PDA

View Full Version : Herman Li Guitar Clinic -- Cerritos, CA -- April 14th, 2009

rjturtle9
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
wow what a birthday i had!!!! (speaking of birthdays, nobody made me a birthday thread :bouville: ) Herman Li was awesome on the guitar and was very nice at answering the questions, even the stupid ones that people asked. the highlight for me, besides meeting him, was when he said "I'll shit on your head" haha

Here's what he played

Heroes Of Our Time
Reasons To Live
The Last Journey Home
Through The Fire And The Flames

SomewhereInTime72
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
:eyes: So was he drunk.

Maiden33
04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Herman Ri is a funny excuse for a guitar player.

Wizzbang11
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Herman Ri is a funny excuse for a guitar player.

He's not a bad guitar player, he's just not "the shit" like everyone seems to think he is.
The main reason I can no longer stomach Dragonforce is their fans and the mainstream reaction to them, ie. thinking Li is the fastest guitarist alive.

Natrlhi
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
He's not a bad guitar player, he's just not "the shit" like everyone seems to think he is.
The main reason I can no longer stomach Dragonforce is their fans and the mainstream reaction to them, ie. thinking Li is the fastest guitarist alive.

Fastest? No. If people think that's fast, they should check out Mohammed Suicmez of Necrophagist (who I love), or maybe Chris Arp from Psyopus (who is so fast, I actually find their music difficult to like, because I can't even wrap my feeble brain around it :eyes:). Then there are not only the guitarists (both of them) but also the bass player from Origin. Those dudes are all sick. No, Herman Li is not the shit. He ain't bad, but he ain't the shit (IMHO).

Nat :horns:

TonyD
04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArpMprDmj54)

Wizzbang11
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Fastest? No. If people think that's fast, they should check out Mohammed Suicmez of Necrophagist (who I love), or maybe Chris Arp from Psyopus (who is so fast, I actually find their music difficult to like, because I can't even wrap my feeble brain around it :eyes:). Then there are not only the guitarists (both of them) but also the bass player from Origin. Those dudes are all sick. No, Herman Li is not the shit. He ain't bad, but he ain't the shit (IMHO).

Nat :horns:

I'm not arguing with that, but the common view of Dragonforce within mainstream media, music fans, and 12 GH players is that their guitarists, especially "the asian one", are the fastest.

Valley of the Damned is a great power metal album, the others arent so great, but none of it is mindblowingly fast, or amazingly musically impressive in any regard.

ravenheart
04-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not arguing with that, but the common view of Dragonforce within mainstream media, music fans, and 12 GH players is that their guitarists, especially "the asian one", are the fastest.

Valley of the Damned is a great power metal album, the others arent so great, but none of it is mindblowingly fast, or amazingly musically impressive in any regard.

The main problem with Dragonforce, asides from their retarded fans, is that it's all fast. And all the same fast. Their music is boring after two songs.

SerpentineVIVIVI
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
The main problem with Dragonforce, asides from their retarded fans, is that it's all fast. And all the same fast. Their music is boring after two songs.

Thats the thing that kills it: the repetitiveness. Write a slower song, different tuning, different vocal line, step out of the "safety zone".

andrew_metalhead
04-16-2009, 06:45 PM
? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArpMprDmj54)
OMG! ROFL!!

rjturtle9
04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
i love draognforce, and i love herman li, but all the people that say they are the fastest band and that he's the fastest guitar player are clueless noobs. the only thing i don't like about them are their ignorant guitar hero fan base. i love everything else.

and yes i would like them to take more risks on their albums and get away from the playing nothing but fast cords and solo stuff. yes, a lot of their material sounds alike, but then again, i find many others to be the same way

Derelict
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that this thread got trolled

Bloodcurse
04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd rather have my asshole sewn shut with a rusty needle than sit through 2 minutes of Dragonforce. I don't understand the hype at all.

rjturtle9
04-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that this thread got trolled

i know. i thought everyone loved them :bouville:

ChildrenofSodom
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
FYI - Birthday threads have to be earned.

rjturtle9
04-16-2009, 08:27 PM
FYI - Birthday threads have to be earned.

:finger2:

JRA
04-16-2009, 08:43 PM
:finger2:

Yea Cameron, that was a dick way of putting it.

By "earning it" he means you just have to be around frequent enough that people recognize you.

rjturtle9
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Yea Cameron, that was a dick way of putting it.

By "earning it" he means you just have to be around frequent enough that people recognize you.

yeah true, i have been on this site for over a year, but i guess i don't post as much as people that do get birthday threads. and besides i wasn't really serious about that haha. it's all good ;)

bunghole
04-16-2009, 10:14 PM
the first album was great

after that - yeah kinda boring

I do like Herman Li though. They don't seem to take it too seriously

also, CERRITOS huh? did you tell Doug he rules? :dance:

Maiden33
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Valley of the Damned was a decent cheesy power metal album. It was pretty good for a debut album, and actually had a bit more variation than the stuff they've put out since. Back then is basically just seemed like they were a really cheesy band that played very fast, kind of a novelty, but nothing major. The second album was a bit more overdone, but still listenable once in a huge while. Then after the whole stupid Fire and the Flames Guitar Hero thing, it all just blew up WAY the fuck too big. Inhuman Rampage took things past the point of no return in terms of making shitty hyperspeed video game music. Not to mention the retarded fanbase this band generally attracts. I liked the first two albums enough to warrant a trip to see them in early 2006, but it was one of the only shows I've ever walked out on. It was awful. I was just bored beyond all belief, from the likeness of the songs to the sloppiness of the playing. I don't believe either guitarist has ANY substance whatsoever. Any pointless skills they have are completely canceled out by their inability to write any kind of decently memorable melodies, leads, or solos. At the very least, at least other wanky guitarists built on speed have the decency to at least be extremely proficient, unlike them.

ravenheart
04-17-2009, 01:57 AM
i love draognforce, and i love herman li, but all the people that say they are the fastest band and that he's the fastest guitar player are clueless noobs. the only thing i don't like about them are their ignorant guitar hero fan base. i love everything else.

and yes i would like them to take more risks on their albums and get away from the playing nothing but fast cords and solo stuff. yes, a lot of their material sounds alike, but then again, i find many others to be the same way

You are the only reasonable Dragonforce fan on the planet. :rocker:

b_halperin
04-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Inhuman Rampage took things past the point of no return in terms of making shitty hyperspeed video game music.

I hope you do know that it was not their intent to have any of their songs in video games. i hope you know that their intents haven't changed. Maybe they're labeled with shitty hyperspeed video game music, but I'm sure they do not take kindly to the generalization.

bunghole
04-17-2009, 07:36 AM
they do not take kindly

http://images.southparkstudios.com/img/content/characters/134a.jpg

Maiden33
04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I hope you do know that it was not their intent to have any of their songs in video games. i hope you know that their intents haven't changed. Maybe they're labeled with shitty hyperspeed video game music, but I'm sure they do not take kindly to the generalization.

I hope you do know that in order for the song to be in the game, the makers HAD to ask the band, so you can't argue that they had nothing to do with its inclusion.
I hope you realize that by "video game" music, I don't mean that it was IN a video game, I mean that their music SOUNDS like old nintendo game music, played absurdly fast and ridiculously. If I meant that it was IN a game, by that logic about a dozen bands I actually like would also be shitty video game music, which the are not. Dragonforce is "shitty video game music" because their music sounds like, as I said, the soundtrack to a really ridiculous old school video game, not aided by their complete wankery and guitar noises, and the fact that their music sounds like it was made by cheese-tastic robot machines that have come fuck music in the ass.

sneakbobcat
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM

he's not!?:eek:

SomewhereInTime72
04-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Old school video game music > opeth > dragonforce.

bunghole
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Old school video game music > opeth > dragonforce.

i'd put dragonforce over opeth, otherwise yeah old school nintendo music is better

Wizzbang11
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
he's not!?:eek:

Just because he's not bad doesn't mean he's good :D
I think more competent.

SilentSoldier144
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope you do know that in order for the song to be in the game, the makers HAD to ask the band, so you can't argue that they had nothing to do with its inclusion.

You're right, in a sense. Yes, they HAD to ask the band. But if the band disapproved, then the makers of Guitar Hero would make their own version of TTFAF and other songs, making Dragonforce look bad. They do the same with all Black Sabbath songs, ever notice that? I'd rather have my original song available for others to play on a video game instead of a terrible remake.

Wizzbang11
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Well they certainly seem to have loved everything that GH has brought them, infact I think one of them even plays a guitar with a GH sticker on it. From what I heard of the new album its exactly what the guitar hero obsessed crowd wanted. They may not have been trying to "sell out" at first, but they have certainly jumped into it. They aren't completely free of blame for they fanbase.

bunghole
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
as far as posers and such are concerned - I'll take dorks who like dragonforce over any of the "-core" and scene kids any day.

JuuKun
04-18-2009, 12:39 AM
But if the band disapproved, then the makers of Guitar Hero would make their own version of TTFAF and other songs, making Dragonforce look bad. They do the same with all Black Sabbath songs, ever notice that? I'd rather have my original song available for others to play on a video game instead of a terrible remake.

That was a financial issue. Remember, Guitar Hero didn't start off as a multi-million dollar cash cow. You notice as the series went on, less and less covers were on, until World Tour where ALL of the tracks were master recordings? Because, for the first Guitar Hero - do you think they'd be willing to shell out royalties for master recordings of Black Sabbath, Cream, Deep Purple, Pantera, ZZ Top, Boston, Incubus, etc. tracks, if they had no idea how well the series was going to sell? The fact that it's made over a billion dollars now means that they CAN afford to risk it and do all master tracks, but they couldn't do that at first.

b_halperin
04-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I hope you realize that by "video game" music, I don't mean that it was IN a video game, I mean that their music SOUNDS like old nintendo game music, played absurdly fast and ridiculously. If I meant that it was IN a game, by that logic about a dozen bands I actually like would also be shitty video game music, which the are not. Dragonforce is "shitty video game music" because their music sounds like, as I said, the soundtrack to a really ridiculous old school video game, not aided by their complete wankery and guitar noises, and the fact that their music sounds like it was made by cheese-tastic robot machines that have come fuck music in the ass.

dude, herman li's gonna shit on your head.

Elvenking
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
as far as posers and such are concerned - I'll take dorks who like dragonforce over any of the "-core" and scene kids any day.

Never thought of it that way. Agreed 100%. as long as they don't talk about guitar hero or, dragonforce at least.

It's also quite funny to hear alot of the DF fans say that the other power metal bands are ripping off of dragonforce. How something like, Destiny, or just, anything is a rip off...grinds my gears.

TonyD
04-20-2009, 05:46 AM
i'd put dragonforce over opeth, otherwise yeah old school nintendo music is better

:eek: Blasphemy.

andrew_metalhead
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
:eek: Blasphemy.

lol. sure is!!

metalmilitia54
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Agreed

b_halperin
04-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats the thing that kills it: the repetitiveness. Write a slower song, different tuning, different vocal line, step out of the "safety zone".

they have a slow song on each of their albums.....

Starfire - Valley of the Damned
Dawn Over a New World - Sonic Firestorm
Trail of Broken Hearts - Inhuman Rampage
A Flame For Freedom - Ultra Beatdown

lakebod0m
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM
BOOORINGGGG