PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Golden Gods -- Los Angeles, CA -- April 7th, 2009

b_halperin
04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey! I just got back from the show, it was awesome!! Brian Posehn hosted, and was hilarious! At around 5 o'clock, I arrived at Club Nokia, and was lucky enough to see Andrew (andrew_metalhead) from this site and he let me and my friends come in line with him. He was second in line! Now we're even, as I helped him out with a similar thing on Friday when we saw Lamb of God.

Lets get on to the show!

Killswitch Engage was the first band up. I didn't know what to expect from them. I have heard mixed reviews about their live performances. I was blown away. Adam D. was hilarious and it was just a fun set to participate in!

The setlist went as follows:
1. My Curse
2. (New Song)
3. Holy Diver

I hope to catch them on Mayhem Festival in the Summer!

Suicide Silence took the stage next. I didn't like them, and their performance confirmed my disinterest. It was like listening to one long breakdown. I will give them props for having energy. I've never seen whirlwind headbanging as they provide. I was pissed because there was a lot of hxc dancers in the pit.

I do not know their setlist.

Hatebreed took their sweet ass time to hit the stage. The pits were brutal, and they were everything I imagined them to be. Hatebreed continues to be one of my favorite hardcore band, and Jamey Jasta is a great role model.

I don't know the names of many of their songs but I think it went something like this:
1. Live For This
2. Destroy Everything
3. As Diehard as they Come
4. I Will Be Heard

All That Remains was the one band I had really high hopes for. They exceeded in entertaining me and provided the best mosh pit I've had the pleasure of taking part in. Phil Labonte had so much fucking energy. I love All That Remains, and would also love to see them on Mayhem Festival in the Summer

Their setlist was this:
1. Two Weeks
2. Chiron
3. This Calling

Megadeth was great. I feel bad because I can't name their complete setlist, a total of, 3 songs. I really wanna look into them and learn more of their songs. I believe Andrew got one of their setlists after, so he can definetely post it. My one complaint is that they didn't play my favorite Megadeth song Devil's Island.

Incomplete Setlist:
1. Peace Sells...Use Fire
2. (no clue)
3. Holy Wars

Let me end of saying that there was about a 10 minute intro for Ozzy and he literally came out and mumbled some words for approximately 15 seconds. Still gotta love his music.

Overall, this was a great night. I'm really glad I experienced these bands and got to participate in America's first metal awards show!!

rjturtle9
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Megadeth
Peace Sells
Sweating Bullets
Holy Wars

u said you helped andrew out on friday??? was it holding his stuff in your car for him, cuz if it was i may have saw u after the show. i was the one with the curly hair with him after the show.

b_halperin
04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Megadeth
Peace Sells
Sweating Bullets
Holy Wars

u said you helped andrew out on friday??? was it holding his stuff in your car for him, cuz if it was i may have saw u after the show. i was the one with the curly hair with him after the show.

nah i let him come in line with me. i had been waiting since 12:00. haha, so now were even for that. i didnt see him for most of the show.

rjturtle9
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
oooooh ok never mind loo

andrew_metalhead
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I waited five hours in line for this. Got the rail spot! Megadeth were fuckin amazing!! Head-banged like crazy and made direct eye contact with Chris!!!!

Seeing Ozzy, Slayer, Chuck Billy, Scott Ian, Vinne Paul and Lemmy from up close was also fuckin awesome! I shouted my ass off to greet all these heroes. Dave Mustaine got 'Golden God' award and Ozzy got the lifetime acheivement. I didn't give a shit about any of the other awards as they were fuckin lame as shit. Voted by kids and stupid Magazine emplyees and shit like that I'm sure.
Didn't care for the four opening bands. I was there to see Megadeth and Ozzy and loved every minute of them!! Got 2 free t shirts and a guitar pick before the show which they were giving out to the first few people in line. The Golden Gods shirt is kickass \m/ Don't care much for the hatebreed shirt so gave it to a friend.
Megadeth haven't announced any US dates yet and I'm wondering whats up with that! Oh well at least I saw them at this show although for a very short set. Still worth it for me!!! Who knows may be I need to save up some money and go to Canada to see them, as Dave has said in his most recent blog that they will do four shows with Testament in Canada and there was no mention of US.

Oh here's the winners list by the way .. as I said I cared only for 2 of these awards so don't diss me lol

* Most Awesomely Good Drummer: Vinnie Paul Abbott (HELLYEAH, PANTERA)
* Best Underground Metal Band: ISIS
* Metal Industry Award: Rainbow Bar & Grill
* Best Album: METALLICA
* Honorary Headbanger: Kat Von D
* Golden God: Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH) :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
* Best Riff: SLIPKNOT
* Most Viral Video: PROTEST THE HERO
* Most Metal Athlete: Shaun White
* Best Live Band: SLIPKNOT
* Best New Talent: SUICIDE SILENCE
* Lifetime Achievement: Ozzy Osbourne :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
* Best International Band: DETHKLOK
* MySpace Readers' Choice Award: THE ACACIA STRAIN
* Most Mind-Blowing Guitarist: Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King (SLAYER)
* Hottest Chick In Metal: Marta Peterson (BLEEDING THROUGH)

And oh by the way Megadeth's 1st song was Peace Sells..who's Buying (not 'Use Fire' :lol:) and 2nd song was Sweating Bullets.

Derelict
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow those awards themselves are horrendous

mankvill
04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow those awards themselves are horrendous

I know! Everyone knows Lamb of God had the best riff this year.

es156
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I know! Everyone knows Lamb of God had the best riff this year.

:lol:

It's going to be rough around here for awhile, isn't it.

TonyD
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
It's only gone downhill since giving Baroness the 2007 album of the year honors.

Derelict
04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
:lol:

It's going to be rough around here for awhile, isn't it.

I heard that after this touring cycle is over, lamb of god will be taking a break from music to cure cancer, aids, and world hunger.

mzinn85
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
i sure hope not fuck aids cancer and world hunger i want more lamb of fuckin god

mankvill
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Metal Setlists

is now

Lamb Of God Fucking Rules + soem setlists from other bands

Maiden33
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
http://jacob.twosense.org/images/rolleyes.gif

DethMaiden
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
i sure hope not fuck aids cancer and world hunger i want more lamb of fuckin god

Let's start a new metal setlists without people like this.

Derelict
04-09-2009, 07:31 AM

that is heroic

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM

well yea i kinda expected that from you considering that you have the ability to bitch about an IRON MAIDEN concert :eyes:

Palabra de Dios
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
* Most Awesomely Good Drummer: Vinnie Paul Abbott (HELLYEAH, PANTERA)
* Best Underground Metal Band: ISIS
* Metal Industry Award: Rainbow Bar & Grill
* Best Album: METALLICA
* Honorary Headbanger: Kat Von D
* Golden God: Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH)
* Best Riff: SLIPKNOT
* Most Viral Video: PROTEST THE HERO
* Most Metal Athlete: Shaun White
* Best Live Band: SLIPKNOT
* Best New Talent: SUICIDE SILENCE
* Lifetime Achievement: Ozzy Osbourne
* Best International Band: DETHKLOK
* MySpace Readers' Choice Award: THE ACACIA STRAIN
* Most Mind-Blowing Guitarist: Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King (SLAYER)
* Hottest Chick In Metal: Marta Peterson (BLEEDING THROUGH)

I'm guessing that this is based on the magazine Revolver, which has proven time and time again that it really has no idea about heavy metal. At all. At all. What a fucking terrible "awards" collection is that?

Best drummer, Vinnie Paul Abbot? Not even close. Proscriptor McGovern from Absu destroys everything that guy's done in his whole career. Easily.

Best "underground metal" band = Isis? I like Isis and all, but shouldn't they have been getting that award like 7 years ago, when Oceanic came out? Maybe...but only maybe. This award should go to an actual underground band too...like Lord Weird Slough Feg. You know, a band that not many has heard of, still tour shit bars, but fucking kick ass? How about that?

Best album, Metallica? Miss.

Best riff, Slipknot? :finger:Fuck you.

Most "mindblowing guitarist", Kerry King? :confused: Slayer may be 'classic' and all but Kerry King is one of the most overrated guitar players of all time. He can't even remember those fucking "in the key of random" solos from the Reign in Blood days. What about really fucking talented guitar players like Mattias IA Eklundh or Jørn Viggo Lofstad? Terrible.

Best new talent: Suicide Silence - probably the worst award of all...horrible band.

Best international band: Dethklok. Not only are they fictional, but their creator is fucking American. They missed the point completely. How about all the awesome metal still coming out of Scandanavia, France, Germany, and the UK? Assholes, morons, idiots.

I can't believe that anyone with half a metal brain would support this mockery of a metal "awards" show.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 08:47 AM
yup you are right .. no one WAS there to support the awards .. we were there just to see Megadeth :)

b_halperin
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
yup you are right .. no one WAS there to support the awards .. we were there just to see Megadeth :)

and all that remains and hatebreed

Palabra de Dios
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, I can understand wanting to see Megadeth if they are going to play Sweating Bullets. I've seen them twice and they didn't play it (that's full sets, not 3 songs). Interesting that they threw it into this set. Great song.

But, other than Megadeth...no. Hatebreed and All That Remains? No thank you.

ravenheart
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I heard that after this touring cycle is over, lamb of god will be taking a break from music to cure cancer, aids, and world hunger.

I heard they're going to make a country album.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, I can understand wanting to see Megadeth if they are going to play Sweating Bullets. I've seen them twice and they didn't play it (that's full sets, not 3 songs). Interesting that they threw it into this set. Great song.

But, other than Megadeth...no. Hatebreed and All That Remains? No thank you.

agree :D

I've been lucky enough to see that song both times I've seen Megadeth :). They added it in the Long Beach show last year. I was very surprised that they decided to film the San Diego show for the DVD and not the Long Beach one .. the setlist was better, the crowd response was MUCH better (I have seen the leaked version of the Blood In The Water San Diego DVD)

ravenheart
04-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Head-banged like crazy and made direct eye contact with Chris!!!!

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!8!!1!!

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!8!!1!!

fuck yes!! most amazing moments they were!!

ravenheart
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
(I have seen the leaked version of the Blood In The Water San Diego DVD)

It's not a leaked DVD. It was broadcast on HD-Net.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
It's not a leaked DVD. It was broadcast on HD-Net.

hmm yes it was but wasn't supposed to end up on torrents thats for sure :lol:

Maiden33
04-09-2009, 10:55 AM
well yea i kinda expected that from you considering that you have the ability to bitch about an IRON MAIDEN concert :eyes:

I am a bigger Iron Maiden fan than you.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I am a bigger Iron Maiden fan than you.

there is no such thing as 'bigger fan' :D

Maiden33
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM

I technically agree, but I just felt like being a douche.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM

oh ok :lol:

ravenheart
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Of course there is. He might be a fat bastard... :finger:

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Of course there is. He might be a fat bastard... :finger:

oh yea that's there :eyes:

666ways2love
04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I know why they had this at club nokia @ la live!!!.....because across the street @ staples center is where they have the grammys. and crappy b/s music award shows voted by people that know absolutely nothing about music have to stick together.

TonyD
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Great post lol

mzinn85
04-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Metal after 40 years finally gets a reward show in america and you guys are still not happy. No it is not perfect but at least they are trying we've come along way since jethro tull won the first metal grammy.

andrew_metalhead
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Metal after 40 years finally gets a reward show in america and you guys are still not happy. No it is not perfect but at least they are trying we've come along way since jethro tull won the first metal grammy.
+1 \m/

Maiden33
04-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Please refer to this graphic, again.

A lot of the stuff being "honored" with these awards isn't even remotely respectable in my eyes.

Maiden33
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm guessing that this is based on the magazine Revolver, which has proven time and time again that it really has no idea about heavy metal. At all. At all. What a fucking terrible "awards" collection is that?

Best drummer, Vinnie Paul Abbot? Not even close. Proscriptor McGovern from Absu destroys everything that guy's done in his whole career. Easily.

Best "underground metal" band = Isis? I like Isis and all, but shouldn't they have been getting that award like 7 years ago, when Oceanic came out? Maybe...but only maybe. This award should go to an actual underground band too...like Lord Weird Slough Feg. You know, a band that not many has heard of, still tour shit bars, but fucking kick ass? How about that?

Best album, Metallica? Miss.

Best riff, Slipknot? :finger:Fuck you.

Most "mindblowing guitarist", Kerry King? :confused: Slayer may be 'classic' and all but Kerry King is one of the most overrated guitar players of all time. He can't even remember those fucking "in the key of random" solos from the Reign in Blood days. What about really fucking talented guitar players like Mattias IA Eklundh or Jørn Viggo Lofstad? Terrible.

Best new talent: Suicide Silence - probably the worst award of all...horrible band.

Best international band: Dethklok. Not only are they fictional, but their creator is fucking American. They missed the point completely. How about all the awesome metal still coming out of Scandanavia, France, Germany, and the UK? Assholes, morons, idiots.

I can't believe that anyone with half a metal brain would support this mockery of a metal "awards" show.

More or less my sentiments, Jorn Viggo Lofstad is pretty damn amazing I have to say.

dan12con
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
3-song setlists suck.

rjturtle9
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
this whole award show was fail in my eyes. i love most of the bands that got awards, but i disagree with them recieving them 100%. plus people that went just to see megadeth, u payed wayyyyy too much for 3 songs.

andrew_metalhead
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
this whole award show was fail in my eyes. i love most of the bands that got awards, but i disagree with them recieving them 100%. plus people that went just to see megadeth, u payed wayyyyy too much for 3 songs.

for me it was worth it dude .. bcos its Megadeth. Its better than not seeing them at all .. but thats just my opinion. Plus I had never seen Ozzy and members of Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, etc from THAT close!! As I said I didn't care for any of those "awards" except for Dave and Ozzy's.

TonyD
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
$13 bucks a song? It's your money not mine.