PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon -- Birmingham, AL -- April 10th, 2009

bwahhhhhhh
04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Venue: Workplay Theater

One of the best shows i've ever been to! full show was around 2 hours, and they had a screen showing imagery with each song. Also, towards the end, Brent brought his 80-something year old grandmother on stage (he is from Birmingham), and she was going crazy. Quite hilarious.

1st set (Crack the Skye, full album):
Oblivion
Divinations
Quintessence
The Czar
Ghost of Karelia
Crack the Skye
The Last Baron
-----------
Bladecatcher
Colony of Birchmen
The Wolf is Loose
Crystal Skull
Capillarian Crest
Seabeast
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Hearts Alive

Pastulio_
04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
You don't happen to have the Kylesa or Intronaut setlists as well, do you?

TonyD
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Nice!
Was there an intermission?

EchoesOfDecimation
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I can't believe they played "Hearts Alive" on top of all the other songs, that's insane.

JRA
04-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Even though I like it, the fact that they're playing the new album in full annoys me.

Also, have they like disavowed knowledge of the "Call Of The Mastodon" stuff? Not even one song?

bwahhhhhhh
04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
You don't happen to have the Kylesa or Intronaut setlists as well, do you?

I'm afraid i don't. I don't know the names of their songs.. although they both put on spectacular sets. I was especially impressed with Intronaut and will be checking them out further.

Nice!
Was there an intermission?

Sort of.. they left the stage after "the last baron" and i thought they would come back for just an encore.. but it ended up being more like a full second set!

I can't believe they played "Hearts Alive" on top of all the other songs, that's insane.

I couldn't believe it either! They had already played two 10-minute plus songs in "the czar" and "the last baron".. and then to end the show, they played a perfect full length "hearts alive" for like 14 minutes

Pastulio_
04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh well. I can't wait to hear Oblivion, The Czar, and The Last Baron live. It's gonna be insane...

TonyD
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm afraid i don't. I don't know the names of their songs.. although they both put on spectacular sets. I was especially impressed with Intronaut and will be checking them out further.

I'm sure you're still gonna get bombarded with questions because this was the first date, but do you at least have approximate set times?

bwahhhhhhh
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm sure you're still gonna get bombarded with questions because this was the first date, but do you at least have approximate set times?

Roughly...
Intronaut - about 30-45 mins
Kylesa - 45-60 mins
Mastodon - about 2 hours, counting the short break

DethMaiden
04-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Man, I do need to see this if there's a second leg. I still think their live show is a bet underwhelming giving the greatness of their studio output, but that set is too good to pass on.

bwahhhhhhh
04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Man, I do need to see this if there's a second leg. I still think their live show is a bet underwhelming giving the greatness of their studio output, but that set is too good to pass on.

They are definitely well practiced for this tour. i've seen them twice before this.. and though those shows were good, this one kills them. i hope they mix up the 2nd set some during the coming dates.

Natrlhi
04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
The Good News: There is a show at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland on May 2. :rocker:

The Bad News: It's already sold out. :mad:

(but I gots my ticket already :party:)

Nat :horns:

Natrlhi
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Sorry - the above post (good news / bad news) we meant to be a response to DethMaiden.

DethMaiden
04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry - the above post (good news / bad news) we meant to be a response to DethMaiden.

Meh, a show in Cleveland means getting home at 5:30 AM, and I've seen Mastodon twice. I'll wait for a Cincinnati/Columbus/Indianapolis.

ChildrenofSodom
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Even though I like it, the fact that they're playing the new album in full annoys me.

Also, have they like disavowed knowledge of the "Call Of The Mastodon" stuff? Not even one song?

Yeah, I was thinking about that yesterday. They put out that album just like a real album, and its a full-length....alot of people dont consider it an album because its old stuff re-done, but it was released after they started getting popular....you would have figured they would play at least a couple from it...

MikeConnor123
04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
im seeing them may 8th and this is an awesome set, but seriously, no blood and thunder?

Natrlhi
04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that yesterday. They put out that album just like a real album, and its a full-length....alot of people dont consider it an album because its old stuff re-done, but it was released after they started getting popular....you would have figured they would play at least a couple from it...

Well I'm afraid it goes even deeper than that...they somewhat "disavowed" the Remission stuff as well, since they only played one track from that album! :eyes: No Crusher Destroyer, no Mother Puncher, etc.

Still, I guess it's hard to complain if they are playing for approximately two hours. I'm just not that much a fan of their last two albums (and did you notice that the 2nd mega-set is more than 50% material from Blood Mountain?).

I just hope they play this much material on May 2nd, and I guess I'll be a happy Mastodon camper. I know I'm also super stoked for both Kylesa and IntrOnaut (<--their last album made #5 on my best of 2008 list), so there is really no way I can lose on this show! :rocker:

bwahhhhhhh
04-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Well I'm afraid it goes even deeper than that...they somewhat "disavowed" the Remission stuff as well, since they only played one track from that album! :eyes: No Crusher Destroyer, no Mother Puncher, etc.

Still, I guess it's hard to complain if they are playing for approximately two hours. I'm just not that much a fan of their last two albums (and did you notice that the 2nd mega-set is more than 50% material from Blood Mountain?).

I just hope they play this much material on May 2nd, and I guess I'll be a happy Mastodon camper. I know I'm also super stoked for both Kylesa and IntrOnaut (<--their last album made #5 on my best of 2008 list), so there is really no way I can lose on this show! :rocker:

I was talking to a friend who saw them on the third night and he couldn't remember the whole setlist but he said they played both "megalodon" and "mother puncher". So it looks like they are mixing it up a bit night by night.

cladinshadows99
04-14-2009, 09:05 AM
FUCKING awesome set is all I have to say... Cant wait to see this

Natrlhi
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I was talking to a friend who saw them on the third night and he couldn't remember the whole setlist but he said they played both "megalodon" and "mother puncher". So it looks like they are mixing it up a bit night by night.

:party::rocker::punk::shred::rockdevil::party:

jhdeity
04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah I've seen Mastodon 3 times and setlists aways seem to differ slightly from what I read online. I wish more bands did this then I might travel to see several shows on a tour.