his way to surpassing Moore in my book). After Moore and Vaughan I'd say my favorites are Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, and Archie Goodwin.

Favorites in terms of books would be Watchmen (naturally, again), V for Vendetta, the Ex Machina series (easily the best active series and possibly the best story in the graphic medium EVER), the Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? run of Superman, Pride of Baghdad, Saga of the Swamp Thing (mainly Moore's stuff), the 100 Bullets series, some Sin City, and Batman: The Killing Joke. And who doesn't love ancient Bob Kane Batman and Stan Lee Marvel comics?

Discuss.

SomewhereInTime72
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
*sit72 manga post here*

Div
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg

http://utenti.quipo.it/fumetti_manga/berserk/berserk_cop25.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/Monster1_5001.jpg

vinland saga is a pretty epic viking story taking place during their invasion of britain, berserk is just metal as fuck, and that last one is probably one of the best stories ive ever read. no fantasy elements in it, just dark and suspenseful reality.

DethMaiden
04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I strongly dislike "that kind" of art. I know I probably don't know shit about it, but I generally steer clear.

ChildrenofSodom
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I just finished Pride of Baghdad and I loved it. And I really like the V for Vendetta/Watchmen movies, so I probably would like the novels.

powerslave_85
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I've only read Watchmen. I want to borrow From Hell from my friend in the near future.

Wizzbang11
04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, Alan Moore kicks ass.
Saga of Swampthing is the best "super hero" stuff I've read, it's amazing.
I also dig post Moore Swampthing and Hellblazer(all eras).

Don't really like anime.

As far as Frank Miller I read 300 and one of the Sin City volumes (Yellow Bastard or something?) and was thoroughly unimpressed, so I haven't read anything else.

As far as typical comics go I haven't really read anything in a few years but Deadpool was always my favorite things from marvel, although some weapon x stuff was pretty cool.

SomewhereInTime72
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/Monster1_5001.jpg

I've been watching the anime version of this, and it's on the way to being one of my favorite shows I've seen, anime or television, period. The story is so intense (yet hella slow paced).

ChildrenofSodom
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I've read Dragonball manga...and I like it. I don't think its fair to discuss graphic novels/comics exclusively with Frank Miller and Moore and Vaughn and 'those kinds of people.' I think you have to open up the genre, its vast.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I've only read two... Maus I/II and Watchmen. I enjoyed both. Anybody else here read Maus by Art Spiegelman?

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I've read Dragonball manga...and I like it. I don't think its fair to discuss graphic novels/comics exclusively with Frank Miller and Moore and Vaughn and 'those kinds of people.' I think you have to open up the genre, its vast.

:cool:

Now, I haven't read that many ermmm American graphic novels, but I'm really interested in Watchmen, partially 'cause of all the hype, but the concept really does sound awesome to me. I really hated the movie V for Vendetta (I always get shit for this, but I honestly think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen), however I've been told that I should still read it because it's a lot better so maybe I'll check that out as well. What others would y'all people recommend?

As far as manga goes, I'm an enthusiast. A great manga to get started on the thing with is Death Note (err. the first half is great, it's unfortunately :zzz: after a certain event, but before that it's pretty much a classic). Good, thoughtful, puzzling writing and cool art. I'm also a big fan of the FLCL manga, incredibly short yet... silly, confusing, and awesome. The World God Only Knows is currently in progress (AND NOT BEING TRANSLATED QUICKLY ENOUGH GRRRRRRR) and is totally awesome too, it's just about this kid who is super-obsessed with dating sims being forced to try and seduce real girls (which he claims he hates) and the whole thing is generally hilarious (I loves me some comedy manga).

Then you've got yerr comic books. Old school. :eyes: I used to love reading Sonic the Hedgehog comics when I was a kid. I feel weird about that now! :lol: I'm a fan of the marvel comics because I think the characters created there are incredibly varying and interesting and badass. Not to mention the entire Civil War thing was AWESOME. Kicks DC's ass. :eek: :tongue:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I read comics. Mostly DC and mostly Batman.

JRA
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Then you've got yerr comic books. Old school. :eyes: I used to love reading Sonic the Hedgehog comics when I was a kid. I feel weird about that now! :lol:

So did I. I read that franchise up until a little before the 100th issue, after that I lost interest, though I'll still flip through it if I'm in a Borders or something.

Also, Maus is amazing.